Requesting experienced feedback on my DSCR + BRRRR + ADU plan (California B-markets)
Hey everyone,
I've spent the last few months deep-diving into BRRRR, DSCR lending, ADUs, Central Valley rental markets, and long-term value-add strategies. I'm finally ready to move from research into execution, and before I do, I want to sanity-check my plan with investors who have already walked this path.
My goal is a slow, stable portfolio — not aggressive flips or high-risk scaling.
Current Position
-
I own a small property in Tulare County that’s fully paid off
-
Working-class tenant base with stable demand
-
Doing repairs/improvements now
-
Planning a DSCR cash-out refinance to access equity
-
Staying totally local where I understand the rents and tenant behavior
1. DSCR Cash-Out Refinance on Current Property
Purpose:
-
Build reserves
-
Improve the property
-
Fund next acquisition
-
Prepare the lot for a future ADU
2. Acquire Property #2 (SFH or small multi)
Buy Box:
-
Central Valley California (B / B-minus markets)
-
$180K–$260K
-
Light to medium rehab
-
Under-market rents
-
Large lot or ADU potential preferred
-
Targeting long-term, stable working-class family tenants
3. Build an ADU on Property #1
Why:
-
Forces appreciation
-
Raises total rent
-
Strengthens DSCR metrics
-
Improves long-term stability
-
Better refinance options later
4. Refinance Again After ADU Completion
Goals:
-
Pull new equity
-
Acquire Property #3
-
Continue slow, predictable scaling over several years
A lot of long-term operators seem to follow the same pattern:
-
Stay in markets you know
-
Improve what you own
-
Add value through ADUs and utility/expense optimization. (I have the reserves to do this).
-
Avoid massive rehabs unless numbers demand it
-
Let the snowball grow slowly
-
Prioritize tenant quality and stability over speed
This slow-BRRRR/value-add strategy fits my personality and long-term goals.
What I’d Love Experienced Input On-
Does this DSCR → acquire → ADU → refi → repeat sequence make sense long term?
-
Any California-specific DSCR pitfalls I should be aware of?
-
For investors who have built ADUs: biggest lessons or unexpected hurdles?
-
Anyone operating in Central Valley B-markets — any nuances around tenants, maintenance, or rental stability I should factor in?
-
For those using DSCR loans, how realistic is it to secure a second DSCR loan after completing the first? Any sequencing, timing, or lender challenges I should plan for?
I appreciate any insight from investors who've used DSCR, done value-add projects, built ADUs, or scaled slowly in California. Happy to clarify any numbers if needed.