Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
Hoping to collect some WNY folks in this forum. Any Rochestarians interested in meeting up to talk Real Estate? Lets start a discussion here with 2 minute intros' and hopefully get enough interest to connect in person sometime soon.
I'll start.....
I'm a full time real estate investor with past experience in residential rentals mostly in and around the 19th Ward. I've since transitioned to focus all my attention on self storage. I own one facility in Syracuse and am working on purchasing one out toward Buffalo in the next couple months. I can't articulate how much I enjoy talking real estate with other serious investors. Hoping to meet a few more via this post!
Specialist · Victor, NY · Member since 2013 · 823 posts · 844 votes
13y
Dave Savage,
I am, of course, interested in meeting up. Tough part is that I am out of town just about everyday until Mid August with very few exceptions. After that though, I'm game.
Buffalo, NY · Member since 2013 · 106 posts · 75 votes
13y
I got to this post a little late! Dave Savage please add me to the list, I'd love to try and make it out as well. [email protected]
And for anyone interested I'll be speaking at the WNYREIA in September about new municipal programs being implemented to fine landlords for tenant disturbances.
Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2012 · 316 posts · 102 votes
12y
I have been going to FFREIA for a year and it has been very helpful in getting me kicked off. All of the members are very approachable and the Alternative Meetings are especially helpful to learn about flipping and rehabbing(props to @Adam Johnson ).
Rental Property Investor · Holley, NY · Member since 2011 · 507 posts · 347 votes
12y
Thanks @Dave Savage . I don't make any money from my involvement in FFREIA, but certainly benefit greatly from the opportunity to network with other investors, share what I have learned, and learn what others have had success with. I welcome anybody to attend our meetings! I think there is a ton of value in the time we all invest into attending the various meetings.
Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 10 votes
12y
I know I am late to the punch on this post but I thought I would reply and introduce myself.....
My name is Eric McQuistion, I am a devout Husband and Father of three beautiful children and part of a Property Solutions & Management Company in Rochester, NY. We are Buy & Hold Investors looking to connect with other Investors in the Rochester / Upstate NY Market as well as forming relationships outside the area.
We were introduced to BP via the Podcasts (Thank you Josh & Brandon!) which we have found to be super informative as well as very entertaining!
Looking forward to connecting with other like minded people on the site, as well as here locally!
Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 10 votes
12y
I wanted to add to the other posts. Just went to my first FFREIA meeting on Thursday..... And was a member by Friday morning! Looking forward to seeing any of you there!
Thank you, Eric. I am looking for the first house to buy. I am thinking about flipping but I have low budget. Maybe looks for the price under $60,000. Do you know what area will do good in flipping the house.
Vanida:
Since you say "first house," I have to clarify that you do not plan on living in the house during the flip?
Like with any city, there are rough neighborhoods which are great for flips, however I wouldn't recommend a colleague moving into. The 19th Ward has both rough and safe pockets within. 14605 and 14621 are predominantly rough neighborhoods. All three zip codes see a lot of action with regards to flips. All three have singles, doubles and tri's to suit your strategy. All three also have strong rent to purchase price ratios. EX. I just closed on a 3-Unit 6/3 for $18,000 with each unit rented for $600. Hope this helped!
The 19th ward is technically the 14619 area code...that's where it gets its name. It borders 14611 and so some folks consider parts of 14611 as the 19th ward. It is in the southwest quadrant of Rochester across from the airport on the other side of interstate 390. It is also adjacent to U of R. THere is a well known new development at Brooks Landing which is the pride of that neighborhood. It used to be very ROUGH....but during the 1990s and 2000's there was a grass roots effort to "take the neighborhood" back from the gangs that had overrun it. IT was very successful and the area is now one of the most stable neighborhoods in Rochester. It houses about 10% of the cities population but only accounts for like 2% of the crime. I own 11 houses in or near the 19th ward. Hope some of that helps.
Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2012 · 316 posts · 102 votes
12y
@Sandy P. you might want to find an agent (or use homesteadnet.com) to scour the MLS for Irondequoit and East Rochester houses daily as sometimes you can find a low priced deal in those areas to flip which might have more upside. The city properties you need to be real careful as the margins will be very tight and with the old homes you can run into some unexpected issues($$) once you start tackling the rehab.
Also I would connect with some of the local wholesalers (who you can meet at the FFREIA meetings or through web searches) to get on their lists as they might have something that meets your criteria.
Corning, NY · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 6 votes
11y
Thanks for the heads up guys- looking into FFREIA now- I live down in Corning, but work in Bath at the County office building, so Rochester isn't too far away to start networking and looking into REI. Thank you again, hope to see some of you there in the next few months.
Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 4 votes
11y
Hello All!
I have been a member of BP for about a month or so and I just saw this thread. Doesn't look like too much activity is going on here anymore but maybe it can start up again! I am excited to be a part of this community. I have lived in Rochester all my life and recently turned investing into my full time career. I wholesale on a national level (SFR, Multi's, and Apartments) and starting to flip homes in this area. I am looking to expand out into Buffalo to flip as well. I am also looking to get into wholesaling more commercial properties such as stores, storage units, little shops, etc.
I plan on going to the meetup tomorrow so I look forward to seeing you all there!
I am also a member of FFREIA... it is great to network and meet such sincere people. I am looking forward to meeting more like-minded investors :)