Is Real Estate Still the Best Asset Class?

Is Real Estate Still the Best Asset Class?

Dave MeyerPro Member
Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 826 votes

Real estate is harder than it's been in more than a decade -- we all know this. High prices + high mortgage rates + low inventory is making this a challenge. So my question is  -- in an era where you can get a 5% CoCR from bonds, money market accounts, or a high-yield savings account is RE still the best place to put your money? 

I'll give you my opinion below, but curious to hear what you all think. 

Here's my take, and you probably won't find this shocking, but RE is still the best asset class. I am what I would call a 'total return investor' -- which is that I don't care as much about cashflow, or tax benefits, or appreciation in particular -- I'm in it for the whole package. And when you look at it that way, RE is still the clear winner. 

I just put a deal under contract that was on market. It will generate about 4% CoCR, and 2% in amortization. Even with a very modest expectation of 2% annual appreciation, I will earn about 6% there (thanks leverage!), and tax benefits will give me another 1.5%. If I add that all up, I am getting somewhere between a 12-15% annualized return, for an on-market deal that just needs some cosmetic upgrades. 

Compare that to bonds (5%), or the average return in the stock market (8-10% depending on who you ask) and REI is a no-brainer to me. Am I missing something here?!?

Sure you could say that RE is at all-time highs and is going to come down. It's possible, but a big correction in residential RE is not likely, and over a long hold period, RE will appreciate. Plus, I am generating modest cashflow now + amortization and tax benefits.  Also, the same can be said about the stock market. It's also at all-time highs, and its historical far more volatile than RE. 

Now you may be thinking that owning RE is more work than the stock market, and that is undoubtedly true. But the difference between 10% and 12% over a long hold period is enormous. For an investment of $100,000, over a 10 year hold the difference in total return between a 10% annualized rate, and 12% is $51,000. For some that might be worth the work of REI, for others not so much. BUT -- if your hold period is 30 years the difference grows to $1.25M!! Gotta love compounding.


 So, back to my original question. Is RE still the best asset class? For me -- a 36 year old who plans to keep working for the next several decades -- there's no doubt in my mind. I will gladly take on the extra work of owning RE, given that, even with more difficult conditions, RE still has a very high probability of delivering me outsized returns over my investing career. 

What do you all think? 

23Reply
677 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

In investing, there is no such thing as the best, or the worst. There is no such thing as good or bad.

Investing is deploying capital to get a return based on one's risk tolerance. There is merely varying degrees of risk. There is high risk, moderate risk, low risk. Risk is neither good or bad.

Real estate on average tends towards the low end of the spectrum, but of course real estate runs the gamut of risk.


 I could not have said it better myself. It may be best for person A but not for person B. I have been in real estate 25 years, my wife in finance for 25 years. Real Estate is the best for me, because I like to think I know what I am doing and can use my experience and knowledge along with being active in the space to enhance returns. My wife, she cannot - but she can do it with investing in the markets and other areas that there is no way I could do that. 

I met a guy who does selective breeding of snakes. He sells them for tens of thousands a pop and generates revenue of over $1M a year and has no overhead except his electric bill in his basement for the lighting, a part time employee and of course the food. He has someone take care of the snakes which is like an hour a day. He does whatever he wants. I was sitting next to him along with a group of others in real estate and were like - WTF are we doing dealing with people/tenants/borrowers and this guy is traveling the world while he breeds snakes and generates 7 figures with no debt...

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

164 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    In investing, there is no such thing as the best, or the worst. There is no such thing as good or bad.

    Investing is deploying capital to get a return based on one's risk tolerance. There is merely varying degrees of risk. There is high risk, moderate risk, low risk. Risk is neither good or bad.

    Real estate on average tends towards the low end of the spectrum, but of course real estate runs the gamut of risk.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    In investing, there is no such thing as the best, or the worst. There is no such thing as good or bad.

    Investing is deploying capital to get a return based on one's risk tolerance. There is merely varying degrees of risk. There is high risk, moderate risk, low risk. Risk is neither good or bad.

    Real estate on average tends towards the low end of the spectrum, but of course real estate runs the gamut of risk.


     I could not have said it better myself. It may be best for person A but not for person B. I have been in real estate 25 years, my wife in finance for 25 years. Real Estate is the best for me, because I like to think I know what I am doing and can use my experience and knowledge along with being active in the space to enhance returns. My wife, she cannot - but she can do it with investing in the markets and other areas that there is no way I could do that. 

    I met a guy who does selective breeding of snakes. He sells them for tens of thousands a pop and generates revenue of over $1M a year and has no overhead except his electric bill in his basement for the lighting, a part time employee and of course the food. He has someone take care of the snakes which is like an hour a day. He does whatever he wants. I was sitting next to him along with a group of others in real estate and were like - WTF are we doing dealing with people/tenants/borrowers and this guy is traveling the world while he breeds snakes and generates 7 figures with no debt...

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Dave MeyerPro Member
    OP
    Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 826 votes
    2y

    @Russell Brazil @Chris Seveney totally agree it's a personal choice -- my goal here is to start a discussion about how your evaluating the risk/return profile of RE vs other asset classes in the current environment. I shared how I'm viewing it and would love to hear how everyone else sees RE vs. other asset classes. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dave Meyer:

    @Russell Brazil @Chris Seveney totally agree it's a personal choice -- my goal here is to start a discussion about how your evaluating the risk/return profile of RE vs other asset classes in the current environment. I shared how I'm viewing it and would love to hear how everyone else sees RE vs. other asset classes. 


     Thanks Dave

    For the risk profile, I am a huge fan of real estate (as I would not be on here if I was not). For the risk profile, this is the old question "what would you tell your 25 year old self" and the answer is to understand the risk involved in real estate, especially when you are taking on considerable leverage. While real estate has historically increased in price, it still poses significant risk because it is typically the most expensive purchase people make in their lifetime. Managing this asset and the people in it is not easy, and takes some construction knowledge, people skills and most importantly financial acumen. Going into this with blinders on and not understanding the risk that you could lose everything is reality and this happened to many 15 years ago. 

    You absolutely can make great $ in this business, but its not as easy as some gurus make it sound. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    2y

    I have an IRR threshold of 20+% for direct owned real estate due to the work involved; otherwise, I invest passively in syndications to get returns in the teens. And contrary to the talk on the forums from investors who don't have experience investing in syndications (or the right processes), there are safe opportunities.

    @Dave Meyer I find your commentary on the podcasts to be the best in class of the hosts.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    2y

    The only thing better than real estate apparently is breeding reptiles but yeah, no thanks (:

  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 310 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Dave Meyer:

    Real estate is harder than it's been in more than a decade -- we all know this. High prices + high mortgage rates + low inventory is making this a challenge. So my question is  -- in an era where you can get a 5% CoCR from bonds, money market accounts, or a high-yield savings account is RE still the best place to put your money? 

    I'll give you my opinion below, but curious to hear what you all think. 

    Here's my take, and you probably won't find this shocking, but RE is still the best asset class. I am what I would call a 'total return investor' -- which is that I don't care as much about cashflow, or tax benefits, or appreciation in particular -- I'm in it for the whole package. And when you look at it that way, RE is still the clear winner. 

    I just put a deal under contract that was on market. It will generate about 4% CoCR, and 2% in amortization. Even with a very modest expectation of 2% annual appreciation, I will earn about 6% there (thanks leverage!), and tax benefits will give me another 1.5%. If I add that all up, I am getting somewhere between a 12-15% annualized return, for an on-market deal that just needs some cosmetic upgrades. 

    Compare that to bonds (5%), or the average return in the stock market (8-10% depending on who you ask) and REI is a no-brainer to me. Am I missing something here?!?

    Sure you could say that RE is at all-time highs and is going to come down. It's possible, but a big correction in residential RE is not likely, and over a long hold period, RE will appreciate. Plus, I am generating modest cashflow now + amortization and tax benefits.  Also, the same can be said about the stock market. It's also at all-time highs, and its historical far more volatile than RE. 

    Now you may be thinking that owning RE is more work than the stock market, and that is undoubtedly true. But the difference between 10% and 12% over a long hold period is enormous. For an investment of $100,000, over a 10 year hold the difference in total return between a 10% annualized rate, and 12% is $51,000. For some that might be worth the work of REI, for others not so much. BUT -- if your hold period is 30 years the difference grows to $1.25M!! Gotta love compounding.


     So, back to my original question. Is RE still the best asset class? For me -- a 36 year old who plans to keep working for the next several decades -- there's no doubt in my mind. I will gladly take on the extra work of owning RE, given that, even with more difficult conditions, RE still has a very high probability of delivering me outsized returns over my investing career. 

    What do you all think? 

     Great post. I believe the main trade off is liquidity and transaction costs. 

    Stock, averaging 8-10% can be easily bought or sold anytime for free and with a dollar.

    But a single family home needs at least $25k or so to get started and can cost nearly 10% of the asset value to buy and sell. And that sale can take months. If you're ok with that, the return package can be better.  

    For you, it sounds like a great match. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mike Dymski:

    I have an IRR threshold of 20+% for direct owned real estate due to the work involved; otherwise, I invest passively in syndications to get returns in the teens. And contrary to the talk on the forums from investors who don't have experience investing in syndications (or the right processes), there are safe opportunities.

    @Dave Meyer I find your commentary on the podcasts to be the best in class of the hosts.

    Exactly.  Risk and EFFORT-adjusted, I don't think RE is the best asset class today for most.   

    A leveraged return of 12ish% for something that takes so much work to acquire, improve, operate and then sell (with high transaction costs) alone doesn't do it for me.

    But I will always love RE.  A bigger why than monetary return for me has always been to be a conscious LL and seller.  Plus the learning curve to invest effectively was too steep to completely disregard it.  We'll always want to do what we know best. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    leveraged residential real estate is the best when money is cheap (2010-2022)
    now that money is expensive, cash aka debt investment is the best including investment in tech-specific sector only, eg: AI.

    now the party is over for residential real estate. It would not die but it's just not too exciting anymore.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Steve Vaughan:
    Quote from @Mike Dymski:

    I have an IRR threshold of 20+% for direct owned real estate due to the work involved; otherwise, I invest passively in syndications to get returns in the teens. And contrary to the talk on the forums from investors who don't have experience investing in syndications (or the right processes), there are safe opportunities.

    @Dave Meyer I find your commentary on the podcasts to be the best in class of the hosts.

    Exactly.  Risk and EFFORT-adjusted, I don't think RE is the best asset class today for most.   

    A leveraged return of 12ish% for something that takes so much work to acquire, improve, operate and then sell (with high transaction costs) alone doesn't do it for me.

    But I will always love RE.  A bigger why than monetary return for me has always been to be a conscious LL and seller.  Plus the learning curve to invest effectively was too steep to completely disregard it.  We'll always want to do what we know best. 


     right, i see RE is mostly now as tool to save money rather than to create money, for example buying house for kid , retirement planning, etc,etc..... things like househacking (saving cost) is more interesting now than acquiring rental for example. Time is changing.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Real estate is still the best investment for normal people to remove or at least cushion themselves against the rat race and build wealth.  I don't invest in the stock market (and suspect it is more BS then the real estate market) but from my experience real estate is the only asset that pays you to own it in a meaningful way.  Even with real estate as unaffordable as it has ever been I would encourage young people or anyone to buy good real estate, manage it well and wait.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

    leveraged residential real estate is the best when money is cheap (2010-2022)
    now that money is expensive, cash aka debt investment is the best including investment in tech-specific sector only, eg: AI.

    Well said on debt investment.  Lock in while you can.

    Debt/leverage is expensive for many companies in the stock market as well.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 31 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    I agree with you! I left my Saas Sales career behind to move into real estate. I believe RE is a great option, you just have to shift with the market and look different avenues in RE. 

    Is single family home rentals as profitable as it was post 2008 crash to around 2020? Probably not. It depends on where you live and what your RE goals are. Despite current macro and micro environments, I'm bullish on real estate. It's cyclical, yes for sure and it's important to ride out the cycles. For me right now, I am looking at investing in multi-family investment funds. Anyone else looking at passive or MF?

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Carlos Ptriawan

    all good points - and not only is money more expensive, but the housing stock is even older, with even more deferred maintenance.  that makes it more expensive.  need some kind of metric for this - it's very overlooked on BP with rosy spreadsheet math - "I budget $50 a month for capex on this house that was built in 1938."

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Eric Bilderback

    agree with just about everything you said, and i do have more of my NW in RE than in anything else... although I wish i had bought more stock between 2010 and 2016.

    i will continue to buy individual properties but i am also looking at index funds and REITs more keenly now that the macro environment has changed.  i remain bullish on the US long term - the housing market, the stock market, all of it.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Carlos Ptriawan

    all good points - and not only is money more expensive, but the housing stock is even older, with even more deferred maintenance.  that makes it more expensive.  need some kind of metric for this - it's very overlooked on BP with rosy spreadsheet math - "I budget $50 a month for capex on this house that was built in 1938."


    rising maintenance, rising capex cost, rising debt, rising property insurance , rising property tax , slowing appreciation, rent reduction, higher crimes ..........while the lender is taking 7-10% or 90% of the income , no i am out, i would become the lender side now lol

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 290 posts · 233 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Eric Bilderback:

    Real estate is still the best investment for normal people to remove or at least cushion themselves against the rat race and build wealth.  I don't invest in the stock market (and suspect it is more BS then the real estate market) but from my experience real estate is the only asset that pays you to own it in a meaningful way.  Even with real estate as unaffordable as it has ever been I would encourage young people or anyone to buy good real estate, manage it well and wait.

    Pretty much 100%.   SNP 500 is super consistent and does well over time, but unless you are a lunatic who's using options ( playing with HOT fire ), you really can't leverage. 

    It's a huge tool and benefit to RE.  Because RE has plenty of other time sucks and costs involved, it's far from passive. 
    I'm doing well recently with a conservative dividend focused ETF that's giving 10%,  with very little price growth or decrease.  Good liqudity too for when/ if RE presents for reasonable opportunities!
  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I'm still bullish on RE. I bought 10 SFR buy n holds in the last 12 months. Nothing compares to the returns on RE over time when you factor everything in.

  • Member since 2020 · 351 posts · 329 votes
    2y

    I would say it at best third in this environment. 
    1. a business you own and run. Although it would need to be a good business, there are some crappy business out there.

    2. Is the tech monopolies. High margins, large moats, high debt rates discourage new competitors. 

    3. real estate. You might get returns as good as the tech monopolies but with more work. The real play here though is when/if we hit a recession and rates go down being ready to refinance into lower rates or if inflation stays high it ends up being a very good hedge.

    4. The US stock market. We all talk about finding a house which is a good deal

    5. Debt funds and treasuries. Carlos has pointed out debt funds in other threads which return 9-10%.


    3-5 may move around based on time available, skills and  investor goals. 1 may be on or off the table depending on a persons personality and skills. Real estate has moved more into an appreciation play than cash flow.

  • Lender · Southwest Georgia · Member since 2017 · 312 posts · 278 votes
    2y

    Real estate is the most proven asset class in the history of the world. That is true, but is it the best in this current environment? Maybe. If your time horizon is longer than 7 years, then I would say yes to real estate. If you are looking at 7 years or less, I would say that it's not the best investment out there. 

    Also, Real estate is such a broad category that at any point in time, one section of real estate will be performing great while others will not. We can all see the issues with Office space right now, but during the 90's to 2000's it was an amazing asset. Residential has been a winner for a while now, but what's to say that demographics cause issues in 15 years, much like with China? So can real estate be the best investment out there, yes some of it can be, but then for others it will be the worse. 

    The best investment for anyone is something they can easily understand and to sleep at night not worrying about it. For some that is real estate, others its bonds, others its stocks. For me, its real estate. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @J. Mitchell Bernier:

    Real estate is the most proven asset class in the history of the world. That is true, but is it the best in this current environment? Maybe. If your time horizon is longer than 7 years, then I would say yes to real estate. If you are looking at 7 years or less, I would say that it's not the best investment out there. 

    Also, Real estate is such a broad category that at any point in time, one section of real estate will be performing great while others will not. We can all see the issues with Office space right now, but during the 90's to 2000's it was an amazing asset. Residential has been a winner for a while now, but what's to say that demographics cause issues in 15 years, much like with China? So can real estate be the best investment out there, yes some of it can be, but then for others it will be the worse. 


     sometimes, for some of us that has "wild speculator instinct" and good future projection, best business is always what business that we purchased when we got certain discount in relative to valuation.

    For example.
    In 2009-2012 this is our best party to purchase residential real estate as asset price is falling.
    In 2000-2005 was the best time to purchase commodities company/asset
    In 2023-2025 could be the best time to purchase hotel or office as asset valuation went down 70-90%. 

    Again, not for everyone ;)

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Probably still is. It really depends on the area and employer. Our area home average price has gone up 12-15% since last year. With all the tech layoffs one hears people still are willing to bid up. A home the PITI can be $12-15K a month. That is 1/5 th of a million dollars payments a year, Many are still buying. However, the rental properties are too pricey. Investors found out many tenants can get away from not paying rent and judges are still protecting tenants even if they have the means but do not want to pay. They believe everyone has to live inside a home. This is in northern California coast.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sam Shueh:

    Probably still is. It really depends on the area and employer. Our area home average price has gone up 12-15% since last year. With all the tech layoffs one hears people still are willing to bid up. A home the PITI can be $12-15K a month. That is 1/5 th of a million dollars payments a year, Many are still buying. However, the rental properties are too pricey. Investors found out many tenants can get away from not paying rent and judges are still protecting tenants even if they have the means but do not want to pay. They believe everyone has to live inside a home. This is in northern California coast.


    Well I know you personally Sam, but in general area like Cupertino and such is very niche and exception in comparison to the rest of the US. Given the fact that Apple just announced $110 billion buyback I think Cupertino price would skyrocket again and again ... also these days potential homeowner is extremely aggressive bidding home in south bay.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    I meant if one started comparing to property price in Texas or Florida then you would see the opposite picture. 

    So if our OP is asking the question "Is the real estate in Cupertino the best asset class compare to stock market , CD or business dividend yield" then the answer is absolutely yes. 

    but if the question is that  "Is the residential real estate in general US the best asset class compare to stock market , CD or business dividend yield in 2024" ? Then CD or debt lender could be better.

  • Member since 2021 · 401 posts · 254 votes
    2y
    Being a real estate forum, I think you'll confirm your bias here. And I'm not sure if Real Estate was ever the best asset class? If you don't leverage yourself with millions of debt, then real estate will probably just barely beat the bond market but with a lot more maintenance and risk.

    I did some quick math on a condo I purchased in cash 10 years ago for $140k. It has made me a total of $400k including my initial investment. Yet that same amount in the S&P500 would net 500k with zero maintenace or taxes. Of course I could reinvest the cashflow from the condo which would probably match the S&P 500 in my example but why when I can just set it and forget that the market approach provies. Lots of my colleages have retired off their long time market investments and are now traveling the world without owning a single home. Before someone says I forgot about leverage and gets upset, not many people leverage themselves. Most people just buy a property or two and regret it later. I just sold a condo to someone and it's back on the market 30 day slater for break even. You don't hear from them, you only hear from the people that like to brag about their passive income and leverage thus creating a phenomenom called survivorship bias. Ask this question on a stock forum and see what you get.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.