Grey or White kitchen cabinets?

Grey or White kitchen cabinets?

Investor · South Jersey · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Remodeling to sell a 3/1 townhome . Seems like the trend is going towards grey cabinets now instead of white. Any thoughts on what would sell faster from experience?

1Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
7y

@Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins  I'd go with white as it is classic and timeless.

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins  I'd go with white as it is classic and timeless.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins  I'd go with white as it is classic and timeless.

    You can do both in my personal house the cabinets are white and the island is grey.. 

    its a big island 6 X 9 feet so there is a pretty good chunk of cabinets that is grey.. 

    and we did these 5 years ago when I built this house.. 

  • Investor · South Jersey · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thanks guys  for the fast reply. ✨✨

  • Chagrin Falls, OH · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    It will sell well in any color if it is made with taste. I make flips. I always did white, but I wanted to change something. The last one has a black kitchen. I got 6 full offers on the first day

  • Real Estate Agent · Joplin, MO · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 96 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins we just went with the “cloud gray” box cabinets from Lowe’s and we’re very pleased.

  • Contractor · Oxford, MA · Member since 2018 · 807 posts · 745 votes
    7y

    Both are in right now so they should both work depending on what the rest of the house is like and who you're marketing to 

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins grey lowers and white uppers.

  • Contractor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 432 posts · 221 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins also, with a little creativity, look into open shelving. It can save you some $ on upper cabinets but it’s all the rage.. kind of simplifying/ minimizing in the kitchen. You can do a mix of some open shelving and upper cabinets

  • Professional · Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 262 votes
    7y

    WHITE

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    7y
    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins search houzz.com to see the results of their survey. About 1/2 of remodels are white and the rest split between wood, gray and other choices.
  • Accountant · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins I think white a much nicer, they light the room while grey makes darker. I would go white except for the center island which would be grey.

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins, it depends.  Can you post some pictures?  What else (floors, backsplash, counters, lighting) is in the color palette? 

    We once did a two-tone (grey lowers, white uppers) in a u-shaped kitchen that had a ton of natural light coming in.  The tile floors were lighter colored and walls were off-white.  The grey lowers balanced the brightness in the room.

    In contrast, if it's a closed-off galley kitchen with bulkheads and one small window above the sink, I would steer away from grey cabinets.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 114 votes
    7y

    My wife and I did black bottom, concrete-looking counter, and white uppers. Looks awesome!

  • Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 52 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins

    White. Classic and clean.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Castle, DE · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 158 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins I'm a designer and I've loved the look of white kitchen cabinets since I graduated in 2003 lol I put them in my rental and I'm about to put them in my own home. Go with the white... classic, clean and timeless 😊

  • Seabrook/Galveston · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    I’ve seen some white with grey doors recently that I liked. 

    We usually go light grey walls, so white cabinets are needed in my opinion to make it not feel like a cave. Next place we do that is going to be another AirBnB in Galveston, I’d like to try to work some light blue or grey blue in to the kitchen

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    7y

    White shaker cabinets are a classic look, can't go wrong there.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins

    I would stay with white. It goes with every color. If your flipping grey is hot right now. If your fixing and renting I would go with white since trends change and white cabinets are always acceptable.

  • Roni E.Pro Member
    Specialist · Earth 2.0 · Member since 2019 · 598 posts · 271 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins

    Go grey

  • North GA · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins just finished a big rehab and went with white cabinets set against a two-tone gray wall. Nothing but compliments.

  • Accountant · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins

    In my opinion expensive cabinets look better white and cheaper cabinets look better grey.

  • Lender · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2015 · 482 posts · 316 votes
    7y

    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins Survey the market you are in, and you will see a trend. Go with it.

  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 239 posts · 149 votes
    7y
    @Ameenah Muhammad-Diggins both!!!! I recently redid a kitchen and did great on the bottom and white on the top. I love how it looks. Grey doesn’t get dirty easily and white makes the room look less stuffy. The ceiling in the kitchen wasn’t particularly high so I needed to use white on top.
  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    White is safer and will appeal to the masses, grey will look good but could back fire trying to get too cute with it. Also grey cabinets getting played out in my opinion. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.