Mid Term Rentals in Columbus

Mid Term Rentals in Columbus

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 23 posts · 29 votes

Hi Columbus investors. Anyone in the group running their properties as fully furnished mid-term rentals (outside of traveling nurse programs)? I recently received an inquiry about one of my properties from summer interns working for JPMorgan Chase and it got me thinking about what other traveling professionals outside of the healthcare industry are out there that we could market our property to. I’d love to connect with somone whose done this strategy for awhile and see how they run and advertise their mid-term rentals.

11Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 203 posts · 247 votes
4y

It is a great idea. I had a property right near Riverside that I ran as a Airbnb that KILLED it. I considered doing a mid-term but decided against it because airbnb was similar in my eyes and outperformed what mid-term projected. 

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    We own properties in Columbus. Have found that mid-term rentals do not have that much upside over normal one-year leases when taking into account turning of units and potential vacancy gaps. It's much easier to do with properties near OSU or close to downtown. OSU also has a number of property management offices who offer listings

  • Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 203 posts · 247 votes
    4y

    It is a great idea. I had a property right near Riverside that I ran as a Airbnb that KILLED it. I considered doing a mid-term but decided against it because airbnb was similar in my eyes and outperformed what mid-term projected. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 38 votes
    3y

    Hi Shyd - Just curious if you ended up doing the MTR in Columbus?  Currently wondering the same and would love to see how that went if you took the plunge. 

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sonia N.:

    Hi Shyd - Just curious if you ended up doing the MTR in Columbus?  Currently wondering the same and would love to see how that went if you took the plunge. 


     Columbus can be good for mid terms, especially if you get next to a hospital. Maybe consider checking out Cleveland. MTRs can do very well up there because the have some of the best hospitals in the world

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shyd Coloma:

    Hi Columbus investors. Anyone in the group running their properties as fully furnished mid-term rentals (outside of traveling nurse programs)? I recently received an inquiry about one of my properties from summer interns working for JPMorgan Chase and it got me thinking about what other traveling professionals outside of the healthcare industry are out there that we could market our property to. I’d love to connect with somone whose done this strategy for awhile and see how they run and advertise their mid-term rentals.


     I have rented fully furnished rooms here in Columbus to college students and travel nurses. It has not been bad for me it has allowed me to make more on the room. I also have an Airbnb that people have asked to rent for a month at a time. So if you are interested in doing that I would be marketing it on Airbnb, Furnish Finders, and campus. Because you find a lot of people searching through those sites. 

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    What area are you airbnbs in?

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 38 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:
    Quote from @Sonia N.:

    Hi Shyd - Just curious if you ended up doing the MTR in Columbus?  Currently wondering the same and would love to see how that went if you took the plunge. 


     Columbus can be good for mid terms, especially if you get next to a hospital. Maybe consider checking out Cleveland. MTRs can do very well up there because the have some of the best hospitals in the world


     Agreed.  We're located 1/2 mile from Nationwide Children's Hospital so all the more curiosity on how people are faring in the furnished MTR space.  We're currently only on AirBnb and Vrbo but seriously considering longer stays to get more occupancy.

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sonia N.:
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:
    Quote from @Sonia N.:

    Hi Shyd - Just curious if you ended up doing the MTR in Columbus?  Currently wondering the same and would love to see how that went if you took the plunge. 


     Columbus can be good for mid terms, especially if you get next to a hospital. Maybe consider checking out Cleveland. MTRs can do very well up there because the have some of the best hospitals in the world


     Agreed.  We're located 1/2 mile from Nationwide Children's Hospital so all the more curiosity on how people are faring in the furnished MTR space.  We're currently only on AirBnb and Vrbo but seriously considering longer stays to get more occupancy.


     If its a double you could always try with on unit just to see!

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shyd Coloma:

    Hi Columbus investors. Anyone in the group running their properties as fully furnished mid-term rentals (outside of traveling nurse programs)? I recently received an inquiry about one of my properties from summer interns working for JPMorgan Chase and it got me thinking about what other traveling professionals outside of the healthcare industry are out there that we could market our property to. I’d love to connect with somone whose done this strategy for awhile and see how they run and advertise their mid-term rentals.


    My MTR gets more per month Airbnb than FF (even after fees) and books quicker. The market for MTR is way bigger than traveling nurses. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 38 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:
    Quote from @Sonia N.:
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:
    Quote from @Sonia N.:

    Hi Shyd - Just curious if you ended up doing the MTR in Columbus?  Currently wondering the same and would love to see how that went if you took the plunge. 


     Columbus can be good for mid terms, especially if you get next to a hospital. Maybe consider checking out Cleveland. MTRs can do very well up there because the have some of the best hospitals in the world


     Agreed.  We're located 1/2 mile from Nationwide Children's Hospital so all the more curiosity on how people are faring in the furnished MTR space.  We're currently only on AirBnb and Vrbo but seriously considering longer stays to get more occupancy.


     If its a double you could always try with on unit just to see!


    Funny you mention that. This one in Columbus is a SFH but I'm doing that for a duplex in Huntsville currently!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 38 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Conner Olsen:
    Quote from @Shyd Coloma:

    Hi Columbus investors. Anyone in the group running their properties as fully furnished mid-term rentals (outside of traveling nurse programs)? I recently received an inquiry about one of my properties from summer interns working for JPMorgan Chase and it got me thinking about what other traveling professionals outside of the healthcare industry are out there that we could market our property to. I’d love to connect with somone whose done this strategy for awhile and see how they run and advertise their mid-term rentals.


    My MTR gets more per month Airbnb than FF (even after fees) and books quicker. The market for MTR is way bigger than traveling nurses. 


     Hey Connor - This is for your Columbus properties?  What other listing sources are you using (other than Furnished Finders) if you don't mind sharing?

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sonia N.:
    Quote from @Conner Olsen:
    Quote from @Shyd Coloma:

    Hi Columbus investors. Anyone in the group running their properties as fully furnished mid-term rentals (outside of traveling nurse programs)? I recently received an inquiry about one of my properties from summer interns working for JPMorgan Chase and it got me thinking about what other traveling professionals outside of the healthcare industry are out there that we could market our property to. I’d love to connect with somone whose done this strategy for awhile and see how they run and advertise their mid-term rentals.


    My MTR gets more per month Airbnb than FF (even after fees) and books quicker. The market for MTR is way bigger than traveling nurses. 


     Hey Connor - This is for your Columbus properties?  What other listing sources are you using (other than Furnished Finders) if you don't mind sharing?


    I don't have MTR properties in Columbus, just Austin, TX. FF, Airbnb, VRBO, FB Marketplace, FB groups. 

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    3y

    I have 26 Mid-Term units in Dayton and Colombus and manage another 40.

    It absolutely works. You just got to treat it like a business and get reservations from other sites and most importantly direct booking

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    Hi Columbus investors! Would anyone be kind enough to recommend a RE broker they really liked? 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shyd Coloma:

    Hi Columbus investors. Anyone in the group running their properties as fully furnished mid-term rentals (outside of traveling nurse programs)? I recently received an inquiry about one of my properties from summer interns working for JPMorgan Chase and it got me thinking about what other traveling professionals outside of the healthcare industry are out there that we could market our property to. I’d love to connect with somone whose done this strategy for awhile and see how they run and advertise their mid-term rentals.

    Hi Shyd, I run some of my properties as mid-term rentals for travelling professionals outside of the healthcare industry, and I absolutely would love to help and discuss this further with you. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    MTRs are poised for success IMO in Columbus with the job growth that is transpiring there. 

  • Title Representative · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2023 · 82 posts · 51 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kusum Chanrai:

    Hi Columbus investors! Would anyone be kind enough to recommend a RE broker they really liked? 


     Hi Kusum, I would recommend talking with Scoot Mortgage, a broker with offices in Columbus and Pittsburgh. I've worked with them several times, and they are great to work with! https://www.scootmortgage.com/

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2023 · 139 posts · 81 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Conner Olsen:
    Quote from @Shyd Coloma:

    Hi Columbus investors. Anyone in the group running their properties as fully furnished mid-term rentals (outside of traveling nurse programs)? I recently received an inquiry about one of my properties from summer interns working for JPMorgan Chase and it got me thinking about what other traveling professionals outside of the healthcare industry are out there that we could market our property to. I’d love to connect with somone whose done this strategy for awhile and see how they run and advertise their mid-term rentals.


    My MTR gets more per month Airbnb than FF (even after fees) and books quicker. The market for MTR is way bigger than traveling nurses. 


     Yes I completely agree.  Most people think it's just traveling nurses and being close to hospitals.

  • New to Real Estate · WA · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Do you just mean posting ads at the college campus? Or was there a website you were referring to?
  • SF Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jimmy Lieu:
    Quote from @Shyd Coloma:

    Hi Columbus investors. Anyone in the group running their properties as fully furnished mid-term rentals (outside of traveling nurse programs)? I recently received an inquiry about one of my properties from summer interns working for JPMorgan Chase and it got me thinking about what other traveling professionals outside of the healthcare industry are out there that we could market our property to. I’d love to connect with somone whose done this strategy for awhile and see how they run and advertise their mid-term rentals.

    Hi Shyd, I run some of my properties as mid-term rentals for travelling professionals outside of the healthcare industry, and I absolutely would love to help and discuss this further with you. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!

     Hi Jimmy, may I ask what areas you are in in Columbus for MTR?  We are newbies and were looking for LTR, but have decided we would like to focus on MTR.  Have heard mixed messages for MTR in Columbus, so would love to hear your thoughts as someone who has MTR in Columbus. Thanks!

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shyd Coloma:

    Hi Columbus investors. Anyone in the group running their properties as fully furnished mid-term rentals (outside of traveling nurse programs)? I recently received an inquiry about one of my properties from summer interns working for JPMorgan Chase and it got me thinking about what other traveling professionals outside of the healthcare industry are out there that we could market our property to. I’d love to connect with somone whose done this strategy for awhile and see how they run and advertise their mid-term rentals.

    Indeed the world of people searching for midterm rentals is MUCH broader than just the travel nurse niche. I'm curious how the JP Morgan placement rep found and contacted you? Are you listed on Airbnb, FF, others? 
  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 1 vote
    3y

    Columbus Ohio has ramped up their Construction in and around downtown. You should reach out to Kokosing Construction or ODOT- Ohio Department of Transportation. To see if they need housing for their workers, I'm sure they have a vast amount of out of town workers staying in Hotels. Just a helpful idea. Also with them building the new tech company out towards New Albany Ohio which is just Northeast of Columbus I'm sure there's plenty of contractors that will need housing as well.

  • SF Bay Area · Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kusum Chanrai:

    Hi Columbus investors! Would anyone be kind enough to recommend a RE broker they really liked? 


    Hi Kusum, I would definitely give Jon Styer a call.  He is in Columbus, OH and I highly recommend him.  He is the broker/owner.   https://styerrep.com/

  • Lender · Manhattan Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 423 posts · 268 votes
    3y

    Hi @Shyd Coloma,

    I'm based in Southern California, but I have started my out-of-state real estate journey in Indianapolis. Now, I have a portfolio of Short Term Rentals and Long Term Rentals. I've started looking at Columbus because my business partners have found success doing Mid Term Rentals there and the returns are solid.

    I've also helped other investors with their DSCR loans and flip projects in Columbus. Happy to share my experiences and chat with you more if you're interested.

  • Investor · RI · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Shyd Coloma:

    Hi Columbus investors. Anyone in the group running their properties as fully furnished mid-term rentals (outside of traveling nurse programs)? I recently received an inquiry about one of my properties from summer interns working for JPMorgan Chase and it got me thinking about what other traveling professionals outside of the healthcare industry are out there that we could market our property to. I’d love to connect with somone whose done this strategy for awhile and see how they run and advertise their mid-term rentals.


     Hi Shyd, Im researching MTR in Columbus and found your post from 2 years ago.  How has your experience been in the MTR market since?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.