Where To Begin?

Where To Begin?

Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 3 votes

My partner and I are looking to start our house hacking journey in the fall of 2027. We're from Boston and planning to move to either the Denver area, Austin, or Albuquerque. I'd like to speak to someone about our finances to see what kind of house we can afford in each city. What is the best way to start this process? Speaking to a biggerpockets lender? Appreciate any advice!

1Reply
139 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chad RockeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 383 posts · 181 votes
    3mo

    I’d start with a local lender in each market rather than a national one. Lending guidelines are similar, but local lenders usually know the city-specific loan programs, taxes, insurance costs, and down payment assistance that can materially change what you can afford.

    From there, connect with an investor-friendly agent who specializes in house hacking. They can help you compare not just purchase prices, but rental income potential, neighborhoods, appreciation, and overall investment strategy.

    If Denver is one of the markets you’re considering, I’d be happy to help. I’m the Director of Sales for The FI Team, one of the most investor-friendly real estate teams in Denver. I personally own 10 rental doors, and my specialty is helping buyers use house hacking to build long-term wealth.

    If you’re planning a trip to Denver before your move, I’d be happy to grab a coffee. Otherwise, we can jump on a Zoom call and walk through your goals, finances, and what a house hack here could realistically look like.

  • Leslie VillarealBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2021 · 67 posts · 32 votes
    3mo

    Hi Sarah-

    I have lender contacts that I can recommend in both the Albuquerque and Denver markets. I'll send you a PM!

    Leslie

    The VillaRealty Group- Leslie Villareal545 Reviews
  • Stacy RaskinBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 500 votes
    3mo

    Residential home loans are licensed state by state through the NMLS so something to keep in mind when talking to mortgage brokers or lenders. This is different compared to non owner occupy investment property loans- those can be done in most states without a NMLS license. 

  • Lender · United States · Member since 2020 · 177 posts · 26 votes
    3mo

    A good first step is to talk with a mortgage broker or lender who works with house hackers and investment properties. They can review your income, credit, down payment, and goals, then show you what you can realistically afford in each market. Getting pre-qualified early also helps you compare cities and be ready when it's time to buy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.