Anyone investing in EV charging stations (other than stocks)?

Anyone investing in EV charging stations (other than stocks)?

Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2015 · 382 posts · 258 votes

 It seems like the easiest way to invest in EV charging stations would be to have a handful of them in your strip mall or hotel but is anyone investing in actual full charging stations or even aware of any syndication deals for EV charging stations?

1Reply
80 views

Most Popular Reply

Henry ClarkPro Member
Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y

20 years ago at our fulfillment warehouse we had self driving forklifts.   The driver was just there to take the correct number of units and put them in the basket and when it made it back to the truck center put the correct units into each outgoing truck bay. I tell you this so you understand I am for automation. I was also a Kaizen process improvement black belt.  So I can see beyond what is apparent and beyond anything I can imagine.  I know it’s possible. 

With that said I don’t see the US as it is fundamentally set up from a governance standpoint ever getting to the world of cars you describe. If we do, it will only be in place for a few decades.  There are more efficient solutions to cars.   No cars.  

Driverless cara. Are you willing to wear an ankle bracelet?  Are you willing to wear an RFID device on your body at all times?  Ask your regular Joe and Jane that question and see where the conversation goes.  

Same with cash and electronic money.  Is there a more efficient form of monetary transactions than cash?  Yes. We have credit and debit cards.  All forms of payment go back to “faith”.  So the government which is testing electronic funds could say they will handle not only supplying the cash but also handling the transactions. Again go out to your average Joe and Jane and tell them that. See where the conversation goes.  

Point.   As @Scott Mac noted there are changes in technology and processes. Are you an REI investor or are you a gambler?

I’m in Europe now and have been to Asia.  We can easily do away with cars.   I just won’t vote for the restrictions needed to implement those measures.  Too much of a big sky and open road cowboy.  Part of being in the US.  

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    4y

    I’m interested in this as well, but don’t know any providers. I’ve heard it’s more of an amenity than a money maker. Let’s stay in touch

  • Chris BlackburnPro Member
    Developer · Salem, OR · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 110 votes
    3y

    I am digging in. We have put some infrastructure in for chargers in our new apartment builds, but I want to explore the plan and synergy for Supercharger locations and the RE that can benefit from it. Does anyone else have data? I found this person on biggerpockets... Maybe install 100 locations and sell off to a specialized REIT?

    Alexander Vais

    • Developer
    • Midwest, South and national

    Posted 2 years ago

    Hi I’m a business Dev executive looking to partner with commercial retail owners and REITS to strike long term lease agreements installing high speed 50kw-250kw charging stations. Over the last two years I have personally secured 100+ contracts leading to the installation of 440 high speed charging stations in multiple states. We cover all costs, meter utilities separately and pay out a lease payment for parking spaces and gross revenues on all chargers installed.

    The benefits to owners;

    Transforming a class B property to class A by offering chargers. Increasing the value of your property.

    Driving traffic and revenues to your tenants.

    Future e-mobility and smart charging opportunities that will allow you access to data that can inform critical development, marketing, leasing and property management decisions.

    Please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions.

    Cheers

  • Chris BlackburnPro Member
    Developer · Salem, OR · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 110 votes
    3y

    Looking at a value add for Apartments and retail locations...  

    We have looked at being the ISP providing high-speed internet for the apartment complex, why not be a PCP (Power Charger Provider) (I may have to work on the acronym).  I want tenants with EV's at my complex.  I am concerned that once AV (Autonomous Vehicle)  or FSD Full self-driving cars are ubiquitous, no one should really own a vehicle.  (They will be used in Tesla or Amazon or Meta Drive share) and save the average renter $5000+ a year) 

    Does anyone have any experience with this company?

    https://hypercharge.com/partne...

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    How long before the technology changes like Betamax to Dvd to Blueray). 

    How long before these things pay for themselves, their instalation, purchase price, R&M, and scraping them? How long to get your money back.

    What if you put in the Betamax version and things change and the local Arco puts in the newest best Blueray version that runs on 3-phase elecricity that you can't get?

    I'll stick with real estate.

    I understand it, and it seems less risky.

    Just my 2 cents.

  • Chris BlackburnPro Member
    Developer · Salem, OR · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 110 votes
    3y

    Scott... This is a good point  "How long before these things pay for themselves, their installation, purchase price, R&M, and scraping them? How long to get your money back."

    Just like real estate, there is the potential for a value add.  Just like a gas station that also has a convenience store, like a parking garage in a city.    You are right to ask how quickly or soon the technology will be outdated.   I would say that Tesla selling 1M cars this year with 4? Gigafactories in the US could be a value add to a open piece of land off the freeway.  Do not even get me going with the new Tesla SemiTrucks.   Some risk but a good plan + real estate could be a good play. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Researched for ourselves.

     
    Dollars aren’t there yet to do as an investment unless you tie solar power to your electric usage.

    Generally you have say A/B/C level systems. C is your basic house plug and can take up to 8 hours to charge. B takes about 2 to 3 hours.  A takes about 1 hours.  Each would have its own application due to the length of time and their cost to install.  

    Next tech issue is there is a Tesla plug and then others.  There are adapters.  So the industry is not set for plug ins.  

    Next tech issue is getting someone to move their car after they are charged.  So the next person can plug in. Otherwise you need every parking spot at some point to be set up.

    Another tech issue is critical battery or earth elements.  China controls most of them.  

    Another distribution system discussion is why scrap all of the gas/diesel stations?  Hydrogen can go through the same distribution system and adapted combustible engine systems.  Plus China doesn’t control water from which hydrogen can be made.  H2O. 

    I would do an electric car if we put solar at our house and at our main self storage location we go to.  But long term Hydrogen has to win out.  We already have an entire distribution and auto support system built on a liquid form of fuel.  Plus speed of filling.  Access to hydrogen versus rare earth elements.  

    Did this off memory from about 3 months ago so please correct as needed.

    Another thing.  When hydrogen blows up, it goes straight up since it is a gas.  Versus gas and diesel spread out.  Safer from a fire standpoint. 

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    @Henry Clark Moving the car may not be an issue since the station itself may charge if a car passes its limit.  For example, Tesla superchargers next to our place do that through the app.

  • Chris BlackburnPro Member
    Developer · Salem, OR · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 110 votes
    3y

    @Henry Clark Henry, love what you have presented. Really like the idea of Solar, since it could go over the water detention area... (Our area always requires on-site) water detention) The solar is very visible and adds some input (Would have to measure ROI)

    The park-and-leave the car plugged-in is relatively easy to fix.  Just charge more for staying too long.

    Again- I am looking at the 220V charger for my apartment tenants.  (cheaper than a pool).

    Also need to consider the Full self driving car and will that end ownership?

    2017 motely fool https://tinyurl.com/38e54pvp

    2022/23 current status 

    https://www.fierceelectronics....

    ?  Maybe 2-6 years away... But when it happens it will change everything!

    Teens already would rather NOT ever drive.   A FSD car would mean no need for public transportation, no traffic jams, free rides to stores (grocery would pay to drive you there, malls would pay to drive you there and drive you right into the center of the mall) For $100 a month a car will show up at your door in 15 minutes or less.  Called AMAZIN DRIVE. (Jeff- call me if you need help setting this up) If you commute, the minute you are in the car, you on on the clock, you recover 2-3 hours a day that was spent driving to work.  Apartments will NOT need parking, (they already do this in Portland and are pushing it Salem (OR).   80% of the parking lots now become available for development or additional housing!  Think about that, 1/2 our land on our apartment builds are needed for parking.  Increased density and increased value and increased tax rolls.  It is kind of exciting.    

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    It’s not so much about charging more if a car stays in a spot.  it’s about the other cars waiting to charge. 

    Think of a gas filling station and cars park at the pumps all day long.  You might charge them, but the distribution system doesn’t work for the masses. 

    Actually to easy of a discussion. Government and energy companies just have to extrapolate how much rare earth elements are needed.   Who has them.  How much is there?  How much cost?  

    Then you re-create the Middle East oil scenario and make people with 20 camels worth 100 billion each and have their poor people start terrorism all over again.   For their rare earth minerals. 

    More countries around the world have access to H2O than oil.  Just a one time transmission of conversion process.  Distribution system already exists. Engine and tank design already exists. Actually overall, yes the overall process is cleaner than electric battery powered. 

    Just the Matador waving the red cape in front of the bull.   Electric just looks and sounds cleaner. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    20 years ago at our fulfillment warehouse we had self driving forklifts.   The driver was just there to take the correct number of units and put them in the basket and when it made it back to the truck center put the correct units into each outgoing truck bay. I tell you this so you understand I am for automation. I was also a Kaizen process improvement black belt.  So I can see beyond what is apparent and beyond anything I can imagine.  I know it’s possible. 

    With that said I don’t see the US as it is fundamentally set up from a governance standpoint ever getting to the world of cars you describe. If we do, it will only be in place for a few decades.  There are more efficient solutions to cars.   No cars.  

    Driverless cara. Are you willing to wear an ankle bracelet?  Are you willing to wear an RFID device on your body at all times?  Ask your regular Joe and Jane that question and see where the conversation goes.  

    Same with cash and electronic money.  Is there a more efficient form of monetary transactions than cash?  Yes. We have credit and debit cards.  All forms of payment go back to “faith”.  So the government which is testing electronic funds could say they will handle not only supplying the cash but also handling the transactions. Again go out to your average Joe and Jane and tell them that. See where the conversation goes.  

    Point.   As @Scott Mac noted there are changes in technology and processes. Are you an REI investor or are you a gambler?

    I’m in Europe now and have been to Asia.  We can easily do away with cars.   I just won’t vote for the restrictions needed to implement those measures.  Too much of a big sky and open road cowboy.  Part of being in the US.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    It’s not so much about charging more if a car stays in a spot.  it’s about the other cars waiting to charge. 

    Think of a gas filling station and cars park at the pumps all day long.  You might charge them, but the distribution system doesn’t work for the masses. 

    Actually to easy of a discussion. Government and energy companies just have to extrapolate how much rare earth elements are needed.   Who has them.  How much is there?  How much cost?  

    Then you re-create the Middle East oil scenario and make people with 20 camels worth 100 billion each and have their poor people start terrorism all over again.   For their rare earth minerals. 

    More countries around the world have access to H2O than oil.  Just a one time transmission of conversion process.  Distribution system already exists. Engine and tank design already exists. Actually overall, yes the overall process is cleaner than electric battery powered. 

    Just the Matador waving the red cape in front of the bull.   Electric just looks and sounds cleaner. 


    waiting to charge is an issue.. right now with Tesla's you kind of have the honor system and most telsa owners like me are very in tuned to charger arrival fairness and Q ing up with out fist fights.  AS for charging in Apartments I have to think thats almost a must going forward.. I put a charger in every house I build as standard.. I just had my first customer buy a tesla so I can pre wire them for 100 bucks or so saves them having to pay 500 or more to have them installed after the fact and its a nice perk no other builders i know are doing it.  Plus I put in a Generator plus ( which is needed in ice storms like this weekend)  so any of these little perks as we move into a tough selling season or two to me is important.
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    I have to be wrong at some point with 1,400 posts.  

    Actually I agree with you installing ev chargers. To much headwinds going that way.  I would have done one this year but the EV F150 truck I wanted is back ordered for 3 years and I think the price tag was $?????!  Growing up bagging groceries for tips and selling vegetables I can’t bring myself to do it.  Even though financially it’s a non decision. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    @Jay Hinrichs

    I have to be wrong at some point with 1,400 posts.  

    Actually I agree with you installing ev chargers. To much headwinds going that way.  I would have done one this year but the EV F150 truck I wanted is back ordered for 3 years and I think the price tag was $?????!  Growing up bagging groceries for tips and selling vegetables I can’t bring myself to do it.  Even though financially it’s a non decision. 

    AH  me to  my first good job was bagging groceries  and in those days I thought if I could just make it to checker and the 10 bucks an hour they made I would be set for life !!

    For us west coast folks Tesla's work very well.. our gas prices are the highest in the country.. but our power at 10pm goes down to  4 cents a KW so for a full 200 KW fill up its 2 dollars and thats about 200 miles of range.. then throw in Tesla has their own insurance.. which is really cool it ties into your app on your car and monitors your driving and then scores you on your driving per month..  0 is your a really bad driver 100 is your perfect the higher your score the lower your insurance that month. so for me and my wife we each have one  the cost for insurance is 1/3rd of what we were paying with normal insurance.

    So you add in $300 to $400 savings a month on gas and then $200 a month per car on insurance thats 600 a month.. then there is no maintenance no oil no taking it to the dealer for service Brakes last for the life of the car basically not to mention at least out here resale values are insanely high. Then there is the fact that the Model X for us RE professionals qualifies for section 179 .. And my Model X is one of the last ones made that has FREE super charging for life of the car so with our very robust supercharger network on the west coast you are never really more than 60 to 90 miles from a supercharger.  U cant abuse the super charger IE I have one 5 minutes from my house but if you charge there all the time Tesla will cut you off it was never intended for that.. same with those that use them for ride share services they will cut those folks off. 

  • Chris BlackburnPro Member
    Developer · Salem, OR · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 110 votes
    3y
    @Henry Clark   I think we already have agreed to the RFID device... Called a cell phone.

    Check out the gigafactory for tesla, I think they automated some of the process.  Not to get off topic, but ChatGPT or AI data may be taking over more of the "information" jobs than worker robots.   Either way change is happening very fast.  Straight real estate plays still work, so I agree with you.   Just trying to make a better mouse trap that does not go obsolete too fast...  Thank you for your input, you obiously have a lot of experience!


      Driverless cara. Are you willing to wear an ankle bracelet? Are you willing to wear an RFID device on your body at all times? Ask your regular Joe and Jane that question and see where the conversation goes.




    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    20 years ago at our fulfillment warehouse we had self driving forklifts.   The driver was just there to take the correct number of units and put them in the basket and when it made it back to the truck center put the correct units into each outgoing truck bay. I tell you this so you understand I am for automation. I was also a Kaizen process improvement black belt.  So I can see beyond what is apparent and beyond anything I can imagine.  I know it’s possible. 

    With that said I don’t see the US as it is fundamentally set up from a governance standpoint ever getting to the world of cars you describe. If we do, it will only be in place for a few decades.  There are more efficient solutions to cars.   No cars.  

    Driverless cara. Are you willing to wear an ankle bracelet?  Are you willing to wear an RFID device on your body at all times?  Ask your regular Joe and Jane that question and see where the conversation goes.  

    Same with cash and electronic money.  Is there a more efficient form of monetary transactions than cash?  Yes. We have credit and debit cards.  All forms of payment go back to “faith”.  So the government which is testing electronic funds could say they will handle not only supplying the cash but also handling the transactions. Again go out to your average Joe and Jane and tell them that. See where the conversation goes.  

    Point.   As @Scott Mac noted there are changes in technology and processes. Are you an REI investor or are you a gambler?

    I’m in Europe now and have been to Asia.  We can easily do away with cars.   I just won’t vote for the restrictions needed to implement those measures.  Too much of a big sky and open road cowboy.  Part of being in the US.  

  • Chris BlackburnPro Member
    Developer · Salem, OR · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 110 votes
    3y

    @jay  undefined

    @Jay Hinrichs hey, this is not Seeking Alpha;)  After those Tesla comments, I have to split my investments into Tesla stock and real estate?   I love America!  So much opportunity.  

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    Seems a bit early to get involved, but great time to start learning and monitoring

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Regarding "is anyone investing in actual full charging stations..." my answer would be 'no', other than your destination charging scenario of "your strip mall or hotel." Why? The short answers are the operating margins and utilization are too small/low. 

    The main public infrastructure competition is Electrify America (EA), EVgo, and Tesla. Assuming someone just gave you all the equipment for free, obtained all the initial leases for locations, gave you all the software and support infrastructure... you would still be hard pressed to break even. I know this by looking at the financials of EVgo, founded in 2010, and Electrify America, founded in 2016. Excluding Tesla (they have their own charging network) the EVgo SEC filing 10-K says EVgo owns and operates the United States’ largest public direct current fast charging network by number of locations. EVgo’s revenue is generated from the sale of charging services, which are comprised of retail, OEM and commercial (fleet) business lines.  Their cost of revenue consists primarily of energy usage fees, site operating and maintenance expenses, warranty and repair services, and site lease and rent expense associated with charging equipment. EVgo revenue minus cost of revenue, as a percentage of revenue, were 18.8% in the past three months, 30.0% last 9 months, and for 2021, 21.2%. Excluding non-cash warrant and depreciation expenses, EVgo has operated at a loss since inception. 

    Electrify America, founded out of DieselGate, is in Cycle 3 of their $2 billion deployment plan. If you feel motivated to build a charging network, you can browse through the Electrify America 2021 Annual Report to get an idea of what it requires. They don't provide revenue but do identify "Creditable Costs" (per DieselGate requirements) and other high-level statistics. For instance, in 2021 EA averaged two charging sessions per day per open charger, per section 2.2.4 of their 2021 report. Nationally, they delivered an average of 122,948 monthly charging sessions in 2021. If I use 50 kWh as an "average" charging session and use $0.47/kWh (this is what EA charged me in Greensboro NC and Wytheville VA) their revenue would be $2.889,278 per month. Seems kind of low for a $1,077,531,904 (page 28 of the report) investment.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Martin:

    Regarding "is anyone investing in actual full charging stations..." my answer would be 'no', other than your destination charging scenario of "your strip mall or hotel." Why? The short answers are the operating margins and utilization are too small/low. 

    The main public infrastructure competition is Electrify America (EA), EVgo, and Tesla. Assuming someone just gave you all the equipment for free, obtained all the initial leases for locations, gave you all the software and support infrastructure... you would still be hard pressed to break even. I know this by looking at the financials of EVgo, founded in 2010, and Electrify America, founded in 2016. Excluding Tesla (they have their own charging network) the EVgo SEC filing 10-K says EVgo owns and operates the United States’ largest public direct current fast charging network by number of locations. EVgo’s revenue is generated from the sale of charging services, which are comprised of retail, OEM and commercial (fleet) business lines.  Their cost of revenue consists primarily of energy usage fees, site operating and maintenance expenses, warranty and repair services, and site lease and rent expense associated with charging equipment. EVgo revenue minus cost of revenue, as a percentage of revenue, were 18.8% in the past three months, 30.0% last 9 months, and for 2021, 21.2%. Excluding non-cash warrant and depreciation expenses, EVgo has operated at a loss since inception. 

    Electrify America, founded out of DieselGate, is in Cycle 3 of their $2 billion deployment plan. If you feel motivated to build a charging network, you can browse through the Electrify America 2021 Annual Report to get an idea of what it requires. They don't provide revenue but do identify "Creditable Costs" (per DieselGate requirements) and other high-level statistics. For instance, in 2021 EA averaged two charging sessions per day per open charger, per section 2.2.4 of their 2021 report. Nationally, they delivered an average of 122,948 monthly charging sessions in 2021. If I use 50 kWh as an "average" charging session and use $0.47/kWh (this is what EA charged me in Greensboro NC and Wytheville VA) their revenue would be $2.889,278 per month. Seems kind of low for a $1,077,531,904 (page 28 of the report) investment.


    Chris this is why the tesla's are all over Oregon.. at 10Pm charge rate goes to 4 cents a KW and our normal rate is 12 cents from 6am to 10pm. And telsa super charger is far cheaper than the 47 cents I think its about 14 cents I will have to look at my bill.  my wifes car has to pay for it but we only use it a few times a year other wise its always charged at home at night.

    In looking at these charger setups there is a ton of what looks like VERY expensive equipment that needs to be installed.. the charger systems other than tesla also half the time dont work  the POS system fails etc..where tesla's is on your CC that is tied to the app.. so just plug in and go.. no monkeying around with trying to work the POS system.  I think a lot of Tesla's future value will be in their supercharger network once opened to other cars works so much better and easier.
  • Chris BlackburnPro Member
    Developer · Salem, OR · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 110 votes
    3y

    I am in Salem (OR) We only have 2 Tesla charging stations in the area. It seems like an opportunity. Need to weigh the benefits to the property w/ ROI on the asset.

    @Jay Hinrichs   Great to hear that the Tesla experience is superior to other charging companies.   I will dig into the cost of these chargers...  I guess Tesla could be like the Mcdonalds' of Charging locations and become a huge land owner.   If/when these become self-driving, they will need a way to have them autonomously go to a charging location and get juiced up.    It looks like the cost could be lower than the other companies (maybe subsidized or selling at cost to build infrastructure)   https://www.globest.com/2022/1...     

    Forbes reports that Tesla was asking for only ~$30,000 per charger versus the full $150,000 for most applicants:

    It would mean that Tesla’s Superchargers cost no more than ~$43,000 per charger versus over $200,000 for the competition based on the documents in these applications to the TxVEMP program.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Blackburn:

    I am in Salem (OR) We only have 2 Tesla charging stations in the area. It seems like an opportunity. Need to weigh the benefits to the property w/ ROI on the asset.

    @Jay Hinrichs   Great to hear that the Tesla experience is superior to other charging companies.   I will dig into the cost of these chargers...  I guess Tesla could be like the Mcdonalds' of Charging locations and become a huge land owner.   If/when these become self-driving, they will need a way to have them autonomously go to a charging location and get juiced up.    It looks like the cost could be lower than the other companies (maybe subsidized or selling at cost to build infrastructure)   https://www.globest.com/2022/1...     

    Forbes reports that Tesla was asking for only ~$30,000 per charger versus the full $150,000 for most applicants:

    It would mean that Tesla’s Superchargers cost no more than ~$43,000 per charger versus over $200,000 for the competition based on the documents in these applications to the TxVEMP program.


    from what I understand Tesla actually charges the land owner money to site their super chargers at the location as it brings in a LOT of business.. like the one in Woodburn all the restaurants around there get bizz the outlet malls get bizz and its a high quality/ capable clientele as well.  a lot of them are located at outlet malls up and down the I 5   but generally always at a spot where U can buy food and drink and find a restroom and let the pooch go potty.  Its very interesting the supercharger network and the comradeship of Telsa owners when your there ( of course unless its LA and long lines LOL) but up here folks are friendly .. and since these cars do all sorts of things I learned most of my techniques and tips at the superchargers talking to the younger owners who are really tuned into this computer on wheels. My wife though she found Fart mode on her own.. And when she drives up to our subdivision in Canby she lets that go and the subs just go love it.  LOL
  • Michael L.Pro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 293 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    This is something I am also interested in. I'd be much obliged if anyone can keep me posted if you hear of a how to method. Thanks.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Researched for ourselves.

     
    Dollars aren’t there yet to do as an investment unless you tie solar power to your electric usage.

    I have researched this as well. There are some statutory and technical issues here since only regulated utilities can both generate and sell electricity. An EV charging station (the electrical load) must be independent from the PV solar farm (the renewable electricity generator.) As a solar farm owner and Independent Power Producer, I can't, by law (specifically in my state by NCGS 62-3(23) n.1-4), sell electricity to the public. With only a few exceptions only regulated utilities can sell electricity to the public. The above sentences apply to all PUCs rules (other than California where rules are different) that I am aware of. Electricity self-consumption (e.g., rooftop solar via a net metering tariff) is allowed, as is reselling regulated power (landlord provided electric service(*), EV charging(**)), but generating and selling electricity make the operator a regulated utility. If you aren't licensed, expect a cease-and-desist order. Other exempt activities are covered under the NC Distributed Resources Access Act (established in 2017), including community solar, net metering, and solar leasing.

    Until 2019 in NC, EV charging stations were by definition a "Public Utility" operating against/outside the law. NC HOUSE BILL 329 provided a new exemption by explicitly stating that an electric vehicle charging station operator can be exempt if the operator "procured the electricity from an electric power supplier, as defined in G.S. 62-133.8(a)(3), that is authorized to engage in the retail sale of electricity within the territory in which the electric vehicle charging service is provided." In other words, Duke Energy gets their cut on their terms, and the EV charging station must buy power from Duke. 

    Fact is, EVgo and other EV charging operators like Electrify America that claim to run on "100% Renewable Energy" rely almost exclusively on SREC purchases. Nothing wrong with that, but those SRECs cost money and impact margins. 

    Regarding "Generally you have say A/B/C level systems. C is your basic house plug and can take up to 8 hours to charge. B takes about 2 to 3 hours. A takes about 1 hours." The terminology, used in the US at least, is Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 or DC Fast Charging (DCFC). L1 chargers plug directly into a standard 120-volt AC outlet, L2 chargers plug into a 220V AC outlet (e.g., NEMA 14-50), and L3/DCFC charger is DC-based. Charge times depend on kWh delivered. My F-150 Lightning charges from 20% to 80% reasonably quickly (20-30 minutes) on a DCFC at about 130-170 kWh average, a little quicker on average than our Mustang Mach-E. On a L2 charger (NEMA 14-50) I charge the F-150 overnight to 80% (or more depending on my destination) 240V, 50A, on the extended range 131kWh option. 

    References

    (*) - NCUC Chapter 22 - governs the resale of electricity by a lessor of a single-family dwelling, residential building, or multiunit apartment complex

    (**) - SESSION LAW 2019-132 - AN ACT TO (I) EXEMPT ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS FROM REGULATION AS PUBLIC UTILITIES

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Chris Martin. Thanks for tightening up the discussion. We would be on grid if we did this.  Wouldn’t want to trust a very large battery system and wind or solar off grid for our vehicles.  Thank you. 

  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jonathan G.:

     It seems like the easiest way to invest in EV charging stations would be to have a handful of them in your strip mall or hotel but is anyone investing in actual full charging stations or even aware of any syndication deals for EV charging stations?

    Not aware of anything up here and we are likely 10 years behind in Iowa but have been wondering if people are bringing in enough power on their new projects and rehabs to account for demand coming for electric vehicles. Also wondering if multifamily developers have thought of putting in a few charging stations that residents can pay for and use? The modern day coin-op laundry lol
  • New to Real Estate · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John M.:

    I’m interested in this as well, but don’t know any providers. I’ve heard it’s more of an amenity than a money maker. Let’s stay in touch


     I know one if still interested just let me know and I'll send his contact your way. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.