1/2 bath to 3/4 bath unpermitted. Is it worth it to come clean?

1/2 bath to 3/4 bath unpermitted. Is it worth it to come clean?

Investor · Lacey, WA · Member since 2011 · 21 posts · 1 vote

I foolishly did a remodel on my home in Lacey, WA a few years ago and added a shower to a 1/2 bath with out getting a permit. Now I'm thinking about selling and wondering if it is worth it to come clean and go forward with the city on making it legal vs ripping it all out and going back to a 1/2 bath? What are your thoughts? It seems like all I ever hear are horror stories when dealing with permits and cities/counties....

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Curtis BidwellPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
8y

Many years ago I added a 1/2 bath to our home.  I got it all finished up pretty and called in the inspector.  I was at work when my wife called.  I had it all finished... not open so he could see my work!  he asked me several questions and then signed off, after explaining thr point of the inspection!   

Point is, the happy homeowner can get away with a lot if he’s honest, gracious, and “dumb”!  Just don’t try to get away with it in a rental!

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Well you need to disclose that to any buyers at the very least and it might or might not scare them and could be a problem for some types of financing.

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    8y

    Many years ago I added a 1/2 bath to our home.  I got it all finished up pretty and called in the inspector.  I was at work when my wife called.  I had it all finished... not open so he could see my work!  he asked me several questions and then signed off, after explaining thr point of the inspection!   

    Point is, the happy homeowner can get away with a lot if he’s honest, gracious, and “dumb”!  Just don’t try to get away with it in a rental!

  • Real Estate Investor & Consultant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 620 posts · 386 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed you can go ahead and list as is. You can let the buyers know that the bathroom is not permitted. Many times, buyers do not care. And they'll take care of it if it is ever needed. 

    I'd proceed without opening that can of worms now and only address it if needed.

    Thanks!

    sjw

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.