HELP!!! Need help Self-Managing my soon to be new property

HELP!!! Need help Self-Managing my soon to be new property

Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes

I am closing on my first investment duplex property in two weeks in Ohio area, i live 3 states away. I have received about 15+ bad review from landlords about property manager in the area and how they do a terrible job and ghost their landlord, lose future tenants and just nightmare review so i am thinking about self-managing as an out of state investor to see if i can do it. Is it doable?  Am i in over my head. One unit is occupied with a year lease and the other unit tenant will be moving out in May.

What Property management software tools do you use that works best for you?? I was looking into RentRedi, Doorloop, Baselane, Landlordstudio and appfolio softwares. Also, I am looking into hiring a local boots on the ground person and a maintenance/handyman for maintenance needs.

I like baselane so far but i dont want their bank account, i like the credit union bank that i currently have and will like to keep it. but i heard to get the full experience with baselane, you may have to get a baselane affiliated bank with them...idk. I like Rentredi and doorloop too

Has anyone successfully self managed as a Out of state investor and what systems did you create that works best for you. Or should i just get a property manager for 10% and hope for the best. This will be my first property so i am trying to make the best decision for me in this journey.

7Reply
1,292 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Maryland & Washington DC · Member since 2026 · 22 posts · 15 votes
6mo

Im actually from Maryland and I agree, Innago is your best PMS option. Its free and a great starting point for Beginner Investors with small number of units. The software is very user friendly. If you have the time I would definitely make a trip to Maryland and even join a couple of small local REI groups (do your research) to meet fellow investors and get a couple of referrals in terms of vendors. Word of mouth is always best. Take a look a Apartments.com. I've had success with renting my units in the past with them. They have a lot of freebies as well! Hope this helps.

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6mo

    Self managing is doable so I'll let others chime in there. I will say it'll be tough on your first property. I would look for another PM out the gate. I would assume there is a good one local that will do a good job. Once you have had the property rented and stabilized you can go down the rabbit hole of self managing. Initially you want to minimze mistakes so you aren't getting burned. 

    • New to Real Estate · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 10 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Caleb Brown:

      Self managing is doable so I'll let others chime in there. I will say it'll be tough on your first property. I would look for another PM out the gate. I would assume there is a good one local that will do a good job. Once you have had the property rented and stabilized you can go down the rabbit hole of self managing. Initially you want to minimze mistakes so you aren't getting burned. 


       I second this! Another thing you might want to do is check our PM discovery platforms like allpropertymanagement.com to see which ones come up in that area. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
    6mo

    Thank you for the quick response Caleb. To clarify the 2nd unit tenant is moving out in May 2026 so technically it will be empty. I am trying to avoid getting burned. I like that you said going down the rabbit hole of self managing because thats how i feel, like i am going down the rabbit hole for the past few days.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    Placing a tenant long distance is probably the most difficult task. They are going to want to see the place, obviously, and you are not there. If you can find a solution to that problem, you are most of the way there. The day to day management once they are placed is usually pretty simple after the first week or so. 

    As long as you have a good lease, simple way for tenants to pay, and a deep bench of local contacts when things break or go sideways, you can do it. 

    I would highly recommend spending time in Ohio to get to know local contacts. There is no replacement for face time with vendors. You need to get them to know, like, and trust you. That can be hard to do as an out of state investor...you are seen as the "rich person from Maryland" rather than a customer that they value or care about. 

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Travis Timmons:

      Placing a tenant long distance is probably the most difficult task. They are going to want to see the place, obviously, and you are not there. If you can find a solution to that problem, you are most of the way there. The day to day management once they are placed is usually pretty simple after the first week or so. 

      As long as you have a good lease, simple way for tenants to pay, and a deep bench of local contacts when things break or go sideways, you can do it. 

      I would highly recommend spending time in Ohio to get to know local contacts. There is no replacement for face time with vendors. You need to get them to know, like, and trust you. That can be hard to do as an out of state investor...you are seen as the "rich person from Maryland" rather than a customer that they value or care about. 

      Thank you travis for the advice. Yes, i have to figure out how to place a tenant from out of state. I am going to OHIO for the weekend soon so i will try and talk to some people. I hope they dont see me as the Rich person from maryland lol. I am just a lil woman who saved up all her money for 2.5 years to get into the real estate world.
  • Sam TatoPro Member
    Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2026 · 42 posts · 19 votes
    6mo

    Hi Bella.  For just one property I think it's definitely doable managing from out of state.

    For Leasing - hire a leasing agent
    For Maintenance and upkeep - consider just using a local handyman.
    Tenants contact you with an issue → ask the handyman to go take a look and send back pictures of the issue with a quote to fix.
    For Payments
    - lot's of free ways to collect rent, like apartments.com
    For Tenant trouble - any legal things should be handled through an attorney anyway, they will serve any notices for you, no need to be there.  If you need boots on the ground to inspect an issue, ask your handyman to take a look.

    I would trust yourself over a property management company.

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Sam Tato:

      Hi Bella.  For just one property I think it's definitely doable managing from out of state.

      For Leasing - hire a leasing agent
      For Maintenance and upkeep - consider just using a local handyman.
      Tenants contact you with an issue → ask the handyman to go take a look and send back pictures of the issue with a quote to fix.
      For Payments
      - lot's of free ways to collect rent, like apartments.com
      For Tenant trouble - any legal things should be handled through an attorney anyway, they will serve any notices for you, no need to be there.  If you need boots on the ground to inspect an issue, ask your handyman to take a look.

      I would trust yourself over a property management company.

      Than you sam. I think my anxiety is reducing from hearing everybody input and advice. Yes its just one property at this time. My plan is to buy one property every year etc... I didnt know i can hire a leasing agent for all of that. Now i need to find a leasing agent. Thanks for the advice. I am still trying to find a local handyman in the area.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Bella Ajayi:

    I am closing on my first investment duplex property in two weeks in Ohio area, i live 3 states away. I have received about 15+ bad review from landlords about property manager in the area and how they do a terrible job and ghost their landlord, lose future tenants and just nightmare review so i am thinking about self-managing as an out of state investor to see if i can do it. Is it doable?  Am i in over my head. One unit is occupied with a year lease and the other unit tenant will be moving out in May.

    What Property management software tools do you use that works best for you?? I was looking into RentRedi, Doorloop, Baselane, Landlordstudio and appfolio softwares. Also, I am looking into hiring a local boots on the ground person and a maintenance/handyman for maintenance needs.

    I like baselane so far but i dont want their bank account, i like the credit union bank that i currently have and will like to keep it. but i heard to get the full experience with baselane, you may have to get a baselane affiliated bank with them...idk. I like Rentredi and doorloop too

    Has anyone successfully self managed as a Out of state investor and what systems did you create that works best for you. Or should i just get a property manager for 10% and hope for the best. This will be my first property so i am trying to make the best decision for me in this journey.


     Which city in Ohio?

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Bella Ajayi:

      I am closing on my first investment duplex property in two weeks in Ohio area, i live 3 states away. I have received about 15+ bad review from landlords about property manager in the area and how they do a terrible job and ghost their landlord, lose future tenants and just nightmare review so i am thinking about self-managing as an out of state investor to see if i can do it. Is it doable?  Am i in over my head. One unit is occupied with a year lease and the other unit tenant will be moving out in May.

      What Property management software tools do you use that works best for you?? I was looking into RentRedi, Doorloop, Baselane, Landlordstudio and appfolio softwares. Also, I am looking into hiring a local boots on the ground person and a maintenance/handyman for maintenance needs.

      I like baselane so far but i dont want their bank account, i like the credit union bank that i currently have and will like to keep it. but i heard to get the full experience with baselane, you may have to get a baselane affiliated bank with them...idk. I like Rentredi and doorloop too

      Has anyone successfully self managed as a Out of state investor and what systems did you create that works best for you. Or should i just get a property manager for 10% and hope for the best. This will be my first property so i am trying to make the best decision for me in this journey.


       Which city in Ohio?

       Its West of cleveland close to the CLE airport. Do you have a good recommendation for a handyman???

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Bella Ajayi:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Bella Ajayi:

      I am closing on my first investment duplex property in two weeks in Ohio area, i live 3 states away. I have received about 15+ bad review from landlords about property manager in the area and how they do a terrible job and ghost their landlord, lose future tenants and just nightmare review so i am thinking about self-managing as an out of state investor to see if i can do it. Is it doable?  Am i in over my head. One unit is occupied with a year lease and the other unit tenant will be moving out in May.

      What Property management software tools do you use that works best for you?? I was looking into RentRedi, Doorloop, Baselane, Landlordstudio and appfolio softwares. Also, I am looking into hiring a local boots on the ground person and a maintenance/handyman for maintenance needs.

      I like baselane so far but i dont want their bank account, i like the credit union bank that i currently have and will like to keep it. but i heard to get the full experience with baselane, you may have to get a baselane affiliated bank with them...idk. I like Rentredi and doorloop too

      Has anyone successfully self managed as a Out of state investor and what systems did you create that works best for you. Or should i just get a property manager for 10% and hope for the best. This will be my first property so i am trying to make the best decision for me in this journey.


       Which city in Ohio?

       Its West of cleveland close to the CLE airport. Do you have a good recommendation for a handyman???


       No. Mostly in Columbus, Ohio

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    @Bella Ajayi, Yes, it’s doable if you have a reliable local person for showings/photos and a solid handyman for quick fixes. I’d use DoorLoop or RentRedi to keep it simple and keep your current bank.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Kerlous Tadres:

      @Bella Ajayi, Yes, it’s doable if you have a reliable local person for showings/photos and a solid handyman for quick fixes. I’d use DoorLoop or RentRedi to keep it simple and keep your current bank.

       Thank you kerlous for the affirmation. I am looking /planning on getting a Local person on ground and handyman on my roaster for quick fixes. I am just trying to find a reliable and trustworthy person that i can trust and have a good comminication with. Doorloop and rentredi are some of my options to use for software

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Bella Ajayi:

    I am closing on my first investment duplex property in two weeks in Ohio area, i live 3 states away. I have received about 15+ bad review from landlords about property manager in the area and how they do a terrible job and ghost their landlord, lose future tenants and just nightmare review so i am thinking about self-managing as an out of state investor to see if i can do it. Is it doable?  Am i in over my head. One unit is occupied with a year lease and the other unit tenant will be moving out in May.

    What Property management software tools do you use that works best for you?? I was looking into RentRedi, Doorloop, Baselane, Landlordstudio and appfolio softwares. Also, I am looking into hiring a local boots on the ground person and a maintenance/handyman for maintenance needs.

    I like baselane so far but i dont want their bank account, i like the credit union bank that i currently have and will like to keep it. but i heard to get the full experience with baselane, you may have to get a baselane affiliated bank with them...idk. I like Rentredi and doorloop too

    Has anyone successfully self managed as a Out of state investor and what systems did you create that works best for you. Or should i just get a property manager for 10% and hope for the best. This will be my first property so i am trying to make the best decision for me in this journey.


    Self managing is doable if you have all the following:

    Efficient way to respond to all the inquiries from your Zillow ad

    Someone to show the property, give tenants keys for MoveIn

    Rental application (can use Zillow)

    Way to collect app fees (can use Zillow) 

    Process to screen applicants, can use Zillow, but many here have been burned by Zillow's poor screening. Zillow is also terrible at catching fraud.

    Compliant lease

    Rent payment options for tenants

    Someone to do maintenance

    Someone to inspect at least annually

    Process to track rents and expenses

    Knowledge of local eviction laws in case tenants don't pay

    Eviction attorney to appear on your behalf in court

    Someone that knows Ohio Landlord-Tenant regulations to keep tenants from being in control

    Someone to collect keys when tenants leave and do MoveOut Evaluation for security deposit charges and refund

    Someone that knows Ohio security deposit laws

    Enough maintenance and market knowledge to know Scope of Work to RentReady a unit and not get taken advantage of with unnecessary work expenses.

    And more...

    What NOT to do:

    Hire an agent to show the property AND screen applicants!
    - What do they have to lose by approving the first applicant to get their commission ASAP?

    Trusting contractors to decide what needs to be done for maintenance or RentReady.
    - They have an incentive to do as much work as possible to get the highest amount from you.

    Trust tenant excuses for late payments.
    - They will lie to stay for free as long as possible

    If you decide to hire a PMC, read our copy & paste advice below to avoid hiring a bad one:

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    We’re a Property Management Company (PMC) in Metro Detroit ONLY, with 25+ years of experience, and we’ve seen owners make the same mistakes, over & over again when looking to hire a PMC – which drives us nuts!.

    In our experience, the #1 mistake owners make is ASSUMING all PMCs offer the exact SAME SERVICES and PERFORM those services EXACTLY THE SAME WAY.

    So, owners mistakenly think price is the only differentiator – and look for a PMC like they’d shop for groceries☹

    We encourage you to learn from the mistakes of others by reading posts here on BiggerPockets from owners that picked a PMC solely by price and regretted it.

    We recommend exploring as many sources as possible to get referrals AND cross-reference them to get as much accurate information as possible.

    Check out NARPM.com, BP’s Property Manager Finder (BiggerPockets: The Real Estate Investing Social Network), etc.

    Even if someone gives you a referral, do NOT make the mistake of assuming that just because a PMC met their expectations, they’ll meet your expectations. We all have our own expectations and what works for someone else, may not work for you.

    If you’re new to all of this, it's often a case of not doing enough research, as you don't know what you don't know!

    So, ask more questions!

    EXAMPLE: PMC states they will handle tenant screening – what does that specifically mean? What documents do they require, what credit scores do they allow, how do they verify previous rental history, etc.? You’d be shocked by how little actual screening many PMC’s do!

    This also leads owners to ASSUME simpler is better when it comes to management contracts.

    The reality is the opposite - if it's not in writing then the PMC doesn't have to provide the service or can charge extra for it!

    A well written management contract should clearly spell out what is expected of both the PMC and the owner, to PROTECT both and avoid misunderstandings. Why do you think purchase contracts are so long and have such small print?

    We recommend you get management contracts from several PMCs and compare the services they cover and, more importantly, what they each DO NOT cover.

    EDUCATE YOURSELF - yes, it will take time, but will lead to a selection that better meets your expectations & avoids potentially costly surprises!

    P.S. If you just hire the cheapest or first PMC you speak with and it turns into a bad experience, please don’t assume ALL PMC’s are bad and start trashing PMC’s in general. Take ownership of your mistake and learn to do the proper due diligence recommended above😊

    Here’s some articles we’ve contributed to BiggerPockets about screening a PMC BETTER than you would a tenant!

    20 Questions to Ask When Vetting a Property Management Company: Processes

    13 Questions to Ask to a PMC: Communication and Documentation

    24 Questions to Ask When Evaluating a Property Management Contract

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Bella Ajayi:

      I am closing on my first investment duplex property in two weeks in Ohio area, i live 3 states away. I have received about 15+ bad review from landlords about property manager in the area and how they do a terrible job and ghost their landlord, lose future tenants and just nightmare review so i am thinking about self-managing as an out of state investor to see if i can do it. Is it doable?  Am i in over my head. One unit is occupied with a year lease and the other unit tenant will be moving out in May.

      What Property management software tools do you use that works best for you?? I was looking into RentRedi, Doorloop, Baselane, Landlordstudio and appfolio softwares. Also, I am looking into hiring a local boots on the ground person and a maintenance/handyman for maintenance needs.

      I like baselane so far but i dont want their bank account, i like the credit union bank that i currently have and will like to keep it. but i heard to get the full experience with baselane, you may have to get a baselane affiliated bank with them...idk. I like Rentredi and doorloop too

      Has anyone successfully self managed as a Out of state investor and what systems did you create that works best for you. Or should i just get a property manager for 10% and hope for the best. This will be my first property so i am trying to make the best decision for me in this journey.


      Self managing is doable if you have all the following:

      Efficient way to respond to all the inquiries from your Zillow ad

      Someone to show the property, give tenants keys for MoveIn

      Rental application (can use Zillow)

      Way to collect app fees (can use Zillow) 

      Process to screen applicants, can use Zillow, but many here have been burned by Zillow's poor screening. Zillow is also terrible at catching fraud.

      Compliant lease

      Rent payment options for tenants

      Someone to do maintenance

      Someone to inspect at least annually

      Process to track rents and expenses

      Knowledge of local eviction laws in case tenants don't pay

      Eviction attorney to appear on your behalf in court

      Someone that knows Ohio Landlord-Tenant regulations to keep tenants from being in control

      Someone to collect keys when tenants leave and do MoveOut Evaluation for security deposit charges and refund

      Someone that knows Ohio security deposit laws

      Enough maintenance and market knowledge to know Scope of Work to RentReady a unit and not get taken advantage of with unnecessary work expenses.

      And more...

      What NOT to do:

      Hire an agent to show the property AND screen applicants!
      - What do they have to lose by approving the first applicant to get their commission ASAP?

      Trusting contractors to decide what needs to be done for maintenance or RentReady.
      - They have an incentive to do as much work as possible to get the highest amount from you.

      Trust tenant excuses for late payments.
      - They will lie to stay for free as long as possible

      If you decide to hire a PMC, read our copy & paste advice below to avoid hiring a bad one:

      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      We’re a Property Management Company (PMC) in Metro Detroit ONLY, with 25+ years of experience, and we’ve seen owners make the same mistakes, over & over again when looking to hire a PMC – which drives us nuts!.

      In our experience, the #1 mistake owners make is ASSUMING all PMCs offer the exact SAME SERVICES and PERFORM those services EXACTLY THE SAME WAY.

      So, owners mistakenly think price is the only differentiator – and look for a PMC like they’d shop for groceries☹

      We encourage you to learn from the mistakes of others by reading posts here on BiggerPockets from owners that picked a PMC solely by price and regretted it.

      We recommend exploring as many sources as possible to get referrals AND cross-reference them to get as much accurate information as possible.

      Check out NARPM.com, BP’s Property Manager Finder (BiggerPockets: The Real Estate Investing Social Network), etc.

      Even if someone gives you a referral, do NOT make the mistake of assuming that just because a PMC met their expectations, they’ll meet your expectations. We all have our own expectations and what works for someone else, may not work for you.

      If you’re new to all of this, it's often a case of not doing enough research, as you don't know what you don't know!

      So, ask more questions!

      EXAMPLE: PMC states they will handle tenant screening – what does that specifically mean? What documents do they require, what credit scores do they allow, how do they verify previous rental history, etc.? You’d be shocked by how little actual screening many PMC’s do!

      This also leads owners to ASSUME simpler is better when it comes to management contracts.

      The reality is the opposite - if it's not in writing then the PMC doesn't have to provide the service or can charge extra for it!

      A well written management contract should clearly spell out what is expected of both the PMC and the owner, to PROTECT both and avoid misunderstandings. Why do you think purchase contracts are so long and have such small print?

      We recommend you get management contracts from several PMCs and compare the services they cover and, more importantly, what they each DO NOT cover.

      EDUCATE YOURSELF - yes, it will take time, but will lead to a selection that better meets your expectations & avoids potentially costly surprises!

      P.S. If you just hire the cheapest or first PMC you speak with and it turns into a bad experience, please don’t assume ALL PMC’s are bad and start trashing PMC’s in general. Take ownership of your mistake and learn to do the proper due diligence recommended above😊

      Here’s some articles we’ve contributed to BiggerPockets about screening a PMC BETTER than you would a tenant!

      20 Questions to Ask When Vetting a Property Management Company: Processes

      13 Questions to Ask to a PMC: Communication and Documentation

      24 Questions to Ask When Evaluating a Property Management Contract

      Thank you drew for this insights. I will take your advice and do my due deligence with everything that you just said. I am definitely going to stick to what NOT to do section.
  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 268 posts · 315 votes
    6mo

    Can you self manage a duplex in Cleveland, absolutely.  Coming into town and really getting to know the house will be big for your success.  I agree with @Drew Sygit that you should not let the person leasing also be the one to approve and screen applications.  

    If the property is in the City of Cleveland and not a suburb you will need to get a "Local Agent In Charge" even if you self manage, this is a city ordinance.  Another city requirement is to get your property Lead Safe certified, there are many vendors that do this but if the price is too good to be true then, it might be too good to be true.

    In general if thing go well and your tenants are decent to work with then you can power through the little blips.  It's if things don't go well that's when you might wish you had a PM for things like non payment, tenant disputes, city compliance, handy men who go missing, local requirement changed, etc.  

    One last piece of advice, if you have a larger project/rehab that you are doing and hiring for.  Please come into town to inspect it personally, its worth the trip.  

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Andrew Weiner:

      Can you self manage a duplex in Cleveland, absolutely.  Coming into town and really getting to know the house will be big for your success.  I agree with @Drew Sygit that you should not let the person leasing also be the one to approve and screen applications.  

      If the property is in the City of Cleveland and not a suburb you will need to get a "Local Agent In Charge" even if you self manage, this is a city ordinance.  Another city requirement is to get your property Lead Safe certified, there are many vendors that do this but if the price is too good to be true then, it might be too good to be true.

      In general if thing go well and your tenants are decent to work with then you can power through the little blips.  It's if things don't go well that's when you might wish you had a PM for things like non payment, tenant disputes, city compliance, handy men who go missing, local requirement changed, etc.  

      One last piece of advice, if you have a larger project/rehab that you are doing and hiring for.  Please come into town to inspect it personally, its worth the trip.  

      Thanks andrew. For the screening of applicant, can i do it virtually? i didnt know that i need a local agent in charge even though i may be self-managing but thats good to know to put it in my notes. I only need some cosmetic rehab done in the future but i am sure i will be in the area more often to check out some things.

  • Real Estate Agent · Saint Petersburg Florida · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 14 votes
    6mo

    I manage 20 short term rentals from 2 states away so I definitely think you could manage long term rentals remotely. 

    You just need to have the right contacts. I have a list of 3 plumbers, 3 handymen, a reliable cleaner and a "runner" someone I can call to hop up and fill a need that falls outside any of the other 3 services. 

    We got our long term rental occupied by providing a code you can change remotely and asking for ID for people to view on their own. 

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Kodie Talley:

      I manage 20 short term rentals from 2 states away so I definitely think you could manage long term rentals remotely. 

      You just need to have the right contacts. I have a list of 3 plumbers, 3 handymen, a reliable cleaner and a "runner" someone I can call to hop up and fill a need that falls outside any of the other 3 services. 

      We got our long term rental occupied by providing a code you can change remotely and asking for ID for people to view on their own. 

      Amazing Kodie... I am building out my list of plumber, handyman and boots on the ground for me now...in a week or two o will find them and save them on my list. Thank you for the encouragement,  I think I can be able to do this. I just need the right people around me...
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Bella Ajayi:

    I am closing on my first investment duplex property in two weeks in Ohio area, i live 3 states away. I have received about 15+ bad review from landlords about property manager in the area and how they do a terrible job and ghost their landlord, lose future tenants and just nightmare review so i am thinking about self-managing as an out of state investor to see if i can do it. Is it doable?  Am i in over my head. One unit is occupied with a year lease and the other unit tenant will be moving out in May.

    What Property management software tools do you use that works best for you?? I was looking into RentRedi, Doorloop, Baselane, Landlordstudio and appfolio softwares. Also, I am looking into hiring a local boots on the ground person and a maintenance/handyman for maintenance needs.

    I like baselane so far but i dont want their bank account, i like the credit union bank that i currently have and will like to keep it. but i heard to get the full experience with baselane, you may have to get a baselane affiliated bank with them...idk. I like Rentredi and doorloop too

    Has anyone successfully self managed as a Out of state investor and what systems did you create that works best for you. Or should i just get a property manager for 10% and hope for the best. This will be my first property so i am trying to make the best decision for me in this journey.

    Hey Bella, welcome to BP! Managing a property from out of state is definitely doable, but it takes some planning, systems, and reliable local support, especially when you’re new. Many investors who self-manage remotely rely on solid property management software for rent collection, maintenance requests, and lease tracking, and pairing that with a trusted local “boots on the ground” person or handyman can make a huge difference. It helps to set up clear communication protocols, have a routine for checking in on units, and keep all documentation organized so nothing slips through the cracks. Choosing software often comes down to what fits your workflow—some people prefer RentRedi or Doorloop because they can link to their own bank accounts, while others like Baselane for convenience if they’re okay using their banking setup. The key is consistency, responsiveness, and having reliable local contacts you trust to handle emergencies or turnovers. Starting with one property is a good way to test the waters, and you can always adjust your approach as you learn what works best for you. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Jimmy Lieu:
      Quote from @Bella Ajayi:

      I am closing on my first investment duplex property in two weeks in Ohio area, i live 3 states away. I have received about 15+ bad review from landlords about property manager in the area and how they do a terrible job and ghost their landlord, lose future tenants and just nightmare review so i am thinking about self-managing as an out of state investor to see if i can do it. Is it doable?  Am i in over my head. One unit is occupied with a year lease and the other unit tenant will be moving out in May.

      What Property management software tools do you use that works best for you?? I was looking into RentRedi, Doorloop, Baselane, Landlordstudio and appfolio softwares. Also, I am looking into hiring a local boots on the ground person and a maintenance/handyman for maintenance needs.

      I like baselane so far but i dont want their bank account, i like the credit union bank that i currently have and will like to keep it. but i heard to get the full experience with baselane, you may have to get a baselane affiliated bank with them...idk. I like Rentredi and doorloop too

      Has anyone successfully self managed as a Out of state investor and what systems did you create that works best for you. Or should i just get a property manager for 10% and hope for the best. This will be my first property so i am trying to make the best decision for me in this journey.

      Hey Bella, welcome to BP! Managing a property from out of state is definitely doable, but it takes some planning, systems, and reliable local support, especially when you’re new. Many investors who self-manage remotely rely on solid property management software for rent collection, maintenance requests, and lease tracking, and pairing that with a trusted local “boots on the ground” person or handyman can make a huge difference. It helps to set up clear communication protocols, have a routine for checking in on units, and keep all documentation organized so nothing slips through the cracks. Choosing software often comes down to what fits your workflow—some people prefer RentRedi or Doorloop because they can link to their own bank accounts, while others like Baselane for convenience if they’re okay using their banking setup. The key is consistency, responsiveness, and having reliable local contacts you trust to handle emergencies or turnovers. Starting with one property is a good way to test the waters, and you can always adjust your approach as you learn what works best for you. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!


       Thanks Jimmy. I just want to test the water and see if i can do it. I am building out my list of plumbers, contractors and see how it goes. 

  • Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    6mo

    1) you don’t need a property manager. They are expensive and often not very helpful.

    2) you don’t need clunky property management software. I haven’t had much luck with them.

    You can self-manage remotely! Especially with some of the new AI tools available today for maintenance.

    Self-managing 2 units out of state is 100% doable! I have owned four rental homes in Atlanta for the past 20 years and I haven’t lived in-state that entire time, and in fact I actually lived in London for 12 of those years, so not just out of state but out of country! :)

    here is what I did for the past twenty years that has worked fine:
    1) Your biggest challenge is going to be tenant placement. Hire a real estate agent to rent out the property. They usually will do this for the first months rent and will take care of actually being there to show it in person and marketing it locally.
    2)Once you get a tenant, just try to be responsive when something goes wrong and try to build a list of decent contractors. A good handyman and plumber are very helpful.
    3) Recently there have been cheap tools released that use AI to automate first line maintenance (take tenant calls, troubleshooting, coordinate contractor). I am not a fan of property management software as they are more trouble than they are worth (eg why wait days or a week for your rent payments to go through a platform??), but do see benefits in AI tools for day to day maintenance triage.

    Hope all this is helpful.

    Good luck!

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Adam Enterkin:

      1) you don’t need a property manager. They are expensive and often not very helpful.

      2) you don’t need clunky property management software. I haven’t had much luck with them.

      You can self-manage remotely! Especially with some of the new AI tools available today for maintenance.

      Self-managing 2 units out of state is 100% doable! I have owned four rental homes in Atlanta for the past 20 years and I haven’t lived in-state that entire time, and in fact I actually lived in London for 12 of those years, so not just out of state but out of country! :)

      here is what I did for the past twenty years that has worked fine:
      1) Your biggest challenge is going to be tenant placement. Hire a real estate agent to rent out the property. They usually will do this for the first months rent and will take care of actually being there to show it in person and marketing it locally.
      2)Once you get a tenant, just try to be responsive when something goes wrong and try to build a list of decent contractors. A good handyman and plumber are very helpful.
      3) Recently there have been cheap tools released that use AI to automate first line maintenance (take tenant calls, troubleshooting, coordinate contractor). I am not a fan of property management software as they are more trouble than they are worth (eg why wait days or a week for your rent payments to go through a platform??), but do see benefits in AI tools for day to day maintenance triage.

      Hope all this is helpful.

      Good luck!


       Thanks you Adam. I am still looking at the property management software though to see if it can help make my life a lil bit easier. What AI automation are you using? Is that the new trend now

    • Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Bella Ajayi:
      Quote from @Adam Enterkin:

      1) you don’t need a property manager. They are expensive and often not very helpful.

      2) you don’t need clunky property management software. I haven’t had much luck with them.

      You can self-manage remotely! Especially with some of the new AI tools available today for maintenance.

      Self-managing 2 units out of state is 100% doable! I have owned four rental homes in Atlanta for the past 20 years and I haven’t lived in-state that entire time, and in fact I actually lived in London for 12 of those years, so not just out of state but out of country! :)

      here is what I did for the past twenty years that has worked fine:
      1) Your biggest challenge is going to be tenant placement. Hire a real estate agent to rent out the property. They usually will do this for the first months rent and will take care of actually being there to show it in person and marketing it locally.
      2)Once you get a tenant, just try to be responsive when something goes wrong and try to build a list of decent contractors. A good handyman and plumber are very helpful.
      3) Recently there have been cheap tools released that use AI to automate first line maintenance (take tenant calls, troubleshooting, coordinate contractor). I am not a fan of property management software as they are more trouble than they are worth (eg why wait days or a week for your rent payments to go through a platform??), but do see benefits in AI tools for day to day maintenance triage.

      Hope all this is helpful.

      Good luck!


       Thanks you Adam. I am still looking at the property management software though to see if it can help make my life a lil bit easier. What AI automation are you using? Is that the new trend now

      I’ve used lots of PM software over the years. The AI automation tool I use now if Vulkify. It cuts down on the back and forth with tenants over maintenance issues and does a decent job coordinating contractors without my having to micromanage. 

    • Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 5 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Bella Ajayi:
      Quote from @Adam Enterkin:

      1) you don’t need a property manager. They are expensive and often not very helpful.

      2) you don’t need clunky property management software. I haven’t had much luck with them.

      You can self-manage remotely! Especially with some of the new AI tools available today for maintenance.

      Self-managing 2 units out of state is 100% doable! I have owned four rental homes in Atlanta for the past 20 years and I haven’t lived in-state that entire time, and in fact I actually lived in London for 12 of those years, so not just out of state but out of country! :)

      here is what I did for the past twenty years that has worked fine:
      1) Your biggest challenge is going to be tenant placement. Hire a real estate agent to rent out the property. They usually will do this for the first months rent and will take care of actually being there to show it in person and marketing it locally.
      2)Once you get a tenant, just try to be responsive when something goes wrong and try to build a list of decent contractors. A good handyman and plumber are very helpful.
      3) Recently there have been cheap tools released that use AI to automate first line maintenance (take tenant calls, troubleshooting, coordinate contractor). I am not a fan of property management software as they are more trouble than they are worth (eg why wait days or a week for your rent payments to go through a platform??), but do see benefits in AI tools for day to day maintenance triage.

      Hope all this is helpful.

      Good luck!


       Thanks you Adam. I am still looking at the property management software though to see if it can help make my life a lil bit easier. What AI automation are you using? Is that the new trend now


       You're welcome Bella! I've used many different property management software products over the years but none of them really helped all that much. FOr the AI automation, I use Vulkify. It takes all the comms from tenants, troubleshoots issues and coordinates contractors. I think it is free, or they ahve a free version. 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6mo

    @Bella Ajayi

    are you able to make a trip or two there and try to meet some PMs in person?  i think that because it's possible to do so much remotely nowadays this has gotten lost.  i've met, and know, all my PMs in person.  

    there are so many posts on BP of folks who have never met their service providers or even been to their properties, and there seems to be a correlation between this and greater challenges.

    you could try to look up 10-20 well reviewed ones and see how many you can meet in a single trip.  in a large metro like Cleveland there are going to be lots to choose from.  you could also try to hit a couple meetups there and see who other investors are using.

    hope this helps

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Nicholas L.:

      @Bella Ajayi

      are you able to make a trip or two there and try to meet some PMs in person?  i think that because it's possible to do so much remotely nowadays this has gotten lost.  i've met, and know, all my PMs in person.  

      there are so many posts on BP of folks who have never met their service providers or even been to their properties, and there seems to be a correlation between this and greater challenges.

      you could try to look up 10-20 well reviewed ones and see how many you can meet in a single trip.  in a large metro like Cleveland there are going to be lots to choose from.  you could also try to hit a couple meetups there and see who other investors are using.

      hope this helps


      Thanks  Nicholas. I am working on making a weekend trip up there.. I am excited to just meet people, talk to them and driving around the area to get a feel of the town..

  • Property Manager · Cleveland · Member since 2025 · 52 posts · 28 votes
    6mo

    Hi @Bella Ajayi Welcome to BP.  I sent you a message with some helpful information, have a nice day! 

  • Clare PitcherBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2024 · 162 posts · 97 votes
    6mo

    What part of Ohio? A great property manager in the Columbus area is RL Property Management. 

    Welcome Home Milwaukee4.4453 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 558 posts · 326 votes
    6mo

    You’re not in over your head — but you are stepping into something that requires structure pretty quickly, especially being out of state.

    Self-managing from a distance is doable. The part that usually trips people up isn’t the software — it’s what happens when something unexpected comes up and you need a fast, local decision.

    The setup you’re thinking about (software + boots-on-the-ground + handyman) is actually how a lot of out-of-state owners make it work. The key is having clear processes before you need them — not figuring it out in the moment.

    On software, most of the options you listed can handle the core pieces (rent collection, leases, communication, maintenance tracking). The bigger difference is how you use it — consistency matters more than the platform.

    Where I’d focus early:
    • Who handles emergencies and how fast they respond
    • A go-to maintenance person you trust
    • Clear tenant communication expectations
    • A simple process for turnovers (since you already have one coming up)

    Starting by self-managing for a bit isn’t a bad move — it gives you a baseline for what’s actually involved. You can always bring in a PM later once you know what “good” should look like.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    Bella, yes, it is doable but only if you have solid systems in place. You can self-manage, especially if you first have an agent secure a strong, well-screened tenant (typically one month’s rent as a placement fee) and find a reliable local handyman for repairs and routine inspections. For tools, RentRedi and DoorLoop are both solid for remote management and you don’t need to switch banks to use them effectively. The biggest keys are tenant quality, clear processes and a dependable local contact. 

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      Bella, yes, it is doable but only if you have solid systems in place. You can self-manage, especially if you first have an agent secure a strong, well-screened tenant (typically one month’s rent as a placement fee) and find a reliable local handyman for repairs and routine inspections. For tools, RentRedi and DoorLoop are both solid for remote management and you don’t need to switch banks to use them effectively. The biggest keys are tenant quality, clear processes and a dependable local contact. 

      Thank you Janice for the affirmations. Tenant quality is numbe one for me.. I will definitely look into getting a agent for the leasing part of the process. I plan to screen the tenants myself.. 
  • Property Manager · Maryland & Washington DC · Member since 2026 · 22 posts · 15 votes
    6mo

    Im actually from Maryland and I agree, Innago is your best PMS option. Its free and a great starting point for Beginner Investors with small number of units. The software is very user friendly. If you have the time I would definitely make a trip to Maryland and even join a couple of small local REI groups (do your research) to meet fellow investors and get a couple of referrals in terms of vendors. Word of mouth is always best. Take a look a Apartments.com. I've had success with renting my units in the past with them. They have a lot of freebies as well! Hope this helps.

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Robin Blessett:

      Im actually from Maryland and I agree, Innago is your best PMS option. Its free and a great starting point for Beginner Investors with small number of units. The software is very user friendly. If you have the time I would definitely make a trip to Maryland and even join a couple of small local REI groups (do your research) to meet fellow investors and get a couple of referrals in terms of vendors. Word of mouth is always best. Take a look a Apartments.com. I've had success with renting my units in the past with them. They have a lot of freebies as well! Hope this helps.

      Thank robin. Yes, it really helps...looking into joining some local REI groups.
  • Property Manager · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 29 votes
    5mo

    The fear of bad property managers is real... I get it. But self-managing 3 states away on your first property is where most people learn the hard way. The problem isnt property management, its finding one that actually operates with transparency and accountability. After 30 years in this business, I can tell you the difference comes down to two things: how they handle maintenance and how they communicate when things go sideways. Ask any PM you're considering for their vendor invoice process and what their markup policy is. If they hesitate, you have your answer.

    • Member since 2026 · 29 posts · 3 votes
      5mo
      Jon, the vendor invoice question is the right filter. Most landlords never think to ask it until they're already in a bad situation.

      I'd add one more: ask how they handle after-hours maintenance decisions and who has authorization to approve what without calling you. That's usually where the accountability gaps show up in practice.

      Quote from @Jon Westrom:

      The fear of bad property managers is real... I get it. But self-managing 3 states away on your first property is where most people learn the hard way. The problem isnt property management, its finding one that actually operates with transparency and accountability. After 30 years in this business, I can tell you the difference comes down to two things: how they handle maintenance and how they communicate when things go sideways. Ask any PM you're considering for their vendor invoice process and what their markup policy is. If they hesitate, you have your answer.


  • Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    5mo

    "Congrats on the new property! For maintenance intake specifically, there are some newer AI tools that handle tenant calls and route them automatically — worth looking at alongside the usual suspects (Buildium, TenantCloud). I've been testing Leasify which does AI call handling and maintenance triage for smaller portfolios. Happy to share what I've learned if you want to compare notes."

    • Member since 2026 · 29 posts · 3 votes
      5mo
      William — curious what your experience has been with Leasify's triage accuracy. The AI maintenance routing space is interesting but the quality varies a lot depending on how the intake is structured.

      I've been building in this space too — specifically focused on making sure the AI actually understands the difference between urgent and non-urgent before it routes anything. Happy to compare notes if you're stress-testing different tools.

      Quote from @William S Brenza:

      "Congrats on the new property! For maintenance intake specifically, there are some newer AI tools that handle tenant calls and route them automatically — worth looking at alongside the usual suspects (Buildium, TenantCloud). I've been testing Leasify which does AI call handling and maintenance triage for smaller portfolios. Happy to share what I've learned if you want to compare notes."


  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    I recommend hiring a virtual assistant to help with the tasks. We self manage one out of state property and our VA is great. The only main challenge honestly is finding new tenants during turn over. When we had turn over, another tenant just showed the unit for us. Or you can hire an agent to handle it.

    Detailed checklists with photos from handymen is also helpful. 

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2026 · 29 posts · 3 votes
    5mo
  • Real Estate Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2010 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    5mo

    Bella, this is very doable, but you're right that systems are everything — especially out of state.

    I self-managed for 15 years, and the landlords who struggle aren't the ones with hard properties. They're the ones without a system.

    For software, RentRedi is solid for out-of-state. Good mobile app, tenant communication, and maintenance requests all in one place. Pair it with a local handyman you trust, and you have your boots on the ground covered.

    The bigger thing I'd focus on before closing is locking in:

    • A bulletproof screening process so unit 2 gets the right tenant from day one
    • A maintenance request protocol so you're not getting random texts at all hours
    • A move-in inspection process that protects you from deposit disputes later

    Out-of-state makes all of this more critical, not less, because you can't just drive over and handle things.

    I actually put together a complete self-managing landlord system that covers all of this step by step. Given where you are right now, it could save you a lot of pain early on.

    Want me to send you the link?

    • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Gary Childers:

      Bella, this is very doable, but you're right that systems are everything — especially out of state.

      I self-managed for 15 years, and the landlords who struggle aren't the ones with hard properties. They're the ones without a system.

      For software, RentRedi is solid for out-of-state. Good mobile app, tenant communication, and maintenance requests all in one place. Pair it with a local handyman you trust, and you have your boots on the ground covered.

      The bigger thing I'd focus on before closing is locking in:

      • A bulletproof screening process so unit 2 gets the right tenant from day one
      • A maintenance request protocol so you're not getting random texts at all hours
      • A move-in inspection process that protects you from deposit disputes later

      Out-of-state makes all of this more critical, not less, because you can't just drive over and handle things.

      I actually put together a complete self-managing landlord system that covers all of this step by step. Given where you are right now, it could save you a lot of pain early on.

      Want me to send you the link?


       Thank you Gary. 

      yes, you can send me the link

  • Member since 2026 · 29 posts · 3 votes
    5mo

    Bella — the "random texts at all hours" problem Gary mentioned is the one that actually breaks out-of-state landlords. Most software helps you track maintenance but doesn't change the intake behavior — tenants still call or text you directly.

    The shift that makes out-of-state actually work is moving tenants to a single channel where issues get logged, triaged, and routed without you in the middle. When that's in place you stop being the switchboard.

    Happy to share what that setup looks like if it's helpful — no link spam, just the workflow.

  • Rental Property Investor · Maryland · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 25 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Yousuf A Kadir:

    Self-managing your Ohio duplex from Maryland is completely realistic, provided you use the right systems to replace your physical presence. While you can link your current credit union to Baselane to collect rent, keep in mind that collecting into an external account often incurs a small ACH fee and lacks the automated, real-time Schedule E bookkeeping available with their native accounts.

    To make this work long-distance, you'll need to combine Baselane’s digital backend with a reliable "boots on the ground" contact and smart home tech like Schlage Encode locks. This setup allows you to manage the May turnover and ongoing maintenance without the 10% overhead of a traditional property manager.


     Thank you Yousuf for the advice

  • Victor PatelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2022 · 133 posts · 89 votes
    1mo

    t’s definitely doable to self-manage from out of state, but I think the key is recognizing that you’re not really doing it alone—you’re building your own local team instead of hiring one property manager to handle everything.

    If it were me, I’d focus first on getting 3 reliable people in place: a handyman/maintenance contact, a backup contractor for bigger issues, and someone local who can physically visit the property when needed. That boots-on-the-ground person can be extremely valuable for move-outs, inspections, lockouts, meeting vendors, etc.

    For software, I’d keep it simple with your first duplex. You probably don’t need something as robust as AppFolio yet. RentRedi or DoorLoop would likely cover most of what you need for rent collection, maintenance requests, screening, leases and communication. Baselane is great on the financial/bookkeeping side, but if you’re happy with your current banking setup, I wouldn’t change banks just because of the software.

    The bigger challenge isn’t collecting rent—it’s handling the unexpected things from 3 states away. I’d create a system now for maintenance requests, emergency calls, tenant communication, inspections, leasing and vendor approvals before that vacant unit turns over.

    Also, I wouldn’t automatically assume paying 10% to a PM eliminates the headaches. A great PM can absolutely be worth it, but a bad one can create more problems than they solve.

    With only two units, this could actually be a good opportunity to learn the management side yourself. Build strong systems and local relationships now, and if it becomes too much as you add properties, you can always hand it off later.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.