My daughter's most recent BRRRR deal. Step by step Breakdown

My daughter's most recent BRRRR deal. Step by step Breakdown

Omni CaseyPro Member
Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes

**Hopefully some motivation for anyone just starting out.** I posted this on the BP Facebook Group and was asked to post it here as well.

Growing up we never talked about money. It always felt like a taboo discussion. It made people feel uncomfortable. As a result, I never understood money. I spent most of my life working really hard and getting really good at the game of “Earning Money.” At one point, that was the most important game to understand and I got really good at it…And then, almost overnight I discovered that I was playing the wrong game altogether. Earning money does not matter. Creating money. Now that is the real game. 

I have come to understand that money is somewhere between, on one side, a living and breathing organism capable of exponential growth. It reacts to outside elements like a science experiment, it grows and atrophies like the used and unused muscles in our body…and then on the other side it barely even exists. It is an idea… Crazy, I know. But if you understand these concepts then the game of creating money (not earning) becomes so easy. 

In the Casey household I talk about money all the time with my kids. We play board games that teach us concepts about money. Not because money is important (because its not), but because the ultimate freedom that comes with the understanding of money is important. This post may make some feel uncomfortable, and I apologize for that. But I am committed to talk openly more about the science and the business of money creation (like I do with my kids at home) in hopes that it might become a more common topic at the dinner table in our community. There is no better vehicle or tool to assist you in the game of creating money than real estate. That is the tool that we have been focusing on for a long time.

Below is a detailed breakdown of one of 38 properties that we have purchased so far this year (on our quest to purchase #52PropertiesIn52Weeks ). Every property is different and has different potential and a different strategy. This strategy is by far one of my favorites and is always my preferred method. Earlier this year we bought a vacant duplex in the Northern Virginia area. It needed work and potential structural issues scared off the average buyer. We were able to get the property for $130k cash. (Pro tip) We actually made the seller several different offers with different price points and different terms and they chose the lowest priced offer because the all cash, as-is, quick close terms were the most important to them. This is also a property that Brookie hand picked as she has skin in the game on this deal as well. (we don’t do traditional college funds…we use real estate for that as well). We were able to have our contractors confirm that the structural issue was not a major issue and was isolated to a few rotten floor joists in the back room. Easy fix. We refinished the hardwood floors where they were salvageable and added new floors where they were not. We moved a few walls around to take a poorly designed 2/1 and 1/1 duplex and made it into a much better flowing 3/1 and 2/1 duplex. 

New paint, new appliances and new lighting made this property sparkle and it quickly became the nicest rental on the market. All in the renovations cost just under $30k. We now have $160k invested in this project. We put it on the market for rent and in one day had over 30 applications come in. We found two amazing sets of long-term tenants and are now bringing in just under $3000 a month in rent. Before factoring in any appreciation in value or tax benefits through depreciation, this would be a 16-18% ROI. Not bad, but we are not finished yet.

We had it appraised and the new appraisal value came in at about $298k. If we sold it, after closing costs and getting our $160k investment back we would walk away with $117k (pre-tax). That would be a 73% ROI. Better. However short-term Capital gains taxes are a pain and that would eat up about 37%! Not good. After taxes it would be closer to a 46% ROI. That is why we love the BRRRR cycle and rather than selling to someone else for a profit, we "sell it" to ourselves for a profit through a cash-out refinance. We were able to pull out 75% of the new appraised value and after lender closing costs that gave us about $210k, which is what we did. (This picture below is of Brookie before she took it in to the bank to deposit it

😊

) This pays us back our full $160,000 investment and gives us $50k TAX FREE gains. Yes, the $50k is only a 31% Tax free ROI but being that we got 100% of our investment back, and we still own the cash-flowing property (that we plan to keep forever) everything that we make from that property moving forward is an infinite ROI which is "Created money" (not earned money). After paying the mortgage, taxes, insurance, property manager and setting aside money for repairs and reserves every month there is about a $1200 a month PIFL (Passive Income For Life). Start to finish, (because I hired a great team at every step) I only spent about 15 hours on this deal (Analysis, offer, settlement, design, contractor set up and check ins, rental stabilization, BRRRR refinance paperwork, BRRRR settlement (at Starbucks before work), Selfie with Brookie

🥰

and this post.) I don’t share this to brag. We are actually a very private family and up until now we have gone though great lengths to be anonymous investors through LLCs and corporations. This post will actually get me in trouble with my wife

😬

…. However, there are too many people, too many family members, too many friends that are struggling at the game of “Earning Money”. I am committed to help as many people as possible stop NEEDING to EARN money, and start down the path of CREATING Money. Start down the path of Passive Income For Life. I do not charge for my help (because that would be called earning money…and I hate earning money

😊

). I will help anyone for free if you reach out and ask. This is my passion, and I feel this is my purpose. On to the next deal...Ps if you are going to the BiggerPockets convention in 2 weeks, I will be there and would love to connect!

#omnitheinvestorguy

#52propertiesin52weeks

#newleafredevelopers

#WeichertLoCo

169Reply
518 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 11 votes
5y

This is pure gold.. Congrats on the successful BRRRR.

See this reply in the discussion

186 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Thanks so much Omni for sharing this amazing post!! So inspiring the way you are teaching your kids early.  I'm late getting into the multi family real estate game, but I'm inspired to move forward.  The rehab part still scares me.   Please keep us posted about your 52 props in 52 weeks project.   Hi Brookie! (future money creator)  :-) 

  • New to Real Estate · Central Illinois · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    What a great post! Thank you for sharing and let us know when you hit 52! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    5y

    Congrats!

  • Jenn W.Pro Member
    Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Omni Casey GREAT POST!! I love the positivity and great real life deal you shared that you are using to create a legacy for your family.

  • Lender · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Omni Casey as a very private person, for you to go public with this inspiring and educational content to help others is amazing. Thank you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Omni Casey thanks for sharing your family’s story Omni, it gives me the needed motivation to keep moving forward for my family as well. Your willingness to help others is very admirable, my father told me this post was a must read, boy was he right. Thanks Omni!

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    GREAT strategy, thank you for the inspiration!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 95 posts · 59 votes
    5y

    Amazing!! Congrats to your daughter on the amazing property and thumbs up to you for teaching your kids these lessons early in life!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 139 posts · 82 votes
    5y

    Great story! Thanks for sharing. Your daughter is fortunate to have you helping her learn in this way.

  • Realtor · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Omni Casey

    Thank you for sharing this! It is truly inspiring as I have 4 young children that I would love to go into REI with them some day! Congrats on the home run!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2017 · 152 posts · 65 votes
    5y

    Congrats to your Brookie! & the whole Casey family ! Keep going Yaay!!

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Alvin A. Gonzalez:

    Great job! I plan to do the same with my son.

    Thank you Alvin!  Glad to hear that!  If you haven't done so already, you should definitely get the Rich Dad Poor Dad Cashflow board game and play it with your son.  That will help tremendously with them understanding the math and concepts.  

  • Wholesaler · Dayton, OH · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Omni Casey great post👍 I actually need help with buying my first investment deal through this strategy. Can you please help me in anyways?

    Thank you!!

  • Investor · Northridge, CA · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    This is very inspirational! I'm new to BP and I've been hearing a lot of this BRRRR method from the BP podcast and really caught my attention, and I'm planning to do this strategy myself in a couple of months. I'm still educating myself with RE investing and really getting that strong mindset for this new journey while I'm saving up for my down payment to get my first rental property. Well anyway, congratulations on this! I'm going to save this post so I can go back to it when I do my first one! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Baltimore Maryland · Member since 2019 · 98 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    Nice job!  And thanks for posting!

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 2 votes
    5y

    @Omni Casey

    can you help me .

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Osseweyer:

    @Omni Casey great post, thank you for sharing. So much information there I don't know where to start. Congratulations and good luck on your 52.

    Thank you Joshua.  One step at a time.  One door at a time.  You got this! 

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Emily Auert:

    This is awesome! My son is 4 and I'm slowly starting to talk about real estate investing and the concept that people live in our "old house"!

    Emily, That is great! He is a little young for the Cashflow board game but they do make a kid version of that game that he may be able to start getting into in the next year or so.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ariela H.:

    Thanks for the inspiration!!!  I love the photo and how you've involved the whole family in learning and succeeding.  Hope to connect with you in the future.

     Thank you Ariela!

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Michele Jefferson:

    This is priceless....Congratulations to you and your family.  I live in California and everything is so expensive.  I could never get started with a strategy like yours here.

    If you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear your thoughts.

    But again, I think it's wonderful starting your children out at an early age.  

    Thank you for sharing.

    Thank you Michele.  I started in Hawaii and the prices are crazy there as well.  Networking with local investors will be tremendously valuable for you so attending in person meet ups could lead to off market deals.  Or you can start looking at investing out of state.  I have done both, so feel free to PM if you have questions or need help with anything. 

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jennifer Cardwell:

    Wow! This is so impressive and inspirational! I'm curious about the potential structural issues you mentioned. How did you determine whether there were actually issues and, if there were issues, how did you resolve them?

     Hi Jennifer, great question.  We budgeted for $35k to go towards a worst case scenario structural repair in this situation so we were willing to move forward and the deal would have still made sense if we had to spend that.  After we closed, we were able to open up the floor where the issue was and saw that it was isolated to one room.  Being that the purchase was as-is with no ability to check the severity of the damage without opening up the floor (which we could not do prior to purchasing it), we had to make sure we planned for the worst and it still made sense. 

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tom Wiser:

    @Omni Casey Thank you so much for sharing. I’m very interested in connecting. With 10 years experience, I could use some direction. How do we connect?

    Hi Tom,  I would be happy to connect with you.  You can find me on Facebook @OmniTheInvestorGuy and message me there and I should be able to respond quickly, or you can send me a message via Bigger Pockets and I will get to those this week.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Barry Vuong:

    @Omni Casey I love your story and appreciate you sticking your neck out to tell us about it! It’s been difficult finding locals that invest here since the NoVa market is so expensive but it is a breath of fresh air to me.

    My family is much the same as far as keeping things private, but as I start the journey in RE I find myself reaching out and trying to give back where I can. I myself have a 15 y/o daughter and would like to impart similar life lessons with her as she navigates life… I’m definitely going to share your story with them tonight!

    Although we just started our journey (closed on our first property in Leesburg last month) I look forward to one day achieving the same level of success you have this far.

    Would love to connect and talk more

    Barry - Hello neighbor! I am right down the road from you in Ashburn VA. Lets definitely connect and meet up for coffee some time. I am traveling most of next week and will be at the Bigger Pockets conference in NOLA. Lets target to meet up after the 2nd week of Oct.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Charleston Moss:

    @Omni Casey great post, I was just able to share this with my 12 yr old daughter. That means a lot for her to look at this and be inspired. Thanks for this , I’m happy for you all. Congratulations!

    Thank you Charleston.  12 yr old is a perfect age to start!

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 516 posts · 205 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @James Lomax Jr:

    @Omni Casey This is amazing!

    Thank you James!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.