Anyone from Rochester, NY?

Anyone from Rochester, NY?

Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes

Hoping to collect some WNY folks in this forum. Any Rochestarians interested in meeting up to talk Real Estate? Lets start a discussion here with 2 minute intros' and hopefully get enough interest to connect in person sometime soon.

I'll start.....

I'm a full time real estate investor with past experience in residential rentals mostly in and around the 19th Ward. I've since transitioned to focus all my attention on self storage. I own one facility in Syracuse and am working on purchasing one out toward Buffalo in the next couple months. I can't articulate how much I enjoy talking real estate with other serious investors. Hoping to meet a few more via this post!

Mike

2Reply
239 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 23 votes
13y

I've never been to an Amerk's game... Am I still allowed to post in this thread?

See this reply in the discussion

137 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2013 · 106 posts · 75 votes
    13y

    We have to all try to make the happy hour at Frog Hair during the summer for sure!

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Hey everyone! I have been investing in mullti-family property (2 to 4 unit property) in Rochester specially targeting Northeast City and Southeast City since 2006. Would be great to connect more and share questions, comments, and/or ideas in Rochester with one another, such about city / county grants and other things that come to mind.

  • Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
    13y

    Joseph Wilson,
    Welcome! I hope to post a meet-up of somekind in this thread so any available and interested Rochester folks can get together for some in person networking. Be sure to monitor the thread.

    How many units do you currently own? Do you manage yourself or have someone do that for you? Are you full-time or part-time?

    Mike

  • Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Welcome to the forums Joseph Wilson.

    Hey Michael Wagner, I'll be keeping my ear to the ground on that meet-up. I'm making plans and educating myself for my first multi-unit in that part of the city (looking at South Wedge to Fairport).

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2012 · 316 posts · 102 votes
    13y

    Wanted to remind Chris Booth Eric Mavor Joseph Wilson Josh Stetson Mike Ware Mark Turner that our very own Michael Wagner will be presenting at FFREIA this Thursday night at 7pm at the Brighton Town Hall.

    For those that haven't been there before, drive to the back of the town hall and enter next to the library. Networking starts at 6:30 with pizza for those that need dinner.

    The first two meetings are free so feel free to stop by and meet a great group of investors in Rochester and learn about opportunities in Self Storage as well.

    Feel free to PM me with any questions.

  • Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
    13y

    Thanks for the plug Dave Savage! I look forward to meeting you and hope that lots of BPer's can make it! I do want to add a bit of a disclaimer though. I am far from a polished speaker so this is going to be a super informal presentation. Hopefully I can facilitate a good back and forth discussion so those who can make it get the info they are looking for.

  • Wholesaler · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 23 votes
    13y

    My wedding is on Saturday and the bachelor party is Thursday, so I will not be able to attend. I wish you all the best however - I'll be having a great time myself!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2012 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    Hey, everyone.

    I don't live in Rochester but I went to school there and recently bought my first sfh rental there. Will be buying more after my wedding in August. Glad to see other WNY people on BP.

  • Investor · Williamson, NY · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Frank O. - Congrats on getting started! I've had good success with SFHs in Rochester, and currently manage 4 singles and a duplex.

    Michael Wagner - I plan on being there to heckle you Thursday night! Just kiddin' I'll be nice... Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you guys.

  • Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Dave Savage thanks for the reminder. Definitely planning making it; looking forward to seeing yall at the meeting.

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2012 · 316 posts · 102 votes
    13y

    Major props to Michael Wagner for a great presentation tonight!

    Now I am inspired to get off my butt and go from 1 unit to a Self Storage place in a few years.

    Good to meet up with Chris Booth and Mike Ware tonight as well. Remember next Thursday night is the Alternative Investment group at the Bayfront, come join us as the second meeting is free as well.

    Let's stick together and figure out how to make some money!

  • Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
    13y

    Thanks Dave Savage! I had a lot of fun at the FFREIA meeting and enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Hopefully folks were able to walk away with some new knowledge/ideas. Don't forget about www.ourhaitihouse.com:) (Note to moderator....nothing for sale here so hoping its okay to post....if not, please accept my sincere apologies)

  • Investor · Rochester Area, NY · Member since 2012 · 79 posts · 17 votes
    13y

    @Michael Wagner . Great presentation and enjoyed meeting many from the FFREIA meetings..my 1st.

  • Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
    13y

    Mark Turner- Thanks for the kind words. It was good to meet you. Seeing as how we are so close, we should get together some day or evening soon.

    Mike Ware--Thank you so much for your generous donation to www.ourhaitihouse.com. Very kind of you. Looking forward to our next get together.

    Dave Savage--Thank you also for your generous donation to the above cause.

    You guys are awesome, thanks again!

  • Investor · Rochester Area, NY · Member since 2012 · 79 posts · 17 votes
    13y

    Michael Wagner...that would be great!

  • Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
    13y

    Mark Turner...Thank you so much for your generous support of www.ourhaitihouse.com. You are awesome! PM to follow.

  • Renter · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Hello fellow Rochesterians! I don't own anything yet, but REI has being running through my mind now and again, and I think it's time to bite the bullet!! BP I hope will get a fire under my behind and get something going! I need all the advise I can get! Currently my plan is to buy my landlords duplex in which I am living in today. @Michael Wagner- I saw the FFREIA meeting last week and you were presenting, but I was unable to make it. I hope to make the next monthly meeting in July. BP is great and I hope to learn a lot and get going on these REI's!! Time waits for no one! Oh and a couple questions, I would like to buy MF's in good neighboorhoods for not a lot of money, what neighboorhoods does anyone recommend? I currently live in the North Winton Village and love it here! Also is it hard to buy a foreclosed multifamily around Rochester? If my original plan doesn't work out, I would buy another for less than 100,000.

  • Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Tiffany Toukatly Hello & welcome to the forums. I've just started looking into MF homes in the Rochester area myself over the past month and a half. Take a look at http://www.zillow.com to get an idea of what properties are available in the area. It's not quite the MLS, but it does pull from it (I think current estimates are about 1/3 the listings).

    There's also loads of resources here to educate oneself on REI. Specifically the beginners guide: https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing and MF guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/09/how-to-buy-a-small-multifamily-property/ come to mind.

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    FYI: Figured to share for those in and around Rochester who are not aware. There will be a Landlord Expo 2013 on Saturday, June 29th from 10am to 4pm at RIT Gordon Field House. Workshops on evictions, fair housing, passing inspections, and more. Nicole Curtis from DIY Network's "Rehab Addict" is this year's special guest. To pre-register go to: http://www.thehousingcouncil.org/ See you there if you make it to event.

  • Investor · Williamson, NY · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Tiffany Toukatly - All my properties so far are on the west side of the city, 19th Ward area and a little north of there. The properties I've bought so far are generally in the $30k-$40k range. I'm guessing you'd be looking for something a little nicer if you want to live in half/rent out half. As Chris mentioned - zillow.com is a cool resource, also realtor.com for MLS listings, and loopnet.com is also a source of all sorts of income properties from small single-familys to large office buildings. There's also craigslist.org. Look around and see what interests you. Take a look through the free "Beginners Guide" that BP offers for some good basic analysis tips.

  • Renter · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    To anyone who rents houses out on the west side of the city -19th Ward... I've been told its a little "rough" over there, do you do Section 8? How are the tenants with paying their rent every month? It seems the lower priced Multifamilies (under 100,000) are within the "rougher" neighborhoods... What have been your experiences? I'd like to find a decent lower priced house around Monroe ave, south wedge, Corn Hill, North Winton, park ave but they seem few and far between. Also are you looking for homes which will appreciate with the neighborhood?

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2012 · 316 posts · 102 votes
    13y

    Tiffany Toukatly I am also just starting to look at rental properties in the city. I think you need to decide on a few things. Are you willing to hire a property manager to manage the properties? If so you might be able to get into a little rougher area and get the better cap rates. I know a lot of landlords doing well with properties in those areas.

    To try and get into the park ave, monroe ave area you are probably won't find the sub $100k properties as many other deep pocketed and retail buyers are working those areas. I would interview a few realtors (look at MLS for realtors who have multiple listings in your areas of interest) and have them help identify areas of the city that would fit your criteria and then work with them to find properties.

    Good luck and let us know how we can help

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2012 · 316 posts · 102 votes
    13y

    Josh Stetson Kent Stauffer Joseph Wilson Eric Mavor Michael Wagner Mark Turner Mark Updegraff Mike Ware Chris Booth Tiffany Toukatly.

    I was thinking in the spirit of Michael Wagner's previous lunch meetup that we could try and organize a monthly lunch meeting for those interested as a supplement to the FFREIA meetings. As many of us are just starting out we could help each other out with info as we learn it. I don't know everyone's location so it might not work but I was thinking based on the last one that we might try the Chili's on Rt96 in Victor again, potentially on the 17th of July.

    If you are interested in this or other dates/locations, PM me your email address and I will start a group so we can communicate outside of BP, and I will update this thread with the monthly meetings so new BP members can join us as well moving forward.

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 690 votes
    13y

    I'm game for a meet up. I've been investing in 14620 for the last 6 years and also have my RE license. I've been working for/with out of town investors and sone local folk as well. It has been excellent for networking and lead generation. Nothing like hitting the streets with a mission :D I would be happy to help anyone looking to invest in the greater ROC. The biggest piece of advice for those relying on MLS: only the early bird gets the worm! You need more than a realtor to help you, especially in today's busy market!

  • Syndicator and Fund Manager · Victor, NY · Member since 2012 · 760 posts · 345 votes
    13y

    A little late to this party but I'm interested in meeting up. I'm a commercial mortgage banker and currently wanting to learn the residential side to buy a few properties.

    Victor works for me for method but lunch time is tough as I'm downtown then.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.