House hacking at 22 - What I regret...

House hacking at 22 - What I regret...

Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes




I purchased my 1st home at 22 years old straight out of college. 

PP: Aug. 2019 - $356,900 w/ 20% down (borrowed a large chunk of the down payment). 

Refinance: Nov. 2021 - Property appraised for 480K, I completely paid off my second, and the interest rate went from 4.25% to 3.25%

Rents While Living In Property: $2,000 per month. 

Rents After Moving Out: $3,300

I was able to secure a private loan for part of my down payment, as well as have my parents co-sign on the loan (I am extremely fortunate and grateful). 

I lived in one room and rented the other four rooms to college students. 

After about 8 months, I wanted some extra income so I rented out half of my room to my 68 year-old co worker, and separated the room with a curtain....

Here is a photo: 

If I were to go back, I would NOT have done this, but it was a good learning experience. College kids and someone of that age under the same roof tend to butt heads....

Here are some key things I've learned after 4 years of landlording/house hacking: 

1. Communication is HUGE. 

- Being straightforward and honest is extremely helpful when managing tenants. ESPECIALLY when you're living with them. 

- Making sure their responsibilities and your responsibilities are clearly defined, giving heads up about workers coming in to do upgrades/maintenance, being proactive about renewals, deposits, strict about the lease agreement (but lenient when it makes sense), etc. has been instrumental. 

2. It was NOT sexy... 

- Especially renting by the room. I've been woken up late from parties, broken glass, revving engines, etc. 

- I've had to haul away a ton of trash, cans, dirty clothes, etc. Spackle and paint numerous times, fill holes in the wall, have had to wake up early to move my car due to the parking situation, etc. 

- Have had to sit down all five tenants and reset expectations in terms of cleaning (including the 68 year old co-worker).


3. When updating, it probably costs MORE and will take LONGER than you think.

- I was able to refinance, pull out $ to completely pay off the gentleman that loaned me part of the down payment, AND have $20k left over for renovations. (My payment ended up being LOWER still, going from 4.25% down to 3.25%). I was extremely lucky with this timing. This property was purchased in August of 2019. 

- I redid the paint, outlets, switches, flooring, countertops, got new appliances, etc. during the students winter break. I had less than 1 month to get it all done. I confirmed with all of them when they would be gone, and let them know what I was doing. 

- When they got back, there was only about 4-5 days that went by before it was finished, but it was scheduled to be finished a week before they got back. 

Here were the results: 



I have now moved out of the home and I am cash flowing roughly $1k after all things considered (I self-manage).

I regret a few things, but feel unbelievably lucky and grateful with how it went (especially with the timing of the purchase and refinancing). 


Keep pushing forward!!

45Reply
446 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
3y
Quote from @Jake Andronico:
Quote from @Ray Hage:

I give you a lot of credit for starting young and making those mistakes early but most importantly learning a lot! Wish I had the brains to do that at 22! 


 Thank you Ray!! I had a lot of guidance :)


 Well at least you were smart enough to listen! That alone puts you ahead of a lot of people. As individual humans, we like to complain about others not helping or sabotaging our efforts (generally speaking)...but the reality is we usually get in our own way.

 My folks pushed me towards real estate when I was younger as well...I didn't start investing till 33 and even then, I didn't even take it half-a^^ seriously. I really started a bit more seriously at 38-39 lol. If I started seriously in my 20s, I would be probably 3-5x above where I am now (which is still in a very good place).

See this reply in the discussion

58 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 16 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jake Andronico:




    I purchased my 1st home at 22 years old straight out of college. 

    PP: Aug. 2019 - $356,900 w/ 20% down (borrowed a large chunk of the down payment). 

    Refinance: Nov. 2021 - Property appraised for 480K, I completely paid off my second, and the interest rate went from 4.25% to 3.25%

    Rents While Living In Property: $2,000 per month. 

    Rents After Moving Out: $3,300

    I was able to secure a private loan for part of my down payment, as well as have my parents co-sign on the loan (I am extremely fortunate and grateful). 

    I lived in one room and rented the other four rooms to college students. 

    After about 8 months, I wanted some extra income so I rented out half of my room to my 68 year-old co worker, and separated the room with a curtain....

    Here is a photo: 

    If I were to go back, I would NOT have done this, but it was a good learning experience. College kids and someone of that age under the same roof tend to butt heads....

    Here are some key things I've learned after 4 years of landlording/house hacking: 

    1. Communication is HUGE. 

    - Being straightforward and honest is extremely helpful when managing tenants. ESPECIALLY when you're living with them. 

    - Making sure their responsibilities and your responsibilities are clearly defined, giving heads up about workers coming in to do upgrades/maintenance, being proactive about renewals, deposits, strict about the lease agreement (but lenient when it makes sense), etc. has been instrumental. 

    2. It was NOT sexy... 

    - Especially renting by the room. I've been woken up late from parties, broken glass, revving engines, etc. 

    - I've had to haul away a ton of trash, cans, dirty clothes, etc. Spackle and paint numerous times, fill holes in the wall, have had to wake up early to move my car due to the parking situation, etc. 

    - Have had to sit down all five tenants and reset expectations in terms of cleaning (including the 68 year old co-worker).


    3. When updating, it probably costs MORE and will take LONGER than you think.

    - I was able to refinance, pull out $ to completely pay off the gentleman that loaned me part of the down payment, AND have $20k left over for renovations. (My payment ended up being LOWER still, going from 4.25% down to 3.25%). I was extremely lucky with this timing. This property was purchased in August of 2019. 

    - I redid the paint, outlets, switches, flooring, countertops, got new appliances, etc. during the students winter break. I had less than 1 month to get it all done. I confirmed with all of them when they would be gone, and let them know what I was doing. 

    - When they got back, there was only about 4-5 days that went by before it was finished, but it was scheduled to be finished a week before they got back. 

    Here were the results: 



    I have now moved out of the home and I am cash flowing roughly $1k after all things considered (I self-manage).

    I regret a few things, but feel unbelievably lucky and grateful with how it went (especially with the timing of the purchase and refinancing). 


    Keep pushing forward!!


     Jake, great to hear a very transparent story of what can be expected. I'm looking to do something very similar to what you did. What was your preferred method for sourcing/ screening tenants?

  • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
    OP
    Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nick Kramer:
    Quote from @Jake Andronico:




    I purchased my 1st home at 22 years old straight out of college. 

    PP: Aug. 2019 - $356,900 w/ 20% down (borrowed a large chunk of the down payment). 

    Refinance: Nov. 2021 - Property appraised for 480K, I completely paid off my second, and the interest rate went from 4.25% to 3.25%

    Rents While Living In Property: $2,000 per month. 

    Rents After Moving Out: $3,300

    I was able to secure a private loan for part of my down payment, as well as have my parents co-sign on the loan (I am extremely fortunate and grateful). 

    I lived in one room and rented the other four rooms to college students. 

    After about 8 months, I wanted some extra income so I rented out half of my room to my 68 year-old co worker, and separated the room with a curtain....

    Here is a photo: 

    If I were to go back, I would NOT have done this, but it was a good learning experience. College kids and someone of that age under the same roof tend to butt heads....

    Here are some key things I've learned after 4 years of landlording/house hacking: 

    1. Communication is HUGE. 

    - Being straightforward and honest is extremely helpful when managing tenants. ESPECIALLY when you're living with them. 

    - Making sure their responsibilities and your responsibilities are clearly defined, giving heads up about workers coming in to do upgrades/maintenance, being proactive about renewals, deposits, strict about the lease agreement (but lenient when it makes sense), etc. has been instrumental. 

    2. It was NOT sexy... 

    - Especially renting by the room. I've been woken up late from parties, broken glass, revving engines, etc. 

    - I've had to haul away a ton of trash, cans, dirty clothes, etc. Spackle and paint numerous times, fill holes in the wall, have had to wake up early to move my car due to the parking situation, etc. 

    - Have had to sit down all five tenants and reset expectations in terms of cleaning (including the 68 year old co-worker).


    3. When updating, it probably costs MORE and will take LONGER than you think.

    - I was able to refinance, pull out $ to completely pay off the gentleman that loaned me part of the down payment, AND have $20k left over for renovations. (My payment ended up being LOWER still, going from 4.25% down to 3.25%). I was extremely lucky with this timing. This property was purchased in August of 2019. 

    - I redid the paint, outlets, switches, flooring, countertops, got new appliances, etc. during the students winter break. I had less than 1 month to get it all done. I confirmed with all of them when they would be gone, and let them know what I was doing. 

    - When they got back, there was only about 4-5 days that went by before it was finished, but it was scheduled to be finished a week before they got back. 

    Here were the results: 



    I have now moved out of the home and I am cash flowing roughly $1k after all things considered (I self-manage).

    I regret a few things, but feel unbelievably lucky and grateful with how it went (especially with the timing of the purchase and refinancing). 


    Keep pushing forward!!


     Jake, great to hear a very transparent story of what can be expected. I'm looking to do something very similar to what you did. What was your preferred method for sourcing/ screening tenants?

    Thank you! And good for you. It can be a very powerful strategy.

    Screening through Turbotenant has been very good for me. A lot of tenants have come from word of mouth and people bringing in their friends who they go to school with. 
  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Thanks for sharing! Rent by the room is not for the faint of heart. Sharing the same refrigerator and thermostat with strangers is a lot easier said than done...

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
    OP
    Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan Asriants:

    Thanks for sharing! Rent by the room is not for the faint of heart. Sharing the same refrigerator and thermostat with strangers is a lot easier said than done...

    You said it. Thank you man! 
  • Investor · Santa Clara, United States · Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 17 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ray Hage:

    I give you a lot of credit for starting young and making those mistakes early but most importantly learning a lot! Wish I had the brains to do that at 22! 


     Well said!

  • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
    OP
    Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Haiden W.:
    Quote from @Ray Hage:

    I give you a lot of credit for starting young and making those mistakes early but most importantly learning a lot! Wish I had the brains to do that at 22! 


     Well said!

    Thank you man! Much appreciated. 
  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9mo

    As a 22 year old who is about to do the same thing, this was very helpful. Congrats on all your hard work and success

    • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
      OP
      Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Carmen Raad:

      As a 22 year old who is about to do the same thing, this was very helpful. Congrats on all your hard work and success

      Thank you so much Carmen! Glad to hear it was helpful. Congrats to you!! I wish you the best. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.