Do you use software to track property rehabs?

Do you use software to track property rehabs?

Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 165 votes

I'm currently doing a rehab on a 7 unit multifamily that I own. I have a Google Sheet that I'm using to track different elements of the project but I'm wondering if folks have success using other software that they can share with me? Thank you in advance!

3Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Christian StylesBusiness Member
Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2024 · 71 posts · 51 votes
2y

Also very interested in this topic, currently using about a million spreadsheets to track renovations and it's all starting to blur together.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Christian StylesBusiness Member
    Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2024 · 71 posts · 51 votes
    2y

    Also very interested in this topic, currently using about a million spreadsheets to track renovations and it's all starting to blur together.

  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    I have worked as a construction manager and most recently I am building a software for the construction industry and I can help with some recommendations. 

    What is what you would like to achieve and track?

  • Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 165 votes
    2y

    I want something that I can input a line item, such as "paint exterior", and then add an expected timeline with something that will reach out and give me reminders to check in. So for example, if "paint exterior" is supposed to take 1 week, in 1 week it will send me a notice that it's supposedly been done, so then I can reach out to see if that's true. In a perfect world it will also allow me to input quotes as well as actual cost to complete each line item, so I can get better with each renovation.

  • Ryan IrwinPro Member
    Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2022 · 158 posts · 129 votes
    2y

    Great question @Jeffrey Albaum I have been wondering the same thing when managing my flip projects.  Following! 

  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    2y

    @Jeffrey Albaum @Christian Styles

    My flipping biz does ~20 projects a year and we track everything post-purchase in QuickBooks Online. 

    Separating by classes allows for separate P&Ls for each property. With the products & services feature, you track each 'phase' of the rehab. 

    Doing everything in QBO allows me to have visibility on my projects and allows my CPA to easily access the reports for tax prep. I am fan of having everything in as few software as possible.

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
  • Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2021 · 245 posts · 154 votes
    2y

    Does QBO have a good solution for automating the data input (reveipts/invoices) and categorization?

  • Kyle HendricksPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2021 · 170 posts · 74 votes
    2y

    Following. Also just using google sheets but always looking for something better!

  • Member since 2020 · 351 posts · 329 votes
    2y

    We use Microsoft project, jira and excel at work.

    What you are looking for are project management tools (for google searches).

    Edit: I am a mechanical engineer-not in construction or real estate.

  • Accountant · 100% Remote · Member since 2019 · 497 posts · 216 votes
    2y

    @Jeffrey Albaum, some of our clients have had good experiences with BuilderTrend as a project management software. It directly integrates with QuickBooks Online (which we recommend for your accounting software).

    Happy to discuss further. Best of luck!

  • Investor · Rockville, MD/Washington, DC · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    I use Monday.com for lots of things and am trying it out as an inexpensive alternative to Google sheets. It does all the things you mentioned you'd like. It's not purpose built for construction and I'm not sure it has any integration with Quick Books. 

    You can create a board for each renovation project and view tasks in a table, GANTT chart, calendar, Kanban, etc. I'm using a board to track a light reno on a new property and it's working well for me. You can also create automations, like when a task has been completed, move it to  completed projects area, other automations, integration with other software. 

    They have a free plan that I use and I can include 1 more person on my team. I have another account where we are using it to manage operations for a website and I'm thinking about getting a pro subscription so that I can have the whole team use it.

  • Investor · Rockville, MD/Washington, DC · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Marcelle Clements:

    Thanks for updating the link! Looks interesting! It's more than I need at this point, but if I had to do a full construction project or a flip, I'd definitely use it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.