Why is Lumber so Expensive?

Why is Lumber so Expensive?

John LyszczykPro Member
Rental Property Investor ยท Marine City, MI ยท Member since 2016 ยท 145 posts ยท 230 votes

I noticed some BiggerPockets members asking about the rising cost in lumber and plywood, and given my background, I figured I wood (haha) weigh in on this subject. I currently work for a lumber company and I primarily sell to retail lumber yards, distributors, office wholesalers (jobbers) and General Contractors (GCs). We own several sawmills and treating facilties mainly in the midwest, but our services branch out nation wide. I primarily focus on a specific category called fire-retardant treated wood, which is found in all type 3 and 5 construction. This mostly entails the construction of multifamily housing, hospitals, schools, etc. However, I am exposed to different parts of the lumber business through one way or another.

Over the past few months we have experienced something that I have heard several veteran lumber traders call "unimaginable". Lumber and plywood pricing has sky rocketed to concerning levels.  GCs that were plan on framing this fall are already postponing construction until the market corrects itself. That means large multifamily and residential building is in a nationwide lull, and it's hard to say how long this will last. Below is my best (short) synopsis of how we got here today and how this effects us as Real Estate Investors.

The issues stemmed from the COVID shutdowns back in March when most construction projects were told to halt. The shutdowns did not include sawmills and treaters as we were deemed "essential" however, uncertainty lurked throughout the industry and many companies decided to lay off employees. Sawmills and treaters cut laborers to compensate for the anticipated lack of consumption and uncertainty within the business. 

Meanwhile, over 20 million people in America were gainfully unemployed as our lovely government started quantitative easing. Many of these Americans were making more money sitting at home on unemployment than actually working at their job they were "furloughed" from. This later made it difficult for sawmills and treaters to hire back a labor force. A large population of the country was forced into quarantine with a lot of time on their hands. In addition, they were given some bonus money (stimulus), and many people decided they wanted to build a deck. Seriously...it seemed like everyone in America decided to build a deck all at once.

The consumption started at the big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards) and Pressure Treated wood became the hottest commodity in the market. East coast building material suppliers and lumber yards were calling west coast treaters for Pressure Treated wood, and suppliers were buying it. Meanwhile, the big box stores started soaking up all the available fiber source in efforts to meet the growing demand. Order files extended  and suddenly the sawmills had to start producing more lumber and plywood. They slowly started their labor force back up and worked to meet demand, but little progress was made to increase supply.

Industry experts now grew concerned about the penned up demand from the construction shutdown. Just as the supply became scarce from the Pressure Treated lumber surge, construction started coming back as COVID restrictions were lifted. General contractors for large projects needed wood to continue and meet deadlines. As you can imagine, this generated more consumption as the growing demand cripple what was left of the existing supply. As a manufacturer, trader, or supplier, if you had wood on the ground you could sell for a PREMIUM. One year ago, the average price for general framing lumber was $2.88 per piece FOB the sawmill (composite average). Today, it is $6.56 per piece FOB the sawmill (composite average). One year ago, a truck of treated plywood cost $20,000, and today it costs $40,000. Prices have double the normal averages in just a matter of months. 

The craziest part is that there is no sign of it correcting itself anytime soon. It may be until the end of the year until we see some sort of market correction. Sawmill order files are extended out to October, but the buying still continues. PTS (Price at time of Shipment) orders are becoming more common. The demand isn't going away and everyone is growing more uncertain amid the record breaking run. 

What does this mean for Real Estate Investors? 

Most likely delayed projects and obviously the cost of building materials are going to rise. If you have a large renovation project you may want to evaluate your cost of materials before getting started. I can only imagine having to do a massive renovation project or addition that requires framing lumber. Yikes! 

The rising costs are mostly hurting new build residential and commercial construction. As for the projects expected to start in the fall, many GCs are shelving them until the start of the new year with hopes for improved purchasing conditions.

I would be curious to hear from other members to see if they have felt the impact of rising building material costs. I know that was long winded, but I hope it was insightful.  
  

93Reply
226 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant ยท Summerlin, NV ยท Member since 2014 ยท 45k+ posts ยท 66k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @Cody Muth:

@John Lyszczyk

John,

Where do you currently see lumber prices at and where would you say prices are headed?

Iโ€™ve talked to builders that are saying theyโ€™re seeing prices coming back down but a buddy of mine works in management at 84 lumber and heโ€™s saying theyโ€™re only rising and suspects lumber will continue to keep rising in price... Iโ€™m located in NC

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

I have 15 new constructions going right now.. so lumber is on our radar..  lumber packages including truss's were running 20 to 28k pre this run up now they are 45 to 60k.. I raised the price of my homes by 50k..  And buyers understand.. so we set the price so if lumber comes back to earth we will still keep the pricing and hopefully will pick up some delta.. 

One of the causes of lumber prices on west coast is the Tarrifs  this has been going on for a few decades.. I was a Log Supplier here in Oregon for about a decade the market moves constantly.. and there has been a ton of consolidation in the industry along with closing of some mills.

See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John LyszczykPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor ยท Marine City, MI ยท Member since 2016 ยท 145 posts ยท 230 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jeffery Callis:

    @John Lyszczyk

    As much as I would like to blame COVID and high demand for the rising prices.

    The price of materials has sky rocketed due to poor policies by the previous administration.

    Tariffs are not โ€œfree marketโ€ friendly and have caused materials to sky rocket.

    Now instead of having to compete with other companies.

    US material companies are now monopolies and charge what they want.

    Low inventory = high prices

    The difference in this situation is these companies are trying to make a quick buck with and drain builders & investors dry.

    IMO.

    Hey Jeffery,

    I'd like to start by saying I am not a Trump supporter and I am only speaking to what I know and that is the lumber/plywood industry. I cannot elaborate on the rising cost of other building materials in detail like I can with lumber and plywood.

    With that said, the lumber tariffs were imposed back in 2017 at 20-24% on all softwood lumber products imported from Canada. As you explained, this is in no way "free market" friendly, and they have without a doubt increased prices on Canadian lumber. However, not to the extreme that the "supply vs demand" dynamic has created. In 2018, we experienced historical volatility due to two hurricanes in the south and massive wildfires in the north. Prices spiked due to supply vs demand. In 2019, we experienced an extremely flat market without hardly any volatility as supply was abundant. Prices were low and so were profit margins. 

    Fast forward to present day, since March/April of 2020 the lumber prices have inflated beyond historical levels (beyond 2018 record levels). Composite average pricing is double or even triple to pre-COVID pricing. There has been a very real lack of supply and steady demand that stemmed from the events relating to the COVID pandemic (plandemic). To say "tariffs" are a direct result of our current market conditions would be false. The US Commerce department reduced the tariff from 20% to 9% as of December 1st, 2020. This reduction is good step forward, but it hasn't done anything to fix the supply/demand issue. In fact, I'm looking at Random Lengths (market resource) and lumber jumped another $30/m (average of items) again today. 

    I do agree there is blatant price gouging. People inventories are still turning at all levels of the supply chain. Are sawmills jacking prices right now? Yes. Are GCs and distributors pissed about it. Yes. That is definitely a reality. I cannot speak for other industries and the effects of tariffs imposed on those goods. I understand Trump hit Canada pretty hard with tariffs on multiple goods and I'm sure those prices rose as a result. We are in interesting times...  

  • Member since 2019 ยท 15 posts ยท 0 votes
    5y

    @Clay West I found this true in nc . I was told new windows are 12 weeks out

  • Samara HuntleyPro Member
    Investor ยท Charlotte, NC ยท Member since 2020 ยท 124 posts ยท 189 votes
    5y

    @John Lyszczyk it is as simple as supply and demand.

    As many remember, in the depression of 08 the housing market came to a complete stop for years. It took years for construction to slowly pick back up and really started to begin again around 2012. One could imagine the affect of construction completely stopping for years would have on the US housing supply. So, now, here we are YEARS behind with supply being lower than it has in all of history!

    However long it takes to get caught up on the supply we lost in the depression we will be at mercy of the mills, developers and sellers. Simply stated, as long as people are still buying, the prices will continue to rise.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire ยท Northeast, TN ยท Member since 2015 ยท 10k+ posts ยท 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Luka Milicevic:

    I'm late to this post it looks like.

    @John Lyszczyk I picked the perfect time to build a storage shed lol. 

    I'm a developer myself and it's painful how expensive wood is and how hard it is to come by.

    Something that no one is talking about though......at HD 2x4x8s are shorter now!!!!! I didn't notice this until I started building my storage shed at home and it fit into the back of my SUV way easier than it should have. Got home and measured and I mean I felt cheated! But such is the market right now!

     Are you sure you just didn't grab interior studs by accident? You can buy 92 5/8 framing studs (this saves time by not having to cut for the top and bottom plates) for interior framing. I've accidentally walked off with them before :) . I have seen the huge lumber increases but I haven't noticed anyone shaving the studs yet ๐Ÿคฃ




    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Lender ยท Chicago IL ยท Member since 2020 ยท 357 posts ยท 229 votes
    5y

    @John Lyszczyk 

    Fabulous thread and incredibly insightful. Thank you for sharing. One question remains that I only noticed 1 person address--is there something else we can use/find/develop to replace lumber? Maybe not in its entirety, for the whole project, but perhaps use a combination of materials that would otherwise not be considered but can/should now be revisited due to the current price gouging? My fiance/biz partner is a GC and I asked him this same question. Waiting to see what he comes up with. :) In the meantime I thought you might have some insight into alternatives that we (the public) are not yet aware of. Located in Chicago IL, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

    Jennie Berger

    Property People

  • John LyszczykPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor ยท Marine City, MI ยท Member since 2016 ยท 145 posts ยท 230 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jennie Berger:

    @John Lyszczyk 

    Fabulous thread and incredibly insightful. Thank you for sharing. One question remains that I only noticed 1 person address--is there something else we can use/find/develop to replace lumber? Maybe not in its entirety, for the whole project, but perhaps use a combination of materials that would otherwise not be considered but can/should now be revisited due to the current price gouging? My fiance/biz partner is a GC and I asked him this same question. Waiting to see what he comes up with. :) In the meantime I thought you might have some insight into alternatives that we (the public) are not yet aware of. Located in Chicago IL, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

    Jennie Berger

    Property People

     That's a tough question. Considering the five different types of construction include wood, steel and concrete as major components, I would say we are bound to these building components generally speaking. Lumber sales increase slightly when the cost of steel is high and vice versa. Typical for any commodity. When steel is up, it may be more cost effective to build with wood studs. When lumber is high, it may be more cost effective to build with steel studs. 

    I think we are going to see major developments in manufacturing that will speed up the process of how lumber is produced. As I mentioned earlier, the owner of our company just built a state-of-the-art sawmill that generates 300MM BF per year. This type of productivity has prompted him to build a second sawmill exactly like the original. It has also prompted several other much larger players to copy his sawmill build. The innovation is coming. 

    Moreover, I think there will also be more automation on the home building side selling direct to home buyers. Check out this company -> https://katerra.com/ They are a leader in building automation. This company is responding to the demand by building an entire house, office, apartment complex, etc. offsite and having it delivered to be assembled like Legos haha. It's pretty cool. Definitely something we are going to see more of. 

    To answer your question, I don't think we will necessarily have a substitute for wood, but there are developments in place to increase supply and drive costs down. The trend for wood construction is on the rise.  A recent report on the North American mass timber market projects that the number of mass timber buildings could double every two years. By 2034, there would be new demand for 12.9 billion board feet of lumber! There are currently over 500 mass timber buildings under construction or planned to be built. Pretty crazy!



     

  • Contractor ยท Grand Marais, MN ยท Member since 2016 ยท 249 posts ยท 417 votes
    5y
    We will likely be making more than your doctor,, because there is no one else coming to help. Supply and demand.  This only exacerbates the wealth gap. America literally has no idea what's coming. When the shortage gets severe enough, the hacks will move in, which only makes the problem worse.


    Originally posted by @John Lyszczyk:
    Originally posted by @Matt Groth:
    "Disinterested " is putting it mildly. I'm in a small town, but the youngest plumber is in his 50s. I am small time, looking for the right fit, so am admittedly picky, but I don't need 10. I'm looking for 1. Have offered promising kids 25 to 30 bucks an hour to start...no dice.  Not looking for a warm body, a kid with ambition. Starting a hard worker at 25, is way cheaper than a space filler at 15. The wealth gap is going to get immensely wider. If my guidance counselor in high school knew what I was doing, he would be mortified. I have a 4 year degree...
    I know how the educational system works, and it has only gotten worse.  Construction is beneath most kids..

    Originally posted by @John Lyszczyk:
    Originally posted by @Matt Groth:

    Hey Matt, 

    I'm curious about your labor shortage comment. We are experiencing labor struggles in the lumber industry as well. COVID still seems to be having an effect on treating manufacturers and sawmills. 

    My question(s) for you as a GC, what do you think is the reason for the labor shortage? Are younger generations disinterested in the trades?
     

    That is sad, but reaffirms what I've been hearing from others. Younger generations want to be "content creators" or a "Youtuber" on the internet these days. Swinging a hammer is not glamorous enough apparently. Makes me wonder how all these homes are going to get built lol. The trades are going to be in an interesting position as time moves on.

  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    Investor ยท Skagit County, WA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 1k+ posts ยท 807 votes
    5y

    @Jennie Berger I hear of more people looking into ICF construction. ICF = Insulated concrete forms

  • Member since 2020 ยท 1 post ยท 2 votes
    5y
    Just a note to all that are contributing to this thread....a HUGE thank you.  I've been in the real estate investing segment for a while, but I'm relatively new to the BP website.  This info has been incredibly helpful for a rehab that we are just launching.  
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant ยท Summerlin, NV ยท Member since 2014 ยท 45k+ posts ยท 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Lyszczyk:
    Originally posted by @Jennie Berger:

    @John Lyszczyk 

    Fabulous thread and incredibly insightful. Thank you for sharing. One question remains that I only noticed 1 person address--is there something else we can use/find/develop to replace lumber? Maybe not in its entirety, for the whole project, but perhaps use a combination of materials that would otherwise not be considered but can/should now be revisited due to the current price gouging? My fiance/biz partner is a GC and I asked him this same question. Waiting to see what he comes up with. :) In the meantime I thought you might have some insight into alternatives that we (the public) are not yet aware of. Located in Chicago IL, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

    Jennie Berger

    Property People

     That's a tough question. Considering the five different types of construction include wood, steel and concrete as major components, I would say we are bound to these building components generally speaking. Lumber sales increase slightly when the cost of steel is high and vice versa. Typical for any commodity. When steel is up, it may be more cost effective to build with wood studs. When lumber is high, it may be more cost effective to build with steel studs. 

    I think we are going to see major developments in manufacturing that will speed up the process of how lumber is produced. As I mentioned earlier, the owner of our company just built a state-of-the-art sawmill that generates 300MM BF per year. This type of productivity has prompted him to build a second sawmill exactly like the original. It has also prompted several other much larger players to copy his sawmill build. The innovation is coming. 

    Moreover, I think there will also be more automation on the home building side selling direct to home buyers. Check out this company -> https://katerra.com/ They are a leader in building automation. This company is responding to the demand by building an entire house, office, apartment complex, etc. offsite and having it delivered to be assembled like Legos haha. It's pretty cool. Definitely something we are going to see more of. 

    To answer your question, I don't think we will necessarily have a substitute for wood, but there are developments in place to increase supply and drive costs down. The trend for wood construction is on the rise.  A recent report on the North American mass timber market projects that the number of mass timber buildings could double every two years. By 2034, there would be new demand for 12.9 billion board feet of lumber! There are currently over 500 mass timber buildings under construction or planned to be built. Pretty crazy!

    I have a home I am building jsut north of Orlando.. the walls are all cinder block.. you still frame the interior to hang sheet rock but that limits the lumber. and preliminary numbers look really good for that style of construciton.

  • Flipper/Rehabber ยท Camas, WA ยท Member since 2020 ยท 11 posts ยท 9 votes
    5y

    @John Lyszczyk

    Thank you for the explanation. Yes, this hurts a lot as a GC. I know that I am turning my work focus to something different until we see a correction.

  • Contractor ยท St. Charles, MN ยท Member since 2016 ยท 36 posts ยท 20 votes
    5y

    @John Lyszczyk - Thank you for this! I'm a small General Contractor up here in Minnesota and have definitely felt the price increases. It's hard to say how people are reacting to it because it doesn't seem to be affecting our project requests. I mean we're booking out next fall already. At some point, things will, in fact, become too expensive and we'll be the first to feel that, unfortunately. I can only pray for a correction here soon.

    Have you (or anyone) noticed a jump for more premium products as a result? I'm adding on to my own home currently - we bought my wife's great-grandmothers house (who passed away back in 2011) at the beginning of 2020 and because it had to go through probate to be sold, we ended up finally closing on it in late September with a construction loan on it, effectively handcuffing us to these insane prices, while budgeting for the prices that were current in March of 2020. So as I look to buy framing lumber I've considered making the slight price jump to the LP WeatherLogic being that it's essentially the same price for OSB up here but definitely a better product. Not sure if the demand has hit it yet and will cause a run on it soon or if most people still are trying to save a few bucks anywhere they can. Just curious as to what you may be seeing at your level of the supply chain.

    Again, thanks for this awesome post and have a great day!

    Justin

  • John LyszczykPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor ยท Marine City, MI ยท Member since 2016 ยท 145 posts ยท 230 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Justin Puetz:

    @John Lyszczyk - Thank you for this! I'm a small General Contractor up here in Minnesota and have definitely felt the price increases. It's hard to say how people are reacting to it because it doesn't seem to be affecting our project requests. I mean we're booking out next fall already. At some point, things will, in fact, become too expensive and we'll be the first to feel that, unfortunately. I can only pray for a correction here soon.

    Have you (or anyone) noticed a jump for more premium products as a result? I'm adding on to my own home currently - we bought my wife's great-grandmothers house (who passed away back in 2011) at the beginning of 2020 and because it had to go through probate to be sold, we ended up finally closing on it in late September with a construction loan on it, effectively handcuffing us to these insane prices, while budgeting for the prices that were current in March of 2020. So as I look to buy framing lumber I've considered making the slight price jump to the LP WeatherLogic being that it's essentially the same price for OSB up here but definitely a better product. Not sure if the demand has hit it yet and will cause a run on it soon or if most people still are trying to save a few bucks anywhere they can. Just curious as to what you may be seeing at your level of the supply chain.

    Again, thanks for this awesome post and have a great day!

    Justin

     Hey Justin,

    Looks like the LP Weatherlogic is made as a water resistant OSB Struct 1 sheathing. The cost of standard OSB has increased along with regular CDX plywood. Both are the most commonly used in the industry. "Struct 1" however is a stronger and more durable panel. It has better strength design factors than regular CDX (rated) sheathing or OSB. It's a specialty product that typically takes longer to make because of the design requirements for cross panel strength and stiffness properties.With that said, I'm sure this would still be affected by the supply/demand issues as it is tied to the availability of OSB Struct 1. Check on the lead time for it. I think you're decision to pay a little more for the better product is wise, but you may have to wait. Fingers crossed they may have some in stock!   

  • Flipper/Rehabber ยท Phoenix Arizona ยท Member since 2020 ยท 1k+ posts ยท 686 votes
    5y

    As a pretty active contractor, flipping properties here in Phoenix I have noticed when I go to Lowes and Home Depot that several contractors are buying the seconds.  ( it is marked down materials that can be bought at 30 Percent of cost).  The material is either twisted or damaged and as a contractor I know how to fix the issue and use the product.  Especially if it is going to be covered with sheet rock , sheeting etc.  It takes a little more thought and skills to use them but it works.

    Crazy market, supply for materials at some stores are empty and window orders are now out 7 weeks at best.  

    The said part about everything is that the cost goes to the end buyer,  The contractor, builder, just ups their price and keeps working!

    I think the solution is for someone to create a product that bi passes lumber. Such as cement cast, plastic.  There is enough extra plastic to build cities!  I know 15 years ago that there was a big push to acquire the plastic in the ocean by several business men.  To build houses out of the product.

    I think their Ego's got in the way and it did not monopolize.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Phoenix, AZ ยท Member since 2016 ยท 553 posts ยท 314 votes
    5y

    If you want to reduce your construction costs, look up advanced framing. Most framers use way more lumber than the building actually needs to hold the roof up

  • Member since 2019 ยท 4 posts ยท 5 votes
    5y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    In Georgia , lumber has done the same. 9$ sheets of plywood are 26$ now. Suppliers are hurting here for 2x10s and 2x12s. Even though this state is pine rich the manufacturing seems to be in no hurry ( at least until the housing market cools off).

    Meanwhile, Iโ€™ll go look for land and see what is available on the pre-construction side.

  • Member since 2019 ยท 4 posts ยท 5 votes
    5y

    @Ciarraghe G.

    As a full time remodeler and home builder , I feel your pain. For me , like the great drywall drought of 2004? I ended up building a home for an importer of โ€œ drywallโ€. He sold me drywall for a third of the price ,when there was none anywhere around . Maybe I was blessed, but it taught me to seek out others in the industry. Start asking ,and start comparing. Like fracking, wealth hides in the cracks and the smallest of places.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท East Wenatchee, WA ยท Member since 2014 ยท 10k+ posts ยท 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @David Avery:

    Crazy market, supply for materials at some stores are empty and window orders are now out 7 weeks at best.  

    I think the solution is for someone to create a product that bi passes lumber. Such as cement cast, plastic.  There is enough extra plastic to build cities!  I know 15 years ago that there was a big push to acquire the plastic in the ocean by several business men.  To build houses out of the product.

    I'm just a bad handyman that makes his living salvaging what is there, but I agree with this question.

    What about alternative and synthetic products?  If 5/4 deck planks are like gold, what about treck and others?  Pre-fab stuff? Metal studs?  Sheeting alternatives? 

    There is a difference between price and cost. Divide the price by the lifespan of the product to get cost. 

    I'm glad the lumber industry is getting shook up, honestly.  Innovation will follow.  Like fat and happy oil co's that got rocked by fracking and electric cars, lumber folks will get what for if they continue to take advantage. Let the innovation and creativity begin!

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Upstate, NY ยท Member since 2012 ยท 3k+ posts ยท 3k+ votes
    5y

    Even the culled scrap Lowes & HD are tossing out @ 70% off is still higher than studs a year ago... & its picked over & gone an hour after opening the store.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.