22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes

10 months ago I was driving up and down every road in this new town of Iron Mountain MI trying to get a feel for the quality of the neighborhoods and characteristics of the market. I still had a few weeks of college left but was likely going to be starting a job in the town after graduation. Having already understood that multi family properties was where I wanted to focus my attention I wanted to take a look at every apartment complex or 4+ unit structure I could find. Knowing I could only afford 4 units as my first purchase I passed by a large complex on a small lake in the center of town and said to my mother who was in the car with me… “Wow, that would be amazing to own!” Given the size of the building, location, and fact that the numbers on the carports went up to 16 I shrugged it off knowing there was no way I could ever afford something like that in the near future.

The day before graduation I received my job offer, and 2 days after graduation I submitted an offer on a 4 unit building in the hopes of living in one unit while renting out the others. I wanted to renovate the units with the idea that within 6 months I could be living rent free with my tenants paying all my bills. After negotiations and inspections I closed on my first deal in June 2015, began my job, and began renovations. 5 months later I had the first major renovations completed and got the building full to achieve my goal of living rent free before the new year.

In October 2015, during the renovations of my last vacant unit my carpet installer gave me a tip on a 16 unit building. So being young and ambitious I figured, “what the hell, why not call and see what the deal looks like.” Well, it ended up being Crystal Lake, that 16 unit that caught my eye on my first property hunt through the town.

After analyzing the numbers, viewing a few units in the property, trying to find investors interested in a partnership and exhausting my network I had to make a phone call and acknowledge my inability to move forward on the deal(I was 100% honest the entire time about my situation). I explained that while I clearly like the deal, unless the owners could provide some sort of owner financing (in the very first conversation the owners were clear about not wanting to do any owner financing) then I couldn't likely make an offer as I didn't have the financing to back it up.

Long story short, the owners came back with an owner financing option, we negotiated and had a signed purchase agreement by the end of January 2016. After getting multiple banks to negotiate on the financing I was able to secure a commercial loan in 1st position with the owner financing in second position all under very favorable terms. I walked into closing today and was only required to put $11,950 down on the building.

If anyone is interested in learning more about my financing structure, negotiation, or cash flow analysis please PM me!

Needless to say, the past 10 months have been very exciting for me. I am 22 years old and now own 20 units. The goal is to hit 150 units by age 30! But why not try to hit that by age 26?

I have to give a big shout out to the BP community for the advice, encouragement, and cautions as I have sought out help through this process. I really cannot imagine I would be where I am today without the BP community to lean on when things have gotten challenging.

For all the newbies, I was one just 10 months ago. Don’t think because you don’t have lots of money or experience you cant make it happen. It took me just $17k in total investment of my own money to secure these 20 units which rent for an average of $600 each (most of the utilities are sub metered too!). Figure out what peoples problems are and try to find the most advantageous way to solve those problems for all parties. It’s a relationship and problem solving game. Do that better then anyone else who is competing for a particular deal and you can surely see substantial success in a short period of time! 

201Reply
2,623 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Weston, WI · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 114 votes
10y

I  would love to see the cash flow analysis, and I bet others would to. Can you just post it here for everyone to see?

Congrats man, you are killing it!

See this reply in the discussion

393 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · Pleasant Garden, NC · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Wow @Joel Florek!  Thanks for sharing your incredible story!  Congratulations on your effort, and your results so far.  We're slowly but surely going to get there.  It seems like when we have a clear goal in mind, somehow we achieve it!  

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    Phenomenal.  Inspiring to this old man trying to build a nest egg before retiring in 12 years . . .

  • Beloit, WI · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Joel,

    I imagine you are getting quite a few questions about this success story. If you don't mind, I just have a few quick questions for you?

    You are currently where I aspire to be. I am 20 and I am on track to graduate next Spring. I've been lurking on Bigger Pockets and trying to soak up all I can and will be starting to post more and immerse myself in the community rather soon. Upon graduating and landing my first job, the goal is to purchase a Multi-Family with an FHA and "house hack". Until that time however, I would like to position myself as best I can before then. Saving (obvious), credit (building up as much credit and best score I can), networking (BP, LinkedIn, Local REIs, and learning as much as I can here on BP so that if a bigger opportunity potentially comes along, I have the tools and ability to go after it.

    After going back and reading one of your first posts on BP, I see you had some experience with flipping through your family and growing up. I also see that as of roughly 1 year ago you pursued a business partnership with a local business owner with you getting your realtor license and him getting his contractor license. Is this partnership still ongoing and did you end up getting your realtor license?

    So I guess my questions would be along the lines of what things did you do to help set yourself up

    1.) What was your financial situation looking like upon graduating (credit, savings, etc)?

    2.) Obviously, being a young person and not having the highest credit or savings, not the easiest to self-finance deals. And without any experience, kind of hard to build trust to secure partnerships or private money early on without a track record. Any suggestions for overcoming these difficulties as a young person in your first couple deals?

    3.) How did balance the timeline of pursuing a job following graduation with trying to jump into REI as quickly as possible. Would just be interested in your mindset there.

    4.) And finally, any other suggestions you would have for me over the next year or so before I graduate?

    Cole

  • Investor · Catonsville, MD · Member since 2013 · 65 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Congratulations @Joel I too want to find out more about this deal.  I'm not sure how to PM you.  I'm trying to figure out how to use all of these SEO's!!!😨

  • Juan Jose LopezPro Member
    Ojai , CA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Wow! !So inspiring. ..I haven't done my first deal yet. Fighting against analysis -paralysis but I know I gonna make it. .

  • Yonkers, NY · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Congratulations brother!!! It motivated me when other people succeed 

  • Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Congratulations. This sure is very motivational for everyone. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2012 · 403 posts · 246 votes
    10y

    Congrats @Joel Florek! And thanks for sharing. Don't forget to take that carpet installer to a nice steak dinner! :)

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 261 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    read your story and it's simply amazing!! I have the same vision here in Houston, TX.  

  • Sebastopol, CA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Wow! That is so inspiring! Thanks for posting.

  • Newton, MA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    Congrats!! This is great to hear especially from a newbie stand-point.  Keep on rockin!

  • Coatesville , PA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Congratulations @Joel Florek. Your story is very inspiring to me as well because I just graduated college also. Wishing you much success in your future.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek

    Hey Joel congrats man. I just want to how much you put down for the 4 unit apartment and was it an FHA loan?8

  • Real Estate Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2015 · 120 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek Great job man. Really motivational, I am mostly curious about the financing detail and  I really appreciate you offered extra details for those who are looking to reach similar goals.

    Yours in fortune,

    JF

  • Rental Property Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 51 votes
    10y

    awesome!!! 

  • Vendor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    So how much debt do you have now?

  • Contractor/ bartender · Nevada City, CA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Love hearing these types of stories Joel. What exactly does it mean to come to favorable terms in a situation like this? ie. You have to raise your purchase price while they agree to lower the down payment. Or increase their interest while keeping price the same. May be too much info I am asking for. Thanks and keep posting for us.

  • Owen DashnerPro Member
    Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Good job, that is "Baller" status!

  • Investor · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2015 · 85 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Very inspiring ! Love to hear those stories when the boots are on the ground. 

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    hello. What an inspiring story.

    Would you be willing to give me a "how to" on doing what you did with your 1st investment in apartments.

    Myself and my wife are literally just starting to learn this.

    We would love to be landlords, invest, or just get a better understanding of where to begin.

    Need a good teacher!

    Thanks, The Hills

    **how do you PM people on this?***

  • Wholesaler · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matt Madar:

    Awesome job Joel! You're more than likely in a better place than most of your peers!

     Lol a better place than some of us adults lol

  • Rental Property Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2014 · 92 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Congrats! Love your story. I hope myself to raise my RE portfolio. I just recently purchased my first home while stationed overseas. Owner finance deal and it went pretty smooth for my first investment property. Again, happy to hear your story and CONGRATS!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Hey man congrats! This would be perfect for my second deal also being a newbie myself! Great story and I wish you all the best! Impressive!

  • Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Congrats!!! this is awesome especially coming from someone who is in their 20s as well. Im 25 and started bout half a year ago. chugging along as well!

  • Investor · Sterling Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Congrats!  Did the bank require you have reserves in place?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.