Does Michael Phelps really eat 12,000 calories a day?

Does Michael Phelps really eat 12,000 calories a day?

Real Estate Investor · Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2008 · 181 posts · 5 votes

So I was on Yahoo, and it said that Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day. Now granted, he is 6'4" which makes for a large guy, and I am pretty sure that swimming consumes alot of calories, but come on, 12,000 calories! That's gotta be inaccurate.
What do you think?

0Reply
53 views

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bellefonte, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 88 votes
    18y

    Could be true, he has to have a very high metabolism.

    -Michael

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    It makes complete sense. He's not a top athlete, but one of the greatest of all time. He's got a sick training regimen and must burn calories like a madman.

    Some people are blessed with a great metabolism. He's blessed with that and a whole lot more.

    Good for him and his 8 golds. I don't think that it could have happened to a seemingly nicer person. He represents athletics and the United States as good as anyone out there.

  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 3 votes
    18y

    I'm sure he'll be getting pleny of free Wheaties from now on! That's a lot of food to consume!

  • Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 351 posts · 40 votes
    18y

    Yes he eats 12,000 calories per day. When I was in season only swimming 3 miles a day I could eat about 8000 a day. I am only 5'8" and weigh 150 pounds. He swims about 5 miles a day and is much bigger... Try swimming 5 miles in a day and see how much food you crave after the two practices. You'll want to eat everything in sight.

  • Real Estate Investor · Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2008 · 181 posts · 5 votes
    18y

    Alright well, my opinion is changed. I've never considered that. And don't get me wrong, I think he's a phenomenal athlete, at the age of 23 he's won 8 gold medals, hell, I'm 23 and the only gold I have I had to go to the store and buy it! I think he's deserving of all his awards, endorsements and all that. I live in Cleveland and of course you know Lebron Jame is here, and I've seen this guy eat at restaurants, and at 6'9" 245, it does'nt seem as if he would eat 12,000 calories a day, I don't know I could be wrong.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    I seem to recall something on the discovery channel about how Lance Armstrong's physiology changed for greater lung capacity because of his training. If training can alter that, the daily calorie intake is probably very easily altered.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    When I grow up, I want to have a junk food addiction like michael phelps! Theres a 70% chance it'll last his entire life! Yay!

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    18y

    Here is what I found listed as an average daily diet for Michael Phelps:

    Breakfast: Three fried egg sandwiches with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions, and mayonnaise.
    A five-egg omelet.
    A bowl of grits.
    Three slices of French toast with powdered sugar.
    Three chocolate pancakes.
    Two cups of coffee.

    Lunch: A pound of pasta with tomato sauce.
    Two large ham, cheese, and mayo sandwiches on white bread.
    Energy drinks.

    Dinner: A pound of pasta with tomato sauce.
    Six to eight pizza slices (basically, a whole pizza!).
    Energy drinks.

  • Real Estate Investor · Central, PA · Member since 2008 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I think some of those items may have gotten mixed in together for different days. Unless someone can prove me otherwise, eating 3 fried egg sandwiches with full dressings AND a five egg omlet in one sitting?? Never mind the other 9 items. Anybody know what a pound of pasta looks like?? That's basically the whole stinkin box if I remember right!

    I understand the concept of the high calories and he would burn a LOT of them swimming 5 miles a day, but I just have a hard time believing that he could actually eat all the foods listed in one day AND swim 5 miles without upset stomach.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    18y

    Its hard believe he eats that much. If he is, I feel sorry for him, because he's killing himself. I know dozens of trainers/weight lifters/distance runners, and none of them would ever think about eating like that. I dont care who you are, or what you do. The body can only process so many protein/carbs/fat/vitamins in a given time anyway, so most of his eating is just that; eating. Granted he needs more than the average, but most of it is wasted.

    Yea, last time I checked 1 pound of pasta was a standard box.

  • Real Estate Investor · Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2008 · 181 posts · 5 votes
    18y

    You gotta be kidding!

    I seriously doubt he eats that much for breakfast. I am seriously under the belief that 12,000 calories comes over the course of an entire day, not at breakfast!

  • Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 351 posts · 40 votes
    18y

    The 12,000 is over the course of the day. He has said that it is usually around 10,000 but at times reaches 12. And I'm telling you its believable. I have played many sports and many for years, football, baseball, basketball, soccer, golf, swimming and water polo. NOTHING is as hard on your body as swim practice. Your body gets so tired and needs all that food to replace all your energy. If you doubt it that much go swim 2 miles at 5:30 (am) and then go back at about 6 and swim 3. You'll quickly find out it is all very true.

    I don't want to sound harsh here but many people underestimate how hard water sports really are.

  • Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    10,000 to 12,000 a day during training is completely possible. 5 miles is a lot more swimming than most people realize.

  • Real Estate Investor · Central, PA · Member since 2008 · 23 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Don't get me wrong, I have no quarrels with the toughness of watersports and the amount of energy it requires to participate. I am in total awe of players in water polo and even more for synchronized swimmers. Those women are amazing! I just wonder that the report on his diet habits aren't blown out of proportion a bit.

  • Real Estate Investor · Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2008 · 181 posts · 5 votes
    18y

    I think its pretty accurate given
    his height his weight and of
    course his amazing ability to win
    8 gold medals. Its just alot of
    freakin food. I wonder if I ate like
    him would I be able to win gold medals?

    LOL

  • Investor · Wall Township, NJ · Member since 2008 · 46 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    He absolutely does, and works off almost all of it......

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    18y

    One of the track coaches has his athletes talking to themselves before an evemnt.

    So I am in Olympic training: talking to myself and eating 12,00 calories a day.

  • Homeowner · Carrollton , AL · Member since 2008 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    18y

    Yeah, it's pretty crazy to see how much Phelps eats. Did you catch that report they did some time last week on Good Morning America? They actually showed you what he ate at which meals of the day.... it was scary :).

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2008 · 792 posts · 30 votes
    18y

    I live in Cleveland and of course you know Lebron Jame is here, and I've seen this guy eat at restaurants, and at 6'9" 245, it does'nt seem as if he would eat 12,000 calories a day, I don't know I could be wrong.

    Lebron and Phelps are apples and oranges. I would be surprised if Lebron regularly did more than 60 minutes of elevated cardio a day (including game days). Not knocking him, it's just that his sport is start, stop, start, stop. Phelps' races are fast, but his training days are looooooong.

    You should see what Ironmen triathletes eat during base training. Not too far off from Phelps (and a lot of them are much smaller).

    However, I was amazed at the quality of the food he was quoted as eating. I would have guessed that there were much more "natural" foods in there.

  • Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 351 posts · 40 votes
    18y


    Haha, I do agree because he is an Olympian. But, you do have to remember he is essentially a college kid at the University of Michigan. Just a normal old guy.
  • Real Estate Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 2 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Josh Morgan:
    10,000 to 12,000 a day during training is completely possible. 5 miles is a lot more swimming than most people realize.

    I can't even run that long.

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 80 posts · 42 votes
    18y

    I heard he burns up to 4000 calories in a single training session (of which he has multiple per day), and that he can't gain weight to save his life!!

  • Member since 2008 · 77 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I know some powerlifters and figure bodybuilders who eat 6000 calories a day when they're bulking, so it's feasible to me that someone could eat more than that during periods of very intesnsive training / competition. Also, people with a lot of lean muscle mass need more calories just to support that mass.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 480 posts · 26 votes
    17y

    Why not just continue phelps news, here. He eats too much for any human, and he obviously loves his bong hits. Weee!

    http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/150832/14-times-Olympic-gold-medal-winner-Michael-Phelps-caught-with-bong-cannabis-pipe.html

    U-S-A! U-S-A!

    make sure you check out the comments from people. people are, "weed fearing", and he should, "continue to smoke pot, because it will make him better." GOD I love america.

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    With a wicked case of the "munchies" 12,000 calories a day would be easy.

    Those HoHo's add up quick

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.