Why to invest in Notes?

Why to invest in Notes?

Dion DePaoliPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

I am not sure there is really a good thread here in BP which address this question.  I know there are many blogs but those do not provide expanded conversations around the idea, IMO.  

If you are a seasoned, new or potential loan investor regardless of performance, skill, knowledge or training chime in.  I know in advance, that this may be a tall request and many/some will not want to chime in, but I think it would do a good service to really start addressing the expectations that are flowing in the background and help put some light on realistic approaches and ideas to some of the core reasons folks consider jumping it, do jump in or stay away from investing in whole loans/notes.  

Some general questions:
What is attracting you to this asset class opposed to others?   

What are the expectations that you have, think you have or may have heard in regards to the amount or level of return one can expect?  

What is the amount of time a single investment will take or do you plan for?  Or your general investment horizon per asset.  Perhaps why that is your target as well.

What is the target amount of capital you believe you need or plan to work with or do work with?

How do you believe you will exit your asset investment specifically?  Perhaps a better way to say this is what is your most hopeful exist, highest best, as you know it.

How does that exit affect your return in your opinion?


I am not trying to sandbag anybody.  I really think this conversation needs to take place.  I hold this general conversation with many of the new investors I have talked with and some of those have been from here on BP.  

The fun and familiar motto is something to the effect of "Be the bank" - well, what does that really mean to you?  

The more open dialog, the better.

7Reply
180 views

Most Popular Reply

property manager · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 171 votes
12y

@Dion DePaoli know that I read all yours posts, appreciate their value and your attempt to cover the questions posed. When I see folks talk about notes its almost like talking about old cars or a "box of chocolates" as Forest famously said. We talking 246 GT Dino Ferrari, 1939 Packard, 68 Pontiac Firebird or 1970 AMC Gremlin= owner carry, 1st position, 2nds, under water Vs. equity, performing Vs. default seniors, purchasing partials. They are incorrectly dumped into the generalized discussions. I don't think note investments are for greenhorns, especial NPN 2nds. Start with a simple OWC and work up.

1-Why=The past years of hard money lending have given an opportunity to compare both notes and REI. @Bill Gulley already mentioned the lack of toilets in notes. Rentals, whether commercial or residential, require active involvement Vs. little involvement in the notes(thanks to servicers). Availability of NPN 2nds over next 3-5 years is a factor because I can't compete with Oak Hill and buy $659 million from Freddie Mac at .76 UBP or Lone Star Funds-John Grayken, paid almost 66 cents per dollar of unpaid balance at the June HUD auction, winning bids on all 16 loan pools of NPN 1st's. I'm a minnow see.

2-Note returns= vary as well based on goals and product type. 15-20% yields for 1st's(its fine, boring but its mailbox money). Underwater 2nds can be a total loss to a 600% return. Our investors worst NPN 2nd pool was a 25% return to date.

3-Time=performing notes take about 15 minutes a month to account for each one at most. Pools need about 2 years on NPN 2nds to work through with servicer and take patience.

4-6 Investment amount and exits= It might help to answer the rest of the questions as a BEST CASE, hold for long term, cash flow, NPN no equity 2nd scenario. The other obvious exit to long term hold is a sale of 6 month seasoned reperformed notes at a 15-18 yield. Compare note potential to REI potential. Will have to generalize to make this work.

Assumptions NPN 2nds underwater based on past experience:

Price of notes: 20% of UPB (some are cheaper, some are more expensive so pick a blended number)

Face interest of note: 10%

Face value of note: $70,000

Percentage of complete loss of notes: 20%

Percentage of settled of notes: 20%

Percentage of settlement rate: 180%. i.e. 100k note, 20k purchase, 36k pay off

Percentage of re-performing notes: 60% at 7%

Terms of re-performing notes: 7% interest, principal paid off when property is re-financed or sold.

Term of performing note till property sold or refinanced: 15 years (historically 7-9 years but these may be less apt to sell due to value issue)

Example:

Buy 5 million face value of notes for 1 million.

20% are wiped out leaving 4 million of notes

20% pay off for 360k leaving 3 million of notes

Basis; 1 mill

See this reply in the discussion

90 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    I thought about teaching new comers and bankers about notes but have not found the time to do so and as for as writing a book on notes I have been asked to do that many years ago but have not found time, and if I ever did I would provide it for free.


    Joe Gore

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley 

    My Tolstoy reference was not meant as a jab ... just a comment on the amount of material to ingest.   I do get the enormity of the subject matter, and am not in a hurry for a cookbook for "buying a note".   I'm one who needs to understand (or at lease to be convinced I understand) a subject before jumping in, which is why my progress towards note investing is taking considerable time.

    I did not realise you were producing a tomb on the subject, I look forward to it with interest ... and patience :-)

    I am working with a mortgage broker here w/r to writing private mortgages - he's brought me one of the three I have written and several other candidates.  Going through him means a small sacrifice on returns, far was a conscious decision on my part to build a relationship to see if he might be a vehicle to bring me third-party notes {he claims he deals with a small, but steady stream}.  So far, the candidates he has presented have been pre-vetted (to a point) which eases my workload sufficiently to justify his piece of the returns.

    I am also looking at the tax implications to me of investing in notes in the U.S.A. and how best to go about that endeavour.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Another chapter, using a broker, if they make private notes then those investors may want their money and may accept a discount, usually not much, but a discount.

    Look at your lending arrangement, hope you aren't sharing interests in a note with others. While we have compliance issues here, there are also liquidity issues unknown to investor/brokers getting involved in pooling money, it will be a matter of time before someone will need to be bought out and the broker better be in a position to do that, most won't be.

    The arrangement will give indications of a broker needing liquidity as well as other investors. Liquidity is need for various reasons, and in private notes, this will be much more common than institutional notes.

    You can also ask the broker if you can contact other investors, I have with certain investors here in town, but most brokers hide names as a top secret project by the defense department. Now, you can turn spy, go to the land records you look up every loan filed by that broker or investor and see who lender is. The name may be hidden so look for assignments of the notes. Another issue is that some assign notes to other investors and never file the assignment, the broker can get nailed pretty hard as that can take them to fraud issues. Just because you got an assignment for collateral doesn't mean the assignment is valid.

    In fact, if anyone is dealing through a broker, I'd take a free look at their docs to ease the minds of investors or give them suggestions privately. Hope that doesn't light up my private messages file. I'm speaking to the investment arrangement, not previewing notes. All being highly confidential, goes without saying, but I did.

    You can ask your broker too if he has ant partial notes, buying just the next 12 months of payments or any annuity portion of the term, might just buy the balloon payment at the end for a hamburger today (LOL).

    Joe, people only have to read your past posts to understand you, that would be like putting the fox in charge of watching the hen house.....teach bankers, LOL, Joe even claimed he taught me everything about notes in a post, so for those who don't know, this is a public forum where anything can be said.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Bill most bankers I taught to cannot pour piss out of a boot with directions on the heel and one bank that come to mind is Metropolitan National Bank, and it makes me wonder how the brass got a job there unless they bribe someone. I agree this is a public forum, and everyone can post regards whether it is the truth or not.


    Joe Gore

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    It is good the thread takes on a life of it's own. I have to admit, those who have noticed that my posts tend to be long winded more so recently, I have a new technique which is gather my thoughts and then open up a Notepad document and type my post and then paste it into BP. BP has been randomly slowing response times when I type. (Perhaps to keep posts limited in size?) (Doubt it) When I do that, it is easy to loose track of the size and I type sort of fast. Take it slow.  As an aside, my posts serve a purpose for me too, not just you.  I find value in collecting, shaping and amending my thoughts on these matters.  It is a expansive and fluid subject, I am subject to it all just like everyone else.  I digress.  

    Before I hit topic, again, good stuff by all. Glad to see some names that I have not bumped into in a while here including Tiger, Will and Roy. Bob your story about a losing NPN, if you care to share a little detail I think would have some pretty good merit in this thread. It is not all rainbows and flowers. That is not shared enough, IMO.

    The wrecked car analogy and the levels of schooling have strong relevance. In making the asset class available and open for public consumption concepts surely get dumbed down. Whether that is a function of too hard to teach or lack of knowledge of the teacher is speculative at best.

    For myself, I am not an RE guy. My entry into RE was mortgages. I started on the retail side and moved into private capital and secondary markets as I grew in experience. In an interesting irony I suppose, I had some learning curves to go through when tackling non-performers in my first rodeo. What allowed me to get up to speed and excel, was actually my experiences on the retail side. I had my license, I let it lapse in the SAFE Act update didn't have time or desire to deal with the new requirements. The old stuff was a breeze, continuing education, pay the fee, poof another two years. When I actually first went out and took the class and test, I was already in the industry for a while (regs were a bit different then). To say it was a breeze is an understatment, I can still recite much of Statue 494 at will. I had the fortunate experience to be in the upper ranks of some companies dealing with all facets of the retail and secondary side including mortgage, title and appraisal. I was our principal broker, my license sponsored the company, as such I had a lot of loans (all of them) that fell under my jurisdiction and I took that very serious. That put my experience on steriods. Loan volume was pretty big help. Going through audits and inspections was eye opening. While we did compartmentalize, I sat at the head of that table. If you really pause to understand that idea, each part of the industry has it's own set of regulations and requirements so you have mortgage files, you have title files, you have appraiser files and then you have concerns from each on how you are actually intergrating (or not, as mortgage and appraisal could not co-mingle). Go tell your title insurer or your warehouse line provider that you are going to originate or insure 2 doors down the hallway and expect some visits.

    I can't be sure, but I personally would presume that the idea of learning from all the wrong ways to do it is often taken too lightly. A good file was easy. Have a non-compliant file, have it get audited, panic, worry the entire rest of your production pipeline looks like that and have to go fix all of it. That is the class I sat through and it really molded where I am today. I had both new and experienced originators and underwriters and agents working for us. They all had an equal opportunity to not be knowledgeable. Not picking on anyone who newly got their license, but I employed those folks, I know what they didn't know, they still were under my license. In that regard, I think the SAFE Act took us one step back instead of two forward to some degree. It has become a little confusing for everyone and a newly licensed practitioners also suffer from not knowing what they don't know. A licensee could spend their entire career in the industry and have little or nothing to do with the actual underwriting of a loan let alone the secondary market. No affinity to real regulatory enforcement or compliance. Sorry, but I think the recent understanding of what a MB actually is tends to be more expansive than it actually is.  Net branches (or equivalent) make mortgage bankers out of everyone in name only.  Most would be surprised how many MBs don't actually process their own files, run their own submissions or frankly understand what this rant segment means.  An interesting epidemic.

    I think the volumes of applications, credit reports, borrowers, good loans, denials, issues and resolutions not to mention collateral (resi & comm) complemented with title issues filled the tool shed to what it is today. No seminar is going teach you to read what is really happening on an application or see concerns in credit reports. No seminar can last long enough to teach you to resolve some of the complications that come with issuing title insurance. Unwinding some of the wacky things both purposely and unintentionally that happen to both institutional and private loans that too is an education in and of itself. Let me be clear, that is not me being some superman, it is me having to work the proper parties (attorneys, regulators, contractors, agents, etc). Knowing what an idea doctrine is, ie - no standing, adverse possession, fraud, etc and having or being able to work through it to preserve capital is two different ideas. It is has just been a fortunate series of events for me.

    I segway with some that as this thread has already drawn distinctions into institutional and private loans. There is a correlation to risk. Risk is what we do and look to understand. I can appreciate Bill's brutal brand of honesty in regards to the vantage point on simply calculating a return and then 'deciding' what return target we should have. If we are going to discuss "Why to invest in loans", then we must also discuss the ultimate expectation, the return, and in order to do so at least touch on how that idea relates to the asset class. Before we broach, I think it is important to note, this is not a unique idea or issue with just loans, it is across many asset class including real property. If we postulate, "What is my money worth?" in an attempt to talk about these ideas, I think we can also see similar trends over in the real property side as well. That said, we certainly do not want to get too far into the existential, nobody needs brain damage. Yet, it is an important concept to at least touch on.

    Why is my expectation on a NPN/NPL 20%? Why is my yield requirement on a PN/PL 10%? Why not another number, any number? When is that number too high or too low?

    It seems these are related in some fashion to the assessment of the risk. Yet, risk is a very difficult thing to quantify. My perception of risk can be different from the next person. If we presume that we all can do the same thing when we invest in a loan. Expenses are the same. Time is the same. Then what causes us to determine how much money we "should make"?

    I think that is an interesting question because when we sell a loan, what you think you should make is of no consequence to me in some regard. Yet, there is a correlation (word of the day?) across all of the varieties of loans in the greater market place - i.e. - prime, sub-prime, private, hard money, distressed, etc. In my experience, this is a very important root of getting something done with a counter-party or not. Wrecked/damaged/Used cars have Kelly Blue Book and CarFax reports - what do we have?

    Before I leave that brain food on the table, these questions, which hopefully we can give our own answers to (those who wish to), are not meant for direct answers, they are purposed to make us think and hopefully by doing so come to some understanding of quantification of just how hard our money is going to work and the affinity to risk that carries with it. If I can use Bob's bad loan as the quick easy example, the ultimate reason a loan investment losses money is simply too much money was paid for it. We all get that. So, what are our defenses to that? In its simplest translation, that really is the risk.  Where does it truly lay and how can we notice it?

    When you started through this thread, you didn't expect a simple list of Why and How did you?  

    It will be interesting to see where this takes us. Have a good weekend everyone. May you be deep in mortgages and deep in thought, LOL!

  • property manager · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 171 votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley questions.    

    But to humor the comment posed, the industry standard I have heard and seen is 15% of reworked loans default again. We haven't experience numbers that high. There is no trick to lowering that number, just use common sense and allow an affordable payment for the borrower instead of being a greedy jerk. We work on one loan that has defaulted every year since 2008. If rented, he pays the loan payment, if not, he doesn't. Has the loan been profitable, yep. Would traditional risk evaluations have prevented any issues, maybe. Would we have bought the note again, yep.

    Is it risky, yep. 

    So is getting out of bed each day to feed cows.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed   I think we will start calling you the NOTE WHISPERER  your the only one on the forums who can pick up the phone and talk to all these banks in all these different markets and get a heads up on notes coming on the market... Pretty neat trick really.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    When you build a relationship over 25 years with banks, you will have direct numbers, and you might try to build a relationship with the higher-ups at banks it would help you to get the info you need.


    Joe Gore

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I thought about teaching new comers and bankers about notes but have not found the time to do so and as for as writing a book on notes I have been asked to do that many years ago but have not found time, and if I ever did I would provide it for free.


    Joe Gore

    You spend most of your day on here trolling threads.  You seem to have nothing but time.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed   Joe I have my banking contacts thank you very much..

    And of course anyone can make a blanket statement like ( hey I heard XYZ bank is going to be selling notes in Nevada) I mean come on how dumb do you think we all are.. Banks are selling notes all the time every day every month.. its a constant process.

    If you have large dollars like hedge funds to buy pools then you might have access to large institutions.. but as we ALL know many notes are not with banks they are with servicing companies.. So in my mind to lead these BP folks that are just trying to grasp what the investment is.. That someone can just pick up the phone and Call B O A and get a list of notes is just BS.. Now if you made the statement that one may be able to call small commercial banks and get a list of Notes or OREO's well thats believable. I myself have half a dozen banks in the PDX metro area that are all small commercial under billion dollar banks that I can indeed call and get OREO list.. But these are not SFR's these are commercial loans... Land buildings etc. or maybe a condo project but those have all sold a few years ago... Getting access to what these BP folks want which is notes from SFR owner occ's is pretty tough sledding, and if you can pick up the phone as the NOTE WHISPERER then good for you.. The rest of us will just need to follow logical and proven methods. Johnny lunch bucket or Johnny i want to buy my first NPN is NOT going to call a major bank or servicer and get a list of NPN's in most instances they just are not.. these guys would not give them the time of day.. But of course if Joe Gore called well thats another matter obviously.

    Lastly JOe since you never type more than one or two sentence's my guess is you can't type and you just hunt and peck

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    What you just posted is your opinion and no one else, and I understand you like a blast everyone if they don't agree with you, and one day you might have good bank contacts like I do, and you are right johnny on the spot cannot just call up a major bank and buy a note. Jay you might try to be nice with bankers, and it will open doors for you, and you never know you might be like me one day. I spend money on my banker friends by sending them on vacations. If you are ever in Dallas, I will introduce you to some of the big boys in banking if you promise to act nice.


    Joe Gore

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed   It is highly UNETHICAL  and ILLEGAL for a banker you do business to accept that kind of gratuity from you or a client.. Pick up the lunch bill every now and again or treat a banker to a round of golf is OK... But not paying for vacations.. 

    Not saying it does not happen but it is not proper conduct on your part or the bankers part.

    I have travelled many times with my Banker of the last 24 years and other than as I state swapping who buys lunch we always each pay our own way... BE it a trip to look at a project I want financed or a fishing trip.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Let's continue back on topic and just use the ignore button as needed. :)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley   right O Bill being a bank examiner I suppose you would be highly qualified to comment on the practice of paying for extravagant gifts to your favorite banker and said banker accepting them.. sometimes just can't let that stuff go with out comment.

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    For those who are struggling to follow the cognitive merits of this thread (and not the finger waving), I'll chime in ever-so-briefly.

    I'm in my 37th year of real estate and my 25year of notes. 

    Overall, I much prefer notes over real estate (or other assets). My portfolios are more heavily weighed in paper than real estate. Here's why:

    I'm fascinated at the ability to move paper around and create value, especially when I solve problems that create massive value.  Life changing value, which I define as any single deal that generates at least $100K in profit. The first time this occurred it was a head-rush. Now, it's part of a system engineered to produce a constant dealflow. 

    It was essential to first learn the asset. I purchased, rehabbed and retailed many properties and have studied title like few I've ever met. Probate opportunities were initially serendipitous until I begin to simplify and treat them like the real estate title problems that they are. So, understanding the collateral, title and value is crucial to successful note investing.

    Along the way, I've ploughed most of the profits into notes. Other paper plays have created more equity that, again, I've largely guided into notes. Don't get me wrong, I do siphon off a bit of the cash flow from my notes, which funds a good chunk of my admittedly enviable lifestyle such that my friends tell me that 'I have it better than I deserve'. Maybe they're right. So, charity and service get priority.

    If you don't understand the collateral, title or have some understanding of human nature, notes may not (yet) be a great fit for you.  Never stop learning! To a man, I've watched every self-satisfied investor who believes they've learned enough come to take hard hits, many unrecoverable.

    Btw, I profited from the Ferrari Dino 246 GT play some years back, nearly tripling my money. Not my best 'auto play', but a fun one. Of course, that's not investing for income.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    That issue is really to the intent of gifts, much like the Governor who just got nailed, what are the expectations, if any, related to a gift? Was there any preference given by a bank in return? A banker can go on a fishing trip, he can take a birthday gift but there needs to be a personal relationship more than a business relationship. Buying the dinks at the bar are not significant, paying for a vacation you don't go on is.

    Now, institutions, like an insurance company or a brokerage firm, can pay related expenses to some function, paying the hotel bill where the seminar is held could be one thing, paying green fees after the seminar is different. In these cases the bank is the customer and the service or product may be required regardless of where they obtain it, so long as they aren't overpaying due to some promotion. 

    It's better for a banker to error on the side of caution especially if they are providing loans to that gift giving customer.

      I'm not a bank examiner anymore, just another has been. Let's get back to notes.  :)

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks for starting this tread Dion, i have been in Scott Carson's seminar all weekend.  It was a great experience and I came away with three pages of new ideas on how to improve my business.

    As for your questions:

    Some general questions:
    What is attracting you to this asset class opposed to others?
      -  We were finding that, at least in Phoenix, the fix and flips were getting tougher to exit with a decent profit margin.

    What are the expectations that you have, think you have or may have heard in regards to the amount or level of return one can expect? 

    -  I originally was hopping for 15% return but, after exiting our first property I am now hoping we can do 30% or better.

    What is the amount of time a single investment will take or do you plan for? Or your general investment horizon per asset. Perhaps why that is your target as well.

    -  Initial investment takes 4-8 hours including screening a tape submitting the offer, wiring funds, verifying collateral etc.  Once Purchased I expect to hold the note for an average of 8 months.

    What is the target amount of capital you believe you need or plan to work with or do work with?  We started with 50k total and doubled to 100k.  I want to bring that up to 400-500k.

    How do you believe you will exit your asset investment specifically? Perhaps a better way to say this is what is your most hopeful exist, highest best, as you know it.

    -  Every purchase has different potential, we always look to reinstate the borrower if they are in the home but if they can't pay then the alternative is to get a DIL or Foreclose.  If the property comes back to us then we have to decide if we want to do a quick sale or put a tenant in place and then sell as a turnkey rental with owner financing.

    How does that exit affect your return in your opinion?
    -  I will have to pass on this one so I don't have  big enough sample of closed deals yet to say.

    The fun and familiar motto is something to the effect of "Be the bank" - well, what does that really mean to you?
    -  It is a cleaver slogan but the reality is and should be stated as "You need a lot of cash to do notes". 

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Running through a little digestion of the thread.  I have to clean up one of my posts @Bill B. , I am sorry I referred to you as Bob (was typing off line) in my post asking about a little more detail in your NPN if you were willing to share it's negative return (assumed) and perhaps what you think drove you into that position.

    @Bob E. thanks for joining the discussion.  I found your commentary interesting around the return expectation originally being 15% and now increasing to 30%.  Perhaps you can fill in some of the detail on how your expectation increased.  Is that a pricing metric, such as pricing out to make a 30% return or is it more of an execution idea where you model to a lower price knowing where and how to execute to increase the return?  

    I think this thread can touch on some other aspects, influences and expectations but I want to spend a coupe more posts on return and yield expectations since, let's be honest, it is one of the main drivers.  I spent a couple mins and went back through the posts which made some type of attempt to address the return and time estimates and expectations.  I am going to post those below in summary and I just want to footnote the summary with I had to infer to some extent and summarize.  The questions were poised exactly and answered directly in all cases.  Feel free to correct or amend as needed.   The two direct questions I was digging for:

    (1) What is the targeted return you expect to make on a loan investment?  Does it vary with performance (where performance is Performing or Not - no in between needed)?

    (2) What is the general time you expect to be invested in a single asset, understanding that this varies?  (as needed performing can have a different time than non performing)

    Certainly, we are happy when the number exceeds the expectations.

    So, here is what I think folks said (Ordered as posted):

    David Kanarek - 4% to 5% (Performing)
    Time = Undefined

    Jim Farrel - 10% to 15% (Performing) / 15% to ? (Non Performing)
    Time = 36 to 120 Months

    Tiger M. - 15% to 20% (Performing) / 25% to ? (Non Performing)
    Time = 24 Months

    Will Barnard - 13% to 20% (Performing)
    Time = Undefined

    Bill B - 20% to ? (Non Performing)
    Time = 6 to 9 to 12 Months

    Bill Gulley - 15% to 20% (General)
    Time = Undefined

    Dion DePaoli - 10% (Performing) / 20% (Non Performing)
    Time = 12 to 24 Months (Non Performing) / 24 to 60 Months (Performing) -[Filled in for this post]

    Bob E. - 15% old / 30% new (Non Performing)
    Time = 8 Months

    I would group us in some general manner like this:
    Performing
    (PL1) - David, Jim, Dion = 8% to 15% 
    (PL2) - Tiger, Will, Bill G = 15% to 20%

    Non Performing
    (NPL1) - Jim = 15%
    (NPL2) - Bill B, Dion = 20%
    (NPL3) - Tiger, Bob E = 25%+

    The time groupings are a little more difficult just by the way the answers were.  There was a subtle common theme that those who would invest in performing loans for the cash flow were prepared to do so for what seems like a 3 year term or greater.  I think many of the time answers given referred more to non performing loans.  It would be interesting to clean that up and drill in to it a bit more.  We will see how it goes.  I am going group the NPL's and simply error on the side of omitting the time if I don't think you really meant it that way.

    Non Performing Time
    (NPLT1) - Jim, Tiger, Dion = 12 to 24 months or greater
    (NPLT2) - Bill, Bob = 12 months or less

    Interestingly enough, there was a general idea in NPLT2 that folks had a 6 month expectation.  

    So, that is all I want to do right this moment.  I do have some guided topic ideas we are driving toward with all of this but I want to throw this out and let it be seen see if any other general commentary follows and then see where we go.  The general intrigue right now is exceptions when it comes to investing.  We divide that into two segments according to performing or not and group returns we target and time to achieve that return.  I think this is healthy and a somewhat relative picture of what I think I have seen from talking to various folks.  We could separate firsts from seconds to be safe but let's just condition those to be included in general knowing that they carry a tad more risk and thus push expectations up a little bit.  

    What do you guys think of the way this is falling into picture?

    Anyone, including posted participants and unposted readers, finding they should modify in either direction  their expectations?  If so, why and how?

  • Monterey Park, CA · Member since 2012 · 56 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Thank everyone for great inputs. It’s interesting to see how others take on the expected return rate.

    I am fairly conservative in terms of risk taking. Reserving the capital is the top priority, the profit comes second. In the end of day, the loss of capital takes another deal yielding 100% return or more to make it up to where you start, let alone of the opportunity costs.

    When I look at note interest rate, I will translate it into after tax rate.

    With regular or deferred tax account, it’s common to pay 37% tax including state tax, unless you invest inside “Roth” account or your income drop significantly when you withdraw deferred tax account money.

    Between 8%- 12%, it's really 5% - 7.6% after tax. Is this additional 2.6% well compensated for this particular deal? I often ponder this before I pull the trigger. The interesting fact is that sometimes 8% deals are not really less risky than 12% deal, while looking at the borrower's paying history and CLTV.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Dion DePaoli 

    The two private second mortgages written out of my registered account are @12% for 24-months (both are performing).   

    If I were buying a similar performing second, I think an effective rate of 15-18% would be my expectation ... a fair amount more for a non-performing second.   What is the realistic range of discounts - if there is such a thing - to expect when acquiring performing vs non-performing first or second position notes?

  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 900 posts · 392 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Tiger M.:

    Availability of NPN 2nds over next 3-5 years is a factor because I can't compete with Oak Hill and buy $659 million from Freddie Mac at .76 UBP or Lone Star Funds-John Grayken, paid almost 66 cents per dollar of unpaid balance at the June HUD auction, winning bids on all 16 loan pools of NPN 1st's.

     Wow, were those performing or non-performing? If non, they are paying a pretty penny...

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Dion DePaoli We increased our expectations after a quick REO fop that had a small $ profit but was still 50%, and after getting the DIL for our Lansing Note, a quick easy exit there would be 25-30%. We are going for a longer exit by taking the time to put a renter in the property prior to selling it. Not sure how well that will work but we are going to try it so we can evaluate the results and then we will adjust our strategy accordingly.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    I see I was lumped in at 15 to 20%, actually, it's much higher, 20% is when there is idle cash, and never beyond 3 years out. The goal is 40 to 50% as a minimum within 1 year, understand that my yield within 45 days by refinancing the loan can be over 1,000% as an APR. My definition of skyrocketing retunes is at 1000% + by looking at my initial investment to receiving the UPB in days, not months or years.

    I find it laughable to tie up your money for years buying at a 10 or 20% discount.

    Those deals are with a DIL to take the property and get the borrower free from the obligation, I'd never buy a note to hold at 10 or 15%, that's losing money after taxes!

    Most of you don't know that I can take a commitment to buy, refinance the loan and pay it off with the refinance, I don't have a dime in the note, what's your return on that? Would we call that a form of wholesaling notes? Not really wholesaling as the end lender makes a new loan.

    Obviously, most note investors don't have a clue, getting in a chain and slicing a few points off a note thinking they are in the business.

    What is faster, getting an education in 3 years and making 5 Mil in 8 years, or trying to learn making a million in 4 years and doubling your money every 5 or 6 years?  95% take the slow route and most fail doing better than a good stock portfolio.

    Don't let me interrupt your thinking, jump in and shoot for that 15 or 20%, you'll feel great, think you're a genius and be happy, it gives you bragging rights in forums and that works too, good luck. :)

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley I am no Jonah Jameson and we can put you in your own group if need be, however all I did was refer to what you wrote:

    "BTW, Will, you probably haven't read all this, but my minimum was 15%, if you can't pull 15% from a discounted note you're wasting time being in notes. And the more dealers there are in line on a note the less you'll get of that pie. Buying from private note holders you're looking at 20%+."

    I did condition the statement of not to get bent out of shape as it was an inferred post and all I can do is read words.  Further, certainly everyone looks to the highest best return possible.  Looking for 40%, 50% and 1000% opportunities, fine.  Finding that in every deal, well just pass me the whiskey bottle and I will take a swig with you.  Play nice here, that is the theme.  

    Let's put some much needed context around the bomb drop post there so those who didn't follow what you really meant can grasp some what you barely explained.  It would seem logical to draw some distinctions to days of easier refinances and targeting paper with the propensity to refinance and short to eventual sale.  Certainly some of those ideas have been used in a room packed with eager newbies and put on the projector screen as enticement.  

    As far as laughing at 10% to 20% discounts and their relationship to a deed in lieu, I didn't follow what you were meaning to imply the only context was you were laughing.  Hopefully you can elaborate on what you were trying to say.

    Not really wanting to fall into a deep debate on expectation of return in comparison to all assets in the greater market place but the real rate of return historically is around 7.0% +/- 0.3% with nominal rates varying depending on era.  Add on a couple points for inflation and a couple points for taxes you are far from running to zero.  

    Anywho, I don't think anyone is trying to brag we are trying to have a robust conversation, which you too were participating in and Joe G. seems to have been dismissed from the ranks of BP.  I won't speak for others but constructive discussion is more favorable than pigeon posting I can only guess that is probably a shared perspective.  I hope you can elaborate as it would seem we need to diverge into some distinctions to put return expectations into perspective.





  • Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    I am beginning to understand why so many people, including myself, are reluctant to post on the forums.

    First of all, after being made an unwilling part of a note investment survey, I need to correct the record. I do not own any notes with less than a 12.5% yield. I do have a 10% return on a note fund but that is a different animal. May I respectfully suggest a bit more attention to accuracy if we are going to attemp sweeping conclusions to those willing to share such information.

    Secondly and more importantly why would anyone such a return unless they did not understand or bother to carefully evaluate. In my case, I was able to increase the fixed income yield in my portfolio from 2% to 12.5% for my investors. Am I earning 100%? no. But that was not the objective of this bond proxy!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.