Is O'Donnell really stupid?

Is O'Donnell really stupid?

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

There seems to be a lot of fear of attractive conservative brunettes to the point that they have to attacked as "stupid" by people who never really qualify that statement and when they do qualify it, it turns out they are factually wrong and she is right. I have to admit that I haven't sit down and listened to O'Donnell beyond soundbites. I've only read what she's come out with, so I found an interview she was going to be one where she was basically going to explain who she is and what she's about and sat down for a good 15-20 minutes and listened to her talk (without a teleprompter).

I'm going to skip past the politics of who she is and what she's about and focus on two political strategies she employed. In my opinion, politics are beliefs but where you measure intelligence is in how they are delivered and the strategies you employ.

The first is her response to the smear campaigns against her. Her angle on responding to this is that a vote for her opponent based on these smear campaigns is a vote in support of dirty politics that keeps good people out of office. She came out with this right when she revealed that a recent piece about a supposed one night stand that was written for the Gawker, was written by a person, a former Boy Scout, paid to write that smear piece. She indirectly showed how the Coons campaign has turned Boy Scouts into paid political hit men and then asked if that's the trend you want to set for future generations. That's pretty sharp because that cuts right past politics and to a core dissatisfaction people have been feeling for quite sometime....and it plays the guilt button which, as Obama illustrated, is quite effective.

The second thing she did, which was brilliant, was the same week that Obama announced he was coming into town to campaign for Coons - she had a rally called "Democrats for O'Donnell" and had as her featured speakers LOCAL Democrat leaders who were dissatisfied with what Washington has been up to lately. You talk about turning someone's attempt at "momentum" right against them, Obama is toxic in local constituencies that aren't populated with his sycophants and she capitalized on this by siding herself with names that don't mean anything to us, but mean something to Delaware voters in their local community. Obama flies in, talks for 20 minutes and flies out. These local Democrat leaders are there 24/7, talking to people. I don't care who you are, that is a very smart move.

We will see on Tuesday how it all plays out but it is interesting to see people rely so heavily on the characterization of political candidates as "stupid" or as some Democrats have tried to use lately "b-tch" or "whore", especially when they are factually wrong in how they came about that characterization. I would caution you in your use of it because by now, it's a tired, overused assertion. It reveals nothing more about the person you are attacking while revealing a whole lot more about you.

1Reply
145 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y
Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
What I do have a problem with is a bunch of blathering morons running for office

At the very top of this list is:
Barack Obama
And right behind him is the group including:
Nancy Pelosi
Joe Biden
Harry Reid
Barney Frank

And right behind them is Michelle Obama. While not running for office, she is the First Lady. She is the one who was NEVER proud of her country till her spouse got elected president. I was always proud of my country, although with him as president, I am quite embarrassed at the lack of intelligence of the electorate. Hopefully, they have worked at getting some education over the past 2 years. We shall find out today.

See this reply in the discussion

117 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Man...so few people in this thread could survive British style debate.

    Thick skin, researched and out in the open about your position. That's what's missing from political debate here in America. It's been weakened into nuance and tone. It's borderline pathetic anymore.

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Tim, you are so correct. And the THINNEST skinned Democrat is Barri Obama. How thin is his skin? He called Republicans "ENEMIES" and tells them that they "have to sit in the back of the bus."

    Working in the non-profit world, I work with some of the most liberal folks around and we get along great. I always win the debate, but they never change their tune. I say I hate the government, and they say "you don't like having roads to drive on?" To which I reply, "Well, what kind of shape are the roads in?" No answer. They say, "You don't like the school system?" To which I reply, "So how are the students turning out?" Again, no answer.

    I tell them that I am the product of a private school, K-8, and then a Private College. The cost of my yearly education was less than HALF of what the public school costs to educate a student for one year. So how good was my education? I went to public school for High School and graduated number 6 out of 450 students and I didn't even try (too busy playing sports and chasing girls, LOL)

    The government cannot compete with the Private Sector in accomplishing anything. I would even venture to say that the Private Sector would create a better military if it had the same budget as the government.

    If the money my mother and father paid into social security were used to buy rental property, they would own at least 10 houses, free and clear, and receive a minimum of $10,000 a month income. Instead, he gets his $1,100 bucks a month.

    No one on here could debate me and prove that the government does a better job at anything than the private sector except produce Bovine Excretement.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    LOL, when minds are closed to ideas that are contrary to what we think we know, we'll never know any better.

    Just to clarify, she said when she was in high school and going to college (probably the summer before college but after high school as well) she dabbled. She went on a date with a guy and they were sacrificing at an alter. Now, this would be 17/18, old enough to know better I would think, had she broke the law and been arrested, she would have a record.

    Is she qualified, yes, she is of age, and is not a felon, that I know of, so she is qualified.

    Is she stupid, define stupid.....does she have a significantly higher I.Q. than the average person....I doubt it, she may have a couple people behind here coaching her that might hit above average.

    Does she say stupid things? Yes
    Does she do stupid things? Yes
    Is she the sharpest tool in the box? LOL, No!
    Can you see her solving and contributing to solutions to the complex problems of the economy, health care, tax reform, secuirty issues, immigration, international relations and other issues facing us now? Can you really? Solving? Contributing in a meaningful manner? Really? LOL! She has difficulty giving interviews and keeping her foot out of her mouth. Just becase she can give a 15 minute speech that has been scripted for here doesn't mean she has a great deal of wisdom!

    And what was her background, was she successful at paying her personal expenses? Isn't she the one that was borrowing money to pay rent? Flat broke and receiving government aid before she ran for office? I think so......so, if she is not capable of being successful and manage her own life, why should she be in a position to manage yours?

    We just found out that it takes more than some cute smiles, winks, grins and short comments to be elected to public office, so some Americans get more credit than I was originally willing to give, but gotta tell ya, I was worried a little before.

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    We just found out that it takes more than some cute smiles, winks, grins and short comments to be elected to public office,

    I'm not so sure about that, Obama got elected.
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    We just found out that it takes more than some cute smiles, winks, grins and short comments to be elected to public office,

    I'm not so sure about that, Obama got elected.

    He had a teleprompter. That's all Christine O'Donnell was missing.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    "Now, this would be 17/18, old enough to know better I would think"

    Obama did cocaine at 21. Old enough to know better I would think.

    "Is she stupid, define stupid.....does she have a significantly higher I.Q. than the average person....I doubt it, she may have a couple people behind here coaching her that might hit above average."

    So you have no evidence.

    "Does she say stupid things? Yes"

    What are they?

    "Does she do stupid things? Yes"

    What are they?

    "Is she the sharpest tool in the box? LOL, No!"

    Who is?

    "Can you see her solving and contributing to solutions to the complex problems of the economy, health care, tax reform, secuirty issues, immigration, international relations and other issues facing us now?"

    Hundreds of liberals for the past two years have done a bang up job at it. :roll:

    "She has difficulty giving interviews and keeping her foot out of her mouth."

    No she doesn't.

    "And what was her background, was she successful at paying her personal expenses? Isn't she the one that was borrowing money to pay rent? Flat broke and receiving government aid before she ran for office? I think so......so, if she is not capable of being successful and manage her own life, why should she be in a position to manage yours?"

    I'll take someone who's come from financial difficulty to a place of prominence over someone who's been spoon fed everything they own from birth any day. This is the wrong forum to attack someone who's had financial hardship and come back from it.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    We just found out that it takes more than some cute smiles, winks, grins and short comments to be elected to public office,

    I'm not so sure about that, Obama got elected.

    He had a teleprompter. That's all Christine O'Donnell was missing.

    LOL! That's a good one!

    But Tim, when speaking about Palin, your point was she was smart enough to make a million bucks, Bush bought and sold a baseball team for a really great profit, but with O'Donnell, being poor and not smart enough to make a living first is now an attribute, now you guys can't have it both ways......LOL

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    But Tim, when speaking about Palin, your point was she was smart enough to make a million bucks, Bush bought and sold a baseball team for a really great profit, but with O'Donnell, being poor and not smart enough to make a living first is now an attribute, now you guys can't have it both ways......LOL

    She raised 1.8 million dollars. What happens to unspent campaign funds, hmmmm?

    That plus remember this post in 48 hours from now when she lands a book deal.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Oh sorry I missed part....she has run for several offices, when she needed money, she ran for office and used money that was donated. That's not only doing a stupid thing, it's illegal. She showed up on the Bill Maher show, that's where she did another stupid thing and said stupid things.

    I can see if someone says the love her, just marry her (probably be disappointed on the wedding night...her views and all) but there is no way to see her in any serious leadership position of this country, at least not very soon, give her fifty years to gain some insight, wisdom, tact, a better education and maturity, shake well and bring her back in 2060, hopefully I'll be dead and gone by then.......

  • Investor · colorado springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 283 posts · 45 votes
    15y

    "They are -- they are doing that here in the United States. American scientific companies are cross-breeding humans and animals and coming up with mice with fully functioning human brains. So they're already into this experiment." O'Donnell in 2007 on The O'Reilly Factor.

    Yup, she's smart, damn the liberal media for making her seem STUPID!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Oh crap, at that rate, I might still be here!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Sorin T:
    "They are -- they are doing that here in the United States. American scientific companies are cross-breeding humans and animals and coming up with mice with fully functioning human brains. So they're already into this experiment." O'Donnell in 2007 on The O'Reilly Factor.

    Yup, she's smart, damn the liberal media for making her seem STUPID!

    Holy freaking crap. It only took 5 pages for someone to provide one quote that is legitimately misinformed. She's talking about Dr. Gage's research at the Salk Institute in California where he created mice with human brain cells to study alzheimer's. Apparently she confused crossbreeding with what Dr. Gage was doing which was injecting human embryonic stem cells into newborn mice so that they would create human brain tissue. The term isn't crossbreeding. In fact I'm not even sure there is a term for this outside of genetic manipulation.

  • Investor · colorado springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 283 posts · 45 votes
    15y

    "mice with fully functioning human brains" sounds more like Frankenstein to me rather than genetic manipulation.

    But, no doubt, she IS smart...

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Sorin T:
    "mice with fully functioning human brains" sounds more like Frankenstein to me rather than genetic manipulation.

    Well not really because "crossbreeding" is a type of genetic manipulation. I'm just wondering if someone here has the right word for what Dr. Gage was doing. I can't think of it. Closest thing I can think of is when they inject retroviruses to alter genetic code, they call it gene therapy. I don't know what you call this.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    She showed up on the Bill Maher show

    I have to concede that giving 5 minutes of your time to that egotistical douche bag is a stupid thing to do.

  • Investor · colorado springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 283 posts · 45 votes
    15y

    So we agreed, "mice with fully functioning human brains" is the stroke of a genius. Since we got that out of the way, I can understand MSM's envy towards her...

    Now, if we could only get her to acquire a degree, hold a job, pay taxes and a mortgage, then she'd be just like YOU (meaning, NOT a witch).

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    She showed up on the Bill Maher show

    I have to concede that giving 5 minutes of your time to that egotistical douche bag is a stupid thing to do.

    See? Reagn nor Bush Sr., not even Roy Blunt ever did that! She is not that of leadership caliber, not even as a BB!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    But Tim, when speaking about Palin, your point was she was smart enough to make a million bucks, Bush bought and sold a baseball team for a really great profit, but with O'Donnell, being poor and not smart enough to make a living first is now an attribute, now you guys can't have it both ways......LOL

    She raised 1.8 million dollars. What happens to unspent campaign funds, hmmmm?

    Tim -

    Clearly you're implying that she benefited personally from unspent campaign funds, which is illegal...

    Do you have evidence that she committed this crime? Or is it just your opinion?

    Personally, I don't know enough about her to have an opinion of whether she's smart or qualified, but these rumors of embezzling campaign funds are definitely troubling, and if there is evidence to support your implications, she should certainly be prosecuted...

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by rich23s:

    So you think Ms. O'Donnell is stupid because...
    -her religious beliefs

    Yes…if said religious beliefs involve believing in witchcraft. I guess I am a bigot.

    Originally posted by rich23s:

    -doesn't believe in evolution

    Yeap…I guess believing in science makes me a liberal in far right world. BTW…I vote Republican in almost every election and I am pretty far right of center. I guess everything is “left†if you are sitting in the right field bleachers instead of on the field where things get done.
    Originally posted by rich23s:

    -isn't qualified for the position

    Yeap….I tend to like to have some folks with some experience or rational ideas. Crazy I know!
    Originally posted by rich23s:

    Why not say she is stupid because of the color of her skin? What would be the difference? Also, please advise us of what the qualifications are for the position. Does she not qualify for them? How about Obama...was he qualified for his elected position?

    Why do people keep bringing up Obama and other ridiculous crap? This thread is supposed to be about O’Donnell.
    Originally posted by rich23s:

    You continue to follow FAR left wing tactics by name calling without backing up your claims. You have yet to make one good argument about how she is dumb, stupid, a moron, etc. You've called more names in this thread than most people do their entire adult life.

    Sure thing buddy…I am FAR left. Keep drinking that Kook-Aid. It is impossible to make any “good†arguments when someone is completely close-minded about things. I simply can’t debate with someone that thinks I am far left…Nuts.
    Originally posted by rich23s:

    Your comment about "experts" is hysterical. This is because it mirrors comments by other left wing fringe people on this forum in the healthcare debate...after they lost the debate. Lose the debate, then claim that everyone else thinks they're experts. Another fruitless argument. To be clear, no one on here has claimed to be an expert. Are you an expert? Please advise so that we know in the future.

    Lose the debate? What channel are you watching? I am pretty sure that my side of the interpretation of the Constitution is what we have been living with for quite some time.

    No…I’m not an expert. I am a layman and even a layman knows that this fanatical interpretation of the Constitution and idiot politicians that run on it is ridiculous. I guess that is why they get beat nearly 2:1 in Senate races.

    And for the record…Anyone that claims Vikram is liberal should have their head examined. Seriously…I am sure we can raise money here on BP to pay for the treatment.

  • Real Estate Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2008 · 66 posts · 15 votes
    15y

    dorkin, please end this debate!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    But Tim, when speaking about Palin, your point was she was smart enough to make a million bucks, Bush bought and sold a baseball team for a really great profit, but with O'Donnell, being poor and not smart enough to make a living first is now an attribute, now you guys can't have it both ways......LOL

    She raised 1.8 million dollars. What happens to unspent campaign funds, hmmmm?

    Tim -

    Clearly you're implying that she benefited personally from unspent campaign funds, which is illegal...

    Do you have evidence that she committed this crime? Or is it just your opinion?

    Personally, I don't know enough about her to have an opinion of whether she's smart or qualified, but these rumors of embezzling campaign funds are definitely troubling, and if there is evidence to support your implications, she should certainly be prosecuted...

    In some states it's perfectly legal to immediately start a new campaign and pay yourself a salary from the excess campaign funds of a previous campaign.

    It's not an (R) or (D) thing. Just the nature of the system. These are Senators we're talking about. You think they haven't figured out a way to keep money? Lol.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    Oh sorry I missed part....she has run for several offices, when she needed money, she ran for office and used money that was donated. That's not only doing a stupid thing, it's illegal.

    Not if you do it the legal way. Again, you may not agree with her. You may not even like her, but is she really "stupid"?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Ruben Aguirre:
    dorkin, please end this debate!

    It's generally considered rude to call someone who is not your subordinate or a very close friend by their last name only. Plus, why? This is an opt-in viewing that you really have to seek out here to find. It couldn't be further down the page of forum options so if you don't like it, just ignore it.

    You have to have debates like this and keep it here or it spills out into the other forums. But again, you have to seek this out far down the page to find it and as the description of the forums says, "There are heated discussions here, so if you don't want to get involved in debate, stay away!"

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    We allow a certain amount of leeway on these political threads, but some of you are pushing it. You're all welcome to debate people and issues, but if you can't do it without personally going after other members on the site, we will ban your ability to post in this politics forum.

    I've already removed a few posts in this discussion for just that reason.

    Finally, as Tim said, my name is Josh, Joshua or Mr. Dorkin. Thanks.

  • Real Estate Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2008 · 66 posts · 15 votes
    15y

    josh, i apologize for addressing you by last name only. not at all my intent to be rude.

    given that you are active in this community, i've read a lot of your posts, and i really like how you run the whole biggerpockets site, my address was more of a casual, friend-like approach, and i was unaware that addressing by last name was only for subordinates or close friends. and i have now been made me aware of an offline habit that needs to correct course! once again, i sincerely apologize

    tim, you make good points about containing the debate here and not spilling into the other forums. and i guess that's my point, you have a lot of very good points that seem to be falling on hardened ears, so why continue? at least that was my thought last night.

    as a mexican catholic (and yes people, i am here legally and i pay taxes), i've had a lot of debates with people about politics because i tend to be conservative (i joke with my wife that i want a bumper sticker that says "warning: right-wing radical on board"), where as, in general, hispanics tend to be progressive/democrat. and these debates led nowhere.

    so i retract my statement.

    the only time i engage in conversations such as these is for the sake of those listening. but then it is no longer a debate i engage in, but a re-discovery process of opposing views.

    as a post script: i came across this thread because it sat at the top of my dashboard, so i didn't dig to find it, and was drawn to so many replies in the thread. next thing you know i'm sucked in reading this post. i didn't know about the "heated debates warning" but i guess i have now been properly christened! (pun intended?) lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.