Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
Hello,
I just purchased a fixer in INglewood CA. A fourplex, which was build around 1940. We are about to start the rehab process in one of the units. The contractor I talked to today didn't seem very worried about lead paint and asbestos. I called a testing company and they told me it would cost around 600ish to do the testing. So the question I have right now is whether to get the place tested before we begin to demo, or not? What would you guys do ? I have no idea whether there is lead/asbestos in the property or not but I am wondering whether to start demo without double checking.
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
9y
Sounds like that testing cost you too much, but I have never paid to have such testing, so just speculation on my part.
One thing I do know. Now that you do have testing results, you will be required by federal law to disclose the lead test results to any prospective tenant BEFORE you give them a lease to sign (now and in the future). That's part of why I don't test - I just tell tenants to assume lead based paint is present somewhere underneath the top paint layer and to act accordingly (they have already been given the "Protect Your Family From Lead" brochure).
Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
9y
@Mario F. interesting thread hope it all works out. Considering getting a 4 plex or so down in San Diego so that we have renters and one unit is a vacation rental. Any pointers on purchasing a 4 plex or any modifications you made to yours thank you robin. First time investor.
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
9y
Ok thanks guys. @Robin Boyer Cool! I'm thinking about making my available units vacation rentals too. Hopefully LAX and the Forum will be a draw for it.
@Kevin Fox Ok my GC didn't really seem worried about it so I'll just go with that. thanks!
Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
9y
@Mario F. let's connect! I'm selling some commercial property in Corona and getting ready to possibly get into multi famiy and single family property. I can use all the pointers I can get.
Investor · Escondido, CA · Member since 2017 · 55 posts · 15 votes
9y
Since the house was build in 1940 I would guess that there is asbestos and lead paint. They used asbestos in all kinds of applications not just popcorn ceiling textures. You can buy test kits for both on amazon.
Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
It's my understanding that if you are disturbing more than 10? sq ft (even just sanding walls down before painting), you must use lead-certified contractors unless, in some states, you've had the house cleared as lead-free by certified lead inspectors or you, yourself, have obtained the certification. CA should have their requirements online if you Google it, and it's hard to imagine they are not more strict than federal standards. And if you disturb asbestos, you'll need to have licensed contractors for that removal as well. So not sure how extensive your renovation is, but it sounds like you need to use lead-certified contractors. If yours is not, get some estimates from those that are.
Real Estate Agent · Inglewood, CA · Member since 2015 · 294 posts · 150 votes
9y
If it was built pre 1978 I'm sure both are present. There's a larger concern if tenants are in place because disturbing those substances can have health concerns and become a liability if not done correctly. Ask your about safeguards if tenants are in place. Fyi, vacation rentals are great but the amount of hands on management compared to managing Residential tenants can be a headache. Your essentially running a hotel.
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
9y
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I decided to get the unit test tomorrow morning. Should have results by Monday. So I'm pushing demo till mid next week. So if there is lead and asbestos I'll have to switch to licensed contractors for the semi-demo work that needs to be done. This really helped a lot so thank you @Clarence Johnson@Lynn McGeein@Martin Spielvogel
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
9y
Hey guys, so I just got the lead and asbestos tests back. I have lead on some of the exterior facia of the unit and asbestos in the drywall and a ceiling pipe in the ceiling that used to connect to the water heater. They moved that water heater outside at some point. So now, after spending 1600 for testing, I'm wondering how much of this I should remove. The inspector said that as long as it's not disturbed it's OK. Lots of properties in the area have asbestos. There are certain areas I'll need to dig into for rehab so I'll need an abatement crew right? I thought I'd ask to see if anyone here might give me some advice about this situation. How worried should I be about this? What are your thoughts? This likely will blow up my budget. Dont really know what to do right now.
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 21 votes
9y
by the way, I paid $1600 to inspect one small two bedroom unit for asbestos and lead. Did I get ripped off? This was way more expensive than I thought it would be. How much will removing this stuff cost?
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
9y
Sounds like that testing cost you too much, but I have never paid to have such testing, so just speculation on my part.
One thing I do know. Now that you do have testing results, you will be required by federal law to disclose the lead test results to any prospective tenant BEFORE you give them a lease to sign (now and in the future). That's part of why I don't test - I just tell tenants to assume lead based paint is present somewhere underneath the top paint layer and to act accordingly (they have already been given the "Protect Your Family From Lead" brochure).
At this point you now know that for a fact there is asbestos and lead based paint in the structure. You now have all liability for remediating it. You may also realistically be liable for the other units in that building that can now be assumed to have it. For the record I have never seen a lead or asbestos inspector that was paid "Not find it".
If I am selling a unit and the offer comes in requesting a "Lead or asbestos inspection" I highly recommend my client counter that offer removing those contingencies. Once you get a test done you have to disclose to everyone, you essentially put a scarlet letter on your own building. At this point you should most likely get every unit in that building redone and properly remediated. At the very least officially contact the tenants and let them know that they are residing in a building that is known to have asbestos and lead based paint. Offer them the ability to be removed from the lease.
Disclosure: Not legal advice, I am not a lawyer and not licensed to sell RE in your area.
When remodeling units in our area the landfill requires a certificate showing that there is no asbestos for that property for each load. If the testing proves positive we then have to have documentation showing it was removed by a certified company. Check your areas laws, a little research could save you a boatload of cash.