I pay $200,000 to a company and they pay be 4% annual interest. (Obviously they’re going to invest it to earn more than 4%. Then they tell me it’s a wonderful product because I can borrow 80% of it back at 5%. So now I’m earning $8,000 annually and paying $8,000 per year in interest, so I’m earning 0 on the $40,000 net invested. The company throws in $500,000 life insurance worth about $600 a year in premiums, and I’m told to go out and invest the $160,000 in real estate, stock market, private equity, mortgage notes, etc. and earn 9%.
Why don’t I just forgo the ”infinite banking” and invest the full $200,000 in whatever to earn 9% and pay the $600 per year for the term coverage I need.? Well, one reason the purchase the insurance product is that there’s a deferred tax advantage, as the lobbyists for insurance companies have “persuaded” politicians to grant any investment product having a minimal of insurance attached tax advantaged status. However, beside the “drag” on returns that getting paid 4% and paying 5% to access your own money has, the insurance companies also have varies fees, costs, etc associated with this as well as any other product they sell. So, the insurance sales person selling you the product gets a commission, subtracted directly from the amount of your investment, and or future income earned by your investment. Many of these products have other fees involved, similar to the fees for self directed retirement accounts where each fee by itself doesn’t seem like a lot, but added up it kills your return.
The thing about these program pitches is that they always display that in 30 years you'll have x amount of capital, and to many investors it looks good. However, it needs to be compared to the amount of capital you'd have if you invested directly without utilizing this insurance product. If you used a retirement account or any other tax deferred investment account the comparison would be easy. If not you'd have to account for the difference in taxes paid along the way, which would probably lessen the "invest directly" advantage. Think of it this way, paying large fees can only be justified on a ROI basis with outsized returns. Insurance products offer the opposite, smaller than index fund returns. The difference is the costs and profit to the insurance co.
You want financial advice? Get it from an UNBIASED Source, like someone paid either an hourly fee or an ongoing percentage of assets under management, like one half of one percent. You don’t get unbiased advice from someone whose livelihood relies on selling you a specific COMMISSIONED INVESTMENT.