PM or no PM

PM or no PM

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote

I’m looking to rent out my home in a month or two. But I’m not sure whether to go with a PM or just do it myself. 

The house is located in a relatively nice neighborhood near universities and plaza. I’m expecting 2.5 to 3k rent. 
should I assume that I will get stable and easier tenants?

I don’t mind paying for a PM. But I don’t know what value they will add and how to find a good one. I have no interest in managing the manager. 

I also know that KCMO have the tenant bill of rights. Not sure if this makes the city less favorable to landlords. 

I would love to get some advise. 

1Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
1y

I think KCMO is considered a landlord-friendly location.

A professional property manager can significantly improve an investor's life by streamlining operations, maximizing profitability, and reducing stress. Here are just 10 ways they add value:

  1. Tenant Screening & Placement: A professional manager screens hundreds, maybe thousands of applications per year. They are far better at tenant selection than the average landlord that screens a few people per year.
  2. Efficient Rent Collection & Enforcement: I spend a ridiculous amount of time answering questions from investors that have no idea how to handle late rent, unpaid rent, and other pay issues. A good PM is efficient with solid policies in place that enable them to act quickly and prevent things from getting out of hand.
  3. Legal Compliance & Risk Management: A good PM knows the law and protects you by obeying it. They have solid lease agreements designed to protect you, your income, and your property.
  4. Property Maintenance & Repairs: They have a network of vetted, licensed, insured contractors that can respond quickly and do the job right the first time.
  5. Minimizing Vacancy & Maximizing Occupancy: Their marketing reduces vacancy time. Their services increase the odds of tenants renewing and staying longer.
  6. Handling Evictions & Problem Tenants: A good PM handles problems quickly and efficiently. I manage 400 rentals and have only evicted one tenant through court in the last ten years. When a tenant causes problems, I can remove them six ways from Sunday, typically much faster than the courts could do it.
  7. Financial Management & Reporting: It may seem small, but accurate accounting is important and not in the tool box of most investors.
  8. Market Knowledge & Rental Rate Optimization: Understanding the market is critical to maximizing returns. The PM will know more about rent rates and trends, ensuring your property is rented for top dollar. Many of my landlords saw income increases after hiring me because I brought them up to market rates.
  9. Time & Stress Savings for Investors: A PM will handle the work so your time is free to focus on family, hobbies, growing your portfolio, etc. You won't get calls at 11:30pm on a Saturday reporting heat is out when the temperatures are -17 degrees.
  10. Increased Long-Term Property Value: "Nobody will care about my property better than me!" This is a common fallacy. In my experience, most mom-and-pop investors lose a lot of money due to poor management of tenants, as well as poor/deferred maintenance. A good PM protects your monthly income and your overall property value.

A skilled property manager will protect your property, income, time, and sanity. Doing it yourself will work, but it takes education, time, and effort to achieve success.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    1y

    Are you going to continue to live close by?  If so I would manage it your self.  It is very hard to find good property management companies.   I have run a few.  The employees that are good migrate to better paying jobs.  The bad ones stuck around.  People will not care as much about your house as you do.  Tenants also prefer private landlords.  You can do 10 pretty easy on your own.   You need a good handy man or fix stuff yourself.  

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y

    I think KCMO is considered a landlord-friendly location.

    A professional property manager can significantly improve an investor's life by streamlining operations, maximizing profitability, and reducing stress. Here are just 10 ways they add value:

    1. Tenant Screening & Placement: A professional manager screens hundreds, maybe thousands of applications per year. They are far better at tenant selection than the average landlord that screens a few people per year.
    2. Efficient Rent Collection & Enforcement: I spend a ridiculous amount of time answering questions from investors that have no idea how to handle late rent, unpaid rent, and other pay issues. A good PM is efficient with solid policies in place that enable them to act quickly and prevent things from getting out of hand.
    3. Legal Compliance & Risk Management: A good PM knows the law and protects you by obeying it. They have solid lease agreements designed to protect you, your income, and your property.
    4. Property Maintenance & Repairs: They have a network of vetted, licensed, insured contractors that can respond quickly and do the job right the first time.
    5. Minimizing Vacancy & Maximizing Occupancy: Their marketing reduces vacancy time. Their services increase the odds of tenants renewing and staying longer.
    6. Handling Evictions & Problem Tenants: A good PM handles problems quickly and efficiently. I manage 400 rentals and have only evicted one tenant through court in the last ten years. When a tenant causes problems, I can remove them six ways from Sunday, typically much faster than the courts could do it.
    7. Financial Management & Reporting: It may seem small, but accurate accounting is important and not in the tool box of most investors.
    8. Market Knowledge & Rental Rate Optimization: Understanding the market is critical to maximizing returns. The PM will know more about rent rates and trends, ensuring your property is rented for top dollar. Many of my landlords saw income increases after hiring me because I brought them up to market rates.
    9. Time & Stress Savings for Investors: A PM will handle the work so your time is free to focus on family, hobbies, growing your portfolio, etc. You won't get calls at 11:30pm on a Saturday reporting heat is out when the temperatures are -17 degrees.
    10. Increased Long-Term Property Value: "Nobody will care about my property better than me!" This is a common fallacy. In my experience, most mom-and-pop investors lose a lot of money due to poor management of tenants, as well as poor/deferred maintenance. A good PM protects your monthly income and your overall property value.

    A skilled property manager will protect your property, income, time, and sanity. Doing it yourself will work, but it takes education, time, and effort to achieve success.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Most owners can handle a couple of properties on their own until the tenant stops paying, there is an eviction, or the tenant becomes difficult. If you feel that you are knowledgeable and resourceful enough than you do not need a PM.

  • Property Manager · Oviedo, FL · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    @Ayyoub Aj

    I encourage you to consider the list of things on Nathan’s post and think about whether you have the skill set to do them all. Not just “do I have the time” but also the temperament and skill set. A good PM can often get higher rent to offset their cost because they manage at arms length compared to the owner who may be worried about charging market because it’s “too high”.

  • Property Manager · Nashville, TN · Member since 2025 · 66 posts · 35 votes
    1y

    Should You Hire a Property Manager or Self-Manage?

    Hi Ayyoub,

    Since your rental is in a nice area near universities and plazas, you may attract stable tenants, but that doesn’t mean managing will be hassle-free. Here’s what to consider:

    1. What Value Does a PM Add?

    ✔ Tenant Screening & Leasing – PMs handle background checks, marketing, and lease signing, reducing the risk of bad tenants.
    ✔ Rent Collection & Legal Compliance – They enforce leases, handle late payments, and navigate local landlord-tenant laws (like KCMO’s Tenant Bill of Rights) to keep you compliant.
    ✔ Maintenance & Repairs – PMs coordinate repairs with vetted vendors, avoiding late-night emergencies.
    ✔ Time & Stress Savings – If you don’t want to handle calls, disputes, or turnovers, a PM is worth it.

    2. Should You Self-Manage?

    ✅ If you live nearby, understand local laws, and have the time, self-managing can save you money.
    ⚠ But screening tenants, handling repairs, and enforcing leases takes effort—especially if you have no experience.

    3. Finding a Good Property Manager

    ✔ Ask for referrals from local investors or real estate agents.
    ✔ Check BiggerPockets & Google reviews for highly rated PMs.
    ✔ Interview multiple companies – Ask about fees, eviction processes, maintenance handling, and communication.
    ✔ Avoid “set and forget” managers – A good PM should be proactive and transparent with reporting and tenant relations.

    4. KCMO Tenant Bill of Rights – Should It Affect Your Decision?

    Yes, Kansas City has tenant-friendly laws, including:

    • Stricter eviction processes
    • Landlords required to meet certain habitability standards
    • More tenant protections against retaliation

    If you’re unfamiliar with local laws, a PM can help navigate compliance and avoid costly mistakes.

    Final Thought:

    If you prefer a hands-off investment, a good PM is worth the cost—just vet them carefully. If you enjoy direct involvement and have time to manage, self-management can work.

  • International · Member since 2023 · 120 posts · 20 votes
    1y

    Self managing is never a good idea. Simply put you know what you know when you don't know what you don't know, no offense, but most people don't realize it until they get too deep in it to be able to facilitate and then they are flailing and desperately in search of a PM and then they get into bed with a bad one. That can lead to an even worse experience. Do your due diligence now while you have the time, find somebody local in boots on the ground, and make good use of your resources in time available. That's my advice.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Contrary to popular belief on these forums, a GOOD PM will save you money and headaches, not the other way around. 

    I could go in to all kinds of details with the horror stories I've seen, but I'll let BP do the work for me. I'd challenge you to scroll through the forums here to see all of the self managers who are dealing with nightmare tenants and situations in order to save a few bucks per month on PM. Although it's possible, most new investors don't have the skills, resources or network to effectively self manage. 

    As a matter of fact, I just posted on another thread by a self manager who is being constantly harrassed by their tenant in retailition for a very minor rent increase. That's a small problem, but what about tenants who are professionals and know the laws better than their landlords? They can smell an opportunity from a mile away. 

    Look at PM like homeowner's insurance- it seems like you are wasting money until your house burns down, they you'll be happy you "wasted" money on those premiums for years. 

    Your time is the most valueable asset you have- use it to find deals and make more money, not negotiating with your tenant over lightbulb installations. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ayyoub Aj:

    I’m looking to rent out my home in a month or two. But I’m not sure whether to go with a PM or just do it myself. 

    The house is located in a relatively nice neighborhood near universities and plaza. I’m expecting 2.5 to 3k rent. 
    should I assume that I will get stable and easier tenants?

    I don’t mind paying for a PM. But I don’t know what value they will add and how to find a good one. I have no interest in managing the manager. 

    I also know that KCMO have the tenant bill of rights. Not sure if this makes the city less favorable to landlords. 

    I would love to get some advise. 


     I'd use a PM unless you were doing this full time and had a portfolio of rentals. KC can get tricky with tenants and the eviction process so having a PM who knows the lay of the land is worth it. Sure you can learn self managing but I wouldn't want to learn while losing $$

  • Investor · NV and CA · Member since 2016 · 373 posts · 227 votes
    1y

    @Ayyoub Aj - As someone who invests in the Kansas City market, I've seen how the landlord tenant laws have gotten more complicated over the years. The laws favor the tenants and they change frequently. This isn't something I've been able to keep up with personally, so I hire property managers who rely on legal counsel to keep up with it. If you had to hire an attorney on your own to advise you on this stuff, that makes the self-managing rather expensive. 

    As others have noted above, you could easily get overwhelmed if you try to self-manage. If you need recommendations for property managers, feel free to reach out.

  • Property Manager · Eastern Region, US · Member since 2023 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    There's a lot of great advice here, but a lot of this depends on your own time management, your drive, and what you're looking to get out of this. I would talk with someone who's spent a good deal of time self-managing. You can see from the posts above how much goes into it - for some, this is a borderline full-time job they love and it feeds them. For others, the slice of profit you give up to automate the whole thing is MORE than worth it. One thing I wouldn't do is jump into "giving it a try" without the eyes-on advice of a current self-managing owner. 

  • Member since 2022 · 186 posts · 192 votes
    1y

    I always am perplexed by this question. I have sfh that I manage. I probably spend an hour a year there. That includes changing filters, lease agreements, walkthroughs. So my understanding is simple. 
      I usually hear a property manager can handle the following things. They can screen tenants and place them, they can handle repairs, they can deal with evictions, they can handle rent collections, they can handle laws.For 10% and a months rent they can deal with this.  This all sounds amazing to me. 
    But in my short four years of owing a property here is my thoughts. Rent Redi or many other apps can screen tenants including criminal, eviction, and income verification along with credit checks. They also handle rent collections. This ain’t 1985 where we go pick up checks. Online payment. If there is a repair needed I can either do it(some may not be as handy) or I can call a skilled trade guy. If they are handling evictions then maybe they are not doing a good job of screening. Paying someone to fix thier mistake seems odd to me. I payed you to place a good tenant because of your skill,experience,and knowledge. But you failed on that so you want me to pay you to get rid of a problem that you created. I guess I’m loss. If I had a bunch of houses and hired a plumber to fix a leak in the first house and he “fixed it” then six months his method fails. I am not gonna pay him to come out and fix his mistake. Then hire him to “fix”plumbing in another house. It’s absurd to pay someone who fails at thier job to correct thier problem. I guess if I get big and get constant calls maybe I will fire myself and hire someone to run it. I just try to see problems and correct them before it’s major.i do the same thing for machines at work my autos and my house.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    If you’re in a good area just self manage. Here on north side Chicago I even have out of state clients self managing. It’s very easy as tenants pay like clock work electronically and are very reasonable for scheduling repairs. I also have a building though in a low income suburb and that place is 10x the work and I kind of want to find a manager for it. So really depends tenant class. 

  • Member since 2025 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    Given it's a single property for now, until you grow your portfolio to 5+ properties, I would self-manage

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Ayyoub Aj go ahead and DIY manage.

    You'll either live with the phone calls and headaches or you'll want to hire a PMC eventually.

    Once you hire a PMC, you WILL have to "manage the manager". 
    - It's part of owning rental real estate. Otherwise, you'll get ripped off or lose money via honest mistakes.

    Then you'll want to sell.

    @Matthew Becker your posts never have anything good to say about PMCs. 
    - Yet, here you're posting that good employees leave PMCs for better paying jobs. MAYBE if owners like yourself weren't so cheap, PMCs could afford to pay their best employees more to keep them:)

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Boise, ID · Member since 2020 · 83 posts · 87 votes
    1y

    A great PM makes life a dream. A bad PM, makes it a nightmare. Fees kill.

    Make sure to do lots of interviews to see who is good.

  • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Michael Smythe:

    @Ayyoub Aj go ahead and DIY manage.

    You'll either live with the phone calls and headaches or you'll want to hire a PMC eventually.

    Once you hire a PMC, you WILL have to "manage the manager". 
    - It's part of owning rental real estate. Otherwise, you'll get ripped off or lose money via honest mistakes.

    Then you'll want to sell.

    @Matthew Becker your posts never have anything good to say about PMCs. 
    - Yet, here you're posting that good employees leave PMCs for better paying jobs. MAYBE if owners like yourself weren't so cheap, PMCs could afford to pay their best employees more to keep them:)


     It has nothing to do with what people are willing to pay.  Generally PMC's charge between 7% and 10%.   An owner being cheap does not have anything to do with the fees you charge.  I ran a giant PMC in Boulder CO when I was young.  We charged 10% plus 25% leasing fee which was above market.  Owners paid it because I treated the property like it was my own.   Now I have one just for my own properties.  My PM makes $90K a year plus bonuses.  I just built him a custom home for his family and financed it for him so he could own his own home.   But if I tried to scale the issue would be retaining the person under him.  As you probably know it takes a year for someone to be usefull and more for them to be good at what they do.  It is a hard job I did it for 15 years until I made enough money to just invest.  I have always invested in places that are expensive to live.  In Detroit they give houses away for $1 because it is a crap hole.  Where I live they cost $500K for a starter home which is not expensive but it is a lot for a person who make $50K.   In order for people to own a house and have a family they need to make six figures.  So retention is difficult.  The fees you collect just can't make enough money to pay several people over $100K .   A self managed PMC can do it because they don't have all the owners to deal with so it is more efficient and you can pay people more.   That is my take on things.  I have nothing good to say about Detroit either but who does except agents or PM telling people it is a good place to invest.  There is no reason to hire a PM for 2 properties unless you are a high level earner and it is a waste of your time.  New people should learn to fix stuff, do leasing themselves and grind it out so they understand the business.   

  • Property Manager · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 21 votes
    1y

    Hi @Ayyoub Aj, 

    I just posted a response to a very similar inquiry from another forum conversation titled..."Advise for managing property out of state". 

    As a property manager, based on my conversations with our clients, below is a condensed version of what we hear most (in relation to PM in Chicago): 

    "- Passing on the load so that you can be more present and attentive to your family (edit: and other responsibilities) and not be essentially working 24/7, on-call for the needs of tenants and property emergencies... can be worth the management fees.

    -Being able to give your tenants the professional experience of timely responses, quick attention to maintenance, using the on-hand already vetted roster of vendors, providing a sense of formal hospitality and customer service... can be worth the management fees.

    - Staying compliant with various tenant laws and fair housing policies is also a big factor I hear a lot. Some of our owners have accidentally thought they were handing a situation "right", and because Chicago is a very tenant friendly city, the laws tend to lean in their favor, and it can cost you a lot if you are simply just not up to date on what is proper protocol (for example, what to say, what not to say, what to have in writing, and what not to put in writing, etc)... can be worth the management fees.

    -Maintaining your anonymity! Being able to create separation between you and the tenant, can be very liberating; you have an opportunity to stay "the nice guy", while your management company absorbs all the hard conversations, and enforces the rules... can be worth the management fees.

    -Rent collection and financial management is probably not at the top of the list based on some of the challenges that we hear about, mainly because if you are lucky enough to have solid tenants and low vacancy, this is easy peasy, but if you have some challenging tenants that default on payments, or the possibility of an eviction arises, it can be worth paying a management company to help guide next steps."

    Hope this provides some insight and points to consider on your journey to making a decision. 

    All the best, 

  • Gallatin, TN · Member since 2024 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    I highly recommend considering the points Nathan has brought to the table while you are making your decision. A good question to ask is "what is my time worth?" Do you have the time to cater to the tenants at a moments notice? What do you do if you are on vacation, and an emergency happens at the property? Is the answer "I never take a vacation"? Does not seem like a fun way to live. Time is finite. Money is not. Having a trusted advisor (PM) to take care of all of the little things that go in to managing a property is a huge benefit that can save you time and money. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Thanks everyone for the great answers and recommendation. I appreciate you taking the taking to sharing your knowledge.

    We decided to go with a local property manager. After weighing our options, it seemed the best approach. I certainly don't want to do this full time or part time.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ayyoub Aj:

    I’m looking to rent out my home in a month or two. But I’m not sure whether to go with a PM or just do it myself. 

    The house is located in a relatively nice neighborhood near universities and plaza. I’m expecting 2.5 to 3k rent. 
    should I assume that I will get stable and easier tenants?

    I don’t mind paying for a PM. But I don’t know what value they will add and how to find a good one. I have no interest in managing the manager. 

    I also know that KCMO have the tenant bill of rights. Not sure if this makes the city less favorable to landlords. 

    I would love to get some advise. 


     If you've gotta ask, then yes you need a PM.

  • Jake KnightPro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 146 votes
    1y

    Your time is a huge factor in this, Nathan has a great post above that provides in fine detail here. Can you stomach being on call if the tenant has an issue?  I would at minimum interview a couple of companies to see if they're a good fit.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 235 posts · 107 votes
    1y

    I would rent yourself because; you are local and you know the area well.

    PM's are great for out of state investors or investors with large portfolios who have very limited time and resources

    Unfortunately, You nailed it on the head with "managing the manager..." While there are great PMs out there, none of them will care about your property in the same way you will.

    The new FEDS just ended the KC mayor's 'income discrimination ban' from last year, along with their 'tenant bill of rights,' so you can place a tenant with pre-screening and without worries of being fined if you dont follow their tenant placing 'script' and my understanding is you can now screen based on vouchers ALTHOUGH of course always do your own research and consult an attorney yaddah yaddah yaddah blah blah blah ...this is in regard to KCMO proper. The 'surrounds' have maintained normal tenant processes for the most part.

    I know lots of folks are pushing you for a PM, but if you are eager to learn and do some research and put alot of energy into placing a great tenant with background checks and vetting their references, etc, managing your own properties can be a great way to learn. but if you have a low pain tolerance and are limited on time, Id go PM route

  • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 461 posts · 250 votes
    1y

    Hi Ayyoub in Kansas City, Missouri-

    Congratulations on being in a position to rent your home in a month or two.

    You wonder whether to use a property manager or not.

    Frankly, the property manager is one of the most important people on your real estate team. They should be your partner and working to add value, increase rents, and reduce costly tenant turnover. They also will keep you compliant with Fair Housing laws and local regulations.

    The biggest reason I see people not continue to scale or benefit from investing in real estate is trying to self manage and getting burned out.

    Make your investment as passive as possible with a property manager.

    To Your Success!

  • Property Manager · Las Vegas · Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Sounds like you made the right choice! Hiring a local property manager can save you a lot of time, stress, and potential legal headaches, especially in a market like KCMO with evolving tenant laws.

    A good PM isn’t just about handling maintenance calls—they should optimize rent pricing, screen tenants thoroughly, and ensure lease enforcement so you don’t have to. The key is finding the right one. Make sure they have a solid local reputation, transparent fees, and proactive communication.

    If you ever want to evaluate their performance down the road, keep an eye on vacancy rates, rent collection efficiency, and overall tenant satisfaction. Wishing you a smooth and profitable rental experience!

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    I self manage 29 SFR and it's easy. I have a full time W2 and find managing rentals doesn't take up much of my time. Maybe 2 hours a month at the most? And 10 houses are out of state. If something breaks, they text me. I text someone to go fixes it and cash app them the $. Done. My rentals are under market rent so people stay with me for many years saving me a ton of $ on turnovers. I list them on Zillow for free and usually find new tenants within 48 hours.

    • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
      1y
      Quote from @John Morgan:

      I self manage 29 SFR and it's easy. I have a full time W2 and find managing rentals doesn't take up much of my time. Maybe 2 hours a month at the most? And 10 houses are out of state. If something breaks, they text me. I text someone to go fixes it and cash app them the $. Done. My rentals are under market rent so people stay with me for many years saving me a ton of $ on turnovers. I list them on Zillow for free and usually find new tenants within 48 hours.

      I agree with John 20 to 30 units is pretty straightforward.  If you build to 50 at some point, you can hire a part-time or later full-time person to manage as you grow. The right person can fix, manage, and pay bills; It can be a great part-time or full-time job for someone.  You don't need an office.  Get a good app to do the paperwork if you have 30 units at $2K monthly.  $60K x 8% management $4800.  You can pay someone part-time for $30HR, and they will be ecstatic to get that kind of money.  Before I grew past it, I had a single mom working part-time, doing everything and making more money than she had. I have slowly built up a team of people from this model into a company that manages my properties. We collect $150K a month in rent.  That will increase by $100K in the next 18 Months.  A construction company that builds out $10M a year.  If I had a management company, I would spend 20K a month for someone to do a lousy job.  Instead, my one office person makes double what local PMs make: $8K monthly as a PM working out of a garage/office.  We take a college kid for the summer to help with leasing and turns.  This is quite an easy business to scale.   Keep it small; keep it all.  
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.