Home Depot Military/Veteran Discounts

Home Depot Military/Veteran Discounts

Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hey, is anyone taking advantage of the 10% discount Home Depot offers to those who've served or are currently serving our country? Please share your story.

0Reply
140 views

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Involved In Real Estate · Potomac Falls, VA · Member since 2012 · 203 posts · 31 votes
    13y
    Okay......trying this again. I use the mil discount all the time at HD and Lowes. It's usually up to the employee/manager's discretion, but if you present your CAC or VA Hospital ID card and politely request the veteran's discount with a smile, you're likely to get it. I've only been denied one time by some guy who seemed pissed off and said, "It's for active duty only." I just smiled, paid anyway and left knowing that I will need to avoid him in the future. He was just one of those angry people in life. Items that HD outsources for (carpet, for example) are exempt from the discount.?
  • Involved In Real Estate · Potomac Falls, VA · Member since 2012 · 203 posts · 31 votes
    13y
    Okay......trying this again. I use the mil discount all the time at HD and Lowes. It's usually up to the employee/manager's discretion, but if you present your CAC or VA Hospital ID card and politely request the veteran's discount with a smile, you're likely to get it. I've only been denied one time by some guy who seemed pissed off and said, "It's for active duty only." I just smiled, paid anyway and left knowing that I will need to avoid him in the future. He was just one of those angry people in life. Items that HD outsources for (carpet, for example) are exempt from the discount.?
  • Owner / Investor · Oakwood, GA · Member since 2013 · 74 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Yep, Lowes has it too. Just bought a new floor on a rehab. got a few hundred $$$ off.

  • Charles Town, WV · Member since 2012 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    Andres,

    The discount is not only for Active Duty, but reservists and retired military. It's not up to the Home Depot associate to give the discount. Just display your military ID when checking out and they will give it to you.

  • Robert GrahamPro Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    13y

    The discount applies up to $500 maximum.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    @Robert Graham , @Andres Piedra , @Bobby C. please test out a hack I've been working on.

    Use your military discount and then pay for your items with a discounted gift card. You can buy these cards online and they go for a 7% - 9% discount.

    Combined these tatics to get atleast 17% off.

    It's working for me but I use 10% off coupons. Let me know how it goes for you.

  • Real Estate Investor · Stuttgart, Germany · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    i've used it several times, but i didn't know about the monthly limit. thanks for the info!

  • Investor · pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2013 · 112 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    Just wandering im a DOD employee work for military as merchant marine sub contract work, I do have a CAC card, not veteran or military am I eligible.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2013 · 104 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    @Robert Graham @Andy Ballester

    @Al Williamson

    Lowes and Home Depot have never denied me the discount. I am active duty but mostly they just glanced at my ID card. In 2011 I spend upwards of $5000 that year remodeling much of my primary home so I never reached any limits, but that amount was pieced together, not all at once or within one month. I can't see them accounting over period of time as they never tracked my purchases. I preferred Lowes because the cashier was able to apply the discount while HD has to get a manager, or it may have been the other way around. Either way, I never had a problem with the discount.

  • Robert GrahamPro Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Joe G. the limit applies to one transaction. That means that you can't checkout with more than $500 worth of goods. You can return and purchase more. Your purchases are not tracked.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2013 · 584 posts · 353 votes
    12y

    Just active duty and retired, no DD 214? I've never tried to get a discount anywhere since I don't have an ID card of any kind.

  • Landlord · Summerville, SC · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @Al Williamson,

    Incredible idea to compound the military discount by purchasing the discounted gift cards! That said, the thought of purchasing discounted gift cards online makes the hair on my neck stand up a bit - considering the potential to be scammed.

    Any advice on how/where to get discounted gift cards without the fear of receiving a bogus card?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    Here's something that everyone can do (military or not). Lowe's has a website that's called lowesrealtorbenefits.com. Realtors can use this site to send 10% coupons to their clients. I think they can also buy gift cards here at a 5% discount. So you're not a Realtor? Have your Realtor send you a coupon when you buy a house.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2013 · 104 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    @Al Williamson @Jack Collins

    I have purchased gift cards from Lowes at the same time as other items, the gift cards are not discounted. That would not make sense for the retailer because you would receive the discount twice, once at purchase of gift card and once at use of the gift card when purchasing products.

  • Landlord · Summerville, SC · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @Joe G.

    The thought is buying unwanted gift cards through clearing houses, like ABC Gift Cards for example. Lowe's will not sell them at a discount for reasons you note, but there are plenty of online market places that do.

    My concern is that I am not sure who is/is not reputable.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @jack Collins @joe g.

    Check my BP blog, I detailed the process I use to buy discounted store credits Here's the link: http://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/2997/blog_posts/32747-how-to-safely-buy-discounted-home-depot-gift-card-off-craigslist

    I've automated the process by having IFTTT.com send me text alerts when something good comes on the market. Details on my home blog.

    The process is saving me a lot of money, but can save you guys even more. You deserve it!

  • Livonia, MI · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    Al Williamson that's a lot of work for not much money IMO
  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @jeff king it's a 10 min transaction for me. I only buy cards over $200 and at > 33 percent discounts. So I feel good about the trade off.

    Also, and more importantly, I'm trying to do research for you. Now you know a process. Your choice not to use this one. Maybe the next thing I come up with will be more helpful.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Not related to remodeling, but there are great discounts available to military, both active and veteran if you just ask.

    I'm flying to UT next week to spend a few days with another investor. I booked my room at Country Inn & Suites. The price is $122/night. I asked for the AAA discount and they said $135/night! I then asked if they had a veteran's discount and I got the room for $89/night.

    When I went to Hawaii I stayed at the Westin and they gave me a $350/night ocean front room for 1/2 price. I only had to show my Veteran's Universal Access card.

  • Landlord · Summerville, SC · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @Al Williamson

    Thanks for the link! I love any opportunity to make my money go a bit further.

  • Wholesaler · Lenoir, NC · Member since 2013 · 297 posts · 127 votes
    12y

    @Al Williamson

    I think that it is great that you ad info like this. It helps a lot of people out. Not everbody on BP are millon dollar investors. When I purchase something I could really use the extra cash off.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Biloxi, MS · Member since 2013 · 76 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    @Al Williamson , thanks for the info.

    I've made purchases over $500 at HD and Lowes without any problems. They even give the discount to my spouse using her mil spouse ID.

    One limitation I have encountered is the discount cannot be applied to a business transaction (using plastic). I have tried to use my LLC business card at Lowe's a few times and the computer wouldn't allow it. Not sure about HD.

  • Real estate investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2013 · 798 posts · 171 votes
    12y

    Thanks to contractors, most stores cap the limit on the 10% off. However, you can use the bid rooms for your larger projects and it is usually better than the 10% anyway.

  • Davenport, Flordia · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I've never had an issue at either Lowe's or Home depot. I have not had any issue with a 500$ limit either, I bought about 1500$ worth of wood at lowe's in one transaction for a fence we were building and they did not give me any amount of trouble with the military discount. I will say its a lot easier to use at Home depot, as they actually empower their cashiers to apply that discount instead of needing manager approval at Lowe's.

    Nice to see companies give a nice discount to our Vets, my dad told me stories when he first joined there was military discounts at tons of places, but it seems to be more rare today.

  • Davenport, Flordia · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @Account Closed
    Yeah, I have run into that. I think its because the financing on the store card is a "discount" and it will only allow one of those per transaction. Would be nice if you could stack the 10% and 6-12 month no interest financing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.