The diary of a 2nd flip

The diary of a 2nd flip

Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes

I feel guilty of not being very active on Bp lately. so this post will hopefully motivate me to become more active in the forum

I recently bought an old house that will need lot of clean up and work. i paid 78k including closing cost for this and arv is around 125k. Let see if i can pull out a profit on this to post it in the success story forum.

Have anyone here ever work with an awkward old floor plan like this? Do i need to replace the tile roof as well? Can I power wash it? I never work with tile roof before. It also have an awkward master bath with the tub in the middle with no shower

Here are some pictures. any suggestion is welcome! I will post more picture and video as the project progress

4Reply
141 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 902 votes
12y
Originally posted by @Arlen Chou:

Hey @Huy N. , is that a patch of dirt area under the stairs?  I have never seen anything like that before.  What are planning on doing with that? 

 Holy hell, you're right! That's umm...custom! Yeah, that's it, custom. Not weird at all.

See this reply in the discussion

68 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    Hi Huy,

    Good job on the post. Hope everything works out with the flip if not refinance(if possible) and rent it. I'm an investor in the Houston area and fully understand that good deals are extremely hard to find. Keep us updated on the project and let me know if I can help with anything. 

  • Doug McLeodPro Member
    Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 205 votes
    11y

    @Huy N. 

    I looked at this property and seriously considered making it my first flip, but I had enough on my plate and the numbers were  tight.  Really curious to see how it turns out. I hope the lot next door and the proximity to the park do not make it too difficult to sell.  The floor downstairs and the master bath layout made this a very unique property. I hope it turns out well for you. 

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    @Doug McLeod 

    You are right on the spot Doug. If i don't consider the 2nd option of owning this one as a rental, I wouldn't pull the trigger either. There is lot of risk when you rehab older house, never actually know that you will face until you start the work.

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 147 posts · 32 votes
    11y

    Looking good @Huy N. . What is your timeline to finish the project?

  • Investor · Woodstown, NJ · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 43 votes
    11y

    @Huy N. I really appreciate you creating this thread. As long as you keep your positive attitude you I think you will find continued success, its all about the silver linings.

    This thread serves as a great resource for investors as well as fantastic entertainment. I think the idea of buy and hold as a secondary exit strategy makes this deal much more forgiving.

    How did you finance this deal?

    Looking forward to updates

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    @Andres Jaramillo , 

    we r looking to get it on the market in the next 2 weeks. Everything is almost finish but there is a back order on the vintage bath tub. unlucky me. The tub set back  the whole project for one week. I don't think i can do an open house with out a tub in the master bath.

    @Jon Lafferty ,

    I have a commercial credit line with a local bank. using my rentals as collateral. Let me know if you need reference

    Here is the picture for today. Siding repair is done. cost me 800$ in material alone...

  • Queens NY, NY · Member since 2013 · 467 posts · 107 votes
    11y

    @Huy N....love the pics, project and the info provided. The numbers are quite tight but i guess as a back you plan you can hold it as a rental. I like how you are building a relationship with your contractor and his team.

    Good luck on the sale!!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    I decided to save money not painting the whole house orange but only the trim. what do you think? I think the American flag fit right in as well.

    Before

  • Frederick, MD · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Wow! Nice job. I'm amazed a 2000 sq ft house that looks so unique will sell for so little - but I'm used to DC prices anyways.

    I, and I think a lot of others, are really really interested in seeing your cost list. When do you think you could have it up? I'm particularly curious because I just finished my first flip on a similar old house and just listed it - and boy oh BOY did we spend a lot more than what we thought. 40k turned into 60k pretty easily. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Elkhart, IN · Member since 2014 · 197 posts · 41 votes
    11y

    Great thread. I think turning for a low profit isn't a bad thing, but a tight budget from the start would be concerning if you didn't have a hold in the plans also. Keep us posted

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    @Michael Marcoux 

    Yea, This house is very unique. I am hoping to sell it for more that i anticipated. There are already plenty people came and ask when it this for sale or lease already. I'm not even advertise yet. 

    Thanks @Terri Lewis I'm planing for an open house this weekend. Let see how it will turn out.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    So the house is supposed to be on the market today already. However, the vendor vintagetub.com backordered me on the supply line TWO time, 1st they told me it will be in last week. THIS MORNING, they told me it will be in NEXT week. 

    Since the vintage tub will be the main selling point of the house. I can't list the house up with out the tub completed. Their mistake is costing me one week of holding cost and they refused to give me discount. The tub itself also arrived damaged and my contractor had to repair it since there is no time to ship back and get replacement. they will get a one star review on Google very soon

    https://www.vintagetub.com/asp/product_detail.asp?...

    Lesson learned again unfortunately: cheap is not always the best, and you WILL get what you pay for. I should have gone with a local vintage tub vendor and pay 600$ extra and have showing today already.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    Alrite, instead of complaining and wining about the delay bathtub part that suppose to come today. let's cheer up the day with some after pictures

    My gf and I

  • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
    11y

    Hey How's the budget going as far as expenses?

    First hand, that looks like a small repair number at $25k

    But, it also looks like a newer house.

    Man I wish I could buy something for under 80k (do a little rehab) and have it rent for $1300 

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    I just talk with my Contractor this morning, he hasn't have time to calculate the bill yet, but Sum up everything i think i will spend about $34000 Total for the house. that's everything including gas, lunch on weekend for the guys, etc.... That's 9000$ over what i estimated.

    This is actually a 40 years old house. it's not so new. If i sell this for 125k i will i will get 10000$ out of it the most. I might just keep this as a rental.

  • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
    11y

    For that much square footage/ 40 yo house, and looking that great Before/After you should be really proud of your work and keeping it all under $34k

  • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
    11y

    And YES I think you should keep it as a rental.  Especially if you're young now 

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Hi Huy,

    I have similar numbers to yours. My first flip now turned rental (just have it contracted for $1350/mo this Nov 1) is a 40 yo house, 1562 sqft. New lifetime roof, new tile flooring, brand new kitchen & baths (all with granite counters), new insulation, new paint, plus some other minor touches (siding, garage doors, landscaping, etc). Cost me 34.5K (could have been lower, about 3-4K is my mistake as first time rehabber).

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    Good to hear that @Vivian D. I will try my best to sell it though. i'm going over there now to make sure everything is complete before hitting the submit button on the MLS...

  • Accountant · Collegeville, PA · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    Great job on the rehab Huy! Did you use a general contractor or did you sub everything out?

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @Huy, I am very new to the site and I love what you doing to the place! I wanted to ask if you had a good granite guy in Houston? I have been calling around on Craigslist and they have giving me $40 per sqft installed... Does anybody know of better pricing than that in houston?

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 110 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    @Quoc Nguyen

    Have you called these guys? Hope I am not violating BP rules...

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    we must be in the same area. I saw that sign EVERY where...

    so..after the all the drama on the tub. i finally get everything sorted out today and the house is on the market now

    http://search.har.com/engine/6010-Gallant-Forest-D...

    Here is some bonus picture that is not on the listing. I am having grief with this bathtub. Installing a vintage bathtub is not an easy thing to do...you have to redo the plumbing beneath and that is a nightmare. I don't think I or my contractor want to mess with it again.

    The moment i put the yard down i have two showing already. they all sold on the tub..i hope it will pay off..

  • bennett, CO · Member since 2014 · 225 posts · 122 votes
    11y

    You done good!

  • bennett, CO · Member since 2014 · 225 posts · 122 votes
    11y

    Just looking at the picture of you in the tub.  As a full-time nudist I cannot help but say HUY, YOURE OVERDRESSED!"  great job though!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.