Bourbon and Whiskey?

Bourbon and Whiskey?

Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes

This is really going to be off topic!  Who in the BP community is a Bourbon and Whiskey drinker, collector or snob.  I have begun to collect and really learn more about the art of Bourbon and have taken a break from reading books about  Real Estate for a few months to reset a little and have dove head first in to the world of bourbon.  The last 2 years I have collected over 80 different bottle and gotten my hands on a good bit of the staples.  Of course the unicorns are crazy expensive and hard to like the Pappys and Birthday Bourbon are still on my wish list.  So let use this thread to relax a bit a talk Juice! 

So what is everyones FAV's?  I'll start with a craft bourbon out of Chicago,  Koval Bourbon (Wheated).  The aroma is amazing and the taste either neat or over ice is smooth and warm with a little bit of hug!

Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
10Reply
418 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
Moderator
Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y

Hey @Joseph Beilke - To be honest, I just gave up drinking not too long and feel amazing!  I did enjoy bourbon from time to time and my dad does too.  Although I am here in Chicago, I lived in Lousiville and really loved Four Roses.

See this reply in the discussion

90 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    1y

    OK OK OKAY,

    Next closing I'm gonna buy Lagavulin.  You all have peer pressured me into this.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    11mo

    So......  I didn't get Lagavulin yet.  

    I just got back from Ireland and visited the Midleton Distillery, just east of Cork. What an amazing place—the history, the stories, and the overall experience were incredible. I tried a bunch of Irish whiskeys; some I really enjoyed, while others just felt a bit weak.

    My top three were Redbreast 15, Midleton Very Rare, and Blue Spot 7-Year Cask Strength. Later in my travels, I met the son (a bartender) of one of the founding fathers of the Dingle brand in the town of Tralee. Dingle itself is about 75–90 minutes west. They make some amazing whiskey, and I fell in love with their Palace Bar Triple Distilled Sherry Cask. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get a bottle. It was the most flavorful whiskey I had, with a higher proof than most Irish whiskeys, along with great aroma and color.

    I did the “tourist” thing and picked up two bottles of a Jameson distillery-only release. Nothing too special, but they’ll make nice gifts anyway. Overall, I actually drank more beer than whiskey in Ireland and discovered that there are some lighter lagers that I prefer over Guinness.

    One fun shock: after chatting with a few bartenders, I learned that Coors Light is extremely popular in Ireland, two bartenders told me it’s their best seller!

    What have you all been up too???

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
    • James WilcoxBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 601 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

      So......  I didn't get Lagavulin yet.  

      I just got back from Ireland and visited the Midleton Distillery, just east of Cork. What an amazing place—the history, the stories, and the overall experience were incredible. I tried a bunch of Irish whiskeys; some I really enjoyed, while others just felt a bit weak.

      My top three were Redbreast 15, Midleton Very Rare, and Blue Spot 7-Year Cask Strength. Later in my travels, I met the son (a bartender) of one of the founding fathers of the Dingle brand in the town of Tralee. Dingle itself is about 75–90 minutes west. They make some amazing whiskey, and I fell in love with their Palace Bar Triple Distilled Sherry Cask. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get a bottle. It was the most flavorful whiskey I had, with a higher proof than most Irish whiskeys, along with great aroma and color.

      I did the “tourist” thing and picked up two bottles of a Jameson distillery-only release. Nothing too special, but they’ll make nice gifts anyway. Overall, I actually drank more beer than whiskey in Ireland and discovered that there are some lighter lagers that I prefer over Guinness.

      One fun shock: after chatting with a few bartenders, I learned that Coors Light is extremely popular in Ireland, two bartenders told me it’s their best seller!

      What have you all been up too???

      You coming to BPCon 2025? I would enjoy a drink and hearing about the Bourbon travels.

      REI James w/ eXp Realty54 Reviews
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    2mo

    Haven't posted about Bourbon in a while. But what'd to share that I have finial finished collecting the Weller Rainbow.  

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2mo

    Have you tried Lagavullin yet? I have a bottle of that going, along with a bottle of Woodford Reserve on the Bourbon side..... :-)

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    2mo

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Have not tried the Lagavullin yet, but I will check it out today as I plan to drop by the liquor store.  I love Woodford double oak!!!

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2mo

    Lagavulin or Laphroig if you like peat. It's a campfire in a glass.....

    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Eric Gerakos:

      Lagavulin or Laphroig if you like peat. It's a campfire in a glass.....


       Great description! I think I actually prefer Laphroig.....my wife used to tell me I smelled like dirt, Lol.....

  • Realtor · McAllen, TX · Member since 2025 · 141 posts · 58 votes
    2mo

    I usually stick with Jack Daniels 7 or Gentleman's Jack. While having a cigar with my whiskey. Montecristo Classic is my go to cigar. Sometimes I have a Johnnie Walker Black Label with The Banker "Daytrader" by H.UPMANN. 

    Later on, my brother introduced me bourbon. I have tried Blanton's and Noah's Mill. Of these two Noah's Mill is my favorite. Dose anyone know a whiskey or bourbon that complements well with Montecristo? 

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    2mo
    @Bruce Woodruff @Eric Gerakos

    You two would be proud of me today.  I walked into the BJ spirt shop and almost everything Irish whiskey or many Scotch is marked down to sell, lady said they are no longer carry many of many of these.  I saw and I bought the 16yo Lagavulin ($54 out the door) and just took my first sip neat. I'll be honest not a fan of aroma, remind me of cleaning chemical used in hospitals.  As for taste, it's very smooth with a small bite, no real burn and zero hug.  Two drops of water, didn't open it up like it does to bourbon.  Over Ice I enjoy more, the chill makes it more enjoyable to me. I'm having a hard time picking up the notes, not really sweet, or fruit like.  I enjoy the smoky notes but it needs something..... Sorry guys not a fan.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Joseph Beilke:
      @Bruce Woodruff @Eric Gerakos

      You two would be proud of me today.  I walked into the BJ spirt shop and almost everything Irish whiskey or many Scotch is marked down to sell, lady said they are no longer carry many of many of these.  I saw and I bought the 16yo Lagavulin ($54 out the door) and just took my first sip neat. I'll be honest not a fan of aroma, remind me of cleaning chemical used in hospitals.  As for taste, it's very smooth with a small bite, no real burn and zero hug.  Two drops of water, didn't open it up like it does to bourbon.  Over Ice I enjoy more, the chill makes it more enjoyable to me. I'm having a hard time picking up the notes, not really sweet, or fruit like.  I enjoy the smoky notes but it needs something..... Sorry guys not a fan.

      You got to stick with it rookie, lol. The first time I had it I spit it out. It will probably take you a dozen tastings to realize what you're actually tasting. Do not, repeat do not give up.

      You may be an experience whiskey drinker, but this is a whole new world that you're about to enter! Stick with it and you will be happy you did in a few months. I promise. 

      but it is a slippery slope once you acquire the taste, nothing else will do and these smokey Islays are usually about $100 a bottle...
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    2mo

    @Bruce Woodruff

    I narrowed down the smell and taste.

    Chloraseptic throat spray

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.