What color/sheen paint do you use in closets

What color/sheen paint do you use in closets

Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes

For all those DIY landlords, what color/sheen do you use on the inside of your closets?  

For my rentals, I take care of maintenance and unit turnover between tenants (cleaning, repairs/patches, paint touchups, etc). On our units (which are multifamily, so our turnover is higher than SFH), we use the same paint colors, using only three color/sheen's in the interior, an beige eggshell on the walls, gloss white on the trim, and flat white on the ceilings and closet walls.

The problem is that every time I turn a unit over, I have to completely paint the inside of the closet again, as the walls are scuffed and marked up.  I think this is due to using flat white ceiling paint, as there is no way to clean the paint on the walls.  

In contrast, the eggshell on the walls, I am able to wipe down where needed, and only have to touch up areas that have nicks, dark marks, etc.

I do like to minimize the different colors/sheens I use, to avoid having to have so many different paints to keep track off.  I was thinking that maybe changing to an eggshell white might help. Or it might just be a cost of doing business.

0Reply
127 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · folsom, LA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 21 votes
10y

@Mike Wood, I use a satin finish on the walls, ceiling flat, and gloss or semigloss on trim. I find that satin is much easier to clean than eggshell.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · folsom, LA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    @Mike Wood, I use a satin finish on the walls, ceiling flat, and gloss or semigloss on trim. I find that satin is much easier to clean than eggshell.

  • Roanoke, VA · Member since 2014 · 404 posts · 203 votes
    10y

    We're in the process of switching paint colors in the closets of a 100+ unit building.  The closets were originally a lighter color than the beige walls, but it's too much hassle for a very negligible gain.  I suppose the theory was the lighter color would brighten the closets that didn't have a light, but it's just not worth it.  About half of the tenants add their own stick-on LED lights in the closets anyway.  

    Now we just paint the closet the same color as the rest of the walls when we turn the unit. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Why a different color for the closets? Walls are walls...

  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    Agree on uniformity..I like one interior color all the time in all places.. Makes buying, touching up and turn arounds a breeze.... I tried too much mix up and match ups early in landlording and it is the last thing you want, a paint mystery to solve, when you are getting through a turn around...easy button is one color, in all rooms, closets and units....

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    One interior color, different trim color.  Usually don't paint the ceilings in between tenants.  For a new rental, sure. Always semi-gloss walls and semi-gloss trim, flat on the ceilings.  In the bathrooms the ceiling is the wall color as they are smaller.  Walls are always beige gray.  Trim is either white or brown depending on the unit.  (Sometimes leave it the natural wood.)  Ceilings are white.

  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone.  I guess I always think about closets being lighter than the walls, due to lack of lighting. But painting them the same color are the walls would make touchups easier for a turnover.

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    10y

    Stay away from flat as they show every mark!  You can get away with a flat on a ceiling but that's about it.   I use satin or semi-gloss everywhere for easy cleaning.   I paint closets the same as the room and ceiling gets the same color as well.   People default to white but you don't have too.   Here is a pic of the foyer with a gray walls and ceiling.

  • Real Estate Agent · McAllen Texas · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 186 votes
    5y

    @Mike Wood I agree with a couple people here. Stick with a single paint color and make it eggshell or satin for easy clean up. Less hassle than dealing with multiple colors, less materials to keep on site, less issues overall.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.