Its Over - Obama Wins - Now What?

Its Over - Obama Wins - Now What?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Ok - Looks like the NY Post called the election for Obama . . . seems like the rest of the nets are tiptoing around it. So, I'll stand behind the Post and call it for Obama.
[UPDATE - It is official - McCain is in the middle of his concession speech]

He ran a great campaign and won. Now comes the hard part . . . running the most powerful country ever.

Only time will tell what is to come, but now Obama has to actually make decisions and stick by them. He has to make decisions that don't just affect a campaign, but that will affect hundreds of millions of people. Can he live up to the job? We'll see. I certainly hope so.

He has made history. He has made millions of people proud. He has been a transformational figure. I accept that.

That said, I did not vote in this election for a person, but for the ideas that the person was fighting for. We've heard a LOT about Change, but now that it is over, we need to get to these issues. No matter what we think about Obama, we have to accept him - he's ours.

I want to talk about issues, but before doing so, I think it is important to discuss the media. One thing that MUST CHANGE is the way the press covers politics. The press is clearly no longer an unbiased source of information. Will they start asking the hard questions, or be entralled with history and talk about that instead of what Obama is going to actually do now that he is the Chief? Will Obama allow the press to challenge him and answer the difficult questions? Several things concerned me in the past few weeks with the way the press was treated by the Obama campaign, and I hope it does not carry forward into Obama's presidency. Our free press is at the heart of our Democracy and we the people must fight to maintain that freedom. We must demand of our press' independence. Without that, we lose a little of ourselves and our freedom.

People are excited and have a right to be, but this election was about issues, right? Here are a few questions I have right now...

What about Iraq?
Are we going to leave Iraq as he promises? How many troops is he going to leave there? What is their role going to be? What happens if we start to see violence rise once again? Do we go back in?

What about Afghanistan?
Is there an exit strategy? How do we get out of there? He has said that we're going to send our troops to the real center of terror, but what then?

What about Pakistan?
Do we go in without their permission to get BinLaden?

What happens in Iran?
Does he continue to allow Iran to pursue Nuclear weapons?

Russia
The Russians have proven that they are looking to spread their dominance once again. How does he handle the growing power of the Russian Bear?

The Economy
How does he stimulate the economy? Is there a plan to stop the tide of foreclosures? Do the bailouts continue? Do we keep printing money to save private companies, or do we let the free market take over?

Health Care
How is he going to pay for the Universal Health Care plan he has promised?

Campaign Finance Reform
After promising to take public funds, he switched and changed his mind. Can he now get out and reform the way our elections are financed?

Immigration
What is the immigration plan for the country? Do we seal the borders? How do we handle the millions of illegals?

Energy
We've been told that we're going to push green energy. . . how does that take effect? Do we drill? What about Nuclear?

UNITER
He promised to bring people together. Who has he brought together? Some red states have turned blue, but has he really changed anything? Is he going to somehow give Republicans a say in his government? I don't personally see the Republicans suddenly agreeing with the Democrats just because of Obama. What is that UNITY going to mean?

CHANGE
Ok, we've got a new president . . . that is definitely a change. He is of the opposite party . . . that is change. GREAT! What REAL change is he going to bring to the country now that he is in power?

These are the REAL questions that we should ALL be asking after the cheering and partying ends.

The next few months until inauguration day are going to be an extremely challenging time for Mr. Obama. Lets all hope that he and President Bush come together and work on a smooth transition for the country through a most turbulent period. We cannot afford to have it any other way.

0Reply
141 views

78 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Josh, I wrote this in another thread before seeing your thread here. I'm adding to it here. Feel free to delete that other thread.

    Anyway as to the economy, looks like the good foreclosure buying is here to stay for another 4 years. Time to minimize "income", maximize deferred income and fly under the radar for a while. I'll definitely be looking into the new government housing programs to see how to profit from that.

    Foreign policy? Lord knows. We'll have to wait and see on that.

    Energy? Lord knows. We'll have to wait and see on that.

    Health Care? This should be interesting. Wonder how everyone's going to react to the new payroll deduction.

    Who knows, under the light of national scrutiny maybe he'll become more of a centrist than he was in the Illinois senate. Dare to dream I guess.

    Whatever happens it's sure going to be an interesting 4 years. I'm glad I moved rural.

    In all seriousness, it is sad his grandmother could not be here for this. That is too bad.

    Tim

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    It really does not matter what your politics are tonight. The fact is we just witnessed a very historic event, and I am proud of that.

    Our country has come a very long way in a short amount of time.

    40+ years ago black folks were sent to the back of the bus, and today we elected our first President of African-American descent.

    That shows a lot about our country, and while I might not agree with his politics, I have never been more proud to be an American than I am tonight!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 557 posts · 70 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Harrison Painter:


    while I might not agree with his politics, I have never been more proud to be an American than I am tonight!



    I will second that. I feel the same. What historic and touching moment.

    As far as Obama, the economy, and business, I like what Jack Welsh said, "now he has to prove he's not owned by the left." Let's hope Tim is right on the centrist call.

    As far as investing. I like Tim's suggestions. That and maybe health care REITS :)

    Obama's ability to inspire and invoke a sense of hope is very powerful. Let's hope he comes through. I think he will, but it feels like it will get worse first. But then better!
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · CA · Member since 2008 · 27 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Harrison, great post!

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Harbor, FL · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Agreed, Historic for the racial aspect, but scary because of his politics and methods.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y

    Now what?

    It's time to get back to work. There is a lot investors should do between now and the end of this year. Tim is right, it is time to maximize deferred income and minimize current incomes. It is time to consider ways to thwart the coming doubling of the capital gains rate. It is time to decide how much we want to allow to be redistributed and put the rest out of their reach. It is time to move IRAs and 401(k)s into self directed retirement plans that will allow you to take your investments offshore.

    This is storm about to wash ashore, it is just time to prepare but fortunately we KNOW what is coming and there is time to prepare.

    For prepared investors this will be a great time to accumulate assets if you do it right. For me personally, President BO will be an incredible boon to the Field Guide. There has already been a spike in members over night.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y


    The socialists are going to attempt to destroy the 1st Amendment through legislation. Just yesterday, Senator Schumer was promoting the "Fairness Doctrine", which is aimed at eliminating right wing talk radio. Better watch what you say Josh, or big brother might decide that your website is unacceptable too! After all, you're promoting capitalism in the new era of socialism.

    What about Iraq? Obviously, he won't be able to withdrawal all of our troops in 16 months as he promised.

    What about Afghanistan? Hopefully, he'll be able to stand up to the far left who want to reduce the size of the military. On Oct. 25th, Barney Frank called for cutting the military by 25%!!!

    What about Iran? Iran will be allowed to have nukes and Israel will face being destroyed. That assumes that Israel doesn't attack Iran before Obama takes office.

    Russia? Appeasement is the word of the day for the left. History repeats itself.

    Economy? There's nothing that he can do to save the economy, and that's not his fault. The US economy has been on a collision course for years. However, he can certainly accelerate the collapse with new entitlements. It's a no win situation for Obama.

    Health Care? He can't implement universal health care because the country is broke.

    Energy? The wacko environmental left will have run of the government. Cap and trade is all but a certainty and the increased fuel and energy costs will kill the economy (even more than they did with the recent oil crisis).

    Uniter? Not unless you can sing the new socialist anthem:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46t_nrySg4

    Change? YOU BET!

    Good Luck, (we're gonna need it)

    Comrade Mike



  • Real Estate Investor · Atlantic , IA · Member since 2008 · 78 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    I agree history was made last night. To be honest this has been a tough election and I was not 100% impressed with either candidate but I do feel that Barack will do alright, anything is better than what Pres. Bush has done/or not done.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by fertilegal:
    I agree history was made last night. To be honest this has been a tough election and I was not 100% impressed with either candidate but I do feel that Barack will do alright, anything is better than what Pres. Bush has done/or not done.


    One thing we can say with certainty now is ...

    We will see.

  • Developer · Chicago Area, IL · Member since 2008 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by biggerpro:
    Its Over - Obama Wins - Now What?

    Time to move to Canada... :cry:

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Canada - they're already socialists!

  • Member since 2008 · 60 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    It is said that construction and manufacturing will flourish under Obama's tenure. This bodes well for RE investors.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 340 posts · 34 votes
    17y

    Congratulations to Obama. He ran an incredible, disciplined campaign. The guy is a cool cat and is the type that I would dread playing at poker.

    As I promised, I am going to give Obama a chance, it is only fair. But, I will be watching closely.

    Despite what some may think, there is no Liberal mandate. People are just plain fed up and wanted some thing different. My advice, triangulate. Did what Clinton did in his later years, went moderate and worked with the Republicans. Because, if Obama becomes a rubber stamp for the Reid/Pelosi crowd, all this good will is not going to last very long.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y


    Flipper, once again you are sensationalizing things that are not even close to true. The "vast majority" of Americans are not on either side here. A slight majority of the people (52%) voted for Obama, while about 46% voted for McCain.



    My view is that the socialists have taken power and that they will accelerate our slide to collapse, which I think is a good thing.

    I am not surprised that the majority have voted to give themselves freebies or that the majority want to "share the wealth". I've been saying for a long time that the lower class is breeding at a rate many times that of the middle and upper classes. All you have to do to prove that is look at my tenants. Many of them have 4 or 5 kids by 4 or 5 men, all unmarried of course. Since you seem so fixated on race, let me tell you that the vast majority of my low income tenants are white. Is it a surprise that they would vote for someone that is promising to give them a tax cut, when they don't even pay taxes?

    This is an appropriate quote from Alexandar Tyler:

    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage."

    If you're curious about the issue of Obama being black - I could care less. Unlike many on the left, I have no misplaced guilt about race. I never owned any slaves. I don't see hardly any racism in my area of Ohio. Blacks are and have been successful and prominent in business and government for many years. I am not living in the past, but in the present. I donated money to and voted for Ken Blackwell (for Ohio Governor). In other words, I could care less about a person's race and I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT VOTE FOR A SOCIALIST FOR PRESIDENT JUST BECAUSE HE'S BLACK!!! In fact, I wouldn't vote for or against anyone because of their skin color. I'm concerned with their ideology, not their color.

    I hope that you on the left can finally get over the race issue. It's over. Done! Finuto! Stop whining about racism. That largely ended in the last century!!!

    Comrade Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    One more thing. When I voted for Blackwell, I was voting against our new governor - Strickland. I must admit that I was wrong about Strickland. Although he acts liberal, he has governed as a conservative (at least fiscally and for gun rights). I think that Strickland is doing an EXCELLENT job and I would go so far as to say that I would support him for President in the future.

    Comrade Mike

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    In fact, I wouldn't vote for or against anyone because of their skin color. I'm concerned with their ideology, not their color.

    Comrade Mike


    Amen.
  • Real Estate Investor · Mont Belvieu, TX · Member since 2008 · 85 posts · 35 votes
    17y

    Josh-- wonderful post and terrific questions.

    Tell you the truth, I haven't been happy with a president since Reagan. So how irrelevant does that make me? Apparently, I just don't get 'it' (whatever that means... good grief I got tired of hearing that!)

    What bothers me most are folks who see Obama as an Idea rather than a politician with a historical voting record and a very real agenda. So what will they do when the walls come crumbling down? Blame to past administration? Refuse to believe that Their Chosen One could ever do such a thing and blindly continue to support him?

    That's the really frightening part-- I didn't see any Bush "true believers" and those who supported him for 8 years were mad as a wet cat when he pulled some of his shenanigans.

    When you've got a radical extremist calling Obama the 'Messiah' and nobody flinches, you *know* its going to be a bumpy ride...

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    17y

    I just added an interesting article by John Stossel to the Bulletin section:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/links/8/category

    It talks about who really runs the country.

    :cool:

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    In other words, I could care less about a person's race and I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT VOTE FOR A SOCIALIST FOR PRESIDENT JUST BECAUSE HE'S BLACK!!! In fact, I wouldn't vote for or against anyone because of their skin color. I'm concerned with their ideology, not their color.


    I agree completely and I think the majority of America truly agrees with you, they just don't know Obama's a socialist.
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    ...and they're going to pay a high price for their ignorance!

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    I think it was great for this country that he got elected. I think a lot of people in this country are inspired and are ready for things to start changing for the better. Lets get this real estate market going again.

  • Developer · Chicago Area, IL · Member since 2008 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:


    If there's one DJ I hate more than any, it's Howard Stern. But, I received this link from somebody and found it to be funny in a sad sort of way. One of Stern's men went out on the streets of Harlem and asked who they were voting for. Naturally, most of them said BO, however they were attributing McCain's policies to Obama. They even felt if Obama won, Palin would make a great Vice President! Ugh...

    Give it a listen:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqAiarOhC2U

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:


    ...and they're going to pay a high price for their ignorance!


    Tell you what, I'm not securing any adjustable rate loans against any of my property any time soon.
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Your're right Comrade Tim. My McDonald's inflation gauge is still showing an alarming trend. About 3 or 4 months ago, a 10 piece Chicken McNuggets (just the nuggets) was $2.00. Then, they raised it to $2.50 (a whopping 25% increase). Yesterday, it went up again to $2.70. Tim is right, that's just the beginning. Very soon, we will experience runaway (3rd world) style inflation.

    Mike

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y

    Stay on topic people. This topic is not about Mike's town, but about where things are headed now.

    Can we PLEASE stick to topic on one of these threads, guys? (YES - I know this is OFF-TOPIC)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.