22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes

10 months ago I was driving up and down every road in this new town of Iron Mountain MI trying to get a feel for the quality of the neighborhoods and characteristics of the market. I still had a few weeks of college left but was likely going to be starting a job in the town after graduation. Having already understood that multi family properties was where I wanted to focus my attention I wanted to take a look at every apartment complex or 4+ unit structure I could find. Knowing I could only afford 4 units as my first purchase I passed by a large complex on a small lake in the center of town and said to my mother who was in the car with me… “Wow, that would be amazing to own!” Given the size of the building, location, and fact that the numbers on the carports went up to 16 I shrugged it off knowing there was no way I could ever afford something like that in the near future.

The day before graduation I received my job offer, and 2 days after graduation I submitted an offer on a 4 unit building in the hopes of living in one unit while renting out the others. I wanted to renovate the units with the idea that within 6 months I could be living rent free with my tenants paying all my bills. After negotiations and inspections I closed on my first deal in June 2015, began my job, and began renovations. 5 months later I had the first major renovations completed and got the building full to achieve my goal of living rent free before the new year.

In October 2015, during the renovations of my last vacant unit my carpet installer gave me a tip on a 16 unit building. So being young and ambitious I figured, “what the hell, why not call and see what the deal looks like.” Well, it ended up being Crystal Lake, that 16 unit that caught my eye on my first property hunt through the town.

After analyzing the numbers, viewing a few units in the property, trying to find investors interested in a partnership and exhausting my network I had to make a phone call and acknowledge my inability to move forward on the deal(I was 100% honest the entire time about my situation). I explained that while I clearly like the deal, unless the owners could provide some sort of owner financing (in the very first conversation the owners were clear about not wanting to do any owner financing) then I couldn't likely make an offer as I didn't have the financing to back it up.

Long story short, the owners came back with an owner financing option, we negotiated and had a signed purchase agreement by the end of January 2016. After getting multiple banks to negotiate on the financing I was able to secure a commercial loan in 1st position with the owner financing in second position all under very favorable terms. I walked into closing today and was only required to put $11,950 down on the building.

If anyone is interested in learning more about my financing structure, negotiation, or cash flow analysis please PM me!

Needless to say, the past 10 months have been very exciting for me. I am 22 years old and now own 20 units. The goal is to hit 150 units by age 30! But why not try to hit that by age 26?

I have to give a big shout out to the BP community for the advice, encouragement, and cautions as I have sought out help through this process. I really cannot imagine I would be where I am today without the BP community to lean on when things have gotten challenging.

For all the newbies, I was one just 10 months ago. Don’t think because you don’t have lots of money or experience you cant make it happen. It took me just $17k in total investment of my own money to secure these 20 units which rent for an average of $600 each (most of the utilities are sub metered too!). Figure out what peoples problems are and try to find the most advantageous way to solve those problems for all parties. It’s a relationship and problem solving game. Do that better then anyone else who is competing for a particular deal and you can surely see substantial success in a short period of time! 

201Reply
2,599 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Weston, WI · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 114 votes
10y

I  would love to see the cash flow analysis, and I bet others would to. Can you just post it here for everyone to see?

Congrats man, you are killing it!

See this reply in the discussion

393 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek I absolutely love this story! I thought I was excited when I owned 4 units by 24. I am a firm believer in the law of attraction and I think this article just proves how true it can be. You wanted the 16 unit building and things just happened to align and make it possible. I would love to know more about the financing options you used. I had juggled the idea around about a commercial property but had not found anyone to give me good advice on how to go about making the purchase. If you could share any of that information I would greatly appreciate it!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 483 posts · 189 votes
    10y

    Amazing and inspiring! Thanks @Joel Florek for sharing

  • Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    Congratulations! Truly inspiring

  • Mount Laurel, NJ · Member since 2012 · 125 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Congrats @Joel Florek!!! Very inspring.  I am a newbie and would love to learn how you made these two deals work.

    Rob

  • Investor · Pacific Grove, CA · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Great job, and congratultions. I like to know little more about your financing and cash flow.

  • Ashley WilsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Radnor, PA · Member since 2015 · 178 posts · 125 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek Congratulations! This is very motivational! You are definitely on the road to a very successful future!  It sounds like you are not only a good investor, but also a very personable guy too!  Wishing you all the best now and in the future!

  • Bradenton Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    Congrats, Joel.

    Can you tell us your background or support mechanism that provided you with confidence that "you got the financing right"? You've done an awesome job acquiring this!

    I'd like to see more on the numbers.  Can you send to me?

    Thanks,

    Karlson - Anna Maria Fl & Maggie Valley NC Investor

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    10y

    Wow....what a fantastic accomplishment! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    That's awesome!!! Now I just want to pick your brain. 

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 40 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Awesome Joel! Congrats!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Wow congrats man. I was wondering, for the 4 unit property, did you do an FHA loan? And how much did you put down?

  • Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Wow very impressive! Not only is this inspirational but its motivation for anyone having doubts or think something they would hope and wish for is unattainable. 

  • Investor · Cottonwood, AZ · Member since 2015 · 287 posts · 57 votes
    10y

    You didnt have to personally qualify for a bank loan?  I dont get it.  

  • Wholesaler · Reading, PA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Joel, it's great to hear your story, keep it going man, best of luck

    You are doing this at the right time in your life.

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Brenda Whittaker Since I used commercial loans the banks care about the cash flow on the properties more then they care about your personal financial situation. Granted, mine isn't considered bad, just not great given my short credit history, high leverage, and short employment history.

  • Investor · Millbrook, AL · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Thanks for sharing your story. We all take at least a small something from every deal story whether it was successful or unsuccessful. Congratulations!

  • West Orange, NJ · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Fantastic!. Such a remarkable young lady, Very savvy, you have done more than most thats been in the game for more years.  Keep on Rockin!

  • Gordon CuffePro Member
    Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
    10y

    That is great but just be careful. I acquired a lot of units over a year and a half time period years ago and a year after owning them I had many vacancies. When an investor gets hit with a ton of vacancies while still paying a mortgage, they might become the next motivated seller.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    congrats! Wow, so inspiring. Please share the numbers & financing of the deal. I'm thinking that is what newbies lack that you were prepared for- being comfortable analyzing deals and understanding and being creative with financing. I'm taking notes, kudos to you!

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    10y

    Congrats! Just what I was thinking (and praying) about last night. Good to know it's not far-fetched.

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek Thank you very much! This was very inspiring especially for me (21 going on 22). I'm new to the game but your story proves that age is just a number!

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    hey congrats man that is awesome iam a new investor 23 years old and looking to get my first 4 unit building (house hacking) so I would love to here your storie if possible and maybe au can share some hints thank you !!! 

    Awesome for you keep on going and you will achieve that dream !!

  • Investor · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 98 votes
    10y

    Great job!  Frankly, may want to build up some cash reserves and move forward a bit more slowly...

  • Tomball, TX · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Man that's fantastic! Even more impressive that you've been able to accomplish that at such a young age. Keep at it and you'll go far. 

  • New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    awesome insight, goes to show perseverance and bring transparent can be beneficial

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.