Are you receiving rents since lockdown?

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Salem, WI · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 20 votes
6y

Our company in Wisconsin has had to make changes very quickly to keep everything operating smoothly and we have stayed on top of every new development which allowed us to be pro-active since this started. 

So far we've done very well. We've only had less than 6 tenants with whom we've had to work with due to loss of jobs or bank account issues. I think one of the reasons we've been successful with rent collection both in April and May has been because of our communication with our tenants. We have been keeping them informed every step of the way through this and provided them with resources should they need assistance. Our attitude wasn't "PAY OR ELSE" it was "HOW CAN WE HELP YOU TO AVOID HIGH RENT BALANCES WHEN THIS IS OVER".  

See this reply in the discussion

124 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    6y

    @Daman Gandhi Yes, residential and commercial.

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Other threads on the same topic:

    LINK

    LINK

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 448 posts · 320 votes
    6y

    @Jose Chavira I just drove through Dodge City last week. Kansas...is a very looooong state!

  • Real Estate Syndicator · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 907 votes
    6y

    We were around 93% collected on average across our portfolio in April.  Hoping for a similar result in May!

  • Rental Property Investor · Reading, PA · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    Yes sir Berks county pa ,in fact we been getting earlier rent payments

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Steven Lowe yeah driving through Kansas is a good time to do some soul searching ha

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y
    We just have one property and got notice from the tenants, leaving by end of May.
  • Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    so far so good I have 2 duplex 1 is fully occupied both tenants have paid for May and are up to date my second is empty going through the screening process I don't feel that the covid 19 has affected me I'm just very strict in my process. 

    by the way I'm in Albany NY

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    So far so good with Georgia Properties.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    here in the Pittsburgh market we manage about 700 units in all price ranges so we have some really good data. In April we received 95% of our rents and in May so far the month is pretty good. We wont know the damage done in May till much later in the month. People are receiving stimulus checks and unemployment so thats helping. I do strongly believe if this goes on another month June wont look so good. Fingers crossed. I feel for some of the really hard hit markets like Vegas and all the vacation destinations.

  • Austin SharpPro Member
    Specialist · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I am investor in Amarillo with 28 properties, so far we received 100% of march and april rent, and it looks like most of may is solid
    I think this comes down the question of where consumers are spending their money
    Most are in a necessity mindset, ie rent, food, gas etc
    Landlords for sfr should be in  better shape than retail landlords etc

  • Alex AllevaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Mamaroneck, NY · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    I am lucky that my tenants have been paying. Sucks that I have had one vacant apt all year though...

  • Real Estate Agent · San Marcos, TX · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    I'm an agent and investor in Amarillo, and of all the other investors that I've talked to in the area, only 1 was at about 90%, but everyone else, including myself, is still pulling in 100%.

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Rental properties in NY (Long Island) which was hit hard. I have lower numbers, roughly 75% are paying. The (not so) funny thing is, these were problematic tenants in the first place, now they are just playing the game. It's just so unclear what the future is going to be like to recoup that lost income. Out Governor simply said - don't pay your rent and there will be no evictions for 90 days. Not fair to us at all.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Daman Gandhi:

    Are you receiving your rents since lockdown ? Any specific government advisories in your region?

    Of course.  Rent is still due man.  And with PPP, stimulus, enhanced unemployment, plus many (most) still working/employed, not to mention tons of charity options, there is little to no reason to simply skip rent.

    Though I tell any tenants that if they come up with an excuse that works for my lender and property tax to not charge me, or to convince my employees to work for free, I'll let them skip rent. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dan H.:

    Our rents:

    • March STR: $0 (Typical rent ~$15K)
    • March LTR 100% (paid before the stay at home edict)
    • April STR: $0 (typical rent ~$18K - helped by Easter week).
    • April LTR: 100% (I had forecast 85% so I was pleasantly surprised).
    • May STR forecast: Likely $0 (Typical ~$17K)
    • May LTR: just over 50% of tenants already which, with yesterday being a Sunday. is close to normal.  We have a unit empty (not Corona related, they purchased a home) so that unit does not count but may be harder to find a qualified tenant.  I am expecting rent of at least 85% of the LTR rented units.  This is what I forecast for April and we received 100% so I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised for the second month in a row.

    So far our long term tenants have come through.  

    The Short term market has vanished, at least for the San Diego beach areas.  I was there Saturday night to look at the bioluminescent waves (great - if you have never seen them, I recommend seeing them.  They should be around a little longer but they have already been here for a while) and virtually all of the Short term rental units were empty.  It was nice to be able to use the parking at our units, but I would rather have the rent.

    I went to la jolla last night to check out the bioluminescent.  Nothing there.  And the smell was terrible.  So I turned back and drove to PB.  Same.  Nothing.  But at least no smell.   I guess I missed it? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Aberdeen, NC · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Nope... Unfortunately Florida is still not allowing vacation rentals to rent out at the moment.

  • Investor · South Euclid, OH · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    100% our tenants paid in April and May. Two tenants lost their job and they both paid early. 

  • Investor · BILLINGS MT · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    i have 2 rental property's in montana so far my tenants have been great with no issues 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 73 votes
    6y

    Hi @Daman Gandhi good thread. Been thinking about posting one myself haha ;-) Seems like most who replied been getting rent. is it because those who did not are not replying? Would be instructive to see more of the other side. In my situation, April was almost fully paid, with one exception of a tenant who has been late for a few months now. But I'm already feeling the impact of this. One of my long term SFR tenants, who's been there since I bought the house years ago (and been such.a great tenant I have not spoken to the management company in at least 2 years maybe more), just gave out a 30 day notice. Based on a quick search it seems like that particular area doesn't have too many vacancies, so I hope to find someone new soon, but I would consider that to be a real impact, esp with such great tenant.

    Also, another thing that happened is a few months ago in another building the family of one of the tenants moved him out, but failed to vacate the unit (very unclear situation). That was pre-virus. It wasn't handled in a timely fashion by the then PM administrator (she left since), so I got stuck with a vacant yet un-relinquished unit, and with an eviction moratorium. 

    I also decided to not raise rent for anyone. Knowing that property taxes and insurance always go up, that's an issue as well.

    And we're just at the very early stages of this scenario. I'm glad that things have gone relatively good for most of my properties, as well as most people here, but it is a very concerning situation. Aside for the near term concerns, which may be mitigated, since as many here pointed out the government is doing things to help, the medium term could prove to be more challenging, with less employment opportunities and some areas that can get really hammered. 


    Thanks for the thread.

  • Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Gov Cuomo extends no evictions until August 20th how is that affecting 

     New York landlords?

  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    6y

    Yes, we reached out to our tenants early to see if they needed anything. We have a few struggling, but everyone has paid for April and have at least a partial payment for May. All single family. 

  • Sherbrooke Quebec, Canada · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    So far so good.   We're really fortunate that most of our tenants are retired so pension plans we're not too impacted for the time being despite the stock market crash. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    I had an interesting situation. Tenants couldn't pay rent on April 1 and so notice was sent to them along with a list of resources to help with financial assistance. It actually turned out they had genuine issues with their bank accounts being compromised. Issue was straightened out and ultimately got full rent payments for both April and May and everything has been fine since. It's times like these when I really appreciate having good tenants.  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ramon Copeland:

    Gov Cuomo extends no evictions until August 20th how is that affecting 

     New York landlords?

     wow, that's crazy.  I don't know many investors in CA or NY or any deep blue areas.  But I'd wonder the same thing..  How are they getting on w/o evictions?  I know in Houston, with the courts shut down, we have TONS of people that are 'taking advantage'.  People who are not paying that get government checks as their normal income (i.e., nothings changed for them and their ability to pay -- they're just not paying)

    If the govt said 'no evictions till aug' I might just give the keys to my bank and be done.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.