Than Merrill legit or scam?

Than Merrill legit or scam?

Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 2 votes
I saw a commercial about real estate investing on tv today his name was Than Merril he was advertising his real estate course,he was saying things like you don't need any credit or no money down. Has anyone heard anything about him, is he a scammer or is he legit? I'm petty skeptical about this but I wanted to hear what you guys thought about him, have any of you taken his course? Or heard anything positive about him? Thanks and happy holidays!
0Reply
571 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Raffaello Cervera - you should try Googling him.  He was on a flipping show on HGTV about 10 years ago and rode that fame to a Guru program.  What was being advertised is a typical Guru pitch.  They give you free tickets to the first meeting.  Then they spend that meeting pitching you about the second meeting which might cost a few hundred dollars.  If you shell out the few hundred dollars, you get to go to the second meeting where they spend the whole time pitching the third meeting.  Third meeting will be anywhere from $10K to $50K.

If you have $50K to shell out on that junk, then you might as well jump in and give it a shot at whatever it is you want to learn.  Even if you lose all your money, you'll most likely have learned a lot more than had you given it to a "Guru".

See this reply in the discussion

112 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    Do Not Waste Your Money On It!!

    The best thing you can do is find local investors at local REIA groups, network, build relationships with experienced investors and learn that way. There's WAY more than enough info on this site to get started.

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    My 2 cents worth on the Than Merrill and Fortune Builders thing:  I heard the radio ad so I must give credit for him lighting the fire under me to stop thinking about it and start DOING it.  I paid $200 for the 3 day seminar.  Do I feel ripped off? Not really. I did get tons of good, useful info.  But they are trying to see who has $50k, $30k, $10k to invest with them. I prefer Brandon Turner's advice at BP who says, "Put that money into your first property." This ultimately led me to Bigger Pockets where you can pretty much get valuable tools and teaching for much less. So I'm here now.. but credit for starting my short journey so far goes to Than.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    It is not a scam if you apply what your taught. My wife and I considered it after a 1 day event. The reason we passed is we have been to many events like his and had enough books, tapes, and cd's. What we lacked was contacts (are free) and experience (cost money). Surround yourself with doer's. I've traded a free boat to me as deposit with owner financing for a home. That's NO MONEY Down. Robin T. (The Queen of Rehab) was the first guru that told us what to avoid. That 1 day workshop was worth 50x what we spent for it.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    I would recommend getting your CCIM designation.  It's a fraction of the cost of these 'gurus' and you actually get an education without an agenda.  In addition, you are part of a large network of real estate professionals.

  • Will FraserPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    If only Bigger Pockets hadn't provided about the same value as these $10k-30k guru courses at a clip of $25-50 a pop!  Thank you @Brandon Turner and crew for leading out by delivering excellent content for "low and no money" down instead of selling us courses!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Kearney, MO · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Raffaello Cervera

    I purchased Fortunebuilders program, and I can say the experience has been positive. Their bootcamps are well put together and I get a lot of information out of each one. Other than my personal residence, I had zero experience in real estate. 3 years later, I own 7 rentals. I don’t think I would be where I am at without Fortunebuilders. I gained enough confidence through their systems to get where I am today. I would do it again, despite the high cost of the program. So to cut it short, I would not call Fortunebuilders a scam.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    I went to the free seminar today. The guys who sign you up were short and rude when I had questions about taking literature home with me to look at. I spoke to the speaker and asked him if I we would get a follow up email because I needed to get back to work. (They went over the 2 hours we were told it would be.) He said I had to fill out their application  and then spoke to me over his microphone headset, in front of 50 people, as I walked out. He actually said this was not the time to leave and that I cant be successful by walking out... in front of everyone! I was mortified! I just continued to walk out. 

  • Wholesaler · Morris County New Jersey · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    They try to reel you in after doing a long discussion with you and try to get you to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on information you could easily obtain yourself by reading books, podcasts, and going on biggerpockets!

  • Alhambra, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Hello Raffaello Cervera:

    I was/still am... a student of Than Merrill. Believe me he is NOT a scam.  I have learned so much from HIM and HIS company that I'm so glad I took the opportunity to register and attend this classes you call SCAM!!

    Been a newbie in the RE field... yes you are skeptical and not sure if you are doing the right thing, but after these training seminars, believe me you come out with such energy and confidence that you just can't wait to start your own thing.  I've started the RE Investing back on 2017 and still going back for more info... as much as I can get. The software his provides is  an excellent tool for you growing business.  

    And yes... I HIGLY RECOMMEND, just google his company you'll be amazed of information just waiting for you to sponge in.

    Great day !!

  • Rental Property Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    That program they offer with Than is one of those guru over priced programs that you hear about on BP podcasts. Instead use the $$$ and get yourself a rental or two.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 322 posts · 238 votes
    6y

    Hi @Raffaello Cervera! So, Than is actually now a guru in my book. His info is totally legit. However, the price you pay for their course is absurd. You could get just as much knowledge in this business by taking the 10k to 20k that is required for their course (the last time I looked) and use that money to invest in real estate. Either by marketing or by using that money as a down payment for a loan. Seriously, in my experience the best knowledge comes from being in the trenches and doing deals.

    All that being said. For those who are already doing deals and are looking to take their business to the next level a Mastermind like Than Merril or others is a good idea. I think Than's course is a little over-hyped but that was how I got started. At least, I won tickets to a weekend seminar on the radio (years ago) on my way to one of my business college classes and that is what planted a seed for my wife and I. I found their box of information on ebay for around $300 or $400 which became priceless. It is somewhat outdated now because they show you what finishes to use for flips and stuff but most of the info was still relevant. That course was $10,000 and we bought all of the materials for next to nothing. Later I found Biggerpockets and realized this was the best source I was ever going to find. Lol! And being on BP is free if you choose!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.