Best Vehicle for DIY Landlord

Best Vehicle for DIY Landlord

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 6 votes

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for a new vehicle that I can use for construction projects, and also outdoor activities in Minnesota-- hunting, fishing, hauling kayaks..

For my business, I usually redo the unit once I buy it, and always find myself needing to carry more tools than my little car will allow!

I'm curious what you use?

- Econoline Van?

- SUV?

- Pickup? 

- Old School VW Van

- 1980's or 90's model Toyota Landcruiser

- Suburu Outback-- yes, lots of negative stereotypes, but such a practical vehicle ;-)

0Reply
473 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Waconia, MN · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 104 votes
12y
See this reply in the discussion

92 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2013 · 877 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Tom Henderson welcome to BiggerPockets Tom. Pick up truck would be the way to coming from a carpenter.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I've put over 100k miles on my Toyota Tundra PU, and still like it a lot.  

    What are the negative stereotypes on the Outback?

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Great feedback already. Thanks much guys.

    One of my best friends drives an Outback.. I usually call him Captain planet as he is pretty passionate about environmental issues.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I have a Hylander but totally wish we had a cheap truck. 

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    What not to get.... 1976 Orange Ford Econoline Panel Van with Orange/Red shag carpet and a Fred Flintstone doll on the dash board!  That's what we had for years..... my husband still misses it!

    Our Subaru Legacy Station Wagon works well for us.  When we need to haul big materials we borrow our neighbors small pickup truck.  We are into landlording, not too much rehabbing.  When we hire the trades, they have their own vehicles to haul what they need.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2012 · 155 posts · 41 votes
    12y

    Kind of an old thread but anyways I had a Toyota Tacoma that I liked.  I find my 4runner more useful all around now honestly.  Rear window rolling down makes it work great.  It hauls doors and 2x4s and such easier than the Tacoma.  I had a trailer with both vehicles.  I find I use the trailer a bit more often but not that much than before with the pickup.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    I find a van works well , with a trailer , the van is my rolling tool box , I leave the tools in it , ladders on top , if I need materials that dont fit in it , or need to make a landfill run I take the trailer , or grab the pick up .

  • Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2014 · 68 posts · 24 votes
    12y

    The cheapest, most efficient and versatile is a mini van with all the rear seats out.  It holds a ton of tools and supplies under lock and key and has high roof space like an SUV.  All while knocking down high 20's in mpg due to better aerodynamics.  My college boss was a DIY real estate investor in philly and swore by them.

  • Wholesaler · Lenoir, NC · Member since 2013 · 297 posts · 127 votes
    12y

    I purchased a step van back in August. I love being able to keep my tools in the vehicle at all times and having room for anything else. I have had tools, vanities, 20sq of shingles all at the same time. It was not super expensive either. I bought it off of ebay for $4,500 with 72,000 miles. Here 

    is a picture.

  • Wholesaler · Lenoir, NC · Member since 2013 · 297 posts · 127 votes
    12y
  • Wholesaler · Lenoir, NC · Member since 2013 · 297 posts · 127 votes
    12y
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Tom Henderson:

    Hello Everyone!

    I'm curious what you use?

    - Pickup? 

    - Old School VW Van

    How about a little of each:

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    12y

    I use an old ford explorer with no back seats and homemade utility trailer

  • Investor · Waconia, MN · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 104 votes
    12y
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Surprised no one mention the Sprinter Van, best van on the road today, you'll be waiting for the 4X4 version, but conversions are available.

    You didn't mention the price range!

    Judging from your list, get a Ford F-150 XLT, extended cab 4x4. From a 99 up, depending on budget, can't go wrong with the most popular truck on the road. An open ladder rack is a good way to go, ladders or kayaks.

    Are you going to camp in your vehicle or outside it? Inside, get a van, the old Astro AWD are excellent off road, you can easily modify with a switch for true 4x4.

    Consider the most use and traffic, full size panel vans or utility trucks gets old driving in traffic, limited visibility, parking lots can be a pain, a window van is much better, use see through curtains for privacy/visibility.

    Next inside is a camper shell on the pickup. Build a platform in the bed, tools slide in underneath, upper area for camping or material hauling.

    Security, can you leave power tools in clear view in the neighborhood or should they be locked up out of sight? Canvas covered ladder rack keeps eyes off the storage and makes a good tent platform in the woods.

    Used utility vans even with racks are cheap, an old telephone or cable truck, just for properties as your company truck or personal, depreciate with mileage and run the wheels off and just replace it. Then you can go with a nicer whatever that looks better under kayaks going down the road.  

    I've done some "Expedition" travels, on and off road, consider the terrain, The Outback and Forrester (have a Forrester) are good for mild off road, even rougher than some forest roads, if you have deeper ruts, mud ponds or such, get a truck. All SUVs are not the same, many are mall crawlers for speed bumps (LOL). Land Cruiser is excellent,  Toyota 4Runner, the Pathfinder is great, so is a Montero. The G Wagon is also great, not as roomy as the others. Had all of them, used and sold all of them. I'd rather have a truck for trucking.      

    Consider a good utility trailer for mowers. If you go with a van or PU with a camper top, you won't want to haul a refrigerator or stove, so use a trailer. I think a trailer is more handy for those once in awhile jobs. It will allow you to go smaller, like the Subby as a daily driver.

    A mention to the Isuzu F series, cab over, 4 or 6 diesels, good set up, take off the duly set up for off road as rocks get stuck between tires. Various beds and boxes, easy driving but limited interior, function not fancy.   

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    Honda Element. I bought one in 2003 and it has a ton of miles on it - most between my house and Home Depot. Plastic interior could almost be hosed out if necessary. I can fit 6 sheets of drywall in the back with the seats out. 

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
    12y

    rent menards truck $20 for 75 minutes

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Real landlords drive pick up trucks. I have a Toyota Tacoma. Over 150K miles on it and I take it off roading to some of my favorite fly fishing and camping places all over the eastern Sierras. I've driven it from California to Maine round trip, all over California, Utah, Arizona and Nevada. I've put gas, oil, tires, brakes, windshield wipers, air filters and 2 new headlight bulbs in it. Never any other problems. It's my second one and when this one dies, which I suspect won't be any time soon since my buddy has one with over 500K miles on it, I'll be getting another. I have a friend on his second Ford already and mine is still going strong. Best truck I've ever driven.

  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 57 votes
    12y

    land cruisers are awesome, but trucks are nice too

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    11y

    I have the unsexy but extremely practical Dodge Sport Caravan. Way more room inside than most SUV's and a trailer hitch for when it gets serious like moving appliances. Even with the benches inside (sometimes gotta do the carpool) I can lay them down and slide in room doors. Benches out I've moved an entire small kitchen of cabinets, a 60 gal compressor with two 30 gal hot water heaters, and other sizeable loads. I have a ramp for moving my snowblower or bigass generator. 10 foot pipes or moldings can fit diagonally, and I have a roof rack for larger loads, or my kayaks and canoe.

    It's a 2001 I bought in 2004 with 60k for $7700. Similar Japanese minivans were twice that.

    Pickup trucks are less awesome when you can't lock up what's in there or it rains. If you need a cap for it, you might as well have minivan.

  • Real Estate Investor · Palmer, AK · Member since 2008 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    I've had a Toyota Tundra for the last 8 years and been extremely happy with it.  150k miles and no issues.  I bought a utility shell that has a rack on top off of Craigslist for $400.  Really handy for ladders and lumber.  Also does double duty as a great hunting and fishing rig!

  • Professional · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    My personal choice was the F150...but some combination of a primary vehicle and supplement with a choice of trailor that suits the material being transported is recommended.  A covered trailor can be used as a job site material and tool storeage depending on the security of the area being worked.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Old Toyota trucks! $3000 they run forever and for me it doubles as my Mexico vehicle since I wanna look like a nobody with nothing while I'm there. 

    All of my tenants have nicer looking vehicles than me, I like it that way. 

    This one just got rear ended, I was given $4200 and kept the truck. $500 for a bumper and fees and I have a free beater truck. Can't lose with a Toyota Truck!

  • Investor · South Fl · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Hi Tom,

    I would look for a used pickup truck in good condition. Definitely don't buy new. I have a pickup truck that has been great to me. It gives me the option to put almost anything in the bed & you can tow rental equipment since you're a DIY Landlord.  

    Also, ensure that it's a 4x4 seeing that your located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Keep luxury options at a minimum & make certain you justify the need for a crew cab truck vs a ext. cab. I have a ext. cab & have not complaints. Something else to think about is where would you park this vehicle. Remember if you live in a community with a HOA; most don't want anything is or that looks commercial.

    Good luck with your search...

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
    11y

    Hey @Tom Henderson what about a Suburban or a Sequoia?

    My handyman drives around with a Sub. Will have plenty of pulling power and room, but will kill you on gas. You don't have to worry about your stuff walking off or the elements.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.