the trend that company move to Texas

the trend that company move to Texas

Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes

so based on these recent huge tech layoffs in CA, there's structural job changes that due to Fed Interest Rate, tech company can not longer operating in sustainable fashion in CA, so they have to move operation. Either to Texas, to India to Arizona or to Florida. So even company is moving out. This would obviously trigger more out-migration. One biggest S&P company is saying to their employee, either you move to Texas or we give you severance package !

I think the trend is pretty clear for next decade. There is more growth in TX,AZ,OH,WI,FL/India most likely. This is the trend that's very apparent. Texas is good in particular because cost of doing business is "moderate" with ample size of headcount available in the market and practically has no housing issue. What do you see in Texas ?

6Reply
422 views

Most Popular Reply

Alecia LovelessPro Member
Member since 2019 路 3k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
2y

@Carlos Ptriawan Many areas in Texas have seen unreasonable property tax increases over the past few years. My sister owns 17 SFH that she bought in Denton TX more than a decade ago and refinanced to low interest rates during the pandemic. Most of them have less than $130,000 left on their mortgage but have appreciated to around $350,000. Their property taxes have gone up by approximately 60% each year for the past 3 years and 40% for several years before that. She barely breaks even now on these properties that were once her retirement plan and if she has any unexpected expenses forget it, those all come out of her pocket.

All of the tax dollars are going to widen roads to support more people moving to the area and to build more schools to accommodate the influx of kids. There are no benefits to the property owners that aren鈥檛 using these things.

She wanted a new investment in Texas and showed me a 6 unit apartment building that was $1.4M and after expenses LOST $3875/month. I told her to forget ever buying a property that lost money unless maybe it was waterfront and to let me find something. We bought a 5 unit property for $340K that cash flows$2000/month. What a difference!

See this reply in the discussion

117 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ 路 Member since 2020 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    2y

    @v.g 

    @V.G Jason uh,... some where north / north west of Houston, about a couple of "beltways" out.. I was just poking around because I was talking with another investor who was working in that houston area.  

    I don't know..  A $800k, probably now $700k house with $5.5k taxes...  That was the trend I was seeing...  (shrug)  There was some sort of homeowner fee, but its was minimal, like a few hundred for the YEAR.

    But llike i said, some $19k annual in insurance!!  I can't see why I hear people complaining about the property taxes in TX while the insurance is more than my property taxes in a "non-luxury house" in NJ, in the suburbs/rural area.

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @v.g 

    @V.G Jason uh,... some where north / north west of Houston, about a couple of "beltways" out.. I was just poking around because I was talking with another investor who was working in that houston area.  

    I don't know..  A $800k, probably now $700k house with $5.5k taxes...  That was the trend I was seeing...  (shrug)  There was some sort of homeowner fee, but its was minimal, like a few hundred for the YEAR.

    But llike i said, some $19k annual in insurance!!  I can't see why I hear people complaining about the property taxes in TX while the insurance is more than my property taxes in a "non-luxury house" in NJ, in the suburbs/rural area.


     What's funny about this after all investors are bashing the California property, now TX has its own turn too lol so where we should invest ? Alabama ? it almost no tax in there lol.

  • Morris County, NJ 路 Member since 2020 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Carlos Ptriawan the stats I've seen say they are already moving to OK...  (shrug)

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2012 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Yeah, its just what I see, from NJ...

    The sales tax is much higher for one.  That makes it much more regressive.

    As for the property tax, I absolutely admit it I don't know.  If you notice I don't address it directly.  I'm from NY/NJ area and invest locally.  So, "all of you yuse" just don't make sense.  In poking around, in the greater Houston area there is a 8000 sq ft house with yards and pool has a property tax of I think $5.5k...  My 2000 sqft house with some grass, no pool in a purposely cheaper municipality is $15k.  You can't even get a crappy starter home in the "rural areas" out here for less than $7k of taxes  LOL

    Then, there is the CONCEPT that renters do pay property taxes, just indirectly through their rent.

    (shrug) :)


     You live in area near Parsippany ? During dotcom bust I also tried to move out of CA, to your area in NJ near 287/Route 22. But the environment and tech scene there was depressing for someone from the bay LOL  it was like 1/8 of the bay. But that time, home price is still 400k-ish in the bay, while our wage relatively remains the same. Good thing about NJ is there're abundant of Indian grocery store just like in the bay, that would attract tech talent for sure. In bay the grocery store was like every 0.4 miles, much more easier to find Biryani joint than burger joint. NJ can become tech center due to Rutgers and Princeton, but it never developed, I see Austin and RTP is more developing in tech scene, although there're not much university in RTP. Austin has A&M.

     You kinda answered your own concern by saying that you were considering moving to NJ but didn't due to the relative tech scene. Lets face it. The Bay area has all the infrastructure in place already. Venture capital is very prevalent there. If one has an incredible tech idea then its much more likely to get funded in the bay area vs nj or even austin. Two, the local universities such as Berkeley and Stanford are very unique, internationally known excellence and devoted to the tech scene producing top notch tech folks. 

    Atx has a tech scene but it pales in comparison to the bay area. We have University of Texas and Texas State to the south of Austin. Although both are great universities they aren't in the unique position as Stanford and Berkeley. We do have venture capital but its relatively small. 

    It doesn't really sound like the Bay Area is going through a seismic change in work. https://labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/sanf$pds.pdf According to the data that is coming out the bay area unemployment is at 3.4% and increase from 2.4%. Even though its an increase its not out of the norm for the country. It seems that tech work has decreased but its not a tidal wave nor do I expect it. The bay area has been synonymous with tech innovation for decades. 

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Aaron Gordy:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Yeah, its just what I see, from NJ...

    The sales tax is much higher for one.  That makes it much more regressive.

    As for the property tax, I absolutely admit it I don't know.  If you notice I don't address it directly.  I'm from NY/NJ area and invest locally.  So, "all of you yuse" just don't make sense.  In poking around, in the greater Houston area there is a 8000 sq ft house with yards and pool has a property tax of I think $5.5k...  My 2000 sqft house with some grass, no pool in a purposely cheaper municipality is $15k.  You can't even get a crappy starter home in the "rural areas" out here for less than $7k of taxes  LOL

    Then, there is the CONCEPT that renters do pay property taxes, just indirectly through their rent.

    (shrug) :)


     You live in area near Parsippany ? During dotcom bust I also tried to move out of CA, to your area in NJ near 287/Route 22. But the environment and tech scene there was depressing for someone from the bay LOL  it was like 1/8 of the bay. But that time, home price is still 400k-ish in the bay, while our wage relatively remains the same. Good thing about NJ is there're abundant of Indian grocery store just like in the bay, that would attract tech talent for sure. In bay the grocery store was like every 0.4 miles, much more easier to find Biryani joint than burger joint. NJ can become tech center due to Rutgers and Princeton, but it never developed, I see Austin and RTP is more developing in tech scene, although there're not much university in RTP. Austin has A&M.

     You kinda answered your own concern by saying that you were considering moving to NJ but didn't due to the relative tech scene. Lets face it. The Bay area has all the infrastructure in place already. Venture capital is very prevalent there. If one has an incredible tech idea then its much more likely to get funded in the bay area vs nj or even austin. Two, the local universities such as Berkeley and Stanford are very unique, internationally known excellence and devoted to the tech scene producing top notch tech folks. 

    Atx has a tech scene but it pales in comparison to the bay area. We have University of Texas and Texas State to the south of Austin. Although both are great universities they aren't in the unique position as Stanford and Berkeley. We do have venture capital but its relatively small. 

    It doesn't really sound like the Bay Area is going through a seismic change in work. https://labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/sanf$pds.pdf According to the data that is coming out the bay area unemployment is at 3.4% and increase from 2.4%. Even though its an increase its not out of the norm for the country. It seems that tech work has decreased but its not a tidal wave nor do I expect it. The bay area has been synonymous with tech innovation for decades. 


     these numbers are far from accurate

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Minneapolis, MN 路 Member since 2011 路 5k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @v.g 

    @V.G Jason uh,... some where north / north west of Houston, about a couple of "beltways" out.. I was just poking around because I was talking with another investor who was working in that houston area.  

    I don't know..  A $800k, probably now $700k house with $5.5k taxes...  That was the trend I was seeing...  (shrug)  There was some sort of homeowner fee, but its was minimal, like a few hundred for the YEAR.

    But llike i said, some $19k annual in insurance!!  I can't see why I hear people complaining about the property taxes in TX while the insurance is more than my property taxes in a "non-luxury house" in NJ, in the suburbs/rural area.


     What's funny about this after all investors are bashing the California property, now TX has its own turn too lol so where we should invest ? Alabama ? it almost no tax in there lol.

    Depends, on which way some tides go this year. Some market's could change control, direction, and with that where is best going forward. 

    The below was from '22', and not how barely blue the blue is, how limited in scope, and how DEEPLY red the red is. And one part was "kings" of ballot harvesting, the other did 0, I'll let you guess who was who in that regard. A policy those who didn't, are now STRONGLY reconsidering. I think they should, I think it will be interesting when 150% of population votes. population so engaged that even the dead vote, now that's civic duty to not even let death get in the way. Lol. 

    My thought's; where WILL-BE best, may not yet be widely identifiable for what it soon, will be. Good market under different paradigm of things...... 

    And this is just 1 example, my gut says some sand's will be shifting and those shift's could hold BIG implications going forward. 

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2012 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y

    What is your rationale for suggesting that those statisticians are inaccurate? 

  • Morris County, NJ 路 Member since 2020 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Carlos Ptriawan

    Isn't that the point of your thread?  CA moves to TX, and it effectively brings its problems with it.  The increased demand and wages/salaries drives up everything...  TX has its own natural disaster issue..  But, its the place to go for a business.. okay...

    Now this is getting annoying.  You told me the point of your thread is to discuss the businesses directions.  If you want to get ahead of the trend and invest long term, of course, you need to "guess" at the next trend.  The TX trend has already happened. Its the beginning, of course, not the end.  As I sasid, people are already moving to the neighboring states and driving up prices, etc.

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Aaron Gordy:

    What is your rationale for suggesting that those statisticians are inaccurate? 


     Actual number was way much more higher.
    WARN tracker is indicating more 1 mil has been lost in aggregate.

    https://www.warntracker.com/?state=CA

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Carlos Ptriawan

    Isn't that the point of your thread?  CA moves to TX, and it effectively brings its problems with it.  The increased demand and wages/salaries drives up everything...  TX has its own natural disaster issue..  But, its the place to go for a business.. okay...

    Now this is getting annoying.  You told me the point of your thread is to discuss the businesses directions.  If you want to get ahead of the trend and invest long term, of course, you need to "guess" at the next trend.  The TX trend has already happened. Its the beginning, of course, not the end.  As I sasid, people are already moving to the neighboring states and driving up prices, etc.

     What's funny is it's becoming thread like NJ/AZ is better than TX and so forth , than actually giving a proper analytics of what's really happening *inside* TX job market.  We just want to know if it's real trend or not, for example. Apple is moving all the GPU team in there, how diversify the ecnomy is .... etc,etc.

    We know problem with insurance/tax in NJ/AZ/FL/CA but that's not the issue lol..... that property tax issue is always there regardless the Californian moving there or not lol

    OK your property tax in NJ is low, then so what ? ask Apple and Microsoft to move campus to Newark, NJ ? LOL

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 CA 路 Member since 2023 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Aaron Gordy:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Yeah, its just what I see, from NJ...

    The sales tax is much higher for one.  That makes it much more regressive.

    As for the property tax, I absolutely admit it I don't know.  If you notice I don't address it directly.  I'm from NY/NJ area and invest locally.  So, "all of you yuse" just don't make sense.  In poking around, in the greater Houston area there is a 8000 sq ft house with yards and pool has a property tax of I think $5.5k...  My 2000 sqft house with some grass, no pool in a purposely cheaper municipality is $15k.  You can't even get a crappy starter home in the "rural areas" out here for less than $7k of taxes  LOL

    Then, there is the CONCEPT that renters do pay property taxes, just indirectly through their rent.

    (shrug) :)


     You live in area near Parsippany ? During dotcom bust I also tried to move out of CA, to your area in NJ near 287/Route 22. But the environment and tech scene there was depressing for someone from the bay LOL  it was like 1/8 of the bay. But that time, home price is still 400k-ish in the bay, while our wage relatively remains the same. Good thing about NJ is there're abundant of Indian grocery store just like in the bay, that would attract tech talent for sure. In bay the grocery store was like every 0.4 miles, much more easier to find Biryani joint than burger joint. NJ can become tech center due to Rutgers and Princeton, but it never developed, I see Austin and RTP is more developing in tech scene, although there're not much university in RTP. Austin has A&M.

     You kinda answered your own concern by saying that you were considering moving to NJ but didn't due to the relative tech scene. Lets face it. The Bay area has all the infrastructure in place already. Venture capital is very prevalent there. If one has an incredible tech idea then its much more likely to get funded in the bay area vs nj or even austin. Two, the local universities such as Berkeley and Stanford are very unique, internationally known excellence and devoted to the tech scene producing top notch tech folks. 

    Atx has a tech scene but it pales in comparison to the bay area. We have University of Texas and Texas State to the south of Austin. Although both are great universities they aren't in the unique position as Stanford and Berkeley. We do have venture capital but its relatively small. 

    It doesn't really sound like the Bay Area is going through a seismic change in work. https://labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/sanf$pds.pdf According to the data that is coming out the bay area unemployment is at 3.4% and increase from 2.4%. Even though its an increase its not out of the norm for the country. It seems that tech work has decreased but its not a tidal wave nor do I expect it. The bay area has been synonymous with tech innovation for decades. 


     these numbers are far from accurate


     IKR! 

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan F.:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Aaron Gordy:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Yeah, its just what I see, from NJ...

    The sales tax is much higher for one.  That makes it much more regressive.

    As for the property tax, I absolutely admit it I don't know.  If you notice I don't address it directly.  I'm from NY/NJ area and invest locally.  So, "all of you yuse" just don't make sense.  In poking around, in the greater Houston area there is a 8000 sq ft house with yards and pool has a property tax of I think $5.5k...  My 2000 sqft house with some grass, no pool in a purposely cheaper municipality is $15k.  You can't even get a crappy starter home in the "rural areas" out here for less than $7k of taxes  LOL

    Then, there is the CONCEPT that renters do pay property taxes, just indirectly through their rent.

    (shrug) :)


     You live in area near Parsippany ? During dotcom bust I also tried to move out of CA, to your area in NJ near 287/Route 22. But the environment and tech scene there was depressing for someone from the bay LOL  it was like 1/8 of the bay. But that time, home price is still 400k-ish in the bay, while our wage relatively remains the same. Good thing about NJ is there're abundant of Indian grocery store just like in the bay, that would attract tech talent for sure. In bay the grocery store was like every 0.4 miles, much more easier to find Biryani joint than burger joint. NJ can become tech center due to Rutgers and Princeton, but it never developed, I see Austin and RTP is more developing in tech scene, although there're not much university in RTP. Austin has A&M.

     You kinda answered your own concern by saying that you were considering moving to NJ but didn't due to the relative tech scene. Lets face it. The Bay area has all the infrastructure in place already. Venture capital is very prevalent there. If one has an incredible tech idea then its much more likely to get funded in the bay area vs nj or even austin. Two, the local universities such as Berkeley and Stanford are very unique, internationally known excellence and devoted to the tech scene producing top notch tech folks. 

    Atx has a tech scene but it pales in comparison to the bay area. We have University of Texas and Texas State to the south of Austin. Although both are great universities they aren't in the unique position as Stanford and Berkeley. We do have venture capital but its relatively small. 

    It doesn't really sound like the Bay Area is going through a seismic change in work. https://labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/sanf$pds.pdf According to the data that is coming out the bay area unemployment is at 3.4% and increase from 2.4%. Even though its an increase its not out of the norm for the country. It seems that tech work has decreased but its not a tidal wave nor do I expect it. The bay area has been synonymous with tech innovation for decades. 


     these numbers are far from accurate


     IKR! 


     Most people can't grasp the idea that company like Apple now (yes biggest company in planet earth) has NEGATIVE YoY Revenue in 2023 and they're into cost cutting mode. This is Apple we are talking about, biggest tech co. in the world.

    They say I will kick you out from Cupertino if you don't want to move to Austin LOL tech recession is here.

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 CA 路 Member since 2023 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Aaron Gordy:

    What is your rationale for suggesting that those statisticians are inaccurate? 


     U3 unemployment "rate" doesn't tell the whole story, there's more to unpack. Check BLS & U6

    VC bailed in July, Y combinator meetings look more like a beggars banquet & pitch decks are worth less than a deck of cards.

    Its somewhat doubtful that AI will carry the bulk of the labor force, especially considering it's designed target is eliminating $180k year admins etc.

    Yes we've always been the tech hub, the question is how much market compression will happen in "middle income jobs" 120k to 180k

    4-1-24 fast food min.wage is $20 p/hr

    All things being relative of course most will be ok, but market compression does affect some, not all, but some. Chances are there'll be more outmigration to Texas.

    BTW I love texas, all my ex's are there 馃槈

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan F.:

    BTW I love texas, all my ex's are there 馃槈


     these are the best note so far hahaha lol

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant 路 San Diego / Phoenix 路 Member since 2021 路 12k+ posts 路 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan F.:

     Ok, George.....

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Minneapolis, MN 路 Member since 2011 路 5k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Alan F.:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Aaron Gordy:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Yeah, its just what I see, from NJ...

    The sales tax is much higher for one.  That makes it much more regressive.

    As for the property tax, I absolutely admit it I don't know.  If you notice I don't address it directly.  I'm from NY/NJ area and invest locally.  So, "all of you yuse" just don't make sense.  In poking around, in the greater Houston area there is a 8000 sq ft house with yards and pool has a property tax of I think $5.5k...  My 2000 sqft house with some grass, no pool in a purposely cheaper municipality is $15k.  You can't even get a crappy starter home in the "rural areas" out here for less than $7k of taxes  LOL

    Then, there is the CONCEPT that renters do pay property taxes, just indirectly through their rent.

    (shrug) :)


     You live in area near Parsippany ? During dotcom bust I also tried to move out of CA, to your area in NJ near 287/Route 22. But the environment and tech scene there was depressing for someone from the bay LOL  it was like 1/8 of the bay. But that time, home price is still 400k-ish in the bay, while our wage relatively remains the same. Good thing about NJ is there're abundant of Indian grocery store just like in the bay, that would attract tech talent for sure. In bay the grocery store was like every 0.4 miles, much more easier to find Biryani joint than burger joint. NJ can become tech center due to Rutgers and Princeton, but it never developed, I see Austin and RTP is more developing in tech scene, although there're not much university in RTP. Austin has A&M.

     You kinda answered your own concern by saying that you were considering moving to NJ but didn't due to the relative tech scene. Lets face it. The Bay area has all the infrastructure in place already. Venture capital is very prevalent there. If one has an incredible tech idea then its much more likely to get funded in the bay area vs nj or even austin. Two, the local universities such as Berkeley and Stanford are very unique, internationally known excellence and devoted to the tech scene producing top notch tech folks. 

    Atx has a tech scene but it pales in comparison to the bay area. We have University of Texas and Texas State to the south of Austin. Although both are great universities they aren't in the unique position as Stanford and Berkeley. We do have venture capital but its relatively small. 

    It doesn't really sound like the Bay Area is going through a seismic change in work. https://labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/sanf$pds.pdf According to the data that is coming out the bay area unemployment is at 3.4% and increase from 2.4%. Even though its an increase its not out of the norm for the country. It seems that tech work has decreased but its not a tidal wave nor do I expect it. The bay area has been synonymous with tech innovation for decades. 


     these numbers are far from accurate


     IKR! 


     Most people can't grasp the idea that company like Apple now (yes biggest company in planet earth) has NEGATIVE YoY Revenue in 2023 and they're into cost cutting mode. This is Apple we are talking about, biggest tech co. in the world.

    They say I will kick you out from Cupertino if you don't want to move to Austin LOL tech recession is here.

    Sorry, not to be the nerd in front row correcting the teacher but, Apple is #4, not 1. 

    Walmart still holds #1, followed by Amazon, Exxon than Apple. 

    If look up top 15 state location for Forbes 500 companies, (eh hem, MN #10, lol) I gotta imagine those in CA or NY are going to be strongly looking at this list too and saying "well, wondering if the 25 in OH, 20 in FL, 19 in GA or 18 in MN are having any regret's." and doing some cost-benefit analysis on "what-if" for proven local's of HQ. 

    TX sitting with 49 doesn't seem a coincidence. CA/NY at 53, doesn't seem so much the "power-house" of a "must-be" location anymore, no. Starting to feel more like the hold-out's for yesteryear doesn't it.  

    Side note, #1 largest private company is Cargill, and I believe Carlson Companies is #2. Or vice versa. Both MN based.... just saying. 

    The popularly believed slogans of life revolves around CA, TX, NY, FL, may be a lot more "slogans" than metrics of reality. Not saying any are "bad" just, there is a TON of "life" in other places as well. 

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Alan F.:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Aaron Gordy:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Yeah, its just what I see, from NJ...

    The sales tax is much higher for one.  That makes it much more regressive.

    As for the property tax, I absolutely admit it I don't know.  If you notice I don't address it directly.  I'm from NY/NJ area and invest locally.  So, "all of you yuse" just don't make sense.  In poking around, in the greater Houston area there is a 8000 sq ft house with yards and pool has a property tax of I think $5.5k...  My 2000 sqft house with some grass, no pool in a purposely cheaper municipality is $15k.  You can't even get a crappy starter home in the "rural areas" out here for less than $7k of taxes  LOL

    Then, there is the CONCEPT that renters do pay property taxes, just indirectly through their rent.

    (shrug) :)


     You live in area near Parsippany ? During dotcom bust I also tried to move out of CA, to your area in NJ near 287/Route 22. But the environment and tech scene there was depressing for someone from the bay LOL  it was like 1/8 of the bay. But that time, home price is still 400k-ish in the bay, while our wage relatively remains the same. Good thing about NJ is there're abundant of Indian grocery store just like in the bay, that would attract tech talent for sure. In bay the grocery store was like every 0.4 miles, much more easier to find Biryani joint than burger joint. NJ can become tech center due to Rutgers and Princeton, but it never developed, I see Austin and RTP is more developing in tech scene, although there're not much university in RTP. Austin has A&M.

     You kinda answered your own concern by saying that you were considering moving to NJ but didn't due to the relative tech scene. Lets face it. The Bay area has all the infrastructure in place already. Venture capital is very prevalent there. If one has an incredible tech idea then its much more likely to get funded in the bay area vs nj or even austin. Two, the local universities such as Berkeley and Stanford are very unique, internationally known excellence and devoted to the tech scene producing top notch tech folks. 

    Atx has a tech scene but it pales in comparison to the bay area. We have University of Texas and Texas State to the south of Austin. Although both are great universities they aren't in the unique position as Stanford and Berkeley. We do have venture capital but its relatively small. 

    It doesn't really sound like the Bay Area is going through a seismic change in work. https://labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/sanf$pds.pdf According to the data that is coming out the bay area unemployment is at 3.4% and increase from 2.4%. Even though its an increase its not out of the norm for the country. It seems that tech work has decreased but its not a tidal wave nor do I expect it. The bay area has been synonymous with tech innovation for decades. 


     these numbers are far from accurate


     IKR! 


     Most people can't grasp the idea that company like Apple now (yes biggest company in planet earth) has NEGATIVE YoY Revenue in 2023 and they're into cost cutting mode. This is Apple we are talking about, biggest tech co. in the world.

    They say I will kick you out from Cupertino if you don't want to move to Austin LOL tech recession is here.

    Sorry, not to be the nerd in front row correcting the teacher but, Apple is #4, not 1. 

    Walmart still holds #1, followed by Amazon, Exxon than Apple. 

    If look up top 15 state location for Forbes 500 companies, (eh hem, MN #10, lol) I gotta imagine those in CA or NY are going to be strongly looking at this list too and saying "well, wondering if the 25 in OH, 20 in FL, 19 in GA or 18 in MN are having any regret's." and doing some cost-benefit analysis on "what-if" for proven local's of HQ. 

    TX sitting with 49 doesn't seem a coincidence. CA/NY at 53, doesn't seem so much the "power-house" of a "must-be" location anymore, no. Starting to feel more like the hold-out's for yesteryear doesn't it.  

    Side note, #1 largest private company is Cargill, and I believe Carlson Companies is #2. Or vice versa. Both MN based.... just saying. 

    The popularly believed slogans of life revolves around CA, TX, NY, FL, may be a lot more "slogans" than metrics of reality. Not saying any are "bad" just, there is a TON of "life" in other places as well. 


     Hahaha LOL so we should move to MN instead 

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 CA 路 Member since 2023 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Alan F.:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Aaron Gordy:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Yeah, its just what I see, from NJ...

    The sales tax is much higher for one.  That makes it much more regressive.

    As for the property tax, I absolutely admit it I don't know.  If you notice I don't address it directly.  I'm from NY/NJ area and invest locally.  So, "all of you yuse" just don't make sense.  In poking around, in the greater Houston area there is a 8000 sq ft house with yards and pool has a property tax of I think $5.5k...  My 2000 sqft house with some grass, no pool in a purposely cheaper municipality is $15k.  You can't even get a crappy starter home in the "rural areas" out here for less than $7k of taxes  LOL

    Then, there is the CONCEPT that renters do pay property taxes, just indirectly through their rent.

    (shrug) :)


     You live in area near Parsippany ? During dotcom bust I also tried to move out of CA, to your area in NJ near 287/Route 22. But the environment and tech scene there was depressing for someone from the bay LOL  it was like 1/8 of the bay. But that time, home price is still 400k-ish in the bay, while our wage relatively remains the same. Good thing about NJ is there're abundant of Indian grocery store just like in the bay, that would attract tech talent for sure. In bay the grocery store was like every 0.4 miles, much more easier to find Biryani joint than burger joint. NJ can become tech center due to Rutgers and Princeton, but it never developed, I see Austin and RTP is more developing in tech scene, although there're not much university in RTP. Austin has A&M.

     You kinda answered your own concern by saying that you were considering moving to NJ but didn't due to the relative tech scene. Lets face it. The Bay area has all the infrastructure in place already. Venture capital is very prevalent there. If one has an incredible tech idea then its much more likely to get funded in the bay area vs nj or even austin. Two, the local universities such as Berkeley and Stanford are very unique, internationally known excellence and devoted to the tech scene producing top notch tech folks. 

    Atx has a tech scene but it pales in comparison to the bay area. We have University of Texas and Texas State to the south of Austin. Although both are great universities they aren't in the unique position as Stanford and Berkeley. We do have venture capital but its relatively small. 

    It doesn't really sound like the Bay Area is going through a seismic change in work. https://labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/sanf$pds.pdf According to the data that is coming out the bay area unemployment is at 3.4% and increase from 2.4%. Even though its an increase its not out of the norm for the country. It seems that tech work has decreased but its not a tidal wave nor do I expect it. The bay area has been synonymous with tech innovation for decades. 


     these numbers are far from accurate


     IKR! 


     Most people can't grasp the idea that company like Apple now (yes biggest company in planet earth) has NEGATIVE YoY Revenue in 2023 and they're into cost cutting mode. This is Apple we are talking about, biggest tech co. in the world.

    They say I will kick you out from Cupertino if you don't want to move to Austin LOL tech recession is here.

    Sorry, not to be the nerd in front row correcting the teacher but, Apple is #4, not 1. 

    Walmart still holds #1, followed by Amazon, Exxon than Apple. 

    If look up top 15 state location for Forbes 500 companies, (eh hem, MN #10, lol) I gotta imagine those in CA or NY are going to be strongly looking at this list too and saying "well, wondering if the 25 in OH, 20 in FL, 19 in GA or 18 in MN are having any regret's." and doing some cost-benefit analysis on "what-if" for proven local's of HQ. 

    TX sitting with 49 doesn't seem a coincidence. CA/NY at 53, doesn't seem so much the "power-house" of a "must-be" location anymore, no. Starting to feel more like the hold-out's for yesteryear doesn't it.  

    Side note, #1 largest private company is Cargill, and I believe Carlson Companies is #2. Or vice versa. Both MN based.... just saying. 

    The popularly believed slogans of life revolves around CA, TX, NY, FL, may be a lot more "slogans" than metrics of reality. Not saying any are "bad" just, there is a TON of "life" in other places as well. 


     Hahaha LOL so we should move to MN instead 


     Been to Brainerd a couple of times, beautiful area. MN ain't no joke, look at the property values. Now the state bird, a bit scary lol

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Alan F.:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Aaron Gordy:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Yeah, its just what I see, from NJ...

    The sales tax is much higher for one.  That makes it much more regressive.

    As for the property tax, I absolutely admit it I don't know.  If you notice I don't address it directly.  I'm from NY/NJ area and invest locally.  So, "all of you yuse" just don't make sense.  In poking around, in the greater Houston area there is a 8000 sq ft house with yards and pool has a property tax of I think $5.5k...  My 2000 sqft house with some grass, no pool in a purposely cheaper municipality is $15k.  You can't even get a crappy starter home in the "rural areas" out here for less than $7k of taxes  LOL

    Then, there is the CONCEPT that renters do pay property taxes, just indirectly through their rent.

    (shrug) :)


     You live in area near Parsippany ? During dotcom bust I also tried to move out of CA, to your area in NJ near 287/Route 22. But the environment and tech scene there was depressing for someone from the bay LOL  it was like 1/8 of the bay. But that time, home price is still 400k-ish in the bay, while our wage relatively remains the same. Good thing about NJ is there're abundant of Indian grocery store just like in the bay, that would attract tech talent for sure. In bay the grocery store was like every 0.4 miles, much more easier to find Biryani joint than burger joint. NJ can become tech center due to Rutgers and Princeton, but it never developed, I see Austin and RTP is more developing in tech scene, although there're not much university in RTP. Austin has A&M.

     You kinda answered your own concern by saying that you were considering moving to NJ but didn't due to the relative tech scene. Lets face it. The Bay area has all the infrastructure in place already. Venture capital is very prevalent there. If one has an incredible tech idea then its much more likely to get funded in the bay area vs nj or even austin. Two, the local universities such as Berkeley and Stanford are very unique, internationally known excellence and devoted to the tech scene producing top notch tech folks. 

    Atx has a tech scene but it pales in comparison to the bay area. We have University of Texas and Texas State to the south of Austin. Although both are great universities they aren't in the unique position as Stanford and Berkeley. We do have venture capital but its relatively small. 

    It doesn't really sound like the Bay Area is going through a seismic change in work. https://labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/sanf$pds.pdf According to the data that is coming out the bay area unemployment is at 3.4% and increase from 2.4%. Even though its an increase its not out of the norm for the country. It seems that tech work has decreased but its not a tidal wave nor do I expect it. The bay area has been synonymous with tech innovation for decades. 


     these numbers are far from accurate


     IKR! 


     Most people can't grasp the idea that company like Apple now (yes biggest company in planet earth) has NEGATIVE YoY Revenue in 2023 and they're into cost cutting mode. This is Apple we are talking about, biggest tech co. in the world.

    They say I will kick you out from Cupertino if you don't want to move to Austin LOL tech recession is here.

    Sorry, not to be the nerd in front row correcting the teacher but, Apple is #4, not 1. 

    Walmart still holds #1, followed by Amazon, Exxon than Apple. 

    You know what's the similarities between WMT,AMZN,XOM and AAPL. They're all have negative or 1% Revenue Growth YOY in 2023.

    No company is making money expansion in 2023.

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Minneapolis, MN 路 Member since 2011 路 5k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @James Hamling:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Alan F.:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Aaron Gordy:
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Bruce Woodruff

    Yeah, its just what I see, from NJ...

    The sales tax is much higher for one.  That makes it much more regressive.

    As for the property tax, I absolutely admit it I don't know.  If you notice I don't address it directly.  I'm from NY/NJ area and invest locally.  So, "all of you yuse" just don't make sense.  In poking around, in the greater Houston area there is a 8000 sq ft house with yards and pool has a property tax of I think $5.5k...  My 2000 sqft house with some grass, no pool in a purposely cheaper municipality is $15k.  You can't even get a crappy starter home in the "rural areas" out here for less than $7k of taxes  LOL

    Then, there is the CONCEPT that renters do pay property taxes, just indirectly through their rent.

    (shrug) :)


     You live in area near Parsippany ? During dotcom bust I also tried to move out of CA, to your area in NJ near 287/Route 22. But the environment and tech scene there was depressing for someone from the bay LOL  it was like 1/8 of the bay. But that time, home price is still 400k-ish in the bay, while our wage relatively remains the same. Good thing about NJ is there're abundant of Indian grocery store just like in the bay, that would attract tech talent for sure. In bay the grocery store was like every 0.4 miles, much more easier to find Biryani joint than burger joint. NJ can become tech center due to Rutgers and Princeton, but it never developed, I see Austin and RTP is more developing in tech scene, although there're not much university in RTP. Austin has A&M.

     You kinda answered your own concern by saying that you were considering moving to NJ but didn't due to the relative tech scene. Lets face it. The Bay area has all the infrastructure in place already. Venture capital is very prevalent there. If one has an incredible tech idea then its much more likely to get funded in the bay area vs nj or even austin. Two, the local universities such as Berkeley and Stanford are very unique, internationally known excellence and devoted to the tech scene producing top notch tech folks. 

    Atx has a tech scene but it pales in comparison to the bay area. We have University of Texas and Texas State to the south of Austin. Although both are great universities they aren't in the unique position as Stanford and Berkeley. We do have venture capital but its relatively small. 

    It doesn't really sound like the Bay Area is going through a seismic change in work. https://labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/sanf$pds.pdf According to the data that is coming out the bay area unemployment is at 3.4% and increase from 2.4%. Even though its an increase its not out of the norm for the country. It seems that tech work has decreased but its not a tidal wave nor do I expect it. The bay area has been synonymous with tech innovation for decades. 


     these numbers are far from accurate


     IKR! 


     Most people can't grasp the idea that company like Apple now (yes biggest company in planet earth) has NEGATIVE YoY Revenue in 2023 and they're into cost cutting mode. This is Apple we are talking about, biggest tech co. in the world.

    They say I will kick you out from Cupertino if you don't want to move to Austin LOL tech recession is here.

    Sorry, not to be the nerd in front row correcting the teacher but, Apple is #4, not 1. 

    Walmart still holds #1, followed by Amazon, Exxon than Apple. 

    You know what's the similarities between WMT,AMZN,XOM and AAPL. They're all have negative or 1% Revenue Growth YOY in 2023.

    No company is making money expansion in 2023.

    I disagree, strongly. I'd say there revenue increase YOY is ridiculously BIG. 

    Keep in mind, when your annual revenues are already at $600+ billion with a B, that 1% YOY increase, is $6billion with a B. Most companies never attain even $1 billion, in annual revenue. BIG name companies, companies you know as big names, not even $1billion. So $6billion is a BIG #, and for it to just be the additional revenues, in "A" year, a really crappy year of raging inflation supposedly diminishing peoples disposable $...... Yeah, I'd say there killing it. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant 路 Summerlin, NV 路 Member since 2014 路 45k+ posts 路 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @V.G Jason:
    Quote from @Caroline Gerardo:

    @Carlos Ptriawan Myself - was in India in 2022 for work. 1.at Google was in Portugal now back in Bay Area. (Google is doing lay offs in CA with no relocation offers). 2. Eastdil moved him to Dallas ("take the move from SF or layoff), 3. at Blizzard is in Arizona. We work in tech of sorts. The push to leave Newsomland is big. All four of my family members see this trend. 

    I'm back in Southern Cal but shopping for houses in no tax states. 

    Florida hmm... hurricanes, humid, big bugs, gators, blue hairs driving wrong side of road (soon to be one)

    Texas- would not want to be in a border town, property taxes 1.6%, hot, humid on gulf... I lived in Dallas before it was okay

    Arizona- mountain areas desirable, water shortages, hot

    Tennessee- mountain areas desirable, not a lot of cultural things for me, could have a garden, tornados? shopping a little bit 

    Nevada- near Lake Tahoe yes shopping/  near Vegas nope.

    Wyoming- I'm shopping a state you didn't mention- low population can work remote

    It's funny when native californians shop for no income tax states and complain about texas prop tax, but love paying massive income tax in California for years upon years. Never complained then. Now all of a sudden got to take a 180 on income tax & complain about some other tax.


    People will ALWAYS prefer to live and move to the best weather. People will always be FORCED to live and move to where their job(industry) is best suited. If you're one of the few that can choose for yourself, you'll fit where the weather is great and the taxes are suitable--hello Austin, Miami and Nashville.

    Florida's covid influx was strictly the top 1% of people on Wall Street at first-- once they found footing they had enough power in their companies make them follow suit. With Austin, it was celebrities and  hedge funds there before covid, but covid made the migration quicker. These areas were going to get that migration, eventually, Covid just sped it up. Nashville was for the second round of CA migrants that couldn't compete in the Austin wave.

     
    California, for as Newsom as it may be and as tax friendly as it may be, will always catch a bid. I wouldn't live there as a primary, but I am happy there with a second home. Nothing beats it's weather, and the real estate market is showing that tons of folks are still interested in living here as a secondary. 


    me too primary NV  secondary mtn home 45 minutes north of Truckee .  NV when all said with some of the lowest prop taxs in the country along with no income tax makes some sense.. And its a huge difference of having a primary and or rentals in regards to living in CA and having rentals in Tx double whammy on tax's and the other issues in Texas which is weather  and soil issues for foundations.

  • Morris County, NJ 路 Member since 2020 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    2y

    @James Hamling I think OP is only going after tech companies, if they aren't making EVEN MORE money, then apparently soemthing like real estate can't move forward --- or something, I can't figure it out.  I thought most of Apple's factories are overseas.

    @Carlos Ptriawan you do realize that I thought JP Morgan just came out with massive earnings?  Yeah, its slightly under analysts' estimates, but still supposed to be a huge success.  But, thats not tech.  So, how does Apple's performance affect TX, especially with its cuts of which you speak?  I don't understand.  Its work for Apple or nothing?  They won't pay less to match the much cheaper TX cost of living?

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 CA 路 Member since 2023 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @James Hamling I think OP is only going after tech companies, if they aren't making EVEN MORE money, then apparently soemthing like real estate can't move forward --- or something, I can't figure it out.  I thought most of Apple's factories are overseas.

    @Carlos Ptriawan you do realize that I thought JP Morgan just came out with massive earnings?  Yeah, its slightly under analysts' estimates, but still supposed to be a huge success.  But, thats not tech.  So, how does Apple's performance affect TX, especially with its cuts of which you speak?  I don't understand.  Its work for Apple or nothing?  They won't pay less to match the much cheaper TX cost of living?


     You're right Foxconn in China does bulk of hardware manufacturing, that's what happened during the dot bomb/tech wreck. Apple software, R&D, and LOTS of other ventures you wouldn't believe are what's left on US soil. They do have several machine shops though that do prototypes. Moore's law dictates that hardware and software are pretty much 2 separate entities with a symbiotic relationship.

    There's tons of different types of companies within tech. 1 of my kids works on a Zika virus project in data, 1 writes software for gaming, 1 designs and builds robots. 

    The volume of small specialty companies that support these companies is also huge. Many are under 100 employees thus don't report under the warn Act.

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @James Hamling I think OP is only going after tech companies, if they aren't making EVEN MORE money, then apparently soemthing like real estate can't move forward --- or something, I can't figure it out.  I thought most of Apple's factories are overseas.

    @Carlos Ptriawan you do realize that I thought JP Morgan just came out with massive earnings?  Yeah, its slightly under analysts' estimates, but still supposed to be a huge success.  But, thats not tech.  So, how does Apple's performance affect TX, especially with its cuts of which you speak?  I don't understand.  Its work for Apple or nothing?  They won't pay less to match the much cheaper TX cost of living?


    what's funny, most large banks are actually generating large revenue increase YoY in 2023 (WFC,JPM,C) but they have substantial layoffs too, more than 60k people is laidoff from finance sector; most tech company are just having deadbeat revenues with huge layoffs but the tech stock is rising while bank stock is stagnant.

    In term of housing it's confirmed due to those revenue declines Apple and Google is moving talent to Austin. 

    I just checked It's mind boggling Apple software Engineer is paid the same between Austin and Cupertino lol

  • Member since 2019 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan F.:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @James Hamling I think OP is only going after tech companies, if they aren't making EVEN MORE money, then apparently soemthing like real estate can't move forward --- or something, I can't figure it out.  I thought most of Apple's factories are overseas.

    @Carlos Ptriawan you do realize that I thought JP Morgan just came out with massive earnings?  Yeah, its slightly under analysts' estimates, but still supposed to be a huge success.  But, thats not tech.  So, how does Apple's performance affect TX, especially with its cuts of which you speak?  I don't understand.  Its work for Apple or nothing?  They won't pay less to match the much cheaper TX cost of living?


     You're right Foxconn in China does bulk of hardware manufacturing, that's what happened during the dot bomb/tech wreck. Apple software, R&D, and LOTS of other ventures you wouldn't believe are what's left on US soil. They do have several machine shops though that do prototypes. Moore's law dictates that hardware and software are pretty much 2 separate entities with a symbiotic relationship.

    There's tons of different types of companies within tech. 1 of my kids works on a Zika virus project in data, 1 writes software for gaming, 1 designs and builds robots. 

    The volume of small specialty companies that support these companies is also huge. Many are under 100 employees thus don't report under the warn Act.


     large company also do not need to report if they let know the employee they would be cut off in the future but still get paid while do nothing.

    I've seen so many type, immediate layoff, delayed layoffs , no layoff but no work, gone but still get paid haha LOL 

    but one time there's also incentives if you stay in the company while do nothing and not leaving haha LOL I still remember the silly times between 2000-2004. Then after that the focus switched to subprime mortgage in 2008.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.