Weirdest/funniest Real Estate Stories!

Weirdest/funniest Real Estate Stories!

Maranda TuckerPro Member
Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 152 posts · 118 votes

I'll go first: we once had an owner not hire us to manage her property because we refused to market the home as "2 bed, 1 bath." Why did we refuse? Because one of the bedrooms had been converted into a music studio. There was a window from the living room looking into the studio, and a window from the other bedroom closet (acting as the sound booth). They didn't see a problem with this! HAHA!

OK YOUR TURN!

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
4y
Quote from @Maranda Tucker:
Quote from @Greg Scott:

One morning a tow truck hauled one of our resident's vehicles back to the apartment.  Something strange was embedded in the front end of the car.

Hahaha oh my gosh!!! 
We had a deceased borrower show up for a court hearing
7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    One morning a tow truck hauled one of our resident's vehicles back to the apartment.  Something strange was embedded in the front end of the car.

  • Maranda TuckerPro Member
    OP
    Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 152 posts · 118 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg Scott:

    One morning a tow truck hauled one of our resident's vehicles back to the apartment.  Something strange was embedded in the front end of the car.

    Hahaha oh my gosh!!! 
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Maranda Tucker:
    Quote from @Greg Scott:

    One morning a tow truck hauled one of our resident's vehicles back to the apartment.  Something strange was embedded in the front end of the car.

    Hahaha oh my gosh!!! 
    We had a deceased borrower show up for a court hearing
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Maranda TuckerPro Member
    OP
    Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 152 posts · 118 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Maranda Tucker:
    Quote from @Greg Scott:

    One morning a tow truck hauled one of our resident's vehicles back to the apartment.  Something strange was embedded in the front end of the car.

    Hahaha oh my gosh!!! 
    We had a deceased borrower show up for a court hearing

     @Chris Seveney A deceased borrower?! 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Rolling through an apartment complex at about 2:30 in the afternoon just looking at it.

    It looked like a B- neighborhood. Decent well kept. Hardly anyone home (= working renters).

    Turning the corner inside the complex on the lawn (15 grown men) down on their knees with their hands behind their heads and a swarm of patrolmen cuffing them.

    I assumed a gang drug bust, but one of the officers said nope--it was prostitution in one of the units with another unit supporting it too (15 grown men--WOW).

    Maybe the other room was a waiting room, I don't know, but I was glad to see it was not Gang activity (and it was being cleaned up).

    I tried asking more questions but the Patrol Officer just said we don't have time--leave now.

    And out came 2 females--quite some business they had there.

  • Investor · Jefferson City, MO · Member since 2020 · 190 posts · 178 votes
    4y

    @Scott Mac  so did you end up trying to buy the place?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Austin Johnson:

    @Scott Mac  so did you end up trying to buy the place?

     No it was not for sale, it was part of an area drive to get to know that area (boots on the ground).

    Drive it, stop in and talk to the mangers, rental agents, maintenance a little, act like a potential renter.

    It's owned by a BIg Name in the business, and they run it HARD and MEAN...and accept some pretty low quality renters compared to the rest of the area.

    I think they are shooting themselves in the foot running it like this, but I have seen a couple other of their operations run similar.

    I think because they are so big, some of their places don't get the best business plan, like they would if a smaller outfit owned it.

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    4y

    Had a listing for a friend that was getting married and they wanted to move out in the country so she could have horses.  Before the open house I played a prank on them.  I google "big black dildo" found an image of one on a dark brown night stand similar to there's, the toy was easy 12inch long.  I sent them the photo about 10 minutes after the open house started and said " your neighbors came through and informed me that you left this on the night stand" and sent them the picture.  It was a group message with him and her on it.  She replied within seconds,  "OMG please put it in the top dresser drawer".   She is about 4'10 100 pound soaking wet!  

    About 2 hours later they came home and she apologized repeatedly for leaving it out and having to ask me to put it away.  He was laughing the whole time and I could't keep a straight face.  

    Sold the house that weekend and 30 days later after closing and right after we took a picture together for Social media I told her it was a prank and it was a picture off google, she  turned bright red.  He new it right away it wasn't there night stand and played along the whole time.  

    I'll never tell if I looked in the top dresser drawer.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    @Maranda Tucker

    Yep it was a foreclosure mediation hearing and the borrower had past but a family member showed up claiming to be the borrower.

    When my attorney told me this he had known the borrower was deceased.

    The individual then said he was “representing” the borrower…

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    2 different properties I used to have, one a LTR, one a flip, had iron bracelets attached to the walls. Must be a thing.

    In one case the neighbors told me what the one use was, I never found out about the other house.....probably didn't want to....

    Maybe I just need to get out more...........

  • Maranda TuckerPro Member
    OP
    Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 152 posts · 118 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    2 different properties I used to have, one a LTR, one a flip, had iron bracelets attached to the walls. Must be a thing.

    In one case the neighbors told me what the one use was, I never found out about the other house.....probably didn't want to....

    Maybe I just need to get out more...........


     No way! They BOTH had iron bracelets?? What are the odds!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Maranda Tucker:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    2 different properties I used to have, one a LTR, one a flip, had iron bracelets attached to the walls. Must be a thing.

    In one case the neighbors told me what the one use was, I never found out about the other house.....probably didn't want to....

    Maybe I just need to get out more...........


     No way! They BOTH had iron bracelets?? What are the odds!


     Just my luck I guess. People never cease to amaze with what they can think up......But I look for those kind of properties...... :-) 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    Here is another one. Today I am trying to figure out how to uncover dead bodies. 

    We have a project site that was an old burial ground. Its a large site (over 5 acres) which was part of a very large tract of land that has since been developed into residential, office etc. The site was slated to be a hotel and is potentially being converted to a different use. The issue is many years ago when they developed the adjacent parcels they used this site to dispose of the fill. Now we have several acres of land with 50+ feet of fill on it. In due diligence for the property, we need to survey the property to find if there are still any bodies. Unfortunately GPR cannot go that deep and we are trying to determine another way without removing several hundred thousand yards of dirt.  

    So the million dollar question (in reality is) how do we find the buried bodies?

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.