National Tax Lien Training Scam?

National Tax Lien Training Scam?

New to Real Estate · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 3 votes

I want to start this off by saying that in all honesty, I'm usually not a very skeptical person and I am one to get ahead of myself and be misled into a bad idea or a scam that sounds too good to be true. About two weeks ago I got an ad on Instagram for a free training on Tax Lien investing from a company called "National Tax Lien Training" in Austin. I went to it last night, and it sounded super promising, they had this jacked salesman leading the presentation who seemed like a nice guy and explain the process but they offered a 3 day workshop at the end for $197, which at the time seemed like a bargain. After the seminar I did some more research and realized their website seemed like it was built in 5 minutes, with no history of anything, no hyperlinks on it, and just seemed super weird overall. Here it is if anyone is curious: https://nationaltaxlientraining.com/. I then read that some training companies like these had been shut down in a lawsuit, which claimed they did nearly exactly as I had experienced. The sales guy that led the whole presentation never said his name or his "mentor"s name, looking back on it, and made some claims that were just downright untrue no matter how you spin it. In the lawsuits it said they targeted naive investors, or the elderly, and from being in the room I can attest that 95% of the people were or somehow mentally not all there. I'm just throwing this out there in case someone had a similar experience or to prevent someone from going through the same thing. I will be cancelling the workshop I got yesterday, nonetheless. Let me know your thoughts, thank you! Here's the FTC lawsuit link: Lawsuit

2Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 2 votes
2y

I was at that same “training” you were! I usually am skeptical about these type of “classes”, so I was on the fence about canceling the purchase I made as well. I decided to not cancel and come to it anyways because I thought maybe I’d be proven wrong. However, today is Saturday Dec 2nd, day 2 of the training (I couldn’t attend day 1 due to work) and I can confidently tell you that their end goal is to have people cough up $30k to “join” something the speaker calls their “wolf pack”. I haven’t learned anything that I haven’t learned already through personal research, if anything I expected to learn about where/how to network with Hard Money Lenders and find the type of properties that should be targeted. Side note- they had me put my laptop away as soon as I arrived (where I was going to be taking notes) for “legal purposes” because they thought I would be recording. 
Thanks for your post- I found it during their “lunch break” when I googled “National Tax Lien Training Pyramid scheme”.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ryan Passaro:

    I want to start this off by saying that in all honesty, I'm usually not a very skeptical person and I am one to get ahead of myself and be misled into a bad idea or a scam that sounds too good to be true. About two weeks ago I got an ad on Instagram for a free training on Tax Lien investing from a company called "National Tax Lien Training" in Austin. I went to it last night, and it sounded super promising, they had this jacked salesman leading the presentation who seemed like a nice guy and explain the process but they offered a 3 day workshop at the end for $197, which at the time seemed like a bargain. After the seminar I did some more research and realized their website seemed like it was built in 5 minutes, with no history of anything, no hyperlinks on it, and just seemed super weird overall. Here it is if anyone is curious: https://nationaltaxlientraining.com/. I then read that some training companies like these had been shut down in a lawsuit, which claimed they did nearly exactly as I had experienced. The sales guy that led the whole presentation never said his name or his "mentor"s name, looking back on it, and made some claims that were just downright untrue no matter how you spin it. In the lawsuits it said they targeted naive investors, or the elderly, and from being in the room I can attest that 95% of the people were or somehow mentally not all there. I'm just throwing this out there in case someone had a similar experience or to prevent someone from going through the same thing. I will be cancelling the workshop I got yesterday, nonetheless. Let me know your thoughts, thank you! Here's the FTC lawsuit link: Lawsuit


     Any 3 day or 2 day small priced seminar is just part of an upsell funnel to get you to spend $10k or more on something you can find on youtube. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    Agreed - be careful on tax lien investing - it can be lucrative but it is a very very niche specialty area and a very small world of actual experts - can get complex quickly and big promises of "easy" investing in it should be taken skeptically

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    Thanks for the post, my husband and I planned to go but could not make it last minute.

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 2 votes
    2y

    I was at that same “training” you were! I usually am skeptical about these type of “classes”, so I was on the fence about canceling the purchase I made as well. I decided to not cancel and come to it anyways because I thought maybe I’d be proven wrong. However, today is Saturday Dec 2nd, day 2 of the training (I couldn’t attend day 1 due to work) and I can confidently tell you that their end goal is to have people cough up $30k to “join” something the speaker calls their “wolf pack”. I haven’t learned anything that I haven’t learned already through personal research, if anything I expected to learn about where/how to network with Hard Money Lenders and find the type of properties that should be targeted. Side note- they had me put my laptop away as soon as I arrived (where I was going to be taking notes) for “legal purposes” because they thought I would be recording. 
    Thanks for your post- I found it during their “lunch break” when I googled “National Tax Lien Training Pyramid scheme”.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.