What do you do when you’re feeling overwhelmed ?

What do you do when you’re feeling overwhelmed ?

Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes

Hey everyone,

Hopefully this finds you all healthy and happy in this crazy year we’re having!

I’ve been feeling somewhat overwhelmed with my current(also first) investment deal and wanted to reach out to the community to see what people do when things get overwhelming.

Let us know what helps you get through when you feel like you have a thousand things to do and very little time to do it!

For me, I make a list and start checking boxes.

Thanks for your input!

Keep grinding!

Timothy Richter

3Reply
162 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

I'm also a big fan of the to do list @Tim Richter. I have gone a step further since reading Jocko Willink's book, and now prioritize the list as well, especially on really stressful days. 

I've found that the most stressful items on the list are also usually the ones with the highest priority, so it's kind of like killing two birds with one stone - check off a thing that is causing the stress and checking off a item on my list just feels good.

If things are really crazy, I'll eventually just drop everything and go to the gym where they have a heavy bag set up. Pull out the boxing gloves, and go to town. It's amazing what a few minutes with the bag will do to clear the mind and take some of the edge off!

See this reply in the discussion

60 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I'm also a big fan of the to do list @Tim Richter. I have gone a step further since reading Jocko Willink's book, and now prioritize the list as well, especially on really stressful days. 

    I've found that the most stressful items on the list are also usually the ones with the highest priority, so it's kind of like killing two birds with one stone - check off a thing that is causing the stress and checking off a item on my list just feels good.

    If things are really crazy, I'll eventually just drop everything and go to the gym where they have a heavy bag set up. Pull out the boxing gloves, and go to town. It's amazing what a few minutes with the bag will do to clear the mind and take some of the edge off!

  • Jon KellyPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 929 posts · 951 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter A prioritized to-do list of actionable tasks is definitely helpful. You also need to deal with what is making you feel overwhelmed. Is it the amount of work involved in rehabbing your first investment property? Is it the amount of paperwork? Is it a bit of fear not knowing if you made the right decision? 

    This fear or overwhelmed feeling will subside with experience. On your 2nd, 3rd, etc. property, you will start to feel comfortable with the entire process from finding deals, analyzing, making offers, closing, rehabbing, renting, etc. 

    Congrats on your first deal and best of luck on your next ones! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter Congrats on your 1st deal! It is very normal to feel this way, especially early. As you keep going, and get more properties, you will remember the fun in it and take some time to smile through all the anxious moments. The fact that you're even aware that you are feeling this way deserves some credit. My advice to you, is keep on going, enjoy the process, and remember....it's alllll going to work out just fine. Go get em!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    Take a deep breath, then make a list and break it down.  Hire people to do what you can't or if there is a lot whatever will make your life easier.  Realize that things go in spurts and sometimes it seems everything happens at once, but it isn't always like that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Filipe Pereira great advice. I agree checking off items definitely is a relief. And getting the hardest things out of the way first can really help. I think I would benefit quite a bit from having a workout routine as well. I work a pretty physical full time job so I’ve found excuses not to work out as well. But some positive physical exertion would really help. Thanks for your response!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Jon Kelly thanks for your response! Right now I think the source of my fear/overwhelmededness(new word?lol) is the fact that we’re trying to move into one of the units that haven’t completely been rehabbed yet. Basically the plan was to house hack. I bought a two-family. Currently renting the downstairs while rehabbing the upstairs. But now we’re at this point that we need to move into the upstairs unit and complete the rehab while there. I wanted to be further along with the rehab before moving, but it just didn’t turn out that way. We can’t put off the move any longer so we’re going for it. And yes it’s a little scary, but exciting too.

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Bud Gaffney thank you for your comforting words. In many ways I know that it will all work out in the end and it will get easier the more I do it, but it’s still nice to hear someone else saying it. Thanks again!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Theresa Harris truly wise words. You’re absolutely right that things go in spurts. Thanks for the perspective. Very helpful :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter You're so welcome, my friend. You got this.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    Seriously though just remember that your worries of today will mostly be forgotten 30, 60 or 90 days from now. Worry does absolutely nothing to help you. As others recommended, make a list and take action. Remember that perfection is the enemy of progress (Winston Churchill). If you are getting it all done, you will make mistakes, but that is ok.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    I'm on the same page. Make a list of actionable items, broken down into steps if the task is too big. Shut off all email, phone notifications, and other distractions and hack away for an hour. Take a 15-minute break for a quick walk or something to clear your head, then get back to it. Check off the boxes as you make progress and you'll feel much better.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Abilene, TX · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter You got this! You're doing the exact right thing by reaching out for an outside party's perspective! I find that's extremely important when I'm in paralysis mode. Even just talking through my list of stressful items with an impartial third party helps me organize my thoughts, get out of an overwhelmed funk, and be more productive. But when I feel that my ever-so-organized and color-coded to-do list has more items than the year has days, I go back to the Eisenhower matrix and get rid of as many of my items as possible:

  • Specialist · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2020 · 200 posts · 105 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter I had a mentor from Maryland tell me its ok to yell or cry when things get hard just dont quit. I will go play golf,take a long walk or hike, if I walk playing golf I get all 3 in one, and it helps me relax and "focus on solutions". @Filipe Pereira I like putting the boxing gloves on sometimes too,feels good. Another good book is Getting Things Done by David Allen, the audiobook was great.

  • Lender · Frisco, TX · Member since 2019 · 546 posts · 270 votes
    5y

    Meditating and working out usually helps 

  • Member since 2018 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter congrats on your purchase! We did/are doing a live in flip. We didn't have ANYTHING done before we moved in due to time constraints. It has taken us quite a while but breaking things up into small manageable tasks really helps. Also, when I get really frustrated, that fuels me to get things done. Best of luck, and feel free to reach out with any rehab questions!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Joe Splitrock Haha love the Rob Schneider meme. So true about things not needing to be perfect. Thanks for your response!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Nathan G. Good advice! I’m a big fan of the 15 minute walk! I probably need to do a few more of those lately! Thanks for the advice!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Lydia Bundy thanks for your response! I definitely love having BiggerPockets as a community to bounce ideas around. People are so supportive! And yes the Eisenhower matrix is a great way to prioritize to-do items. You sound like a very organized person. When my lists start getting color coded I will have truly grown lol

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @David Robinson so true. Well there’s definitely no quitting going on here. Keep pushing forward even if I have to yell about it sometimes. Thanks for your response.

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Elise Marquette I couldn’t agree more!

  • Rental Property Investor · Peabody, MA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Kelsey T. Thank you! Sounds like you’ve been through this already. If I have any questions I’ll be sure to ask.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter simple , hire a PM co to take care of all,,,,,,, KEEP IT SIMPLE 

  • Jon KellyPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 929 posts · 951 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter Sometimes outside pressure forcing you to make moves is exactly what you need. I hope you have running water and electricity! Best of luck

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 459 posts · 305 votes
    5y

    Anytime it is too much take a step outside for some fresh air and come back in with the right mindset, you will not get anything on the lists done without a refreshed mind.  Only takes a couple mins and will help clear things up.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 105 posts · 49 votes
    5y

    @Tim Richter congrats on the first investment .

    My go to is the prioritized list too. Also I’m a competitive runner so I go for a run with music where I just have some fun on the run. Silliness to break my stress/seriousness. If it’s reflection that’s needed and a calming of my mind it’s meditation.

    Furthermore something that gets me through anything is taking a moment for reflection and gratitude. I acknowledge that my problem is a luxury for probably 80% of the world, and that “I came into this world naked and screaming and if I go out the same way at least I broke even”

    By they way I'm currently sitting on my couch trying to decide if on my first STR investment I go $500 above asking for a home I am certain will rent well and is a good value because I'm not at all a handy guy and I'll need to do an extensive rehab (even if it means hiring a GC)...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.