What do you think - Copper or CPVC?

What do you think - Copper or CPVC?

Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 978 posts · 985 votes

For both renovation and new construction, I think to prefer CPVC. It's cheaper in labor, cheaper in material, and isn't a theft risk. (In fact, when there is Copper piping in a house I will sometimes go in and spray paint it white to look like CPVC)

On the other hand, the salty dogs in the business will say that CPVC maybe won't last like Copper. The commie-pinko greenie weenies (No offense to any here, just playin') say that copper has natural anti-microbal properties and is healthier than CPVC, which might impart toxins into your drinking water.

0Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

Electrical Contractor · both, Maine & Florida · Member since 2011 · 129 posts · 53 votes
14y

Neither one, PEX is the way to go now!!

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Electrical Contractor · both, Maine & Florida · Member since 2011 · 129 posts · 53 votes
    14y

    Neither one, PEX is the way to go now!!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    You might also throw Pex into your considerations:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=cpvc+vs+pex&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/search?search=pex

  • Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
    14y

    For indoor runs PEX hands down. Big debate is how long will it last vs copper.

    Studies seem to point to it lasting a long time. You can't beat it's flexability vs. the rigid form of copper.

    regards,
    Chris

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    PEX PEX PEX!

    This is almost a no brainer. The stuff is sooo flexible and easy to use/install. It doesn't burst (as easily) in cold weather. It's cheap and very easy to transport/install. It comes in rolls, so you can put a 25' section in the front seat of your car. The biggest downside to this stuff, if you want to call it a downside, is that you have to buy a tool to crimp the joints. There are 2 styles of "crimps" both are easy to use, just make sure you don't mix up the tools with the fittings.

  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
    14y

    I have used cpvc in the past.

    I have heard the big reason why the old union guys like copper is because there's more labor and they get the scrap at the end of the job. Perhaps thats the reason for the fear mongering.

    I'd avoid copper unless I planned on putting the home on the market, if it was in a decent to great neighborhood.

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    14y

    The reason copper is painted is because the thieves can't scrap it with paint all over it! They'll have to clean all that paint first!

    While white paint may make it look like plastic at first glance, it isn't what stops the theft ;-)

    The bad part about PEX are the cost of shark bites (though really handy), the crimp fittings are more than copper, but not as outrageous.

    The bad about copper is burst pipes! Even good tenants are prone to the "oops" factor...

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Mark Updegraff:
    The bad part about PEX are the cost of shark bites (though really handy), the crimp fittings are more than copper, but not as outrageous.

    Shark bites are only necessary if you are going from copper or CPVC to PEX. All of the fittings (elbows, nipples, coupling, etc.) that are PEX to PEX do not require shark bites. There are crimps that you can buy that are PEX specific. They are not only cheaper but they are excellent for tiny areas that shark bites and copper/CPVC just won't fit in.

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    14y

    I like PEX and Shark Bites. I don't trust my self with a torch in those tight areas.
    Don

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    I prefer CPVC. Very cost effective and performs well in extreme weather conditions. Make sure if you are using CPVC, to use Flow Guard Gold. I have been through the Lubrizol plant which is the resin that makes Flow Guard Gold. They are very innovative and actually working on flexible CPVC similar to PEX. Make sure whoever installs your CPVC knows what they are doing. The solvent cement process is a little different then joing regular PVC in the sense that the installer does not have to use near as much pipe cement to join. Using to much cement will weaken the joint of pipe and fitting.

  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    14y

    a no-brainer, pex hands down. You can do it its so easy. Hardest part is learning how to unroll it to keep all the 'e''s out of it.

    I bought a neat tool box with compartments for my fittings,one for 1/2 and one for 3/4. you use 3/4 from line in to meter,and a short distance out of the meter to a manifold,then 1/2 to each run to fixtures.

    use cool little holders as you run with it. Take out ALL lead and old galanized pipes out of old houses also unless you like cleaning screens and faucets every time you shut water off to fix omething. Ol style faucets didnt have those and passed crap thru.

    Lead pipes either supply or drain is a sign of extreme old age and best sold as scrap metal. Same as old cast iron drains when walls are open. Good pipe to make your scrap load weigh up real fast.

    Copper from any pipes or brass can also be recycled and you will see how much or little they trash your house to steal it.

  • King Of Prussia, PA · Member since 2012 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    I would suggest you use PEX. It is cost effective, easy to install and there are many other positives to it. I think that PEX would be your best bet.

  • VA · Member since 2012 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    I have used PEX, CPVC and Copper.

    I would recommend PEX if you are on a treated water system (city water). If you are on a well or spring you might want to use CPVC because acidic water will eventually wear out the crimped fittings.

    Always use copper from the end of a run to shower head or tub spout for strength and durability.

    Shark Bite fittings are great, but that they have O-rings that can eventually fail. I wouldn't recommend installing a shark bite behind drywall or in a location that is not easily accessible and will hide a leak until it is too late.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2011 · 155 posts · 124 votes
    14y

    I have had copper (stolen multiple times in 'rough' neighborhood) and CPVC. I now have CPVC in a few properties, but will be using PEX moving forward.

    From what I hear, it is the way to go.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 244 posts · 36 votes
    14y

    PEX is like sliced bread, quick and cheap, except for those connectors

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    nothing but pex in my rentals. install it myself. a one story ranch takes me 4-5 hrs.

    the only copper i use is for laundry tub area since pex is flimsy.

  • Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 21 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    I agree, PEX is the greatest stuff ever! I re-did one property in a day and I had never done it before. One thing to watch out for (at least here in Minneapolis where the inspectors are really picky) is what type of PEX you use. I used the rolls from Menards and the inspector said it is not an approved brand but after thinking about it let me go anyways. I just about pooped myself! Thought I was going to have to re-do it all!

    Anyways, PEX is all I will be using from now on.

  • Real Estate Investor · El Reno, OK · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    14y

    Another vote for pex. The stuff is great; cheap and easy to work with.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    another thing - studies indicate that cpvc leaves "plastic" taste in the water.

  • Investor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2009 · 950 posts · 338 votes
    14y

    I didn't realize copper was still being used much?

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Tod Radford:
    I didn't realize copper was still being used much?

    it is used... for bullets.

  • Real Estate Investor · NY · Member since 2008 · 313 posts · 87 votes
    14y

    I use pex and sometime cpvc. The cpvc shut off valves are really cheap I bought they online for 1.50 each. which is a big savings over the sharkbite/pex valves which are 5.5-6$ cpvc is easy to work with too you dont need the ring tool just a pipe cutter and glue.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    pexsupply.com is where i get my stuff. super cheap compared to HD. they also have 5% off coupon codes online too.

    i just buy the sticks from HD. i hate the coiled stuff. too stiff to work with.

  • Real Estate Investor · NY · Member since 2008 · 313 posts · 87 votes
    14y

    Thanks for the heads up on that site. They are lots cheaper than HD or Lowes. I also prefer the sticks, much cleaner and easier than the rolls.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    12y

    I've seen issues with using CPVC in areas where rodents, or squirrels are an issue, or where there is a crawl space underneath (presumably giving critters easy access to the pipes). I guess they like to chew through the stuff?

  • Investor · Waynesville, NC · Member since 2014 · 408 posts · 121 votes
    12y

    Another vote for PEX here. CPVC is way more prone to freezing and bursting than copper or PEX in my experience.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.