What do you do when you’re feeling overwhelmed ?

What do you do when you’re feeling overwhelmed ?

Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes

Hey everyone,

Hopefully this finds you all healthy and happy in this crazy year we’re having!

I’ve been feeling somewhat overwhelmed with my current(also first) investment deal and wanted to reach out to the community to see what people do when things get overwhelming.

Let us know what helps you get through when you feel like you have a thousand things to do and very little time to do it!

For me, I make a list and start checking boxes.

Thanks for your input!

Keep grinding!

Timothy Richter

3Reply
147 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

I'm also a big fan of the to do list @Tim Richter. I have gone a step further since reading Jocko Willink's book, and now prioritize the list as well, especially on really stressful days. 

I've found that the most stressful items on the list are also usually the ones with the highest priority, so it's kind of like killing two birds with one stone - check off a thing that is causing the stress and checking off a item on my list just feels good.

If things are really crazy, I'll eventually just drop everything and go to the gym where they have a heavy bag set up. Pull out the boxing gloves, and go to town. It's amazing what a few minutes with the bag will do to clear the mind and take some of the edge off!

See this reply in the discussion

60 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    For me sometimes it’s something as simple as taking a step back and changing my lense in which I’m looking through. I read something from John Maxwell where he said everyone needs to be equipped with a telescope and a microscope. When the day to day stuff starts stressing you out and giving you anxiety then you need to pull out the telescope and put away the microscope. As in look at the big picture and the goals you are trying to reach. And vise versa- when the big picture seems overwhelming and like such a daunting task, you need to be able to pull out the microscope and focus on one task at a time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 138 votes
    5y

    Hey @Tim Richter, I'm also a fan of checklists. I like to keep track of my tasks using an app called Todoist. Anytime a thought pops in my head that I want to remember later, I jot it down there. It helps keep my mind clear from trying to remember every little thing I want or need to do. In the morning I'll review my daily tasks, and before bed I'll review and plan for the next day.

    I also try to meditate every night before bed using an app called Calm. They have some great programs that span across several days, each guided session lasting 10-12 minutes. I recommend 7 days of focus, 7 days of managing stress, and 7 days of calming anxiety.

    You really learn how much our brains are constantly thinking and making noise; most of the time about past events that you can't change, or future events and all the possible scenarios that might happen. Meditation helps me focus on being present.

    Hope this helps. If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter

    First deal that’s awesome! I’m a first time investor myself, but whenever I get overwhelmed with to do lists and ideas I keep reminding myself to focus on one item at a time. The to-do list gets done much quicker that way. As well as taking action and being decisive rather than overthinking everything in turn becoming overwhelmed.

    Hope this helps, good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Bob Stevens I hope to find a good pm some day to take care of everything for me. Right now this is my first investment property, but I plan on owning many more in the future and I’ll need to find a good one eventually.

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Jon Kelly very true. Those outside pressures can be the swift kick I need to move onto the next step. We do have electricity and running water. I’ve got a stand by kitchen sink for the time being so we should be alright lol.

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Stephen DeThample I couldn’t agree more. Taking a deep breath and clearing your head can really help when you’re feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Great advice, thank you for your response!

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 433 posts · 743 votes
    5y

    I do the exact same thing, make a checklist. But take that a step further and document and save that checklist so that the next time this comes through, you'll have a system in place that will guide you along and it more or less becomes mindless. I try to make it a goal to make the list so stupid-proof, yet detailed, that I could hand it off to an assistant to handle the transaction. Whether or not you want to get to that level where you need an assistant is besides the point, the point is just to have the guide!

  • Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 63 votes
    5y

    Hey Tim, thanks for starting this post. What helps me when I am overwhelmed is to close my eyes and think about why I am doing what I am doing. When it is 2am and I am painting while the tenant next door is selling drugs, I remember that I want to retire my mom so she doesn't have to work on her fresh bi-lateral knee replacements. What also helps is to ask for Gods help and to remember that he doesn't give us anything that we can't handle. Lastly, I'll remember that this is the only life that I get so I better make it count. There is no room to quit.

    Hope this gave some insight and could help someone. -Caleb

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Louis Zameryka thank you for the congratulations!

    I agree exercise is a great way for dealing with stress. And I like your perspective about our problems as luxuries to some.

    I also wish you luck with your STR investment! Hope all goes well!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Chace Corbett I love that! I haven’t read any John Maxwell, but I might start. Telescope for the big picture and a microscope for the finer details. Excellent!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Justin Wotring thank you for your response! I’ll have to check those apps out! They sound like they could be very helpful!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Filip Reutov thank you for your response! I agree. Sometimes it’s helpful to just focus on one item at a time. I do some landscaping on the side and whenever I look at a big job that needs to be done, I take this approach. Before you know it you’re all done!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Tucker Cummings great advice! This is an area that I’m relatively weak in. I really need to work on documenting my process. Not only will this help when I’m stuck in a similar situation, but also helps me assess my process and see if there’s room for improvement. There almost always is! Lol

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Caleb Johnson thanks for your response! It sounds like you’ve got clear goals and are hungry to achieve them. I respect that. The hustle can be hard sometimes but if you’ve got clear goals and determination then nothing can stop you!

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    First, I go for a run. It always clears my head and puts me in a positive mood so I can focus and think strategically. Second, I start making a list of everything that needs to be done and assigning priority to the tasks. I have always told my kids when they're feeling overwhelmed to take a step back. We have a saying in our family. "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." The whole elephant is overwhelming. But when you think about it as small bites, it's less overwhelming. You're suddenly solving for one issue at a time instead of the whole thing. 

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 818 posts · 639 votes
    5y

    Set aside time (5-20 minutes) to meditate. I know some days feels like there is no time at all, but it is a small investment that will pay dividends over the course of the remaining hours. 

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter

    Feeling overwhelmed...good...it’s only a feeling. Prioritize and execute. List tasks needed to get done starting with smallest and progressing to the hardest. Smaller tasks build momentum and confidence to go after the bigger ones. Don’t put things off, this is an inner mind demon and like a disease it will grow. Control your mind. Go after it with aggression. Get it done

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter

    I often do get overwhelmed from going too fast and what I usually do is take a moment to breathe, and talk to my business friends on my next steps. Talking it out to yourself or to others help you understand your position and how to go with it after. I also use a white board to draw out my next steps as well. Overall, stay calm and retrace your steps. Hope that helps.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 784 posts · 528 votes
    5y

    Napolean Hill once said you become what you think about. There is the premise that whatever you focus on expands as well. I find that stress in real estate can be a killer. I don't think I slept a wink in 2009/2010 during the crisis. I find that its best to have a partner or mentor to talk about issues. Build a list does help, but you need to find a way to expel the energy that is pent up. In addition, I like to read Biographies of famous people. Some great reads out there about Presidents, Amazon's Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, as well as other current leaders of amazing companies. I also find exercise or walking helps too.

    You have to get your mind off what is stressing you out. Don't let it consume you and change you because you will not like the new person you have become. Best of luck to you!

  • Ken NyczajPro Member
    Investor · Grasonville, MD · Member since 2017 · 453 posts · 415 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter bounce ideas off of your team mates after you've had a few minutes to clear your head. Or positive self talk helps when you truly think about the reason why you're pushing yourself and getting into real estate. It helps get you through those overwhelming days.

    And a good nights rest! No social media no TV!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter I usually pop a self improvement book on my earbuds . That or No Shoes Radio on SiriusXM . If that does doesn’t do it , I’ll pour a bourbon over ice , fire up the PlayStation and kill some people on Call of a duty . But usually the radio reboots me

  • Real Estate Broker · Pueblo, CO · Member since 2013 · 366 posts · 303 votes
    5y

    1 if 2 things:

    I grab the dog and walk until I forget about it and then return home.  I'll never live somewhere I can't immediately do that from my front door.  

    I get in my car drive to the gym and my basketball gear is in my trunk so I shoot hoops for hours until I forget about it and then I return home.

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2015 · 325 posts · 447 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter

    My strategy was to just show up every day. I have had projects that have overwhelmed me. If I was at the project, blasting the radio, kicking *** and taking names, it wasn’t too bad.

    When you let the stress consume you, it’s only a bad path. I have been there.

    Investing is like running, you look down when you are climbing the hills and put one foot in front of the other. When you are going down hill, you enjoy the scenery.

    Good luck brother. I always tell myself “when my head is on straight I am unstoppable”, getting to that point can take some internal persuasion.

  • Property Manager · Ottawa, ON · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Filipe Pereira I was just going to say "prioritize and execute" - Jocko Willink

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Bonnie Low love that quote!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.