I find the BP Podcasts to be fairly useless

I find the BP Podcasts to be fairly useless

Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes

I love the forums here.  There are hoards of experienced folks who are very helpful.  I have a long commute to work and so I've been listening to the podcasts lately in my car.  I don't mean to bash anyone but I'd like to offer some feedback.

The podcasts seem to be geared to the high school dropout who isn't motivated enough to get up off the couch.  Why??  Other good industry-specific podcasts focus on those in the industry.  They do not focus on people who are not in the industry and certainly never on someone who is too unmotivated/unfocused/broke/scared to enter the industry!

The quality of the guests is OK.  They are a few sheisty-sounding hype machines on there but the majority are knowledgeable folks.  I just wish the hosts would ask the guests to talk about the business, marketplace, lessons learned and NOT spend 60% of the show asking how they overcame their fear to make their first deal.

0Reply
6 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Wooster, OH · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 17 votes
10y

I think this topic may go back to the subject of the different ways people learn. Some of us can learn by reading, some by doing, some by listening, etc., etc.

What works for one person, may not work for another. So with that in mind, while the podcasts may not be helpful to everyone, they may be extremely helpful to others. Maybe the ones who find them not so useful, aren't that type of learner. Just a thought...

Best of luck to all, apes & humans, alike. ;)

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Hi Stone,

    I don't have as much experience as yourself, so I could see why you may not find the podcasts useful or interesting. But as a newbie I find the forums and podcasts to be useful in various ways. I find the forums great for research and finding answers to specific questions (like your pet odor question from a few days ago); and I find the podcasts useful in a few ways:

    1. I'm sort of new to real estate, so I use the podcasts as an educational tool. They're good introductions to all aspects of real estate and they help me understand the industry.

    2. The podcasts show me success models. Each podcast gets me thinking about how I can plan, structure, and build my business for success. I listen to the successes, but I also listen to the pitfalls and the mistakes, so I don't have to repeat them.

    3. And lastly, I find the podcasts inspiring and motivational. I see others having success, and their examples show me that if they can do it, then well, hey, I can do it too. I know it will take a ton of hard work, but it's possible.

    So that's one newbie's perspective.

    Best of luck to you! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Stone Teran,

    I am educated in REI, but only limited experience. I do, however, tend to agree with you.

    For my tastes, too many folks spend too much time talking about themselves with not enough focus on the topic at hand and not enough depth of detail.

    Another issue for me is that too many folks think their experience plus success qualifies them to teach - it doesn't. Being an educator is itself the product of education on how to organize and present information in a format compatible with the most common ways people learn, and then specializing in the less common ways.

    I'd like to see all such presenters, at the very least, be required to join Toastmasters and at least achieve the "Competent Communicator" designation. The third speech in that process is entitled, "Get To The Point". The time limit is 5 to 7 minutes. Most of them are doing well if they can do that in 5 to 7 hours: too much "blow-ology".

    My $0.02...

    David J Dachtera

    "Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
    - DJ Benedict

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    In general I rather like the podcasts. Some episodes are clearly better than others. A few episodes I havnt been into at all....but in general I look forward to listening to a new episode every Thursday. I find them both entertaining and educational.

  • Puyallup, WA · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    To each his own. I'm brand new, not only go REI, but investing in general. I have no schooling or formal training on how to start my own business - which is what we do here. I'm certainly no HS dropout, but the podcasts have been pretty invaluable to me. It's true, some are better than others, but the ones I don't find as useful are probably useful to someone else. I think the key to taking something away from the podcasts is to not look at everything said on them as gospel. Take what you want from it, and leave the rest. I mean - it's not like you're paying to listen. Personally, I have found them to be extremely valuable for what I need.
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    "The podcasts seem to be geared to the high school dropout who isn't motivated enough to get up off the couch. Why??"  Maybe just to illustrate that if this loser can do it, so can you.  It's a good sales pitch when a highly trained ape can be successful at a system so I'm sure that's part of it.  Technically it doesn't take anything beyond 3rd grade math to analyze cash flow or flips.  Beyond that it really just takes balls, not screwing up too much, experience and hiring the right professional team.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    For an hour podcast, I believe the intent is exposure to areas for members to investigate further and for entertainment (and are likely geared towards BP's largest member base).

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 374 posts · 120 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Timothy W.:

    "The podcasts seem to be geared to the high school dropout who isn't motivated enough to get up off the couch. Why??"  Maybe just to illustrate that if this loser can do it, so can you.  It's a good sales pitch when a highly trained ape can be successful at a system so I'm sure that's part of it.  Technically it doesn't take anything beyond 3rd grade math to analyze cash flow or flips.  Beyond that it really just takes balls, not screwing up too much, experience and hiring the right professional team.

     Well I do agree it's geared towards highly trained (non-motivated) apes :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wooster, OH · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    I think this topic may go back to the subject of the different ways people learn. Some of us can learn by reading, some by doing, some by listening, etc., etc.

    What works for one person, may not work for another. So with that in mind, while the podcasts may not be helpful to everyone, they may be extremely helpful to others. Maybe the ones who find them not so useful, aren't that type of learner. Just a thought...

    Best of luck to all, apes & humans, alike. ;)

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    podcast is useful for New people trying to get in Rei business and very helpful I Love it myself but your opinion is your opinion thanks have a great day. David Coleman

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    The best part of the podcasts for me has been the network that it created...been in some very granular PMs and phone conversations with a few of the podcasters and I've only been on the site for a month.  Those discussions have impacted my re-positioning plan on a current project and possible investment in another project.

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Podcast is fantastic for what it is:

    a place for the uneducated and uninitiated aspiring real estate investor to find inspiration stemming from a unique personal connection.

    It's not really a teaching podcast, it's a people podcast. Many of their interviewee's aren't even in real estate field at all.

    For this purpose I think it is absolutely fantastic. This site is massively geared towards beginners and the podcasts give a very easy and welcoming entrance to real estate through moderate personal stories. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.