Hello I'm a Marine Corps vet that is seeking mentorship on real estate investing in Jacksonville Fl. I have $9000 to start and want to grow a successful business. I'm ready to take action but would like to have someone in my corner. I'm self motivated and determined. Thanks in advance
Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 784 posts · 528 votes
6y
@Michael Carroll If I were you, and I only had 9k to start, i would look at Tax Deeds. Carolyn Morales is an excellent resource for tax deeds. Search for her here and also online on FB, she has a great group. Cut your teeth on tax deeds, and some might end up in properies that you can sell or rent out later. Good luck to you!
Investor · Rota, Spain · Member since 2019 · 156 posts · 68 votes
6y
Just saw your post. With 9k I would save more and learn more about real estate before your first deal. Do you plan to use the VA loan and house hack, go conventional? What is your overall end game and what strategies are you trying to employ to achieve these ends? Let me know if you got any questions. I grew up in Jax and I am currently a long distance investor due to the Navy.
@Dimitri Paspalaris My goals are to create financial freedom for myself through cash flowing properties. I have use the VA home loan twice now. Once was enlisted and sold property the other was lost due to divorce. I'm currently debt free and building credit to use it again. I will be house hacking when the opportunity comes. I have the time to search for deals and want to get started quickly.
Investor · Rota, Spain · Member since 2019 · 156 posts · 68 votes
6y
@Michael Carroll sounds great. I am looking to do my first house hack next summer when I finish PCSing to Seattle. I am getting ready to finish up my second deal in Jacksonville. So if you need contacts to establish your team just let me know. I can push you all of the info and here to help if you need it.
I would look to save a little bit more before you start investing in real estate. You might be able to squeeze out a $150,000 house at 5% down and closing costs. However, that would leave you with little to no money to make repairs just in case something bad happens.
For the time being - continue to understand the market and zone in on what neighborhood you want to invest in.