Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2025 · 125 posts · 35 votes
5d
Hi John,
You'll want a realtor that is familiar with house hacking and the area to give you the best advice on the potential properties. I recommend reaching out to Josh Green from Impact Realty. He's our go-to realtor for this area and one of the best realtors we work with overall. Happy to connect with you and share his details.
Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2025 · 125 posts · 35 votes
5d
Hi John,
You'll want a realtor that is familiar with house hacking and the area to give you the best advice on the potential properties. I recommend reaching out to Josh Green from Impact Realty. He's our go-to realtor for this area and one of the best realtors we work with overall. Happy to connect with you and share his details.
Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
4d
John, happy to help. I’ve been investing in Tampa for about 25 years and actually got started with house hacking. Over the years I went from 0 to around 40 properties here, so I know a lot of the neighborhoods and what to look for.
If you have a few areas or properties you’re considering, send them over. Happy to share my thoughts and help however I can.
Well I want to know how you were able to get 40 properties? You didn’t just wait till you accrued the down payments and mortgaged all of them? How did that happen. I’m interested in multifamily property. I wanna own a high rise one day. One of those apartment complexes with 800 doors in one building.
Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
2d
It's not as sexy as you might think! LOL. I started by buying distressed properties with conventional financing and very little money down. I'd fix them up myself, live in them for about a year, then move out, rent them, refinance to pull out equity when possible, and repeat. That's basically what I did for the first 10 years through house hacking.
The next 30 properties were a lot easier because I had already built up equity in the earlier ones. I could use HELOCs or cash-out refinances to fund additional purchases. It wasn't about saving up a down payment for every property. It was about buying right, building equity, and using that equity to keep growing. Nothing fancy, just consistency and patience over time!
Investor · Honolulu HI & Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 371 posts · 179 votes
4d
Aloha John,
I'm based in Hawaii, but I have a team on the ground in Tampa. One suggestion: don't limit yourself to on-market listings. Compare them against what's available off-market, because that's often where the better opportunities are.
Right now in Tampa there are:
• 400+ pre-foreclosures
• 6,000+ vacant properties
• 12,000+ tax-delinquent properties
Send me a DM and I'll show you how to pull these lists yourself.
Holy Molly that's a lot that aren't on the MLS? Can you see which ones are duplexes and triplexes or quads? I'm trying to house hack my personal residence and then do multi family commercial real estate properties on the side.
Tampa is surely one of those cities where it makes sense to apply a strategy of house hacking, although I would spend some time analyzing the neighborhoods on the basis of rental prices, insurance rates, taxes, and resale value rather than looking for the cheapest property. It would be helpful to have an experienced realtor in Tampa show you how it works.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3d
John, I'm from Florida as well, and with Tampa I'd focus on the numbers at the neighborhood level rather than looking at the entire market as one. For a house hack, I'd compare neighborhoods based on purchase price, realistic rent for the units or rooms you plan to rent, property taxes, insurance, HOA costs if applicable, and how easily you could rent the property after you eventually move out.
I’d also look closely at flood exposure and insurance before getting too attached to a property. In Florida, those costs can change the economics of a house hack pretty quickly.
From the tax side, remember that when you live in part of the property and rent another part, the rental and personal portions can have different tax treatment. Keeping your purchase, improvement, and rental expense records organized from the beginning will make that much easier later.
If you find a few Tampa properties you're considering, I'd be happy to send over our Turn Key Rental Analyzer so you can compare the numbers.
Feel free to DM me, I’d be happy to send some resources over.
Lender · MD · Member since 2025 · 203 posts · 78 votes
18h
Hi John,
Tampa can be a solid market for house hacking, but neighborhood selection is one of the biggest factors. I'd focus on areas with strong rental demand, reasonable commute times, and properties where the rental income can offset a good portion of your monthly payment.
Before narrowing down neighborhoods, I'd also make sure you understand your financing options and budget so you know exactly what types of properties make sense. That will help you evaluate opportunities much more confidently.
I'm a mortgage broker and work with first-time buyers and house hackers. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like to compare financing options or discuss your strategy.