what on Earth can beat RE and generate a 100%+ return in 2 years?

what on Earth can beat RE and generate a 100%+ return in 2 years?

Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes

Hi BP community!

Just want to share with everyone another simple and boring deal that generate over 100% return over two years. How many time have you heard people said something like real estate is complicated and risky? This is to prove that you can keep real estate as simple as it is and it still generate a crazy return.

Long story short, this is one of the rental that i bought 2 years ago for 80k from a whole wholesaler. put 10k of rehab into it. I then refinance it out at 25% down payment - 20k with the mortgage at ~$540 a month. The house quickly leased for $1250 and it's needless to do the ROI. with $1250 rent and $540 P and I. the return is like a rocket shooting through the roof

The tenant moved out after two years and I decided to put it up for sale at 130k. the house quickly got a contract in less than 30 days of listing and then sold 2 months after that to a happy home owner. With the sale price of 130 minus selling fee and mortgage payoff. i was left with a 47k check.

I put 20k into the house 2 years ago. now i am getting the check for 47k. Not to mention all the rent income received for the last 2 years and the tax benefit.

what vehicle on earth can beat real estate investment and generate a 100%+ return in two years? If you found one, please let me know

Also, do you think that i should keep the house forever, or selling it after 2 years is a good idea? I would love to hear your comment below

Thank you!

Here is some pics of the house

and my fancy check after 2 years of hard work. I might cash out too early, you think so?

8Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

Good one.  The unmentioned key which is never talked about in buy and hold posts is:

- best appreciation happens in rentals bought in top school districts via great schools rating.

- buy cute curb appeal in nice nieghborhood.  

- If you buy in small towns like me, also deep study jobs and new jobs sources.  Only buy in the path of job increases.

Sounds like this deal did this well BECAUSE of one or more of the above was in play.  Its a necessity to know why a deal did so well so one can hope to replicate it or share with others to replicate.

Buying a cheap house in the hood will never do this well.  Rough areas don't appreciate nor attact occupant offers bidding the price up.  Only the above points will cause this to happen.

Good luck folks.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    @Huy N.

    Your market down there is going great.  Congratulations.  I am a buy and hold.  The only reason I would sell a rental that cash flowed like yours would be to get more money to put down on 2 or more new houses.  I have flat run out out of money to buy new houses and am buying one now that I will try to flip so that I have money to put down on another house.  It is funny, I have not seen a decent deal in a year, now I am offered 1 so so deal, 1 deal that has possibilities but not enough for a down payment, and then I have 2 pretty nice deals.  I am can turn a $5K to $10K profit in the next 90 days so I am ready to buy when the next deal comes.  Oh well.

  • Property Manager · Edmond, OK · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    easy to say for the folks who come up with the money to buy the deals! 

  • NYC, NY · Member since 2016 · 617 posts · 456 votes
    10y

    "....do you think that i should keep the house forever, or selling it after 2 years is a good idea?"

    While I'm sure it was great, you forgot to mention taxes and insurance costs on the rental.

    Otherwise, it seems you shouldn't be second guessing yourself after making the sale. Pay your taxes, then take your profits and go find another investment.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 30 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Nice! The interior looks great. What area of Houston was that in?
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Billy Allen:

    easy to say for the folks who come up with the money to buy the deals! 

     Hi Billy,

    Agreed. I too struggle with the 1st couple deals for the fund. but every time i want to give up.i remember this:

    "the rich invest as if they have no money" - Robert Kiyosaki

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Malik Roley:

    Nice! The interior looks great.
    What area of Houston was that in?

     it's in Spring 

  • Investor · Tarzana CA and Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 326 posts · 130 votes
    10y

    if you 1031 this you can buy another place and repeat...if not, then you are going to have to pay long term capital gains on that 47k which isnt terrible but why pay tax to the IRS when you can legally defer the tax on the gains??

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    10y

    good point @Alex J. I haven't thought about the 1031 on this. definitely plan thing out a little more on the next sale

  • Woodside, NY · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Huy N. I checked out your website looks like your doing great. Is it ok if I email you for this wholesalers info?

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Congratulation Huy that awesome great return on your investment .David Coleman

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Melissa Castaneda:

    @Huy N. I checked out your website looks like your doing great. Is it ok if I email you for this wholesalers info?

     Hi Melissa, sure thing

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @David Coleman:

    Congratulation Huy that awesome great return on your investment .David Coleman

     David. Thank you so much for your compliment

  • Investor · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    I believe you have 6 months to do the 1031. Go out and find your next bigger investment!  

    Oh, If I were you, I would have kept the house for the rental income and saved to buy another. 

  • Investor · Windsor, Nova Scotia · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    @Huy N. - amazing story!  Love hearing stuff like this - it really reinforces why I'm investor in real estate!

  • Investor · Brielle, NJ · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    @huy n.  I would have held it unless you needed the money for something and if you needed money to buy another rental, you should have used a 1031 exchange.  You're gonna be taxed unnecessarily

    IMHO

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 23 votes
    10y

    I'm about to do a 1031 exchange.  You have 180 days to close on your next investment, but must identify your next investment within 45 days from the closing date of your initial investment.  Gotta hustle if you want to do a 1031...  Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarkston, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Good one.  The unmentioned key which is never talked about in buy and hold posts is:

    - best appreciation happens in rentals bought in top school districts via great schools rating.

    - buy cute curb appeal in nice nieghborhood.  

    - If you buy in small towns like me, also deep study jobs and new jobs sources.  Only buy in the path of job increases.

    Sounds like this deal did this well BECAUSE of one or more of the above was in play.  Its a necessity to know why a deal did so well so one can hope to replicate it or share with others to replicate.

    Buying a cheap house in the hood will never do this well.  Rough areas don't appreciate nor attact occupant offers bidding the price up.  Only the above points will cause this to happen.

    Good luck folks.

  • Investor · Woodland Hills, UT · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    I would've held onto that gem for a few more years (like 10). Great job @Huy N. on the spectacular "boring" deal!

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y

    Hello and welcome to BP!  What you do really have for your goals.  Now is probably be a good time to sell but if you are making from renting the market will be a seller's market again.  It is probably better to just go for what is more valuable now.   And how old you are will probably make a difference and what your goals are.  Good luck to you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Let me ask you this though. If the house was worth 130k, why didn't you pull all your money out of it during the refi (i.e. 75% of 130 is 97k). If you paid 80k and put in 10k more, you were all in at 90k. Refi for 97k. Pocket 3 or 4k after closing costs and keep the house.

    Then you'd have all your money back and have no money into the deal. The new mortgage would have been 650/mo? Taxes and insurance another 250/mo? So gross profit of 350/mo and no money into the deal.

    Why sell?  You could do 10 of those and be in great shape....

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Hi Huy - Looks like a great deal. I wouldn't say it was 100% return, since you need to include your $10k renovation with the $20k down, so you had $30k (plus taxes, closing costs, etc.) wrapped up in the deal. But it certainly was a very good return.

    I wouldn't second guess your instinct to sell. You happened to catch the Spring market in a huge upswing as some of the major oil companies moved their offices up into that area. However, with oil prices still way down, those companies aren't going to be doing a lot of hiring for a while, so I suspect the market has cooled for the time being. You might still find deals with good returns in that area, but I wouldn't expect such oversized huge returns on every deal... unless you wait for the right ones to come along. It's part experience knowing what you're looking at and part luck catching the right market timing.... so stay smart and stay lucky!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Nice! The 1031 is always an option but a 100% return is always a 100% return. Good job. I'm in Houston too!

  • Professional · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Well done! I personally would have held on it it longer as well, especially given the cash flow but I'm assuming there was some logic behind your decision. Additionally, I don't know the slightest thing about the TX market so perhaps your timing was strategic. At the very least I'm glad you were able to capture that profit!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mike H.:

    Let me ask you this though. If the house was worth 130k, why didn't you pull all your money out of it during the refi (i.e. 75% of 130 is 97k). If you paid 80k and put in 10k more, you were all in at 90k. Refi for 97k. Pocket 3 or 4k after closing costs and keep the house.

    Then you'd have all your money back and have no money into the deal. The new mortgage would have been 650/mo? Taxes and insurance another 250/mo? So gross profit of 350/mo and no money into the deal.

    Why sell?  You could do 10 of those and be in great shape....

     Mike,

    that's a great idea, i done two of them like that already as a matter of fact and post it on BP as well. i pulled out 100% of my down payment + more. i posted it on BP here as well

    I just happen to decide to test the market myself and sell this one. As an RE investor i am confident that i can always find great deal again. thanks for your great input!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Rob Lucey:

    Hi Huy - Looks like a great deal. I wouldn't say it was 100% return, since you need to include your $10k renovation with the $20k down, so you had $30k (plus taxes, closing costs, etc.) wrapped up in the deal. But it certainly was a very good return.

    I wouldn't second guess your instinct to sell. You happened to catch the Spring market in a huge upswing as some of the major oil companies moved their offices up into that area. However, with oil prices still way down, those companies aren't going to be doing a lot of hiring for a while, so I suspect the market has cooled for the time being. You might still find deals with good returns in that area, but I wouldn't expect such oversized huge returns on every deal... unless you wait for the right ones to come along. It's part experience knowing what you're looking at and part luck catching the right market timing.... so stay smart and stay lucky!

     Hi Rob thanks for your input!

    it was a really a more than 100% return for 2 year ~ 20k all in, the exact number is 23k. my bank is a commercial bank and i have good relationship with the VP so he roll the rehab money into the refinance as well. plus the rent for the past two years was not even factored in 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.