Air in Boiler - Permanent Fix

Air in Boiler - Permanent Fix

Real Estate Investor · Point Pleasant Beach, NJ · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 52 votes

Hi BP!

I have a hot water gas boiler heating system that causes me problems every winter.  About once a month I get a phone call that the heat isn't working correctly, not reaching the desired temperature.  My solution so far is to:

1.  Drive out to the property

2.  Purge the return water line to the boiler until all the air bubbles and pockets are out

3.  Fire up the boiler and make sure the pressure and temperatures are correct

This always works, however it is a temporary solution.  Because the next month I'm back doing the same thing.  I've talked with plumbers who say that the air in the system is the problem and what I'm doing is correct.  But there has to be a more permanent solution, has anybody experienced this before?

Thanks,

Mike

0Reply
140 views

Most Popular Reply

Philly Burbs, PA · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 133 votes
11y

Make sure the expansion tank is hooked up correctly. There should be a specific port on the boiler for it. 

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Assett Retrieval Specialist · Rowley, IA · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    If the system has worked well in the past and you've just recently developed a couple leaks, I wouldn't get too carried away changing component configurations around. Things may have deviated from mfg design criteria for a reason. If you know for sure that Harry Homeowner has made changes to the system, I'd be more worried.No way to know for sure but if it worked before there is no real reason to change it. Just fix the leaks, install new fittings and devices where the corrosion is and move on. And insulate the pipes. If the system has problems after, or there is more reason to change the piping configuration do it then.

    Just to add a little more here, If you do have make up water continueing to fill the system after your at full pressure, You might want to make sure the pressure regulator on the fill line is closing fully. Could be some debris holding it open a bit

  • Real Estate Investor · Point Pleasant Beach, NJ · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Roy N. 

    @Shawn M.  To answer your questions: Yes. Yes. Baseboard.Seems like everyone here loves the Spirovent.

    @Antonio Marte  Yes, I have an auto fill.Pressure is usually around 20psi.2-story residence, this unit services the 2nd floor.  Thanks for the spirovent reco.

    @Joe Cummings  This problem arises every winter when it gets really cold outside and the boiler gets heavy usage.The pressure is usually stable around 20psi.No unusual condensation.

    Thanks @Michael Lovell  for the helpful diagram and advice.Based on everyone’s feedback I’ll be getting a spirovent installed.

    You get what you pay for @Darren Sager. The installers were the cheapest quote at the time and I’m paying for it now.I agree with the compression fittings vs. sweating comment – seems lazy. Great pics of the bleeders on the runs of the system, I’ll inspect this next week when I get back to the property.

    Thanks @Jeremy Tillotson ! I appreciate the advice.

    Great advice @Scott Justason  .  I’ll take care of the low hanging fruit first before I go crazy!

    Thank you everyone, again, for your feedback!  I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

  • Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes
    11y
    Is the pump located on the return side of the boiler?  Pumping TO the boiler?

    If so;  this is wrong - the pump needs to be on the supply side - pumping AWAY from the boiler.

    If the boiler contains an air scoop - Burnham or Weil McLain  - that connection needs to be piped directly to the expansion tank.  An in-line air scoop / air separator can be added in the discharge line leaving the boiler.     

    Where is the automatic water feeder connected?  

    Is there ANY sign of leakage anywhere near the pump?

    stephen
    ----------------------




    The air separation need Originally posted by @Michael Germinario:

    Hi BP!

    I have a hot water gas boiler heating system that causes me problems every winter.  About once a month I get a phone call that the heat isn't working correctly, not reaching the desired temperature.  My solution so far is to:

    1.  Drive out to the property

    2.  Purge the return water line to the boiler until all the air bubbles and pockets are out

    3.  Fire up the boiler and make sure the pressure and temperatures are correct

    This always works, however it is a temporary solution.  Because the next month I'm back doing the same thing.  I've talked with plumbers who say that the air in the system is the problem and what I'm doing is correct.  But there has to be a more permanent solution, has anybody experienced this before?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Hi,

    What would be a fair price to replace an expansion tank and add a Spirovent?  My boiler is leaking water and the expansion tank is full when I knock on it.  I checked and my current install does not have an automatic air bleed setup.

    Thanks,
    Sonny

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.