Roofing estimates: are my expectations too high?

Roofing estimates: are my expectations too high?

Pitman, NJ · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote

I purchased a duplex in June in the South Jersey area to house hack with the expectation that the roof would need to be fully replaced, including decking. I also have a dead chimney that I want to be brought below the roofline. It's a 2 story building (~2500 sq. ft.), approx. 25 squares and would require ~70 sheets of plywood based on an estimate that I was provided. The existing decking is cedar wood that would need to be disposed. Nothing extraordinary about the sloping or structure of the roof.

I've received two estimates that were both north of $30k; I was anticipating $20k on the high end. To further complicate things, the two companies that have provided estimates, and a third that I attempted to book for an estimate, have flat out refused to provide a breakout of the total cost. Not even what they'd be charging for plywood.

Is this common practice to refuse providing line item estimates? I've had a roof replaced in the past, but it was 1/4 of the cost of what I'm being quoted, so I didn't inquire as much about cost breakout. I understand that they need to make money and I don't mind paying if it can be justified, but I'm having a hard time reconciling the cost with the amount of work that's required. My CPA also advised that I should be requesting itemized invoices for any work done, but these companies only want to provide scope of work and slap total price at the bottom of the page, so my concern is that I could be getting gouged on materials.

Wanted to ask for opinions on reasonable expectations for what's provided on an estimate, especially considering the price range I'm being quoted.

Thank you.


0Reply
102 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
3y

I think in the last 7 or 8 years I've done 12 roofs with 4 different contractors. Not one provided a line item breakdown of materials and labor. Job price only, all materials & labor included. The cushion is either their bonus for being good at estimating and getting the work done fast or their loss for missing things on the walk around. Every contractor I've used has walked the entire roof, where they're looking for soft spots, extra flashing work, intrusions (pipe boots, chimneys, skylights, etc), and the like. 

The only way you know if it's a good price is to get experience and bids. If all the professional bids you get are within 10% of each other you know that's your local going rate. If they are all over creation you need to do more investigative work.

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Haymarket · Member since 2022 · 76 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    Keep shopping - I would suggest calling a local roofing supplier and get some referrals from them. Tell them you are a flipper/investor and you need a good priced crew that is insured and licensed. I have done this and found some amazing trades people.

    I would let them know that you want a quote with the price per sheet of plywood replaced and how much the chimney work would cost. 

    So ask for:

    Roof replacement price

    Price per sheet of plywood or sq ft.

    Chimney work

  • Contractor · AZ · Member since 2022 · 215 posts · 185 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Daniel Lempa:

    Is this common practice to refuse providing line item estimates? 

    Do you give your tenants an itemized breakdown of their rents... your mortgage payment, insurance, maintenance costs, your profit, etc.?

    I understand that a lot of real estate investors are numbers people and like to see this level of detail, but remember contractors are not obligated to provide this information to customers, and as you're finding out, many won't. The current market conditions aren't helping you either - the trades are in high demand and short supply. A lot of times you are going to have to play by their rules.

    I generally agree with @Dan White - If you're not happy with the bids you've received, then keep calling around. There's a decent chance you'll eventually find a contractor who is nice enough to share more detail. Just be prepared for a lot of companies to tell you to go pound sand before you find that one person :) Also, be careful with the cheap bids... a lot of times you get what you pay for.

    I'll admit I'm a novice when it comes to roofing, so I'm not going to speculate on what's a fair price. Hopefully this post will catch the attention of some of the other contractors on the forums. I know there are some roofing specialists out there.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    I think in the last 7 or 8 years I've done 12 roofs with 4 different contractors. Not one provided a line item breakdown of materials and labor. Job price only, all materials & labor included. The cushion is either their bonus for being good at estimating and getting the work done fast or their loss for missing things on the walk around. Every contractor I've used has walked the entire roof, where they're looking for soft spots, extra flashing work, intrusions (pipe boots, chimneys, skylights, etc), and the like. 

    The only way you know if it's a good price is to get experience and bids. If all the professional bids you get are within 10% of each other you know that's your local going rate. If they are all over creation you need to do more investigative work.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    The cost of items has increased. I have changed my roof for my personal home and it cost $3000 more than what I was quoted 4 years ago. You should put yourself in the contractor's shoes. Breaking done the cost of each item would be too much work for a contractor to do with each customer. You can offer to pay for a detailed estimate, so they do not feel that you are wasting their time. Otherwise, keep on searching and you will find the average price. Sorry it is expensive in the tristate. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Haymarket · Member since 2022 · 76 posts · 70 votes
    3y

    I don't think it is a materials breakdown like nails, shingles, felt, etc.

    I think the biggest question you have is if the price is fair...maybe.

    The cedar wood you talk about is cedar shake shingles? Or cedar planks for roof support?

    Disposing of cedar shakes are labor intensive and has high dump fees. If it is cedar planks for decking, you must replace everything with plywood to support new shingles. Again, labor intensive.

    I did roofing for 7 years and it is a pretty common request to breakdown into shingle install price and plywood install price...takes 5 minutes.

    The SOW will have tearoff and replace shingles (Price) this includes their materials, labor and profit included...not broken down, just a total.

    Plywood Replacement (Price) same as before, total price for materials, labor, and profit...not broken down, just a total.

    Chimney work (Price)

    Keep looking around.

  • Contractor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2022 · 265 posts · 146 votes
    3y

    Short answer is no, your not going to get a line items detailed break out on a quote/Estimate.  You may only see that if your dealing with an insurance claim, and then the totals will be high, which is probably what pricing the 2 companies you mentioned are using!  (ins #'s to get their final price)  The Est's you shared, ARE High!!!  And surprising you are correct on your own assumptions... $20 on the high end. :)  That is, if it is truly 1sty, Non-Steep, 25sq, Total ReDeck.

    Dan had a good suggestion (but reading his comments, I see why he doesn't do roofing anymore (lol)), to ask a local Supplier for a reference.  But, if you want to cya (cover your a*s), and require them to have insurance, long warranty (5yrs), etc... you won't get a "crew" but perhaps a good owner/operator.  "Crews" don't have their own insurance, generally.  And again, no line items so they won't be quoting you price per/sheet of plywood or osb, because it is ALL being installed!  (cedar shake shingles being removed, solid decking being installed) = a ReDeck job.   IF it already had decking, then you'd see a breakout of: $xxx per/sheet of decking replaced.

    @JD Martin :  Kind of curious, WHY would you use 4 different contractors for roofs?  Did each one close shop, or you were looking for the cheapest person each time? ... If your an Investor, your the type that "we" usually try to avoid for sure! lol  Nothing personal, but the Investors that we work with, know that WE are trustworthy, do a GREAT job, and we are very fair on pricing.  So why wouldn't they use us on other jobs!? :D

    Suggestion: On a total ReDeck, spend the little extra and get the OSB boards with the Radiant Barrier on the back of them! (like aluminum foil)  When newly built or situations like this, is the only time you get to do this!  And here in the South, we build or always think about ways to reduce or alleviate the Heat!  Maybe you don't have to worry about that so much up north.

    AND, when they strip off the cedar, you'll have the lathe boards up there (1x3's or 1x4 boards), most time the crews want to just move the few in place to catch the edge of the new decking, BUT go ahead and tell them remove all the extra ones!  So you'll leave the ones up there that need to be on the edges of the decking, about every 4ft, coming down the roof.  Do this Especially if your going to use the Radiant Barrier decking, as any surface of that stuff that is pressed up against something, I.e. the support lathe boards, is negated! (if pressed up against something, the R.Barrier doesn't hardly work)

    Sorry I/we aren't closer to help.  For sure, don't call anyone that you might hear on the Radio, see on TV, etc... There's a reason they have the money to spend on those expensive ad slots! :P  Message me directly if you have specific questions or that.

    Jerry  w/J's Roofing  Richardson, TX

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jerry V.:

    Short answer is no, your not going to get a line items detailed break out on a quote/Estimate.  You may only see that if your dealing with an insurance claim, and then the totals will be high, which is probably what pricing the 2 companies you mentioned are using!  (ins #'s to get their final price)  The Est's you shared, ARE High!!!  And surprising you are correct on your own assumptions... $20 on the high end. :)  That is, if it is truly 1sty, Non-Steep, 25sq, Total ReDeck.

    Dan had a good suggestion (but reading his comments, I see why he doesn't do roofing anymore (lol)), to ask a local Supplier for a reference.  But, if you want to cya (cover your a*s), and require them to have insurance, long warranty (5yrs), etc... you won't get a "crew" but perhaps a good owner/operator.  "Crews" don't have their own insurance, generally.  And again, no line items so they won't be quoting you price per/sheet of plywood or osb, because it is ALL being installed!  (cedar shake shingles being removed, solid decking being installed) = a ReDeck job.   IF it already had decking, then you'd see a breakout of: $xxx per/sheet of decking replaced.

    @JD Martin :  Kind of curious, WHY would you use 4 different contractors for roofs?  Did each one close shop, or you were looking for the cheapest person each time? ... If your an Investor, your the type that "we" usually try to avoid for sure! lol  Nothing personal, but the Investors that we work with, know that WE are trustworthy, do a GREAT job, and we are very fair on pricing.  So why wouldn't they use us on other jobs!? :D

    Suggestion: On a total ReDeck, spend the little extra and get the OSB boards with the Radiant Barrier on the back of them! (like aluminum foil)  When newly built or situations like this, is the only time you get to do this!  And here in the South, we build or always think about ways to reduce or alleviate the Heat!  Maybe you don't have to worry about that so much up north.

    AND, when they strip off the cedar, you'll have the lathe boards up there (1x3's or 1x4 boards), most time the crews want to just move the few in place to catch the edge of the new decking, BUT go ahead and tell them remove all the extra ones!  So you'll leave the ones up there that need to be on the edges of the decking, about every 4ft, coming down the roof.  Do this Especially if your going to use the Radiant Barrier decking, as any surface of that stuff that is pressed up against something, I.e. the support lathe boards, is negated! (if pressed up against something, the R.Barrier doesn't hardly work)

    Sorry I/we aren't closer to help.  For sure, don't call anyone that you might hear on the Radio, see on TV, etc... There's a reason they have the money to spend on those expensive ad slots! :P  Message me directly if you have specific questions or that.

    Jerry  w/J's Roofing  Richardson, TX

    Two closed up shop and one got so busy they wouldn't take on any other jobs. And keep in mind this was 12 different jobs, not 4 different jobs. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    3y

    Hello, this is pretty standard. I agree with the others that our roofing companies do not provide this level of detail. Good luck & happy investing! 

    RentWerx Property Management4.73296 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Daniel Lempa decking AND roof? Not sure u are so far off. Given the recent run up and volatility I doubt they would want to quote you the materials cost even if they were otherwise inclined. They could get really caught on that one.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    3y

    I think it is fair to get a line item breakdown between the roof cost, the chimney cost, and the deck cost as they are 3 services, however, expecting a labor and materials breakdown of each is not reasonable and most good contractors won’t do it.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jonathan R McLaughlin:

    @Daniel Lempa decking AND roof? Not sure u are so far off. Given the recent run up and volatility I doubt they would want to quote you the materials cost even if they were otherwise inclined. They could get really caught on that one.


     Excellent point. Even  a small 1000sf roof could run $2-3k in decking alone.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    @Daniel Lempa You gotten good info, I just wanted to chime in with @Ryan Normand

    Why do you really care what they are paying/charging for plywood? It has no relevance.

    Do not expect any Contractor to give you a breakdown of pricing. Just find a good, fair price with a Contractor who is properly licensed/bonded/insured with good references. That is all that you need to know. And DO NOT pick the lowest price you find, that never ends well.

  • Contractor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2022 · 265 posts · 146 votes
    3y
    Quote from @JD Martin:
    Quote from @Jerry V.:

    Short answer is no, your not going to get a line items detailed break out on a quote/Estimate.  You may only see that if your dealing with an insurance claim, and then the totals will be high, which is probably what pricing the 2 companies you mentioned are using!  (ins #'s to get their final price)  The Est's you shared, ARE High!!!  And surprising you are correct on your own assumptions... $20 on the high end. :)  That is, if it is truly 1sty, Non-Steep, 25sq, Total ReDeck.

    Dan had a good suggestion (but reading his comments, I see why he doesn't do roofing anymore (lol)), to ask a local Supplier for a reference.  But, if you want to cya (cover your a*s), and require them to have insurance, long warranty (5yrs), etc... you won't get a "crew" but perhaps a good owner/operator.  "Crews" don't have their own insurance, generally.  And again, no line items so they won't be quoting you price per/sheet of plywood or osb, because it is ALL being installed!  (cedar shake shingles being removed, solid decking being installed) = a ReDeck job.   IF it already had decking, then you'd see a breakout of: $xxx per/sheet of decking replaced.

    @JD Martin :  Kind of curious, WHY would you use 4 different contractors for roofs?  Did each one close shop, or you were looking for the cheapest person each time? ... If your an Investor, your the type that "we" usually try to avoid for sure! lol  Nothing personal, but the Investors that we work with, know that WE are trustworthy, do a GREAT job, and we are very fair on pricing.  So why wouldn't they use us on other jobs!? :D

    Suggestion: On a total ReDeck, spend the little extra and get the OSB boards with the Radiant Barrier on the back of them! (like aluminum foil)  When newly built or situations like this, is the only time you get to do this!  And here in the South, we build or always think about ways to reduce or alleviate the Heat!  Maybe you don't have to worry about that so much up north.

    AND, when they strip off the cedar, you'll have the lathe boards up there (1x3's or 1x4 boards), most time the crews want to just move the few in place to catch the edge of the new decking, BUT go ahead and tell them remove all the extra ones!  So you'll leave the ones up there that need to be on the edges of the decking, about every 4ft, coming down the roof.  Do this Especially if your going to use the Radiant Barrier decking, as any surface of that stuff that is pressed up against something, I.e. the support lathe boards, is negated! (if pressed up against something, the R.Barrier doesn't hardly work)

    Sorry I/we aren't closer to help.  For sure, don't call anyone that you might hear on the Radio, see on TV, etc... There's a reason they have the money to spend on those expensive ad slots! :P  Message me directly if you have specific questions or that.

    Jerry  w/J's Roofing  Richardson, TX

    Two closed up shop and one got so busy they wouldn't take on any other jobs. And keep in mind this was 12 different jobs, not 4 different jobs. 

    JD, I'll Eat Crow when appropriate ... you have very good reasons for using different Contractors over the years... Hope you've found good ones that you can rely on.  True, Contractors close up very often, esp Storm Chasers!  Or, they close the exiting name, and just open up under another name :(
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Haymarket · Member since 2022 · 76 posts · 70 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jerry V.:

    Short answer is no, your not going to get a line items detailed break out on a quote/Estimate.  You may only see that if your dealing with an insurance claim, and then the totals will be high, which is probably what pricing the 2 companies you mentioned are using!  (ins #'s to get their final price)  The Est's you shared, ARE High!!!  And surprising you are correct on your own assumptions... $20 on the high end. :)  That is, if it is truly 1sty, Non-Steep, 25sq, Total ReDeck.

    Dan had a good suggestion (but reading his comments, I see why he doesn't do roofing anymore (lol)), to ask a local Supplier for a reference.  But, if you want to cya (cover your a*s), and require them to have insurance, long warranty (5yrs), etc... you won't get a "crew" but perhaps a good owner/operator.  "Crews" don't have their own insurance, generally.  And again, no line items so they won't be quoting you price per/sheet of plywood or osb, because it is ALL being installed!  (cedar shake shingles being removed, solid decking being installed) = a ReDeck job.   IF it already had decking, then you'd see a breakout of: $xxx per/sheet of decking replaced.

    @JD Martin :  Kind of curious, WHY would you use 4 different contractors for roofs?  Did each one close shop, or you were looking for the cheapest person each time? ... If your an Investor, your the type that "we" usually try to avoid for sure! lol  Nothing personal, but the Investors that we work with, know that WE are trustworthy, do a GREAT job, and we are very fair on pricing.  So why wouldn't they use us on other jobs!? :D

    Suggestion: On a total ReDeck, spend the little extra and get the OSB boards with the Radiant Barrier on the back of them! (like aluminum foil)  When newly built or situations like this, is the only time you get to do this!  And here in the South, we build or always think about ways to reduce or alleviate the Heat!  Maybe you don't have to worry about that so much up north.

    AND, when they strip off the cedar, you'll have the lathe boards up there (1x3's or 1x4 boards), most time the crews want to just move the few in place to catch the edge of the new decking, BUT go ahead and tell them remove all the extra ones!  So you'll leave the ones up there that need to be on the edges of the decking, about every 4ft, coming down the roof.  Do this Especially if your going to use the Radiant Barrier decking, as any surface of that stuff that is pressed up against something, I.e. the support lathe boards, is negated! (if pressed up against something, the R.Barrier doesn't hardly work)

    Sorry I/we aren't closer to help.  For sure, don't call anyone that you might hear on the Radio, see on TV, etc... There's a reason they have the money to spend on those expensive ad slots! :P  Message me directly if you have specific questions or that.

    Jerry  w/J's Roofing  Richardson, TX


     I didn't know they did OSB with a radiant barrier- I'm in Virginia and have never seen that ever. Sometimes people will spray silver oxide barrier after install. Is it just on OSB or do they do it on 1/2 CDX too?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dan White:

     I've only seen it on OSB, It's in Home Depot usually...

  • Member since 2022 · 142 posts · 61 votes
    3y

    They are ripping you off. Try to get someone just to quote you the labor. I just had a roof done and I paid 260 a square and bought the materials myself. Roofer gave me a list and I ordered directly from the lumbar yard. The reason they don't want to break it down is because they are adding a cost to the materials.  Go on Angislist and get more estimates.  Don't forget to verify directly with their insurance carrier to make sure the have workmans comp insurance and liability insurance.  

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sylvia H.:

    They are ripping you off. Try to get someone just to quote you the labor. I just had a roof done and I paid 260 a square and bought the materials myself. Roofer gave me a list and I ordered directly from the lumbar yard. The reason they don't want to break it down is because they are adding a cost to the materials.  Go on Angislist and get more estimates.  Don't forget to verify directly with their insurance carrier to make sure the have workmans comp insurance and liability insurance.  


    Common idea, but realize that a lot of good contractors will not let the customer buy materials...it's not just the mark-up, but liability/delivery/loading/etc.

    You're much more likely to get younger, less experienced, unlicensed/insured kinda guys...so if you go this direction you need to be SUPER careful....

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Daniel Lempa:

    I purchased a duplex in June in the South Jersey area to house hack ...

    Thank you.

    Hi Daniel,

    Here is a database of GAF Certified Roofers (always check reviews and references before hiring).

    There is more to the equation than just the plywood, for instance some areas require 3 (special type nails) per shingle and special underlayment to get the warranty.

    Meaning if Sol Stapledown does the work, the warranty might evaporate due to staples being used.

    GAF is a major shingle company, there are others and some of the Roofers may represent other brands also, due to price points and past customer preferences.

    Will these guys give you a price breakout..I don't know, but at least you have a list of Roofers to choose from.

    Snow is just around the corner.

    Good Luck!

    https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roofing-contractors

  • Member since 2022 · 142 posts · 61 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Sylvia H.:

    They are ripping you off. Try to get someone just to quote you the labor. I just had a roof done and I paid 260 a square and bought the materials myself. Roofer gave me a list and I ordered directly from the lumbar yard. The reason they don't want to break it down is because they are adding a cost to the materials.  Go on Angislist and get more estimates.  Don't forget to verify directly with their insurance carrier to make sure the have workmans comp insurance and liability insurance.  


    Common idea, but realize that a lot of good contractors will not let the customer buy materials...it's not just the mark-up, but liability/delivery/loading/etc.

    You're much more likely to get younger, less experienced, unlicensed/insured kinda guys...so if you go this direction you need to be SUPER careful....


     I do it all the time. My roofer has been in business for over 20 years. 

  • Rental Property Investor · santa cruz county, CA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    @Daniel Lempa My duplex is also in South Jersey and I just got my roofing and siding repaired by a very honest and decent contractor. Contact me directly and I'll share the info. I also have a roofing contact from my prior South Jersey property.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sylvia H.:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Sylvia H.:

    They are ripping you off. Try to get someone just to quote you the labor. I just had a roof done and I paid 260 a square and bought the materials myself. Roofer gave me a list and I ordered directly from the lumbar yard. The reason they don't want to break it down is because they are adding a cost to the materials.  Go on Angislist and get more estimates.  Don't forget to verify directly with their insurance carrier to make sure the have workmans comp insurance and liability insurance.  


    Common idea, but realize that a lot of good contractors will not let the customer buy materials...it's not just the mark-up, but liability/delivery/loading/etc.

    You're much more likely to get younger, less experienced, unlicensed/insured kinda guys...so if you go this direction you need to be SUPER careful....


     I do it all the time. My roofer has been in business for over 20 years. 


     Good for you, but that's not common. I'm trying to give the OP a heads-up.

  • Member since 2022 · 142 posts · 61 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Sylvia H.:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Sylvia H.:

    They are ripping you off. Try to get someone just to quote you the labor. I just had a roof done and I paid 260 a square and bought the materials myself. Roofer gave me a list and I ordered directly from the lumbar yard. The reason they don't want to break it down is because they are adding a cost to the materials.  Go on Angislist and get more estimates.  Don't forget to verify directly with their insurance carrier to make sure the have workmans comp insurance and liability insurance.  


    Common idea, but realize that a lot of good contractors will not let the customer buy materials...it's not just the mark-up, but liability/delivery/loading/etc.

    You're much more likely to get younger, less experienced, unlicensed/insured kinda guys...so if you go this direction you need to be SUPER careful....


     I do it all the time. My roofer has been in business for over 20 years. 


     Good for you, but that's not common. I'm trying to give the OP a heads-up.

    True just shows you have to ask around. 
  • Contractor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2022 · 265 posts · 146 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:
    Quote from @Daniel Lempa:

    I purchased a duplex in June in the South Jersey area to house hack ...

    Thank you.

    Hi Daniel,

    Here is a database of GAF Certified Roofers (always check reviews and references before hiring).

    There is more to the equation than just the plywood, for instance some areas require 3 (special type nails) per shingle and special underlayment to get the warranty.

    Meaning if Sol Stapledown does the work, the warranty might evaporate due to staples being used.

    GAF is a major shingle company, there are others and some of the Roofers may represent other brands also, due to price points and past customer preferences.

    Will these guys give you a price breakout..I don't know, but at least you have a list of Roofers to choose from.

    Snow is just around the corner.

    Good Luck!

    https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roofing-contractors


    LOL Scott, just FYI... GAF, like most other roofing manufacturers, have lists of "Partners" , but their true "Certified" Contractors are actually tested (somewhat) in "commercial" products, NOT generally shingles.  But, they've changed their terminology, so now even "partners" are called Certified Contractor with them.  JUST LIKE the BBB, most times, it is simply qualifying by having a business name for 1yr, they at times check for insurance, *you stroke a check for xxx amount for the year*, and then you are now a "Certified Contractor" with them!  (sad, but true of 95% of the programs out there!)

    And you have many facts mixed up, mostly commonly nailing... ALL shingles/brands require min 4 nails per shingle, where in stress areas (or where required) you have to use 6 per shingle.  GAF isn't considered the best, good yes but ... mostly they are well known.  Their partnership with Hm Depot has gotten them the wide acceptance.  But to those that don't know, Lowes and Hm Depot "switched" their brands many years ago ... Lowes carried GAF, and HD had O.C.! :P

    Again, search locally for the best "list" and go with longevity, warranty, and a balance of proposal vs costs.
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jerry V.:
    Quote from @Scott Mac:
    Quote from @Daniel Lempa:

    I purchased a duplex in June in the South Jersey area to house hack ...

    Thank you.

    Hi Daniel,

    Here is a database of GAF Certified Roofers (always check reviews and references before hiring)...

    Good Luck!

    https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roofing-contractors

     LOL Scott, just FYI... GAF, like most other roofing manufacturers, have lists of "Partners" , but their true "Certified" Contractors are actually tested (somewhat) in "commercial" products, NOT generally shingles.  But, they've changed their terminology, so now even "partners" are called Certified Contractor with them.  JUST LIKE the BBB, most times, it is simply qualifying by having a business name for 1yr, they at times check for insurance, *you stroke a check for xxx amount for the year*, and then you are now a "Certified Contractor" with them!  (sad, but true of 95% of the programs out there!)


    And you have many facts mixed up, mostly commonly nailing... ALL shingles/brands require min 4 nails per shingle, where in stress areas (or where required) you have to use 6 per shingle.  GAF isn't considered the best, good yes but ... mostly they are well known.  Their partnership with Hm Depot has gotten them the wide acceptance.  But to those that don't know, Lowes and Hm Depot "switched" their brands many years ago ... Lowes carried GAF, and HD had O.C.! :P

    Again, search locally for the best "list" and go with longevity, warranty, and a balance of proposal vs costs.

    Hi Jerry, 

    Thanks for the expert info. 

    Now I know "The Rest of the Story"!

    Good Luck!

    Another "The rest of the story": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-VnL4n8RM

  • Pitman, NJ · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Dan White:

    I don't think it is a materials breakdown like nails, shingles, felt, etc.

    I think the biggest question you have is if the price is fair...maybe.

    The cedar wood you talk about is cedar shake shingles? Or cedar planks for roof support?

    Disposing of cedar shakes are labor intensive and has high dump fees. If it is cedar planks for decking, you must replace everything with plywood to support new shingles. Again, labor intensive.

    I did roofing for 7 years and it is a pretty common request to breakdown into shingle install price and plywood install price...takes 5 minutes.

    The SOW will have tearoff and replace shingles (Price) this includes their materials, labor and profit included...not broken down, just a total.

    Plywood Replacement (Price) same as before, total price for materials, labor, and profit...not broken down, just a total.

    Chimney work (Price)

    Keep looking around.

    Thanks for the suggestions @Dan White! You're right, it's more about wanting to feel confident that I'm getting a fair price and that I'm not just being charged a 500% markup on materials. I've had that happen for small repairs for other items, so it gives me chills thinking that could be happening on a much larger scale. 

    Are you suggesting that it's more reasonable to ask for a total (which includes materials, labor, profit) for each "phase" of the project ? i.e. X amount for tearoff and re-decking, x amount for chimney, x amount for shingle replacement.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.