Richmond, VA · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 4 votes
I'm considering buying a rental-ready, off-market property. It'll likely appraise around $385K, but I may be able to purchase it for $270K–$300K. Since it doesn't need any work to rent, I'm exploring DSCR loan options and ideally looking for 80% LTV based on the appraised value, and not just the purchase price. So it'll function more like a BRRRR without needing a rehab.
Has anyone structured a deal like this successfully? Any lenders you'd recommend who do this? Would love to hear your experience or suggestions.
Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2023 · 652 posts · 314 votes
1y
Hey Emmanuel
Have you considered treating this as a modified-BRRR strategy? Attack it with a small rehab-bridge loan (coat of paint, fix some drywall, clean up landscaping/curb-appeal, etc.) to increase leverage and reduce your down payment.
Then refinance it after a couple of months at the true "ARV" where you should be in position to at least rate and term at 80%. It could ensure that you've minimize your cost-basis while getting what sounds like a good property that should give you some good equity for a long time.
That seasoning period should suffice in letting it 'appreciate' to its actual value and put you in a great position.
Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2025 · 60 posts · 17 votes
1y
From my experience, the value is always as-is for a DSCR. Subject to means you need work and the loan will not move forward until that work is done. I have experienced both. I work mainly with a great group who is a member of BP as well. Coast to coast. Ask for Matt Harner. Tell him I sent you his way. You can explain your scenario and see if they can assist you. Good luck.
I'm considering buying a rental-ready, off-market property. It'll likely appraise around $385K, but I may be able to purchase it for $270K–$300K. Since it doesn't need any work to rent, I'm exploring DSCR loan options and ideally looking for 80% LTV based on the appraised value, and not just the purchase price. So it'll function more like a BRRRR without needing a rehab.
Has anyone structured a deal like this successfully? Any lenders you'd recommend who do this? Would love to hear your experience or suggestions.
Thanks ahead!
Emmanuel, there are two figures here. Loan-to-cost and loan-to-value. Your LTC is the purchase price of the collateral divided by the loan amount. the LTV is the value of the collateral divided by the debt outstanding. Your pricing and rate for all intents and purposes will be based off the later. If you are looking to take out the remaining equity, I would close with a no PPP purchase loan/bridge loan maybe and proceed with a no-seasoning delayed cash out refinance where you can then walk away with the excess liquidity in hand up to 75-80% of the true value. Happy to help you navigate this is if you have any questions. Best of luck!
I'm considering buying a rental-ready, off-market property. It'll likely appraise around $385K, but I may be able to purchase it for $270K–$300K. Since it doesn't need any work to rent, I'm exploring DSCR loan options and ideally looking for 80% LTV based on the appraised value, and not just the purchase price. So it'll function more like a BRRRR without needing a rehab.
Has anyone structured a deal like this successfully? Any lenders you'd recommend who do this? Would love to hear your experience or suggestions.
Thanks ahead!
The answer is No - a DSCR lender is an institutional lender that goes by pretty strict guidelines so they can securitize the loan just like banks do with home mortgages - therefore they go by the lower of purchase price or appraised value. So even though you can get it for $100k less, DSCR lender is going to look at it from the purchase price.
Lender · Niceville FL · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 0 votes
1y
There are some lenders that will allow for a loan to value up to a capped loan to purchase calculation. For example, 75-80% LTV up 85% LTP, effectively making your down payment 15%. Anything below a 15% down payment is going to come with much higher rates and require a seller to carry a second mortgage. For example, 75% bank loan, 15% seller second and 10% buyer down payment.
Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2023 · 652 posts · 314 votes
1y
Hey Emmanuel
Have you considered treating this as a modified-BRRR strategy? Attack it with a small rehab-bridge loan (coat of paint, fix some drywall, clean up landscaping/curb-appeal, etc.) to increase leverage and reduce your down payment.
Then refinance it after a couple of months at the true "ARV" where you should be in position to at least rate and term at 80%. It could ensure that you've minimize your cost-basis while getting what sounds like a good property that should give you some good equity for a long time.
That seasoning period should suffice in letting it 'appreciate' to its actual value and put you in a great position.
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 583 posts · 653 votes
1y
@Emmanuel Duah Actual DSCR guidelines are pretty strict from my understanding however when I went looking for a DSCR loan for my last project I found a lender here on BiggerPockets https://www.biggerpockets.com/business/finder/lenders and when I explained what the situation was and what I was looking for, they didn't recommend an actual DSCR loan but I got a different type of investor loan that worked out even better
Richmond, VA · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 4 votes
1y
Thank you for the feedback everyone! I'm going to try for a bridge loan first to secure it, and then cash out refi after some light work to reach target ARV.
Yes, you can get a DSCR loan based on the as-is appraised value if the property is rental-ready. Some lenders use market rent comps to underwrite, even without a lease. If needed, consider a bridge loan for minor improvements before refinancing.
Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Most DSCR lenders are going to base it off the lower of the two. If you are trying to work out a lower downpayment, you could do 10% down if the seller is willing to finance you in second position.
Lender · PA · Member since 2019 · 533 posts · 461 votes
1y
Without adding value through rehabilitation, you will not circumvent the required skin in the game. One of the issues you will encounter will be the appraiser's tendency to use the previous purchase price as a guideline to determine present value. While you might believe the appraised value is much greater than the seller's ask, the appraiser has the contract and uses it as a guideline to determine value. If you perform a refresh and wait the required seasoning period, you will get greater value from a refinance. Good luck.
Hi Emmanuel, DSCR lenders I know of, always go off of lower of purchase price and as-is value. You could purchase with hard/private money (for example 10% down), put a bit of rehab, then immediately cash out refinance at 75-80% value to recoop all your initial investments.