Bag of cash but no W2

Bag of cash but no W2

Contractor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hey all!  I'm new to the forums (first post), although I've been lurking for a minute.  I've been wanting to get some advice from people about my specific situation, but there's a lot so I'll try to keep it to the point;

In short, I'm wanting to "officially" start my real estate investing journey, making it my source of income - and I'm wanting to do house flipping as my strategy, at least initially.  I'm a carpenter / contractor by trade, and I've done a few major whole-house renovations of personal homes over the last decade or so.  So this is right in my wheelhouse, I'm just now trying to put together my plan on how to jump in and execute.  It's also worth mentioning that I already have a good relationship with a wholesaler in town who knows other good contacts, and I am able to use some of these contacts as good resources for general knowledge and learning how it all works.

I recently had to close my business of 9 years, and so instead of getting a W2 job or start some other "normal" business, I'd much rather prefer to have house flipping be my primary source of income. I closed my business about a year ago, and have been working on my current house renovation in the interim while I figure out what's next. I have a considerable amount of equity in the house (HCOL area), and after the renovations are complete we are looking to sell the house in order to use the proceeds to kick start the next venture (flipping). Since I don't have a W2 anymore, I can't qualify for any sort of equity loan on my current home so I don't see my home's equity as a means to do anything unless I sell. For ballpark numbers, we bought the home for $850k ($715k left on the mortgage), and once the renovation is complete we'd be looking to sell for about $1.5M. I have some previous business debts to payoff, so once all the dust has settled with realtor commissions and other closing costs, I'd have roughly $400k-500k of cash at my disposal. Also for reference, pretty typical SFH flip type properties in my market are about $300k - $400k price tag. In my ideal scenario, I would do some more entry level projects to start off while I learn the ins and outs, but my goal would be to eventually work on more luxury flips - larger scaled projects in more desirable neighborhoods (though fewer and farther between).

SOOO, I guess my question is "what would you do in my situation?"  I listen to a lot of podcasts and read a lot here on the forums, but it seems that most people start as a side hustle while keeping their W2 for a while.  I will essentially have a bag of cash but no W2 or desire to get a W2, so I'm likely going to go the hard-money route.  What's the best way to use the cash on hand?  Anyone else out there started out flipping by jumping into the deep end?  

Thanks in advance and I'm open to any thoughts / advice / new perspectives!

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
1y

Welcome to the forums! Knowing the Fort Collins market and it's price points a little bit, it doesn't sound like you're capitalized quite enough to get started flipping, especially when factoring in risk (properties in the $300-400k range will be high risk, not good locations). However you have capital and experience which would be attractive to the right money partner. I'd find a partner who is well capitalized and looking for a more passive role in the business. You bring the experience and a smaller percentage of the capital, they bring the rest of the capital. This would also allow you to bump up your price point a bit in order to flip in better locations which will have less risk. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Mitch Holmes:

    Hey all!  I'm new to the forums (first post), although I've been lurking for a minute.  I've been wanting to get some advice from people about my specific situation, but there's a lot so I'll try to keep it to the point;

    In short, I'm wanting to "officially" start my real estate investing journey, making it my source of income - and I'm wanting to do house flipping as my strategy, at least initially.  I'm a carpenter / contractor by trade, and I've done a few major whole-house renovations of personal homes over the last decade or so.  So this is right in my wheelhouse, I'm just now trying to put together my plan on how to jump in and execute.  It's also worth mentioning that I already have a good relationship with a wholesaler in town who knows other good contacts, and I am able to use some of these contacts as good resources for general knowledge and learning how it all works.

    I recently had to close my business of 9 years, and so instead of getting a W2 job or start some other "normal" business, I'd much rather prefer to have house flipping be my primary source of income. I closed my business about a year ago, and have been working on my current house renovation in the interim while I figure out what's next. I have a considerable amount of equity in the house (HCOL area), and after the renovations are complete we are looking to sell the house in order to use the proceeds to kick start the next venture (flipping). Since I don't have a W2 anymore, I can't qualify for any sort of equity loan on my current home so I don't see my home's equity as a means to do anything unless I sell. For ballpark numbers, we bought the home for $850k ($715k left on the mortgage), and once the renovation is complete we'd be looking to sell for about $1.5M. I have some previous business debts to payoff, so once all the dust has settled with realtor commissions and other closing costs, I'd have roughly $400k-500k of cash at my disposal. Also for reference, pretty typical SFH flip type properties in my market are about $300k - $400k price tag. In my ideal scenario, I would do some more entry level projects to start off while I learn the ins and outs, but my goal would be to eventually work on more luxury flips - larger scaled projects in more desirable neighborhoods (though fewer and farther between).

    SOOO, I guess my question is "what would you do in my situation?"  I listen to a lot of podcasts and read a lot here on the forums, but it seems that most people start as a side hustle while keeping their W2 for a while.  I will essentially have a bag of cash but no W2 or desire to get a W2, so I'm likely going to go the hard-money route.  What's the best way to use the cash on hand?  Anyone else out there started out flipping by jumping into the deep end?  

    Thanks in advance and I'm open to any thoughts / advice / new perspectives!


     I would use the cash to do the flips. You may get a hard money lender to lend as well but you will probably have trouble getting traditional financing for acquisition or if you decide to hold on to the assets. I would start with all cash and then seek private lending money. 

    If you have never done this as a full time business I will throw caution to the wind it is not as easy or as profitable as online forums make it out to be, and if you need money for living this probably is not going to sustain your lifestyle for the first several years. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I would flip as well, as Chris mentioned. The hard money route is good, and that is something that I would for sure try to see what the best numbers from the lenders you can get right now. The one piece of advise I would give to you from going through the the hype of 2020, 2021, and 2022 till rates went up.... Then the market leveling off heavily come 2023 and 2024 compared to a market like 2021.. Have more reserves that you think you need and also be prepared to hold a property for longer than you may think as well. There are ups and downs, and as you have been in business for 9 years till you closed it, there are unexpected turns, or expenses that you really do not see around the corner. I have seen this first hand with my own flips to my client's that have been in the business for 25 years flipping. 

    Go flip, run the numbers and even partner with someone, a mentor if need be to really get you started on the right path to success! 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Zachary DealPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2023 · 465 posts · 425 votes
    1y

    Yes, you can use the cash + hard money loans to complete the flips that you're looking at. Most hard money lenders are going to require 10 -20% down payment and then require you fund bring 10 - 20% of the rehab budget depending on your experience flipping (in your name/LLC you own), property ARV, etc. With the funds you listed and property size you should be able to comfortably have 2 even 3 projects going at once (depending on what you're up for), especially after you sell the current house you are renovating.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Starting out hard money is not a bad thing, will get you going. I would leave yourself a lot of cushion regarding savings. I would encourage getting a job or something to be your primary income. Will be less stressful and give you time to get going. Doesn't have to be a lot of hours but gives you consistent income as you flip(would be 60/90+ days till you see a return). I would also network, gives you experience and wisdom for flipping in the area. The good thing is you have cushion but still live frugal and cheap so you can throw everything at flipping. 

  • Contractor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Regarding the numbers, that's what I'm wondering about...  Initially would it be best to use my own money for the rehab, and just get the hard money loan for the property purchase?  It would save interest and the cash I have on hand would be plenty even for a hefty rehab + a year or so of living expenses and contingency.  OR would it be better to hold onto as much cash as I can and try to get a loan for the property + rehab?  Just trying to find the right balance of what is a safer way to approach it on my first deal.

  • Contractor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Caleb Brown:

    Starting out hard money is not a bad thing, will get you going. I would leave yourself a lot of cushion regarding savings. I would encourage getting a job or something to be your primary income. Will be less stressful and give you time to get going. Doesn't have to be a lot of hours but gives you consistent income as you flip(would be 60/90+ days till you see a return). I would also network, gives you experience and wisdom for flipping in the area. The good thing is you have cushion but still live frugal and cheap so you can throw everything at flipping. 


     I agree with leaving a lot of cushion (I plan to), but what I'm not keen on is getting a W2.  In my mind it makes more sense to be managing the project to keep it moving along, while doing a portion of the work myself to keep costs down.  I fully expect several months until I see any return especially in this market, so I'm not afraid to tie up cash in that way.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Mitch Holmes With $400K-$500K in cash and your contracting experience, start with smaller flips in the $300K-$400K range to minimize risk and build experience. Use hard money loans to finance most of the purchase price, preserving your cash for down payments, renovations, and reserves, allowing you to handle multiple projects. Focus on simple, predictable renovations and strengthen your network with wholesalers, agents, and contractors. Document successes to build credibility with lenders for future scaling. Gradually transition to larger, higher-end projects as you gain confidence and expertise, balancing risk and reward. You also qualify as REPS, so your flipping income could be tax-free if you really strategize well.

    This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 653 votes
    1y

    So, 400k - 500k sounds like lots of money but if you wanna operate in the 300k+ entry point it get can swallowed up quick.

    One strategy I'd try is to be a buyer at the auctions, win a bid on a good house, close on it in cash (you should be a great deal under market value) and then get into a delayed purchase bridge loan product which will cash you out a certain percentage of the purchase and supply the rehab funds.  So you'll recoup 80% - 85% of your cash back and now be in a bridge loan on the property for 12 months.  Fix it up as quick as possible and then either refi or sell.  You only wanna be in the bridge loan for 6 months tops.

    If properties are going for 300k on MLS and in wholesale markets then at the auctions you should be able to get the same kind of house for 200k -250k, plus you circumvented the entire open negotiations that take place on MLS and with wholesalers. Cause any great deal you find in those channels, be certain dozens of other investors are also stumbling upon it, but that's what I would do if I wanted to stay in the home market and had that type of capital.

    Or, find a market where you can get into a house for 90k - 110k and then you're in a market where you make need 30k - 40k in capital to see it through to the exit.

  • Financial Advisor · FL · Member since 2024 · 446 posts · 102 votes
    1y

    A few tips: maintain a solid credit score, organize your financials (especially your proof of funds), and be ready to show that you have a solid plan for your investments. Additionally, make sure the deal itself is strong.

    Best regards, Stevan

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    Welcome to the forums! Knowing the Fort Collins market and it's price points a little bit, it doesn't sound like you're capitalized quite enough to get started flipping, especially when factoring in risk (properties in the $300-400k range will be high risk, not good locations). However you have capital and experience which would be attractive to the right money partner. I'd find a partner who is well capitalized and looking for a more passive role in the business. You bring the experience and a smaller percentage of the capital, they bring the rest of the capital. This would also allow you to bump up your price point a bit in order to flip in better locations which will have less risk. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.