Window in Shower. What would you do?

Window in Shower. What would you do?

Real Estate Broker · Burlington, NC · Member since 2013 · 95 posts · 52 votes

I have a foreclosure that I am seriously considering buying for a rental. My concern is the bathroom has a window in the shower.  I was planning on gutting the bathroom and doing a complete remodel.  I thought I could put in a glass block window during the remodel.  You can see from the pic that there is water damage around the window(wood frame with a vinyl replacement window) plus who knows where else. I don't have any houses with a window in the shower so I am asking for input for those who have experience with these.

Thanks!

16Reply
869 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 285 votes
12y

I replaced an old aluminum window with glass block. I had no prior experience and it went well. HD sells everything you need. I also replace the wood trim with composite trim. That was you don't get the rottting. 

See this reply in the discussion

127 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 79 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    Thanks all for this thread.  I've already fixed one house by removing two windows in the bathroom and having the house resided.  I have a second house with a window in the bath and a tub surround in it. I actually didn't notice the window was still there until after I bought it.  I'm due to remodel it in 2019.  The height is high enough that glass block looks to be the best solution.

    Mark

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Thank you guys so much for this thread. Im just a new home buyer with a window in my shower. I don't mind keeping the window...but the tile needs to go lol it looks so dirty to me and so hard to clean. Ive never had tile before now and i hate it. Its 4x4 little off white blocks with white grout that has not been kept well and is stained and chipped in areas. When we bought it my plan was just to buy a cheap insert and replace the entire thing.  Now finding one with a window insert seems impossible. Is there another cheaper flat material i can use instead of fiberglass inserts? This white grout that is stained just isnt going to do it.. and im not the type to squeegee my shower with 2 teens and a husband or id just try to fix it. I dont want to deal with any grout to clean.  Any ideas? Weve had a lot of set backs from issues the seller didnt disclose or else id just have one customed made... instead putting in a french drain in and replacing our AC/heat came first. Any help would be great! Thanks!

    Brittany

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Windows in showers are not that uncommon.  Wood frames will not hold up.   The window really isn't the problem as much as the trim work.  Just putting in a glass block window will still require some finish work where you pull off the moldings. 

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    If you replace the window make sure the glass is tempered glass.  

  • Urbana, IL · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    I'm doing my first SFH house hack and there's a 21" x 46" window in the shower that would be used by the tenants. My question is whether it would be more cost effective to remove and seal up the window or to replace it with a smaller glass block window? I appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 239 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    You can also get frosted windows. I put that in one of our bathrooms that has a window. It was the same cost as a normal window and I think it looked more "modern" than the glass block look. But that's just a personal taste question. For rentals I go for broad appeal and appeal towards younger crowds. 

    The other idea might be one of those frosted adhesives. I don't know if they stand up well in humidity but they're SUPER cheap at HomeDepot, maybe $10 would be sufficient for that window size. Worth looking into though if you're considering replacing the whole window. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    7y
    @Bill Sargeson keep the window to meet code. Trim with tile or composite trim..remove the Rotted stuff or maybe three coats of primer then tile dpendingonwhat you’ve got. the window sill MUST slope into the shower. Spray can or sticky film glass frosting.
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Bill Sargeson I have done both covering the window up and replacing with wood, as well replacing the window with glass block.

    I personally think its cheaper, and looks better to do the glass block option.

  • Ridgewood, NY · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Bill Sargeson what is the concern with having a window in the shower? Just trying to get educated. Thank you

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 181 posts · 242 votes
    7y

    @Gary Hert I think your idea is the best bang for your buck. I am assuming that the glass isn't see through right? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Spokane, WA · Member since 2013 · 123 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    @Bill Sargeson I had a similar situation on one of my units. Make sure the gaps are caulked, sill slopes, everything is painted with a nice glossy finish and the shower head won't aim directly at the window. I haven't had any problems.

  • Investor · Montreal, QC · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    When I have run into this issue, it usually comes down to a code compliance issue.  Bathroom always need a source of ventilation for obvious reasons.  Humidity, odors evacuation.  You either need a window or an exhaust fan, not usually both.  In many cases the light source was an added bonus but today, unless the bathroom is really designed appropriately for having a window, it is most often is misplaced in a shower/tub set up.  Better to remove it, insulate and seal up the wall and install a good fan.  Less issues with mold, mildew and maintenance over the long haul.  I would get rid of it as long as you have the fan option available without a huge hassle. 

  • Eric WilkinsonPro Member
    Chelsea, MI · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 52 votes
    7y

    @Scott H. I realize your post was from a year ago, but I am dealing with a similar situation and liked your solution. Did the small window that you placed in middle of glass block allow you to meet the requirement for ventilation without having to add a fan?

    The rental I have has a masonry exterior which is leading me to use glass block, but I was trying to avoid any more expense with a fan. Your solution looks great and gives you the option to get fresh air in there.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I think the remodel is the best option.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    We had a window like this,  first couple of years we put a towel bar over it and  cut a little shower curtain to hang from it. Then when we replace the window we did it with a vinyl FROSTED glass window, interior trim was plastic molding. It was $6.00 extra to get the window with frosted glass. We got a regular shower surround and cut to fit around the window.

     The glass block is nice but we needed the ventilation. Window  is a crank out casement so we get lots of ventilation and we didn't spend a lot on it because the cost is cheaper then glass block.  There are a lot more water collection spots on a double hung then the casement.  We also have a fan.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Paia, HI · Member since 2016 · 479 posts · 311 votes
    7y

    I have a window in my shower and love it. What's the problem??

  • Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2010 · 127 posts · 76 votes
    7y

    We've seen this in a few of our remodels. I like to just frame in a smaller window that's higher. Here's a pic of an example finished product. Originally this window extended down far enough to collect water and even if it's well-maintained it's just a problem waiting to happen: rot, mold, etc. The new window can be opened for ventilation/air-flow, but there is a fan in this bathroom as well. 

  • Gina SternPro Member
    Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 159 votes
    7y

    If I'm being honest the window seems to provide some much needed light to the bathroom. Sealing it of would cut out that beautiful natural light from the rest of the house. Just repurpose the window to make it more modern and look cleaner. If privacy is an issue you could get a fogged window so no one can see in and you still retain the natural light which will make the place feel more open.

  • Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    We got some plastic static stick on stuff for a few windows. Home Depot has it. It's inexpensive and makes it so you get light, but can't see right through it.

    We did it to diffuse bright sunlight, but would work for this too. Also available in stained glass like patterns.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bill Sargeson:

    I have a foreclosure that I am seriously considering buying for a rental. My concern is the bathroom has a window in the shower.  I was planning on gutting the bathroom and doing a complete remodel.  I thought I could put in a glass block window during the remodel.  You can see from the pic that there is water damage around the window(wood frame with a vinyl replacement window) plus who knows where else. I don't have any houses with a window in the shower so I am asking for input for those who have experience with these.

    Thanks!

     Glass block with a vent opening is what i would do Or a typical bathroom privacy window that fits the opening. The room wasn't built with a vent exhaust system so an opening for fresh air is a must. 

  • Lender · Wildwood Crest, NJ · Member since 2017 · 317 posts · 56 votes
    7y

    The glass block is a great solution to the problem

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Bridges - Sorry to resurrect here...but I had never heard of a being able to re-glaze a tub until your comment. 

    Will that work with vintage 70s yellow tile/tub as a possible way to inexpensively update from the original from yellow to white?  Is there any downside on the durability of a re-glaze?

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 332 votes
    7y

    I have not dealt with this situation, but if I were you i would definitely NOT use glass blocks. having a window that opens will help with venting out the moisture which helps a lot with molds.  I had 2 criteria when i was buying my primary resident and one was that the bathroom had a window.   Just my personal opinion. 

  • Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Glass block would be good. There's no need to have a working window there, but the light is a plus for most people

  • Nashville · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    I'll do glass block. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.