How will market trends affect appreciation In Columbus area for 2023 ?

How will market trends affect appreciation In Columbus area for 2023 ?

Member since 2022 · 55 posts · 77 votes

Hi BP community, Ive been researching a-lot into the Columbus area, and plan on buying my first rental there once I graduate from college. I've been watching a-lot of podcasts, and each one has a different opinion on how appreciation will affect the market going into the next year. What I want to know is what the BP thinks about how market trends will affect the Columbus area in 2023, and will it still be a good year for a newbie in the space to buy his first property !

2Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan StyerBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 396 votes
3y

Anything you hear from anyone is just a guess, no one knows the future. That being said, here's mine: 

Intel is going to have a crazy impact on Central Ohio, beyond just Columbus. The housing demand is only going to increase, and we are currently in a shortage. There may be a dip nationwide, I just don't see Columbus going anywhere but up, barring something majorly unforeseen. 

This Intel chip fab is going to be the biggest in the world, and the entire country needs it. It's funded by the federal government, so it's happening. We just don't have enough housing, and it's not being built fast enough, so prices are just going to go up. Again, this is just my opinion. If you're looking to buy in Columbus, now is the time, well, 

Feel free to reach out to me if you want more info on what's happening with Intel. 

Styer Real Estate Professionals4.941 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Colby Zeller,  You make money when you buy, so be ready to recognize opportunities and act on them. Run the numbers, stay rational, and avoid making emotional decisions. Let me know if you need help or advice. Good luck with your investing!

  • Jonathan StyerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 396 votes
    3y

    Anything you hear from anyone is just a guess, no one knows the future. That being said, here's mine: 

    Intel is going to have a crazy impact on Central Ohio, beyond just Columbus. The housing demand is only going to increase, and we are currently in a shortage. There may be a dip nationwide, I just don't see Columbus going anywhere but up, barring something majorly unforeseen. 

    This Intel chip fab is going to be the biggest in the world, and the entire country needs it. It's funded by the federal government, so it's happening. We just don't have enough housing, and it's not being built fast enough, so prices are just going to go up. Again, this is just my opinion. If you're looking to buy in Columbus, now is the time, well, 

    Feel free to reach out to me if you want more info on what's happening with Intel. 

    Styer Real Estate Professionals4.941 Reviews
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Colby Zeller:

    Hi BP community, Ive been researching a-lot into the Columbus area, and plan on buying my first rental there once I graduate from college. I've been watching a-lot of podcasts, and each one has a different opinion on how appreciation will affect the market going into the next year. What I want to know is what the BP thinks about how market trends will affect the Columbus area in 2023, and will it still be a good year for a newbie in the space to buy his first property !

    My philosophy is - It's better to invest in real estate with a long-term strategy at any point, then try to time the market.Why timing the real estate market rarely works

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2011 · 606 posts · 413 votes
    3y

    Columbus is a good market since the values are moving up but not overheated like many other major metro areas.  There are house you can buy and still cash flow in many parts of Ohio and Columbus is one of them.  I am not sure what you are looking to do in real estate but always make sure the property will cash flow.  You can weather any market if the property brings in money each month even if the value drops because eventually the value will rebound.  

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Colby Zeller:

    Hi BP community, Ive been researching a-lot into the Columbus area, and plan on buying my first rental there once I graduate from college. I've been watching a-lot of podcasts, and each one has a different opinion on how appreciation will affect the market going into the next year. What I want to know is what the BP thinks about how market trends will affect the Columbus area in 2023, and will it still be a good year for a newbie in the space to buy his first property !


    https://www.zillow.com/home-va... 

    looks solid to me in term of chart, better than san francisco LOL
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Colby Zeller:

    Hi BP community, Ive been researching a-lot into the Columbus area, and plan on buying my first rental there once I graduate from college. I've been watching a-lot of podcasts, and each one has a different opinion on how appreciation will affect the market going into the next year. What I want to know is what the BP thinks about how market trends will affect the Columbus area in 2023, and will it still be a good year for a newbie in the space to buy his first property !


    Columbus, Ohio is one of the best cities to invest in real estate in my opinion. It's the only city in the rust belt which the population is growing year-after-year. As a real estate investor, you want to find where people are headed and jobs are going - all signs are leading to Columbus! Also, Intel is building its gigafactory here in New Albany, which will mean massive growth in the next decade or two. As a local investor and agent here, if you have any questions about Columbus, I'd love to help!

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 664 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Remington Lyman:
    Quote from @Colby Zeller:

    Hi BP community, Ive been researching a-lot into the Columbus area, and plan on buying my first rental there once I graduate from college. I've been watching a-lot of podcasts, and each one has a different opinion on how appreciation will affect the market going into the next year. What I want to know is what the BP thinks about how market trends will affect the Columbus area in 2023, and will it still be a good year for a newbie in the space to buy his first property !

    My philosophy is - It's better to invest in real estate with a long-term strategy at any point, then try to time the market.Why timing the real estate market rarely works

     Yeah I'm with @Remington Lyman here. Dollar cost average Real Estate and you'll be good to go. Takes the exhausting market timing out of things. I've been buying in Columbus OH since 2019 and have bought at least 6 doors a year. 

    My thought is maybe when debt service is expensive you acquire in cheaper areas but still my goal is to buy another 6 doors. Also keep in mind that many people look at year 1 COC returns. If your plan is to hold for the long term that year 5 will be there too.

  • Hamp Lee IIIPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    3y

    It's always a good time to buy. There are deals out there that make sense for you and your wallet. Keep educating yourself and take action. 

    There are many programs for first-time buyers as well.

    If you need an investor-friendly agent in your area, let me know. I'll get you connected.

    I wish you all the best!

  • Member since 2022 · 55 posts · 77 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Colby Zeller:

    Hi BP community, Ive been researching a-lot into the Columbus area, and plan on buying my first rental there once I graduate from college. I've been watching a-lot of podcasts, and each one has a different opinion on how appreciation will affect the market going into the next year. What I want to know is what the BP thinks about how market trends will affect the Columbus area in 2023, and will it still be a good year for a newbie in the space to buy his first property !


    https://www.zillow.com/home-va... 

    looks solid to me in term of chart, better than san francisco LOL

     LOL

  • Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 269 posts · 135 votes
    3y

    Timing the market is hard. It's important to have a strategy and run the numbers on any property. If it makes sense long term then go for it. Hope this helps!

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    The Columbus market has been performing at a level much higher than many other cities in America. I've personally invested my entire portfolio in Columbus and have been very profitable. I am in the market searching and looking to buy again. 

    Most of my clients from out-of-state and in-state are buying right now because they know what their properties will be worth in the up-coming 2-3 years with the new developments like (Intel, amazon, Honda giga-factory, whitehall development, etc..). 

    Let me know if you want to connect and learn more about the Columbus market and where to invest for the high CoC returns.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.