Removing paint on exterior of brick walls

Removing paint on exterior of brick walls

Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
I am considering purchasing a townhouse to rent out out in Baltimore, Maryland that has painted brick on the outside. Since lead is a problem in older townhouses in Baltimore, I would either have to paint over the 2 story house to cover until potential lead paint(which is at the end of the street, so it has more outdoor surface than other townhouses). I would rather just remove all the paint so I don’t have to deal with maintenance. I am not sure if it’ll get rid of the lead completely and if it’s feasible and affordable. Is it maybe even possible to choose a different siding over the brick, to encase it more permanently?
0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

First do a test on the paint to see if it actually has lead in it or not. IT might not....

Second we did a 10 building complex 2 story builidngs, that had paint on the brick,, we sand blasted the paint off as much as we could.. the look of the exposed brick with partial paint on it had a old European look which is WOW really popular now.. the owner did copper clad trim on windows and copper color lighting to make it really look awesome. Put tarps down on the ground before you blast to collect as much of the paint chips as possible,,mow the yard short first,, then after tarp is removed, mow again with bagger to get up the rest of the paint chips.. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    stucco does well over brick. so does another layer of paint. you can remove it all with stripper. call some painters and masons and see what it will run you.

  • Chesapeake Beach, MD · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    If you hire any reputable company for either encapsulation or removal they will need to know if it's lead so they know how to proceed, 9x out of 10.  If there are any flakes or if it may be disturbed in the process and it happens to be lead paint the contractor/painter will have to follow EPA standards per the RRP Rule. Keep this in mind while pricing things because it can be costly due to the painter/contractor being required to wear ventilators and I believe they also have to have EPA training. If you plan on renting in MD, it additionally needs an inspection and certification for lead prior to renting out. Here's some info that may assist with your decision. http://mde.maryland.gov/programs/LAND/LeadPoisonin...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · North Chevy Chase, MD · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    I would think that encapsulation would be substantially cheaper considering there is already paint on the brick, and you won't have as much of the next layer of material absorbed whether it be paint or stucco.  The labor cost associated with stripping/safety precautions needed as per @Brandy  are a killer.  Good luck and please post an update about what you choose to do.

    @Brandy Summerlinundefined

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    First do a test on the paint to see if it actually has lead in it or not. IT might not....

    Second we did a 10 building complex 2 story builidngs, that had paint on the brick,, we sand blasted the paint off as much as we could.. the look of the exposed brick with partial paint on it had a old European look which is WOW really popular now.. the owner did copper clad trim on windows and copper color lighting to make it really look awesome. Put tarps down on the ground before you blast to collect as much of the paint chips as possible,,mow the yard short first,, then after tarp is removed, mow again with bagger to get up the rest of the paint chips.. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 257 votes
    8y

    @Sarah Kuppert I had a similar issue on a Baltimore brick rowhouse I was trying to make lead free.  The brick was painted and it contained lead paint.  The lead certification company I use is considered one of the best in Baltimore.  Their advice:  If you want to remove the paint and go lead free the paint must be 100% removed.  99% removed will fail.  The technician said he observed over 50 property owners try to remove lead paint from a brick wall, and only 2 were successful in getting all of it off without total wall reconstruction.  It is difficult work!

    Alternatives I'm aware of:

    -stucco

    -vinyl siding (ugly)

    -paint it and go "limited lead-free"

    -hire a mason to repoint/rebuild the brick wall

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Power wash.  Sandblast.   Lead paint is unlikely as that was used long ago.  

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    They make a sandblaster attachment for a power washer . You need a commercial power washer . It uses about 20% of the sand and no dust . BUT if its lead paint you need a pro and its gonna cost you BIG

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Thank you all for your input! It’s much appreciated! I will do the testing first and either just paint over it or get the stucco siding.
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Sarah Kuppert I think testing first is the right way to go. When I see a property with painted brick I immediate think of the cost of dealing with the paint. It is is lead paint there is an obvious liability issue but also just the maintenance of repainting is a pain. Two of the most popular lead paint specialists in Baltimore are Leadprobe (who I use) and Susan at Lead Tech (Leadtec?)

    Whoever you use needs to have an XRF gun. Not all lead inspectors have the gun.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Ned Carey what do you think of putting stucco over the paint? I want to make the house lead free and I heard encasing paint is the way to go. Thank you!
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Sarah Kuppert I would talk to a lead inspector and ask what they think about stucco.  

    If it is a row house, I think on sides or back would be fine. I think it might be a little ugly on the front.  On the front I might prefer siding.  I would compare prices of siding vs stucco.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Sarah Kuppert PS  If it is a  nice area consider the stone veneers you can get today.  I have seen houses with this that look great.  I am not talking about the fake looking formstone that you see all over the city. The stuff I am taking about looks like real stone.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.