@Raffaello Cervera - you should try Googling him. He was on a flipping show on HGTV about 10 years ago and rode that fame to a Guru program. What was being advertised is a typical Guru pitch. They give you free tickets to the first meeting. Then they spend that meeting pitching you about the second meeting which might cost a few hundred dollars. If you shell out the few hundred dollars, you get to go to the second meeting where they spend the whole time pitching the third meeting. Third meeting will be anywhere from $10K to $50K.
If you have $50K to shell out on that junk, then you might as well jump in and give it a shot at whatever it is you want to learn. Even if you lose all your money, you'll most likely have learned a lot more than had you given it to a "Guru".
@Raffaello Cervera - you should try Googling him. He was on a flipping show on HGTV about 10 years ago and rode that fame to a Guru program. What was being advertised is a typical Guru pitch. They give you free tickets to the first meeting. Then they spend that meeting pitching you about the second meeting which might cost a few hundred dollars. If you shell out the few hundred dollars, you get to go to the second meeting where they spend the whole time pitching the third meeting. Third meeting will be anywhere from $10K to $50K.
If you have $50K to shell out on that junk, then you might as well jump in and give it a shot at whatever it is you want to learn. Even if you lose all your money, you'll most likely have learned a lot more than had you given it to a "Guru".
It's a legit scam. I'd stay away. Everything you need to learn is here on BP just need to take the time to sort everything out. Get to know some active real estate investors in your area and network/network/network. Best of Luck!!
This is Paul Esajian and I am business partners with Than.
If anyone ever has a question about our company please feel free to contact me personally. My contact information is at the bottom of my post.
Neither Than, nor I, would ever claim that we are the be-all-end-all of real estate.
We have been personally investing in real estate for over 13 years. We focus on both residential and commercial real estate and have had a lot of success over that time frame. We currently have 30+ different real estate projects either under construction or on the market.
We also have been teaching and coaching real estate investors for a number of years through our educational company. We are both personally very involved in the coaching and love teaching our students. Within our coaching program we have ten different two to four day bootcamps we offer on a variety of topics from residential to commercial.
We also understand the value of the knowledge, systems, software, marketing collateral, and standard operating procedures we have spent countless hours developing over the past 13 years that our students use.
I would never claim that we are the only or the cheapest road to success as there are many educators out there. People can read books, attend local networking groups, and spend a lot of time trying to piece together information.
I do think people sometimes underestimate the risk associated with real estate. We believe the only way to reduce that risk is to get a solid education. I realize when you see an advertisement its natural to have a certain amount of skepticism, but just because there is an investment for what we offer does not mean it’s a scam.
We have helped a lot of our students over the years start very successful real estate investing businesses who previously had no background in real estate. We have also helped industry veterans grow their existing real estate investment businesses. At the same time, we also have people who haven’t had as much success as we would like yet.
However, we will continue to do everything we can to continually improve what we do, what we teach, and how we help our community of students.
Both Than and I are extremely involved in teaching our classes, both online and at our live events, and we will continue to work hard to help our students in any way we can.
If anyone has a question please feel free to reach out to me directly below.
The only fortunes these guys are building.. are their own.
my question is that why are you promoting no money down and no money to invest if we need to pay for future meeting to get all of thw needed information. I would l9ve to do this but not if I'm already broke trying to make money. Why would I throw it in your hands to make you rich. Maybe I should start doing seminars.
I took the chance and joined FB, they give you the opportunity to partner up with other investors to help pay for the course which is what I did. I wouldn’t call this a scam at all it’s paying for an education, as you would going to college for any curriculum. They show you the practical side of the Real Estate investing business, one one one coaching and the opportunity build a business. Yes there is upselling but not a high pressure pitch, if you want to learn more about commercial RE, RE finance, private money they have a course for it. They provide excellent networking opportunities, most members are more than willing to help each other out and you also get access to the FB website which has a library of information. I recommend going To one of their seminars and get a good understanding of what the program is about, no obligation to join. Believe it or not you may learn something. Don’t judge without knowing...
I have been in real estate for 25 years. We joined Fortune Builders because they promote, teach, and facilitate the correct systems. It has been been beneficial for everyone in our company to receive their training. As in life, there is a cost not only financial, but you get what you put into it. Is it for everyone, I can not say that. Is it legit - Absolutely.
I can legitimately sell you a working pen for $67,000.000. You know one of those walmart standard "Parker" pens.
Will it work? Sure it writes. Is it worth that tag? FRECK no.
What I interpret as "Legit" is not that they will not take your money and run. No.. they WILL sell you a product, but no offense.. they prey on the "lesser".. umm.. "go getters" I guess I would call it.. and sugar coat a "training" that will benefit you.
Seriously.. I have received a 1000000x better training doing it myself, and learning it the "hard"/right way and it didn't cost me 50K
It worked for you.. or at least you think it worked.. and that is great. But absolutely the universal answer is.. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WORK WITH THESE CLOWNS.
This is what they do.. and quite brilliant really.
They post their "episodes" on their site.. ALL super amazing flips that last 2, 3 weeks? and the house is fully gutted and they managed to get amazing ARV and asking price from their flips..
Seriously have you (generic you.. not YOU you) flipped a house before? It does NOT work that way..
WOuld you NOT agree if these people were legit/honest/not trying to scam you.. that they would ALSO show the nightmare flips? The flips that did not work? That cost them money? Honestly... do you not agree?
SO.. all these poor bastards eager to flip see this... and go.. "ohh wow, these guys don't just talk the talk they are awesome flippers.. PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY".. and poom
Again.. does the training work? Well yes and no.. it is a TRAINING. it is a tool it is YOU that needs to use the tool and do the work correctly. They are simply selling you knowledge (at a ridiculous price) and then they market that knowledge as "success". Here you go you gullible dope.. a nicely wrapped package of "success" for you.. that'll be 50K thank you and good luck. Go Git Them Tiger...
It doesnt work?? well gee golly.. we just sold you a training it is up to you to apply it and make it work.
There is ZERO. NONE NO excuse to sell free knowledge that steep I do not care if software, promises tools come with it. Sorry...
they ARE a bunch of scammers!
Fine print.. I have gone to their pitch just out of curiosity and when I heard them talk about how easy wholesaling was I had to resist SO hard to call them out on it and when they started talking about the cost, I just walked a way shaking my head as I walked out thinking "OMG, some of these people are actually buying this load of crap??" and I left... THUS, I do not know the inner details of their package and how AMAZING it probably has to be (as it cost 50K), so I can only speak from that limited, yet very amusing exposure I had.
@Jerryll Noorden - thank you for post/comment. I can only comment on my experience as well as those who work in my company. It has been beneficial and positive. I have been investing in real estate for 25 years as a developer and design build firm.
Most importantly, I am glad you found a system that has worked for you. One system does not work for everyone, and does not fit everyone's needs. Glad you were able to find yours.
@Jerryll Noorden - thank you for post/comment. I can only comment on my experience as well as those who work in my company. It has been beneficial and positive. I have been investing in real estate for 25 years as a developer and design build firm.
Most importantly, I am glad you found a system that has worked for you. One system does not work for everyone, and does not fit everyone's needs. Glad you were able to find yours.
THAT my friend I agree with.
:)
I went to their 3 day class for $197. Was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! i know a bit about real estate, and the things they covered was amazing! LLC;s, solo 401K's, just tons of meaty info. 30 hours for two people. It was a great deal!
I did not buy the $50k package because I got enough out of the 3 day class, and am an ambitious person.
Fortune builders is a great and PROVEN system that works. their forms, software, and mentoring is well worth it for someone that needs their hand held the whole way, and is terrified to take risks.
If you look up the group, Jacksonville Wealth Builders, here in Jacksonville FL, you will see a Than Merrill disciple Alex Sifakis, a great guy! Alex and his team have transformed a group of a couple of guys into one of the best real estate companies in Jacksonville. They probably have 900 lots they own and a couple thousand homes they have purchased for people and then manage for the investors. Its a great system.
I was at a Than Merrill event in Orlando many years ago, we even went over to see Robin's (Thompson) huge house at the time. Its a cool family tree with Robin coming from Ron Legrand. Anyway, JWB came from Than. As with any "guru" there are good ones and bad ones, I have a lot of respect for what Alex and his group have built. Its a great system, but you could learn what you need here and add pieces here and there. Do the same thing.
Buyer beware. They sell dreams.
It is easier to get into FortuneBuilders than to get into the Army! Consider that. FortuneBuilders just wants your money.
What makes FortuneBuilders reprehensible is that they encourage people to go into crushing debt to pay them something equivalent to the cost of a college education knowing full well that 97% will never make their money back.
Disclosure: I went to the 3 day $197 class.
First, why do people that have never payed for a class always say it's rip-off? How do they know?
Think of it this way. It's like paying for a college education or buying a franchise. The school or franchise is going to educate you, and sell you a PROVEN SYSTEM that works, BUT they will not do the work for you.
That is why some succeed, and some fail. Why some people with masters degrees work minimum wage jobs. Why some franchise owners go bankrupt.
THERE IS NO GET RICH QUICK SECRET! YOU HAVE TO EDUCATE YOURSELF, ELIMINATE AS MUCH RISK AS POSSIBLE, FOLLOW SYSTEMS THAT WORK (FB), WORK YOUR *** OFF!.
Okay, rant over.
my question is that why are you promoting no money down and no money to invest if we need to pay for future meeting to get all of thw needed information. I would l9ve to do this but not if I'm already broke trying to make money. Why would I throw it in your hands to make you rich. Maybe I should start doing seminars.
Bingo. Q: Why do you rob banks? A: Because thats where the money is.
I'm not going to say whether or not they're a scam, because I can see both sides: on one side, it's an expensive education with no guarantees; on the other side, there are cheaper educations available, and the guarantees are just as good.
But what I find funny is the marketing.
While my carpool buddy and I are driving from Los Angeles to Orange County, we hear on the radio: "Hi, I'm Than Merrill, and I wanted to tell you the Los Angeles market is just ripe for a few motivated individuals to try my special wealth building program ..."
Then I drive down to San Diego to visit my son, and I hear on the radio, "Hi, I'm Than Merrill, and I wanted to tell you the San Diego market is just ripe for a few motivated individuals to try my special wealth building program ..."
Then I drive up to Central California to check out some properties, and I hear on the radio, "Hi, I'm Than Merrill, and I wanted to tell you the Fresno market is just ripe for a few motivated individuals to try my special wealth building program ..."
SO ---
I'm imagining, no matter where I drive, I might hear on the radio, "Hi, I'm Than Merrill, and I wanted to tell you the {INSERT CITY HERE} market is just ripe for a few motivated individuals to try my special wealth building program ..."
I expect some day in the distant future to be on a Mars Lander -- "Hello, this is Houston Control, Houston Control -- we have a message here from a Than Merrill, who wants to tell you the Martian market is just ripe for a few motivated individuals to try his special wealth building program ..."
If you are a newbie with no experience, you should not be paying for any education program yet. There's so much out there for FREE. You could spend 6 months or more and never put a dent in the free information. After you build that knowledge, you'll have a better ideal of which programs may benefit you or not. Some people can do it with no help, others need more help. Some can get away with education programs, while others need a 1-on-1 mentor to motivate them daily, hold their hand along the way, or kick them in the butt when they're slacking. To each their own, but DO YOU DUE DILIGENCE before paying anyone.
Agree with @Jeff Filali. There’s no reason to pay so much when it’s out there for free. With the amount you’d pay for one of these seminars, you could already have bought a house and begun your investing career.
I went to a Than Merrill intro seminar once just to see what it’s like. The setup is very suspect. They design the layout so that once you’re in it is very hard to exit. Several layers of people block you from leaving and they lay their pitch out hard.
The man speaking wasn’t Than, but some old salesy guy who look like he made some bad decisions in life. It was sad seeing people respond to his classic marketing calls to action....people would sensationally jump up with a handful of cash (probably all they had).
Between the plethora of podcasts, blogs, books, etc, there’s no reason to ever sign up for one of these. Way better to build your portfolio and then think about how to join a reputable mastermind group who can challenge you to expand your potential.
This is Paul Esajian and I am business partners with Than.
If anyone ever has a question about our company please feel free to contact me personally. My contact information is at the bottom of my post.
Neither Than, nor I, would ever claim that we are the be-all-end-all of real estate.
We have been personally investing in real estate for over 13 years. We focus on both residential and commercial real estate and have had a lot of success over that time frame. We currently have 30+ different real estate projects either under construction or on the market....
@Paul - I respect your response and that you took the time to write it. Your business would get much respect if you also pledged not to accept credit card payments for any amount over $300, unless the student is an accredited investor.
@Justin R. curious - why $300?
@Justin R. curious - why $300?
Because he's the expert on what people should spend/charge for a class.
I learned by just throwing caution to the wind and buying something. And that was a great way to learn. Toss yourself in the deep end. That, and I was oh-so-lucky to become friends (by chance) with someone that was doing the exact same thing (buying multifmaily in our small pocket of Houston). We'd meet for beers 3-4 times a week during the day. Talk about the business over and over and over.
I never took a class. Either did he. I got to over 1000 units. He got to 2000 before selling everything and taking a **SICK** amount of money off the table and building a 30k SF home.
So classes are not needed for everyone. But here is another truth: CLASSES WILL NOT HELP EVERYONE. If you're not motivated to actually DO the work and take the risk, then no class in the world will help you.
@Cody L. not understanding your post on why $300 is a limit, please explain.