United Tax Liens charge $25k for services

United Tax Liens charge $25k for services

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 4 votes

BEWARE you will get charged $25,000 for nothing more than a good sales pitch from aggressive sales agents with attitudes.,

Awesome REI will real you in first pitch. The sales model is to up sale you on everything to the tune of $600 or more. They create a sense of urgency to buy now or lose out. Then a call is scheduled with United Tax Liens for two hours. They put a immense amount if pressure for you to complete a subjective homework assignment so they can ultimately get you to pay $25,000 the day of the call. I had the misfortune of getting Travis who is very aggressive salesperson with unprofessional candor and tone. I believed the hype and signed up for the services but immediately withdrew the contract within hours after feeling like I was gamed. So I followed my gut and rescinded the contract. Next day I was berated by Travis who sent me a voluminous text messages trying to guilt trip me even though I was well within my contractual rights.

There are a lot of assurances made over the phone that are not in writing. Based on my poor customer experience I’m not confident you will get any money back after the 5 day cancellation period. I’m so glad I trusted my gut.

Is this the norm for companies to charge for educational services to purchase tax liens.

4Reply
175 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y

Never heard of them, but this seems pretty common.   I've gone to some of the free pitches for 1-2 hours before, for some of the national courses, just to see what they say.  Most seem like scams to me.  They flat out are wrong about some of the stuff they were pitching.   I almost always say if you have $25,000, go invest it on your own.  If you buy $25,000 worth of scam training, at the end you will be out $25,000 with nothing, but some bad education.  If you invest the $25,000 in real estate, well even if you totally mess it up and buy a really bad deal, you'll still learn a lot, and what if you loose $5000-$10,000-$12,500....you still have 1/2 your money left or more.   Maybe you get luck and double your money or assign it for $5000 profit.

Lots of these courses you can find on ebay for a couple hundred...or if you have a 1/2 priced books store near you.  Not sure I would even invest that much, but might give you a start.

My suggestion if you feel really uncomfortable learning on your own....go join your local REIA. Once you start meeting the members, ask for the tax lien expert of the group or ask if they ever have training on tax liens for your area. Learn from the local expert. Also attend ever tax lien sale you can. Sometimes they have educational sessions. Search on google and your state and "white paper" on tax liens. For a handful of states there are some guides written that will go over the basics. Read the book the 16% solution.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    This is 99% of most training courses. I have not taken their training or commenting about the quality of their program but just saying most real estate courses are just upsells - its the entire model. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Never heard of them, but this seems pretty common.   I've gone to some of the free pitches for 1-2 hours before, for some of the national courses, just to see what they say.  Most seem like scams to me.  They flat out are wrong about some of the stuff they were pitching.   I almost always say if you have $25,000, go invest it on your own.  If you buy $25,000 worth of scam training, at the end you will be out $25,000 with nothing, but some bad education.  If you invest the $25,000 in real estate, well even if you totally mess it up and buy a really bad deal, you'll still learn a lot, and what if you loose $5000-$10,000-$12,500....you still have 1/2 your money left or more.   Maybe you get luck and double your money or assign it for $5000 profit.

    Lots of these courses you can find on ebay for a couple hundred...or if you have a 1/2 priced books store near you.  Not sure I would even invest that much, but might give you a start.

    My suggestion if you feel really uncomfortable learning on your own....go join your local REIA. Once you start meeting the members, ask for the tax lien expert of the group or ask if they ever have training on tax liens for your area. Learn from the local expert. Also attend ever tax lien sale you can. Sometimes they have educational sessions. Search on google and your state and "white paper" on tax liens. For a handful of states there are some guides written that will go over the basics. Read the book the 16% solution.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I can buy a house for 25k.

    We just bought a DWMH with land for 6k from a motivated seller.

    Put that money to better use like purchasing a list of owners and doing some direct marketing.

    Drive for dollars in your town and look for distressed or vacant houses, MH's, Land and send the owner a letter. You can look up the owner at your county's site.

    Join your Local RE club and attend meeting in person to meet people and learn. Tell people you have 25k to partner with someone on a deal.

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Thanks for your candid feedback very helpful. I will check out local resources.

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    I attended their in-person weekend training and it was jam packed with information.  It was high energy which made their pitch feel a little high pressure but I am still SO GLAD I went!   I am even considering going back for a second time.  My only complaint is that they couldn't stick to the agenda to save their life - as an event planner myself, It was incredibly irritating.  I did not sign up for their coaching program and no one gave me a hard time about it at all (and they didn't pester me with emails or phone calls after the fact)....  I have a friend who did sign up and she has had a great experience so far and says she will easily make this money back on her first deal.  Keep in mind that this program is geared towards investors who are really green and would benefit from having their hand held through their first deal.  In my opinion, it would make no sense for someone who is already successfully investing and has a solid process in place.  All of the advice given by previous commenters is good but if you are brand new and are paralyzed by overwhelming information and having trouble getting forward momentum, this could be a great fit for you.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stephanie McMullen:

    I attended their in-person weekend training and it was jam packed with information.  It was high energy which made their pitch feel a little high pressure but I am still SO GLAD I went!   I am even considering going back for a second time.  My only complaint is that they couldn't stick to the agenda to save their life - as an event planner myself, It was incredibly irritating.  I did not sign up for their coaching program and no one gave me a hard time about it at all (and they didn't pester me with emails or phone calls after the fact)....  I have a friend who did sign up and she has had a great experience so far and says she will easily make this money back on her first deal.  Keep in mind that this program is geared towards investors who are really green and would benefit from having their hand held through their first deal.  In my opinion, it would make no sense for someone who is already successfully investing and has a solid process in place.  All of the advice given by previous commenters is good but if you are brand new and are paralyzed by overwhelming information and having trouble getting forward momentum, this could be a great fit for you.


     This post seems super sketch. MAke $25k up in your first deal, and its a first time poster. Seems to me to be someone affiliated.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    What? You’re saying the first post you made wasn’t about an 8 month old forum post while you were just browsing? I was going to say virtually same but I figured the message was clear enough. 

    Ps. Here’s basically the same thread 3 years ago. 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/70/topics/929420-anyone...

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Wow, guys....  So sorry for attempting to engage on this platform - clearly this is YOUR territory.  Thanks for your encouragement.  So anyone who has a good experience with a vendor who is being blasted shouldn't post their experience to try to help others.  Cool, cool.

    If you need justification for how I possibly could have come across this post innocently after 8 months....  I did a google search for United Tax Liens and Tax Lien Wealth Builders to checkout how their online presence is and a link to this post popped up. 

  • Investor · Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 187 votes
    2y

    @Stephanie McMullen Welcome to BP!

    You mentioned, "My only complaint is that they couldn't stick to the agenda to save their life...". They absolutely stick to "their" agenda. Their agenda is to keep the attendees off balance so that by the end of the presentation the attendee's head is spinning with "10X" and "millions of dollars" and whatever, so that $25,000 sounds like a small number. Google cognitive dissonance and you'll understand the true agenda for their presentation. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
    "The discomfort is triggered by the person's belief clashing with new information perceived, [or perceived new information, which is neither new nor informative] wherein the individual tries to find a way to resolve the contradiction to reduce their discomfort." The presenter will create the discomfort by disjointed stories, abrubt changes in tone/direction, etc; then offer a solution to resolve the discomfort, ei, buy this $25k program. lol 

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 1 vote
    2y

    I had the same exact experience with Travis Robinett complete unprofessionalism and then harassed me on the call until I was forced to hang up the phone

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 2 votes
    2y

    Please, please stop now and don't move forward. They will send you through 3 agents that want to know how much you have available. That's how they determine your price. This is not guaranteed, and they are not your friend. They said to me do not try to get out of the business. He even said, he needs to make something on it. Do you want a corporate nightmare? Stay away from this company. Unless you need aggravation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.