anyone know about United Tax Liens company?

10 Replies

I got an investment come-on from United Tax Liens for investing in tax liens.  Does anyone have any info on them, good or bad?  They sell a service to help newbies get started in tax lien investing, as well as other services downstream from there.  May be the old sounds too good to be true.

Related, if I do want to get started in tax lien investing any suggestions on the best way to start and sources of education?

Thanks!

Don't pay for education that you can get for free here on BP. Read through the forums. 

I feel anyone selling free info is a big ole scam.

Read, then I would be happy to answer any questions you may still have for free. I teach this subject at my local real estate club.

@Ed Williams Ditto what @John Underwood said. There are a number of experts here on BP on tax liens and tax deeds.

I have heard of them but I am not specifically familiar with them. Did the tell you Tax liens are not near as profitable as just a few years ago? Did they tell you that big money has come in and are bidding prices that don't make economic sense? Did they tell you that the risk has gone through the roof. Did they tell you that you are buying at potentially the top of the market but might be selling in a depressed market?

I doubt they told you any of those things. While you can still make money in tax liens you need to be aware of the risks involved.

That said if you want to move forward there is a lot of information already posted here and people like John and I are happy to help. 

Originally posted by @Ned Carey :

@Ed Williams Ditto what @John Underwood said. There are a number of experts here on BP on tax liens and tax deeds.

I have heard of them but I am not specifically familiar with them. Did the tell you Tax liens are not near as profitable as just a few years ago? Did they tell you that big money has come in and are bidding prices that don't make economic sense? Did they tell you that the risk has gone through the roof. Did they tell you that you are buying at potentially the top of the market but might be selling in a depressed market?

I doubt they told you any of those things. While you can still make money in tax liens you need to be aware of the risks involved.

That said if you want to move forward there is a lot of information already posted here and people like John and I are happy to help. 

Location matters to.. some markets are crazy competitive but you get to little rural counties were the big dogs dont hunt and one could probably scare up some deals.. I really like Johns model of what he shoots for and his subsequent deposition of those assets. 

@Ed Williams    If they are selling education, I would probably stay away from it.  Investing in tax liens and deeds is typically very specific to your state and maybe even to your city or county.  Learn from someone locally, not a national road show.   Rarely do they have the local knowledge you will really need.  Often they're more educators than practitioners.   

A few ways to learn.

1.  Read here for posts specific to your state.

2. Attend your local REIA club meetings and search out the tax lien/deed experts. Ask them if they teach classes locally.

3.  Attend the sales in person.  Talk to everyone you meet there.  Ask them questions.  Ask them who the guru at the sale is.  Talk to the guru, see if they teach classes.   

4.  If your county, city, or other jurisdiction gives classes or overviews attend those.  I think these are more rare, but I've seen different places post it.  Might just be a 1hr ...how to bid at the sale type overview a day or two before.

5. Find out if your jurisdiction hires outside counsel to handle the process.  Call that law firm.  Ask if they can refer you to the local gurus or if they have education.

6.  You might also look at tax sale resources website and look for the white paper for your state if they have one.  Occasionally they'll have someone write an article or do a video on state specific processes.

7.  It's old now and somewhat of an overview, but many people also recommend the 16% Solution book.  I've read it.  Enough information on a few states to get you started or give you an idea about how things might work were you live.

Best wishes and good luck.  

Originally posted by @Ed Williams :

I got an investment come-on from United Tax Liens for investing in tax liens.  Does anyone have any info on them, good or bad?  They sell a service to help newbies get started in tax lien investing, as well as other services downstream from there.  May be the old sounds too good to be true.

Related, if I do want to get started in tax lien investing any suggestions on the best way to start and sources of education?

Thanks!

I can help answer your questions about tax liens, as far as the tax deed process I have no experience.  Which state are you located in, the property tax sale laws vary greatly from state to state.

As far as education. I don't believe there is any seminar or class that is worth the amount you pay for it or that you couldn't find the same information online for free. Searching here and asking questions will give you a good basis of understanding. The same goes for trying to find other people in your area, they may help you with the basics but they are not going to go in-dept about how they do what they do. Many of us have spent years learning and gaining experience, many times by making mistakes and losing money. You will be hard pressed to find someone local to you that will share "too much" info and help create competition for themselves. That is why a site like this will be your best free source of education because you find people who don't live near you who are willing to help you with the basics and maybe a little more.

As far as paying money to learn. I would recommend finding a real estate attorney with experience representing clients who have purchased from property tax sales. Pay him a consultation fee and he should be able to give you a lot of valuable information. Also, look up your state's property tax sale laws, they should be easy to find online. 

Originally posted by @Bruce Lynn :

@Ed Williams    If they are selling education, I would probably stay away from it.  Investing in tax liens and deeds is typically very specific to your state and maybe even to your city or county.  Learn from someone locally, not a national road show.   Rarely do they have the local knowledge you will really need.  Often they're more educators than practitioners.   

A few ways to learn.

1.  Read here for posts specific to your state.

2. Attend your local REIA club meetings and search out the tax lien/deed experts. Ask them if they teach classes locally.

3.  Attend the sales in person.  Talk to everyone you meet there.  Ask them questions.  Ask them who the guru at the sale is.  Talk to the guru, see if they teach classes.   

4.  If your county, city, or other jurisdiction gives classes or overviews attend those.  I think these are more rare, but I've seen different places post it.  Might just be a 1hr ...how to bid at the sale type overview a day or two before.

5. Find out if your jurisdiction hires outside counsel to handle the process.  Call that law firm.  Ask if they can refer you to the local gurus or if they have education.

6.  You might also look at tax sale resources website and look for the white paper for your state if they have one.  Occasionally they'll have someone write an article or do a video on state specific processes.

7.  It's old now and somewhat of an overview, but many people also recommend the 16% Solution book.  I've read it.  Enough information on a few states to get you started or give you an idea about how things might work were you live.

Best wishes and good luck.  

Bruce, the local gurus by you must be a lot nicer than the ones around here. If I went up to one of the bigger guys at the tax sales asking questions they would tell me its a bad investment and not to waste my time. In theory,  I get what you are saying. I just don't think many people in the same community as the gurus are going to help someone out. You might find a few nice people like me, but even in person I would be pretty tight lipped. Online, I am willing to share more info and help more as I know there is a small chance someone from my specific area will be turned into my competition. A lot of the people who do this big scale have been at it for years and have gained a lot of experience at a big cost, either through legal counsel or losing money from making bad deals. If someone is selling a class, they are either holding back the "good stuff" or they never figured out what the "good stuff" was in the first place. 

Originally posted by @John Underwood :

Don't pay for education that you can get for free here on BP. Read through the forums. 

I feel anyone selling free info is a big ole scam.

Read, then I would be happy to answer any questions you may still have for free. I teach this subject at my local real estate club.

If I am a total newbie and looking for information locally, how do you even go about finding and becoming involved with a real estate club as a newbie? What types of things do you look up? Are there different clubs for different types of real estate investing? Our biggest problem is taking what we learn and feeling confident to just jump in. We always feel like we are going to get in waist deep only to realize we don't know enough yet. We really want to be able to work with a mentor-realizing this will be a cost-in order to learn and have someone walk us through the process a few times or be on call if we just have a few questions. How can we go about finding these types of groups in any area?

@Kimberly McCabe Most areas have a real estate investors association or REIA as well as other type of investor meetups. The investor community is very friendly and willing to share information. The groups and associations usually cover all types of real estate investment opportunities. Just google your area and you should easily find one, or ask in the bigger pockets forum that focuses on the area you are interested in. The Columbus and Cincinnati Ohio has a very well run REIA. https://www.centralohioreia.co... is offering $25 monthly membership, which will give you access to attending online meetings and focus groups 5 days a week.  

Fear and taking the first jump is what keeps most people interested in real estate from starting.  Best suggestion to combat that fear is to find someone in your community who is doing what you want to do and share a deal together.  Figure out what you have to offer (ie money, time, work, finding the deal)  and what the other person has to offer (ie experience and know how) and what you want and what they want.   Make it a win win situation.  Good Luck!  

@Will Sifert    Some people are nice, some aren't.   Many have shared great information.   I never mind sharing, as I know 98% of the people will never put the knowledge into action.   I do often ask people why they bid on this or that and what they plan to do with the property.  95% of the time it has some higher value to them, than to most investors....most of the time they were not really investors, but neighbors or family or had some higher attachment to the land or house...something like next door, so they bought it so a relative can live in it or lot next door so they can expand their yard, things like that....but always nice to find out what people think it a property is worth and what they plan to do with it.